Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Breezer/nexus sound question

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-06-07, 04:54 PM
gbrandt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

I've had my 07 Uptown for about a month now. It's a great utility bike. I've been tweaking everything (lbs did a terrible job assembling it) and I'm still waiting on the proper light package from Breezer (07 Uptowns shipped with the wrong lights).

Here's my question for other Breezer Uptown owners or anyone else using a Nexus 8/Premium 8 hub:

When I pedal, I'm getting a sound sort of like a treadmill makes. Not quite a grinding, not quite a rubbing. But more like a sound that signifies some sort of resistance somewhere. Almost the same sound as an external light generator makes. Is this normal?

I don't recall hearing this on my test ride of an 06 model. But it may have been there.

I checked the chain guard, no rubbing. I checked brake pads, no rubbing. It only seems to be present when pedaling, not coasting which leade me away from the front hub generator as a source...but maybe?

Anyway, I'm perplexed. It's not impeding my cycling. But it is slightly annoying nonetheless.

Any clues?

-geoff
Old 05-06-07, 06:05 PM
legot73
meep!

Bikes: 2006 Kona Jake, 2005 Giant Lite Xtracycle, 2004 Trek L200, 1997 Specialized RockHopper FS, 1989 Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That happened with my Nexus 8, too. I noticed it most in 4th gear, and would shift to 5 just to avoid it. I think it goes away after some break-in. I'm picturing a few planetary gears spinning around making the noise, kind of like a 5-speed car in reverse.
Old 05-07-07, 05:52 AM
KnoxBreezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you checked to make sure the shifter is calibrated and set properly? Do the little yellow lines on the shifter arm near the hub line up when you are in 4? If so, I imagine it's just a little noise from new parts. I know mine is louder, and makes noticeably different sound in direct drive 4th gear. I seem to recall a pretty distinct noise from my hub when I first got my Breezer... don't notice it now, so I'm not sure if I just got used to it, or if it went away
Old 05-07-07, 08:40 AM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't notice it now, so I'm not sure if I just got used to it, or if it went away
That's sort of been my experience. At first I recall hearing noises is some gears, while not in others. I don't know if they went away or I just got used to them too. If it's a quieter day or I ride by a wall when the sound bounces back to me I think I hear things, but I'm not sure. As KnoxBreezer indicate, make sure the yellow lines meet up in 4th gear. As long as it isn't a definite grinding noise then I think you'll be okay.
Old 05-07-07, 10:56 AM
gbrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unkchunk
That's sort of been my experience. At first I recall hearing noises is some gears, while not in others. I don't know if they went away or I just got used to them too. If it's a quieter day or I ride by a wall when the sound bounces back to me I think I hear things, but I'm not sure. As KnoxBreezer indicate, make sure the yellow lines meet up in 4th gear. As long as it isn't a definite grinding noise then I think you'll be okay.

Thanks all. I'll check out the 4th gear & line up issues to make sure. I dropped a note to Breezer as well. Like I said, not a showstopper, but irritating. I'm so used to the perfectly quiet stroke of my road bike. I have to remember that this is a different animal.

One other note - the 07 ships with Schwalbe "city plus" (I think that's the name) tires that are puncture resistant. I know of the Marathon & the Marathon PLus by the same company. Are these roughly equivelent? I do know they feel hard & heavy and to be honest "seem" slow (very subjective on my part). However, they corner well at high speeds once I get them going. Maybe I'm just always riding up hill and don't know it :-)

-geoff
Old 05-07-07, 08:24 PM
gbrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok - couldn't see the yellow line. I have the full chain guard and will need to remove it to see anything. Tomorrow.

As for noises. I rode a very quiet stretch today. And in addition to the "conveyor belt" noise which I'm getting used to, I heard a distinct clicking while pedaling in 1st through 4th gears. 5th-8th was silent in this respect (i.e. no clicking).

It's not like when coasting, but definately there. I put it on the stand back in the garage and verified it. Again - is this "normal" for this bike/hub?

This is one noisy bike.

I read the 06's had a bottom bracket issue. Could this be that problem?

I'll also drop a note to Breezer on this.

-gb