Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 04-25-19, 05:26 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
recently, i broke my collar bone again. That makes three breaks, all on the left collarbone. Once again got it repaired surgically, the difference now is that i have 2 A events around 6 and 7 weeks out from the surgery. last two times, i was not in a rush and took my sweet time with recovery.
Is there anyone out there with information or experience on making a relatively quick return to racing? I am still on the fence what is smart. i am now a week out of surgery and i got the ok from my doc to start up again with riding, starting out on the trainer at first.
any input is welcome.
Old 04-25-19, 09:22 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by gerundium
recently, i broke my collar bone again. That makes three breaks, all on the left collarbone. Once again got it repaired surgically, the difference now is that i have 2 A events around 6 and 7 weeks out from the surgery. last two times, i was not in a rush and took my sweet time with recovery.
Is there anyone out there with information or experience on making a relatively quick return to racing? I am still on the fence what is smart. i am now a week out of surgery and i got the ok from my doc to start up again with riding, starting out on the trainer at first.
any input is welcome.

In 2010 I broke my collar bone, had head trauma, broken ribs, punctured lung. I raced 6 weeks after the crash. Started winning again 8 weeks after the crash. In retrospect it was all kinda stupid. In face, modern concussion protocol would have made that all ill advised now. Three collar bone breaks? I retired from mass start racing last year after my third race related surgery.
Old 04-28-19, 12:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,644 Posts
^
yeah, I think I'd be done at that point too
Old 04-28-19, 12:15 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,644 Posts
I volunteered at the veloswap this morning, and picked up these carbon tubular track wheels for $200. Sweet!!!! I've been riding some alloy box section tubulars for years.

one of them came with a Conti Sprinter. Gonna peel that off.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-28-19, 05:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,992 Times in 4,453 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I volunteered at the veloswap this morning, and picked up these carbon tubular track wheels for $200. Sweet!!!! I've been riding some alloy box section tubulars for years.
Latigo means "whip".
Likes For big john:
Old 04-28-19, 09:53 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
So that episode of Game of Thrones may be the best piece of media I've ever seen. Between Endgame coming out on Thursday and this.. I'm not sure how anything will ever live up to this.
Old 04-29-19, 05:37 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Thank you for not mentioning any spoilers, as I have not yet seen either.

I can't really watch GOT on Sunday nights. It comes on too late, and there is generally so much going on, I end up thinking about it all night. I prefer to tape it and watch it when I get home on Monday, so I have a few hours to settle after the show before going to sleep.
Old 04-29-19, 01:17 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
It was a crazy weekend. Endgame and GOT in addition to Hockey and NBA playoffs with Euro Soccer nearing the end of season.

Because of my name in Zwift I'm always egged on to do Captain America references; my last ride everyone lost it when I typed 'Assemble' in chat....lol nerd right?

Or they call me yg. Not sure what that's about.
Old 04-29-19, 02:03 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
It was a crazy weekend. Endgame and GOT in addition to Hockey and NBA playoffs with Euro Soccer nearing the end of season.

Because of my name in Zwift I'm always egged on to do Captain America references; my last ride everyone lost it when I typed 'Assemble' in chat....lol nerd right?

Or they call me yg. Not sure what that's about.
Should just make lots of references to your past doping program. PEDs - the true American hero!
Old 04-29-19, 02:04 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I have yet to watch a single GOT episode. Is it any good? LOL
Old 04-29-19, 04:53 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I have yet to watch a single GOT episode. Is it any good? LOL
I watched a bit of it a few years ago. Graphic violence, fire breathing dragons, medieval fantasy, not for me. But then I never got into that type of video game, either.
And get off my lawn.
Old 04-29-19, 06:54 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

It's honestly kinda become a cultural phenomenon at this point. NPR is doing weekly episode recaps, and I know very few people who dont watch it. The books are different from the show and more focus on the politics and relationships than the violence and sex. But I only ever finished two of the books.

Then again I'm about as nerdy as it comes so it makes sense I'm into all this ****.
Old 04-29-19, 10:14 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I don't understand how everyone on the entire planet is apparently paying for HBO except me.
Old 04-29-19, 10:17 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I don't understand how everyone on the entire planet is apparently paying for HBO except me.
When I was in college I got a free HBO membership. Since then I was hooked on the show plus many of the other things that spring up on YouTube. Amazon is offering an hbo membership as well.

Also, Game of thrones is the most pirated piece of media ever iirc.

Game of Thrones: for HBO, piracy is 'better than an Emmy' as it battles Netflix
Old 04-30-19, 10:47 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Flatballer
We literally subscribed 5 minutes before the season premiere. I wonder what the new subscription numbers are for HBO this month, it must be equivalent to what stores get during Christmas shopping.

We used to pay cable and my wife wanted the full channel package, that went from $175 a month to a hair over $300 last year (less than a 10 year period) so we cut the cord and halved it.

While I found Endgame and all around masterful movie and this GOT episode somewhat lackluster (compared to other GOT episodes) that last 5 minutes of GOT dominated water cooler talk at work. Definitely saved the episode.
Old 05-01-19, 03:46 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I watched a bit of it a few years ago. Graphic violence, fire breathing dragons, medieval fantasy, not for me. But then I never got into that type of video game, either.
And get off my lawn.
I'm with you!

Never watched it but lost interest at "dragons & princesses", although I feel like I watch it since everyone (except us) watches it and talks about it nonstop.

my race videos
Old 05-01-19, 04:56 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
I refuse to believe it's already May, my son is one year old, Spring is almost over.

What's happening to time?
Old 05-01-19, 09:49 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I just finished a long conversation (in COS over beer) with a person from USAC that affects every member. We discussed philosophies, drugs, junior gears, doping, women's racing and categories and USAC mission.
I got at least 4 years of BF posting all done in 2 hours.
It was pretty exciting. I was happy to know, they knew the kids I knew, and the adults too.

I'm not trying to tease, or troll, but when I mentioned my BF posting tendency was asked not to provide further detail.
Likes For Doge:
Old 05-02-19, 06:23 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by mattm
I'm with you!

Never watched it but lost interest at "dragons & princesses", although I feel like I watch it since everyone (except us) watches it and talks about it nonstop.
When I first saw previews, I had no interest. It looked silly. Somewhere around season 3 or 4, we put it on because there was nothing else on TV and became intrigued. So we started watching it from the beginning. We ended up binge watching the first 3 or 4 seasons over about two weeks. It's incredibly entertaining.

I did learn early on though to not read about it online or look it up on IMDB - which will tell you who dies.

Honestly, at this point, my wife is much more into it than I am, but I do want to see how it ends.

(I also tried reading the books and could not get into it. A friend who has read them told me I was lucky. He said he felt like he wasted four months of his life reading those books.)
Old 05-02-19, 06:51 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4223 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
(I also tried reading the books and could not get into it. A friend who has read them told me I was lucky. He said he felt like he wasted four months of his life reading those books.)
For me it was just a lot of commutes on the T, but what else was I going to do? I know I'm not going to re-read them if the 6th and 7th ever come out because they are just too much. I haven't watched the series. I've thought about watching the first 5 seasons as a review before reading book 6 if it ever comes out, but, at that point, one might just as well just watch the last 3 seasons and finish it up that way. My wife gave me season1 5-6 years ago for my birthday, but I haven't opened it yet. That, and the extended version of The Hobbit are just sitting there waiting for me to watch them, and I like fantasy fiction. Just can't get up the energy to put in the hours those will require.
Old 05-02-19, 10:55 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by himespau
For me it was just a lot of commutes on the T, but what else was I going to do? I know I'm not going to re-read them if the 6th and 7th ever come out because they are just too much. I haven't watched the series. I've thought about watching the first 5 seasons as a review before reading book 6 if it ever comes out, but, at that point, one might just as well just watch the last 3 seasons and finish it up that way. My wife gave me season1 5-6 years ago for my birthday, but I haven't opened it yet. That, and the extended version of The Hobbit are just sitting there waiting for me to watch them, and I like fantasy fiction. Just can't get up the energy to put in the hours those will require.
GOT was one of two shows I've binge watched with my wife - Making a Murderer was another one. Mostly I watch TV while doing intervals on the trainer. (I don't do Zwift) so that is one option if you want to try to watch it.
Old 05-02-19, 03:47 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by topflightpro
When I first saw previews, I had no interest. It looked silly. Somewhere around season 3 or 4, we put it on because there was nothing else on TV and became intrigued. So we started watching it from the beginning. We ended up binge watching the first 3 or 4 seasons over about two weeks. It's incredibly entertaining.

I did learn early on though to not read about it online or look it up on IMDB - which will tell you who dies.

Honestly, at this point, my wife is much more into it than I am, but I do want to see how it ends.

The books are okay, but they're much slower and many more characters. I found myself having to wiki names because they'll have a Bob Johnson, Bob Johanssen, and Bob Jackson in the same book (aliases, but you you get the point). Its really a collection of stories in the same timeline (akin to the TV Show) and some of them are quite boring.
Old 05-02-19, 08:50 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by himespau
Save yourself from the hobbit if you liked the book. It's the only lord of the rings book I've ever been able to read and i still thought the movies were not good. Funny thing is I love the lotr movies despite being utterly unable to make it through the books.
Old 05-09-19, 04:40 AM
topflightpro

The garbage disposal wasn't working, so I went to the store and bought a new one. (It was actually a lot easier to install than I expected.) But the new one doesn't work either.

After some troubleshooting, I figured out the issue wasn't the disposal but the power source. It appears the outlet isn't delivering power. It was a tripped breaker, as the light on the same breaker works. I'm heading to the hardware store this morning to buy a new switch and outlet. Hopefully that fixes it.

(Regardless, we needed a new garbage disposal.)
Old 05-09-19, 08:02 AM
big john

I washed my mountain bike on Monday and found cracks around the spoke holes all around the rear rim. It's an odd size, 27.5, 35mm internal width, and worst of all, 28 spokes. I wrote to WTB and they don't make them anymore, or anything with 28 holes, ( the bike was new last year). DT Swiss make a rim and a local builder will build me one for about $220. For $300 I can get a whole wheel with 32 spokes online.

Since I stopped working I have spent hundreds on my car and now my bikes are getting into the act. Last night Mrs. John started on about a new TV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.