Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

380lb man looking at fat bikes

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 04-18-18, 09:18 AM
Lcweightlose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, brand new member and this is my first post. I have started eating healthy and trying to take care of my self. It seems that doing a bike ride every night could assist me in loosing weight. I have three children and a wife that all have bikes and they ride every night ( I walk) the problem is I don’t have a bunch of money to fork out for a bike. I received a link about a mongoose mountain bike. It’s a 26x4 in wheel with a steel frame. And just wondering if this bike would hold up for a while till I can build up a big enough fund for a good bike. Please and thank you for all your comments and help!
Old 04-18-18, 06:23 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
It's about 25lbs heavier than a nice one. Rides a little rough and will have generally more issues.

However, if you are cruising around the neighborhood at slow speed and just having fun with the kids, it's perfect.

I would be happy to ride dirt roads with it but probably nothing too bumpy, steep, or with fast corners.

It sure sounds like it fits your needs. It's like $250 isn't it? Test ride it first. If it puts you back into a healthier lifestyle, it's perfect.
Old 04-19-18, 02:53 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Diet is more important to weight loss than your intended exercise routine.
But exercise is still a good thing.
The cheapest Fat Bikes come w/o front brake, avoid them.
Fat Bikes do great on soft surfaces, but tend to roll and steer heavily on roads.
Unless you ever plan on riding on snow/mud/sand I suggest you look for a hybrid/regular width bike instead. If you get into riding more seriously, there’s ”always” a reason to keep a utility/bad-weather/spare bike around.
Old 04-19-18, 06:44 AM
Lcweightlose

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
It's about 25lbs heavier than a nice one. Rides a little rough and will have generally more issues.

However, if you are cruising around the neighborhood at slow speed and just having fun with the kids, it's perfect.

I would be happy to ride dirt roads with it but probably nothing too bumpy, steep, or with fast corners.

It sure sounds like it fits your needs. It's like $250 isn't it? Test ride it first. If it puts you back into a healthier lifestyle, it's perfect.

Yea, it’s about 250 bucks. And I would just be riding around a fresh paved street at low speeds.. I have been eating very well and have been losing pretty decent weight with the walking every night and the eating right. I was 407 about three months ago. And now I’m just trying to do a little more... I would ride at a slow pace for much longer distances then what I would walk. It hurts my shins after a while of walking ( over an hour or so) but the route we take is about 1.3 miles and if I had the bike I could probably triple that and be happier. I have also been doing a lot of sit ups and push ups and yoga type stuff in the evenings.
Old 04-19-18, 07:58 AM
PdalPowr

Bikes: Norco hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Let other riders chime in on this as I am a relative newbie.
We larger riders are tough on our bikes especially the wheels.
Keep an eye on your spokes.

It sounds like you are developing shin splints.
I get them sometimes. A good heat rub and massage always helped me.
Don't be tempted to do more if you feel better. You are in luck though.
A bike is much easier on the shins.
Old 04-21-18, 03:49 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lcweightlose
And I would just be riding around a fresh paved street at low speeds.
This is exactly what I do on my fatbike. It's a leisure tool for me. Being healthy is more than just the physical side. I find that riding my fatbike in nice weather gives me a real feel-good buzz that sets me up nicely for the next 24 hours. The ensuing mental wellbeing then encourages me to take even greater care of the physical side of things.

One real bonus of fatbikes is that nobody on the streets is angry at you - lots of people stop and stare and give a thumbs up. It's a great feeling!
Old 04-22-18, 09:43 PM
Ryan Olivas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you'll be riding on dirt or plain roads at a lowspeed then I think it'll be okay. Have fun and a safe bike trip with your family
Old 04-23-18, 09:58 AM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
at 6'6'' and 350+ lbs yes I beat the crap out of every bike I own....and so will you. Even the top of the line bikes with original equipment will not last long. What I typically do is, buy the bike I fit on and upgrade the parts as I destroy them. The first thing that will typically break is the seat/seat post then the pedals, chain, free hub, brakes and then spokes/wheels.
Old 06-01-18, 11:38 AM
chris93263

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how's your progress going? have you made a decision? if so, how's the bike holding up? if you still have shin splint issues, lay down and flex your shins for five minutes. this should make your foot come up toward your knee. do this for a few nights, and the pain will go away.
Old 06-05-18, 09:56 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
at 6'6'' and 350+ lbs yes I beat the crap out of every bike I own....and so will you. Even the top of the line bikes with original equipment will not last long. What I typically do is, buy the bike I fit on and upgrade the parts as I destroy them. The first thing that will typically break is the seat/seat post then the pedals, chain, free hub, brakes and then spokes/wheels.
Looked at some steel Surlys?
Old 06-05-18, 10:04 AM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Looked at some steel Surlys?
It is the only bike I purchase.
I have a 64cm DT and an XXL ICT
Old 06-05-18, 12:17 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Got 3 of them, a 1x1, cross check and a Karate Monkey. While at only 250 lbs with gear, they seem to be lasting fine.
Old 07-16-18, 07:57 PM
lmtada

Bikes: Trek Fuel 100, GT Road Bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up used Kona Wo. Sturdy ride. Looks like fun. Good luck.
pb43
Old 05-16-19, 07:24 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Lcweightlose
Hey everyone, brand new member and this is my first post. I have started eating healthy and trying to take care of my self. It seems that doing a bike ride every night could assist me in loosing weight. I have three children and a wife that all have bikes and they ride every night ( I walk) the problem is I don’t have a bunch of money to fork out for a bike. I received a link about a mongoose mountain bike. It’s a 26x4 in wheel with a steel frame. And just wondering if this bike would hold up for a while till I can build up a big enough fund for a good bike. Please and thank you for all your comments and help!
I think the bike you're talking about is perfect for what you want. GO for it!!
Old 05-17-19, 08:10 AM
flieger

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo, 2021 Fatback Corvus

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
That's what I did, started out on a Mongoose Hitch around the neighborhood. Gradually started riding ditches, vacant lots etc. My intent was not weight loss initially, it just looked like fun with those fat tires. Lost 35 pounds so far, after eight months. The thing about a Mongoose is that it is so heavy you will lose weight and if you break it it's no big loss. After 30 pounds of weight loss I got a used Kona Wo and love it.
Old 05-17-19, 02:36 PM
Weresquatch

Bikes: Just the normal stuff, cruisers, duilies, fatbike, road bikes, single speeds...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
What's your budget?
Old 05-23-19, 06:06 AM
darwink1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
It'll be fine man. When you feel you need a better bike sell the goose and buy an better one.

D