Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Alloy wheels on a carbon bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 08:41 PM
Brad Bike
That guy

Bikes: 2012 Felt FC build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I'm a novice rider who got an amazing deal on a bike built on a 2016 Felt FC 1 frame. It has carbon everything, including the wheels, which are an older set of Novatec 52mm tubulars. The tires are great quality (relatively new Continental GP 4K tires with low miles), but I really don't want the hassle of riding tubulars, and the tires are narrower than I'd like at 22mm.

As a relative newbie, I'm having trouble justifying spending $1K or more on a new set of carbon clinchers. A couple of veteran riders have told me just to get a pair of aluminum wheels and I probably won't be able to tell much difference. But my LBS is telling me I'd regret not investing in carbon, especially from a ride comfort standpoint. (Although my first bike was an all-aluminum entry level Trek, and I never felt uncomfortable riding it.)

So what do you guys think? Would you feel weird putting a pair of Campy Zondo C17's (or similar alloy set) on this bike?
Old 05-31-18, 08:45 PM
afham07

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any problem or concern any alloy wheels on the carbon bike but at least a mid range of alloy wheel for better performance. Not those 2kg wheels without tyres.
Old 05-31-18, 08:53 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Bike
But my LBS is telling me I'd regret not investing in carbon, especially from a ride comfort standpoint.
wut. That's dumb.

Get a carbon wheelset if you want some deep/moderately deep rims that are still relatively light and/or for the bling factor (hey, cool wheels are cool). Otherwise, you're not going to be unhappy with the performance of a good alloy wheelset.
Old 05-31-18, 09:05 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Your LBS wants to sell you carbon wheels because they're more money.
Old 05-31-18, 09:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Your LBS wants to sell you carbon wheels because they're more money.
+1.

find a new LBS.
Old 05-31-18, 10:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
???

Totally normal to have alloy wheels on an carbon bike. Most people I know who race save their carbon wheels for race day and have Al training/commuting wheels for every day.

And the biggest factor in ride comfort is tire quality.
Old 05-31-18, 10:03 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Either they're willing to tell you any old crap to sell you stuff, or they don't realise that wheels are not a factor in ride comfort. The vertical deflection of a rim in a wheel with adequate spoke tension is a poofteenth of bugger-all.

I'd recommend a lightly used set of Shimano's carbon-laminated ally rims; they're awesome. The front rim weighs 365g, and there's an aluminium brake track. Bladed straight-pull 16/20, offset rear rim, and I don't care what anyone says; Shimano's high-end hubs are the best you can get. C24* RS80, RS81 or Dura-Ace can be had in decent nick for as little as $400 if you're lucky. I picked up a worn set of RS80s for AU$200 - the rear rim is close to maximum wear, but I barely use the rear brake, and they were as true as the day they came out of the factory. The only caveat is to check for corrosion under the rim tape; they don't like salt air.

*The C24 variant is the lightest and cheapest option; I think there are two deeper sizes but of course they're heavier and more expensive, and instead of an offset rear there's triplet lacing, which isn't as good a solution for increasing NDS tension because they're harder to true and it's just not as robust.

Last edited by Kimmo; 05-31-18 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-31-18, 10:09 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
You've already got carbon wheels.

Buy alloy so you can beat them up without worry.

If you miss the feel of carbon, just swap the old wheels back on for a Sunday ride.
Old 05-31-18, 10:57 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Bike
I'd regret not investing in carbon, especially from a ride comfort standpoint.
There is no truth to this statement.

This LBS is not doing you a service.

-Tim-
Old 06-01-18, 06:27 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Yeah, carbon wheels won't affect ride comfort.

They theoretically will provide an aerodynamic advantage, but aluminum clinchers are more than fine. I only use my carbon tubulars in races. All other riding is on aluminum clinchers.
Old 06-01-18, 07:27 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
There is no comfort standard for wheels.

5 PSI will make more a difference than anything about the wheels. Your LBS is simply playing you for a fool to get you to buy something you don't want. I'd find another.
Old 06-01-18, 08:43 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Most carbon bikes come with aluminum wheels. There's nothing wrong with it.
Old 06-01-18, 08:52 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Just buy yourself a set of Meilenstein Lightweights and you are done.
Old 06-01-18, 09:13 AM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Either they're willing to tell you any old crap to sell you stuff, or they don't realise that wheels are not a factor in ride comfort. The vertical deflection of a rim in a wheel with adequate spoke tension is a poofteenth of bugger-all.

I'd recommend a lightly used set of Shimano's carbon-laminated ally rims; they're awesome. The front rim weighs 365g, and there's an aluminium brake track. Bladed straight-pull 16/20, offset rear rim, and I don't care what anyone says; Shimano's high-end hubs are the best you can get. C24* RS80, RS81 or Dura-Ace can be had in decent nick for as little as $400 if you're lucky. I picked up a worn set of RS80s for AU$200 - the rear rim is close to maximum wear, but I barely use the rear brake, and they were as true as the day they came out of the factory. The only caveat is to check for corrosion under the rim tape; they don't like salt air.

*The C24 variant is the lightest and cheapest option; I think there are two deeper sizes but of course they're heavier and more expensive, and instead of an offset rear there's triplet lacing, which isn't as good a solution for increasing NDS tension because they're harder to true and it's just not as robust.
I considered the C24 but it's a 17mm/20.8mm and I'm a 25c queen. Shimano leader said they have no intention of going to the new industry standard of 19/23 because of weight and costs. Love Shimano but their wheelset team is a little too nostalgic and stubborn for my tastes.
Old 06-01-18, 09:28 AM
Elvir

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you tend to see locals on a group ride or such and they are riding aero wheels, you can always ask them if they are willing to sell you their stock wheels if buying new is too much. nothing wrong with alloy wheels, especially for beating up day to day.
Old 06-01-18, 10:30 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
I considered the C24 but it's a 17mm/20.8mm and I'm a 25c queen. Shimano leader said they have no intention of going to the new industry standard of 19/23 because of weight and costs. Love Shimano but their wheelset team is a little too nostalgic and stubborn for my tastes.
I confidently run 23 and 25 on my C24s.

Great wheels.
Old 06-01-18, 01:00 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My Felt F2 came with alloy and I ditched them for some Carbon Williams wheels and loved ridding the bike but living in the land of rain(Seattle) decided I could ride more with alloy because of braking concerns with carbon. Now I only use alloy wheels. Personally I have had great luck with November wheels and ride quality isn’t any different from carbon to alloy, tire pressure and tire choice get more results than the wheel material. Bike shops crack me up with the sales b.s. being slung about.
I was told by a shop once that Roval was the gold standard and if I didn’t pick up a set of deep profile wheels over any thing else I would regret it. BTW, shop had six sets to offload. I liken bike shop sales to used car salesman. This is the same shop that delivered a brand new Tarmac with literally no adjustments made. I spent over an hour dialing in everything before a real ride could be made. Not all shops suck but things like what the op stated keep me from really giving any shop loyalty.
Old 06-01-18, 01:47 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I agree with the masses here. I have some good quality alloy rims and some blingy 45 mm deep carbon rims on a fairly high end carbon frame. The aluminum wheels actually ride a little bit softer (same tires, same pressures.) I am thinking it's because the spokes are super thin and also longer, so they move around a bit, but that's just a guess. In any case, the carbon wheels look awesome and make cool sounds, but they really don't make me any faster 98% of the time, and I can't actually tell during the remaining 2%. The aluminum rims brake a little better. Decent alloy rims are just fine for just about any non-competitive riding, bling factor notwithstanding.
Old 06-01-18, 01:49 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
If anything, carbon rims are stiffer and the spokes are shorter = less comfort.
Old 06-01-18, 03:28 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

Great wheels.
It was my 2nd choice. I guess I got scared away from those bulbous charts. I wasn't sure if 25c would be too much for it so I just erred on the side of caution and picked Fulcrum Zero which were cheaper anyway.

Last edited by exime; 06-01-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 03:44 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by exime
It was my 2nd choice. I guess I got scared away from those bulbous charts. I wasn't sure if 25c would be too much for it so I just erred on the side of caution and picked Fulcrum Zero which were cheaper anyway.
Fulcrum Zeros are nice. I've got two sets of carbon wheels but run my Zeros most of the time.

Old 06-01-18, 04:16 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
If anything, carbon rims are stiffer and the spokes are shorter = less comfort.
he could also buy a 25mm depth CF hoop, and lace it 3x.

Either way, the LBS is giving bad advice.
Old 06-01-18, 04:44 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
???

Totally normal to have alloy wheels on an carbon bike. Most people I know who race save their carbon wheels for race day and have Al training/commuting wheels for every day.

And the biggest factor in ride comfort is tire quality.
I agree on all of the above. Your LBS is selling you some malarkey.

My C59 and C60 run on aluminum wheels.

Get yourself a good set of tires and maybe latex inner tubes and you will be good to go.

Have fun and ride safely.
Old 06-01-18, 05:24 PM
Brad Bike
That guy

Bikes: 2012 Felt FC build

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You guys are awesome. This is certainly what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate the thoughtful, real-world responses. As someone who is just now getting into the whole road biking thing (and loving every minute of it), advice like this is worth its weight in gold!
Old 06-01-18, 06:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

Great wheels.
Me too - 25 mm Rubino Speed G+ on C24 wheels.

I run 25 mm tires on wheels with 13 mm inside width. People say it isn't aero, won't handle right, isn't supported by the manufacturer, is dangerous, is responsible for the sinking of the Titanic, blah blah blah... It rides perfectly fine.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.