Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 07:28 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by 2cam16
Your guess is as good as mine,Law! lol
No traces of the original decals.

Does it have a groove tube or a through tube?
Old 12-13-17, 09:39 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Does it have a groove tube or a through tube?
Through tube like my Karakoram so I'm thinking around that era of GT. Early 90's.
Old 12-14-17, 09:58 AM
3speedslow

Go wild then, SS rain bike beater for that GT.
Old 12-14-17, 12:57 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Go wild then, SS rain bike beater for that GT.
Unfortunately it hardly rains here. lol
I'll see what I can come up with with my parts bin. Thinking drop bar.
Old 12-14-17, 06:48 PM
Pathfinder27

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Haanjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Campy Groupset

May not count as C&V but I just picked up a box of Campy Chorus parts for free yesterday. I spent the afternoon today cleaning them up. I don't have a frame for the lot yet so now I'm on the hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2848.jpg (238.1 KB, 511 views)
IMG_2847.jpg (210.0 KB, 511 views)
IMG_2846.jpg (229.5 KB, 518 views)
IMG_2844.JPG (236.0 KB, 513 views)
Old 12-14-17, 08:25 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Nice, you get the wheels also?
Old 12-16-17, 07:24 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
I picked up these wheels the other day for $50. One front wheel is a Record the other a Centaur. I believe the rear is a Centaur. All are laced to Mavic Open Pro rims. The guy I bought them from wanted to get rid of them because he said "I'm not a Campy guy". They are in great shape. I will be putting them on one of my Pinarellos.
Attached Images
IMG_0591.jpg (789.3 KB, 429 views)
Old 12-16-17, 08:00 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett
I picked up these wheels the other day for $50. One front wheel is a Record the other a Centaur. I believe the rear is a Centaur. All are laced to Mavic Open Pro rims. The guy I bought them from wanted to get rid of them because he said "I'm not a Campy guy". They are in great shape. I will be putting them on one of my Pinarellos.
Nice pickup. It was tough not to contact him and see if he would ship them.
Old 12-16-17, 08:05 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rjhammett

Bob, if you end up with an orphaned 32 hole OP, I might be able to reuse it.

I ordered a SP dynamo for my Della Santa and it would be nice to have a matching set.

My current OP front has a couple of rim nicks that bug me and I couldn't sand them out.
Old 12-16-17, 11:19 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket to keep this lucky streak going. Yes, I read all the posts about this one, but it was free and needed a good home.
JD, Dallas
Looks like an easy fix a seatecktomy and a barwrapittus and this patient will live Doctor. The thing I want is that cool mini work stand. It's only the second one I've ever seen and I can't seem to find one. Does it have a name or maker?
Old 12-16-17, 11:34 PM
Crossthreaded88

Bikes: Cannondale M500, Electra Cruiser 7, Schwinn Cruiser 3 2003 retro, Trek Calipso Cruiser 7sp, Dyno Taboo Tiki, Dyno Moon Eyes, Dyno Duece, Dyno Moto 7

Next!

I guess I'm on a roll here. Not finding rare old Italian or French stuff but bikes do seem to continue to fall in my lap despite my declaration to buy no more bikes. Cool old lugged steel 58cm frame Nishiki Century with all Suntour on it. Araya rims with rusted spokes. I never have devised a way to do anything to deal with rusty spokes short of re-lacing them with new ones. Wire brush then oil treatment is the best I can come up with that's not both labor intensive and expensive. I'm all ears if someone has more knowledge or ideas. Anyway cleaned and tuned with a good used seat and it's ready to be a useful member of society once again.
Attached Images
100_2271.jpg (932.3 KB, 413 views)
Old 12-17-17, 06:10 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossthreaded88
.......Araya rims with rusted spokes. I never have devised a way to do anything to deal with rusty spokes short of re-lacing them with new ones. Wire brush then oil treatment is the best I can come up with that's not both labor intensive and expensive. I'm all ears if someone has more knowledge or ideas......
I guess it depends on your idea of labor intensive but I've had decent results masking the rim and then covering them with rags soaked in white vinegar for a few hour's. Rinse and hit the really deep stuff with aluminum foil dipped in water. Rinse well, let dry overnight then coat them with clear enamel to r-e-t-a-r-d ( 😮SERIOUSLY?! ) re-oxidation. YMMV but I've been satisfied with it.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 12-17-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-17-17, 10:10 AM
pfaustus

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Super Touring, 1980? Trek 620, 1964 Dunelt, 1991 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 80's Peugeot Vagabond, '74 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
I never have devised a way to do anything to deal with rusty spokes short of re-lacing them with new ones. Wire brush then oil treatment is the best I can come up with that's not both labor intensive and expensive. I'm all ears if someone has more knowledge or ideas.
I've done the oil thing, but it needs redoing quickly. I've sprayed silver spray paint into a rag and rubbed the spokes down for a little protection and camouflage. I'm testing hitting galvanized spokes with cold galvanizing spray to replace lost zinc after the steel wool treatment. So far so good, but too soon to reach any conclusion.
Old 12-17-17, 12:29 PM
Crossthreaded88

Originally Posted by jim dandy
He you go ... Amazon ... hope link works for you ...
Regards, JD
Thanks yes it worked. Not exactly the same as yours but close, yours looks a little more simple the way I remember the first one I saw with the thick piece of plastic tubing around the hook. You know this item does not come up upon search for bike stand of any type that's probably why I've never been able to find one. Without your link I'd still be in the dark. Much obliged JD.
Old 12-17-17, 12:43 PM
Crossthreaded88

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I guess it depends on your idea of labor intensive but I've had decent results masking the rim and then covering them with rags soaked in white vinegar for a few hour's. Rinse and hit the really deep stuff with aluminum foil dipped in water. Rinse well, let dry overnight then coat them with clear enamel to r-e-t-a-r-d ( 😮SERIOUSLY?! ) re-oxidation. YMMV but I've been satisfied with it.
Well after brushing 72 spokes on both sides with a wire tooth brush my hand and arm were seriously cramped up and the effects were still present the next morning. I like the idea of vinegar I have had major success with chain using it. I've heard of using foil but always thought it was an old wives tale good to know. Wow somebody censored you ahh the PC world in which we live. I'm unfamiliar with YMMV? Your Madness May Vary? Thanks for the info.
Old 12-17-17, 12:52 PM
Crossthreaded88

Originally Posted by pfaustus
I've done the oil thing, but it needs redoing quickly. I've sprayed silver spray paint into a rag and rubbed the spokes down for a little protection and camouflage. I'm testing hitting galvanized spokes with cold galvanizing spray to replace lost zinc after the steel wool treatment. So far so good, but too soon to reach any conclusion.
Better bikes through science I like it. If spokes weren't so expensive we wouldn't be having this conversation. The LBS gets $2 a spoke for SS spokes. I know I can get them online for less but stainless is still pricey. The thing is that by time you massage every last spoke and especially where they cross and at the hub you have expended a vast amount of labor and brutal eye straining attention. Wish I had a buddy with a PW spoke machine. Thanks.
Old 12-17-17, 04:37 PM
Murray Missile 

...... I'm unfamiliar with YMMV? Your Madness May Vary?
Well, there IS that! BUt it usually means, "Your Mileage May Vary." Yeah, the aluminum foil really works, I was a skeptic for a long time and then figured I'd give it a try, wish I'd given in years ago.
Old 12-17-17, 06:07 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
Originally Posted by tiredhands
I spotted this last week at the junkyard and couldn't stop thinking about it all week. I was hoping it would be older, but its probably a late 60s - early 70s Peugeot PE41. It may not be special in the larger world of vintage bikes, but stuff like this doesn't come around often in my town. It'll be an exercise in advanced rust removal, if not futility. Seatpost is steel, so that's out, but the stem's not moving. Challenge accepted!
If the frame turns out to be salvageable, I'm going to rely on you guys to help me find the parts to put it back together!

-----

Congratulations on the find of this rare-in-the-U.S. model!

Are the brake calipers Weinmann Symmetric?

wrt dating -

This model of Prestige shift lever first appears in a Juy catalogue of 1970. Bicycles fitted with it did not enter the U.S. market prior to 1971.

The Prestige model rear mech is contemporaneous. It will be marked with a date on the back side of the inner cage plate. See illustration below.

The cycle's Rigida SUPERCHROMIX rims have small diamond symbols next to the name. There may be a two digit number inside the diamond. This is the year of manufacture.
Attached Images
Rigida rim date marking .jpg (258.9 KB, 325 views)

Last edited by juvela; 12-17-17 at 06:10 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-17-17, 07:51 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Congratulations on the find of this rare-in-the-U.S. model!

Are the brake calipers Weinmann Symmetric?

wrt dating -

This model of Prestige shift lever first appears in a Juy catalogue of 1970. Bicycles fitted with it did not enter the U.S. market prior to 1971.

The Prestige model rear mech is contemporaneous. It will be marked with a date on the back side of the inner cage plate. See illustration below.

The cycle's Rigida SUPERCHROMIX rims have small diamond symbols next to the name. There may be a two digit number inside the diamond. This is the year of manufacture.
Thanks for the info! It looks like the rims have “74s” inside the diamonds, so that means it’s a 74. I’ll check the derailleur when I tear it down. I’m also guessing that because they are 700c rims that this bike was made for a European market? I know nothing about old French bikes and kinda hoped it would be old enough to have 650b rims.
And yep, they are Weinmann Symmetric brakes.
Old 12-17-17, 09:35 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Yes @tiredhands, sounds like it was built for the domestic european market. Perhaps originally purchased by a traveler or member of the armed forces.

-----
Old 12-18-17, 07:10 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
No pics but a story. Took a driving trip recently to visit my MIL. I stopped at the local library to pick up a couple movies. Outside I saw a cool old Univega touring bike so naturally I paused to gawk for a minute, and just then a guy walked out the door, looked at me and said "Are you a bike guy?" "Well, sure," I said, thinking he was going to try to sell me the bike, which would have been an easy "no" as it was way too big and I had a 1200 mile drive home. Instead he said "Someone gave me some bike wheels, and I have nothing to do with them. They look pretty nice. Do you want them? Otherwise they will likely get tossed." That was an easy yes. So I went to see what they were (low expectations of course) and came home with 3 free wheelsets - 600 hubs with nice 27" Mavic rims; Sante hubs with mis-matched rims; Dura Ace hubs with Mavic tubular rims.
So apparently gawking can sometimes pay off.
Old 12-18-17, 07:46 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Well, there IS that! BUt it usually means, "Your Mileage May Vary." Yeah, the aluminum foil really works, I was a skeptic for a long time and then figured I'd give it a try, wish I'd given in years ago.
Just Saturday night I was able to use the vinegar/aluminium foil trick for some rusted roller axle shafts from a donor gas dryer for my current dryer which developed severe squeaking while running. At 1am, I tackled the teardown, dust cleanout, replacement of shafts and rubber wheeled rollers (with plain oilite bearings not unlike RD pulleys) and new belt (had all the parts on hand from a repair kit I ordered long ago. I added a smidge of automotive wheel disc brake wheel bearing grease for good measure and buttoned it all back up in just under 2 hours.

The vinegar / aluminum foil worked very well and I got the shafts back to relatively gleaming and smooth within 15 minutes of soak and rub/dab work. I'll be very interested to try this out on the chrome parts on a corroded and long suffering garaged Raleigh Professional and an Italvega Super Speciale that has some rusty areas on DT and TT.

Originally Posted by due ruote
No pics but a story. Took a driving trip recently to visit my MIL. I stopped at the local library to pick up a couple movies. Outside I saw a cool old Univega touring bike so naturally I paused to gawk for a minute, and just then a guy walked out the door, looked at me and said "Are you a bike guy?" "Well, sure," I said, thinking he was going to try to sell me the bike, which would have been an easy "no" as it was way too big and I had a 1200 mile drive home. Instead he said "Someone gave me some bike wheels, and I have nothing to do with them. They look pretty nice. Do you want them? Otherwise they will likely get tossed." That was an easy yes. So I went to see what they were (low expectations of course) and came home with 3 free wheelsets - 600 hubs with nice 27" Mavic rims; Sante hubs with mis-matched rims; Dura Ace hubs with Mavic tubular rims.
So apparently gawking can sometimes pay off.
Super. What type of 27" clinchers would you recommend for something like that?
Old 12-18-17, 08:47 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by mech986
The vinegar / aluminum foil worked very well and I got the shafts back to relatively gleaming and smooth within 15 minutes of soak and rub/dab work. I'll be very interested to try this out on the chrome parts on a corroded and long suffering garaged Raleigh Professional and an Italvega Super Speciale that has some rusty areas on DT and TT.
I've even used aluminum foil dipped in water on a set of oxidized aluminum chainwheels with decent results. I then hit them with some Mother's. Didn't look "new" but they looked a helluva lot better!
Old 12-19-17, 05:42 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
miyata

picked this up as a new donation at the co-op. it has rust around the cable guides and is filthy. it has a complete set of arabesque 600 components except for the headset and maybe the hubs. the tube badge says miyata champion. i am guessing this is a 912. i will post more later.
Attached Images
miyata.jpg (1.16 MB, 539 views)
Old 12-19-17, 05:58 PM
3speedslow

Did you just get yourself another orange bike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.