Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

CALM ME DOWN!! Test ride, Trek 7100 vs Giant Cypress ST, women's

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 07:13 PM
goagain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Woohoo! I finally got to test ride a bike!!! (BS#3)

For those who don't enjoy my conversational posts:
Please advise which is probably the better bike for me, the Trek 7100 WSD, or the Giant Cypress ST W. You know me by now--older newbie, casual rides, mostly pavement, HILLS, nothing rough.

The Trek is a lot more pricey; is it worth it??

Cypress ST: cromo frame, rigid cromo fork, 700x38 tires, a pretty light blue, 14" XS, playing hard to get, $330
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....w/7339/44538/

7100: aluminum frame, suspension fork, 700x35, beautiful metallic light blue, 13.5" XS, sitting there in the shop looking pretty, $460 --Ouch! But they give a 5% gift card after a year.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ybrid/7100_wsd

For those who don't mind reading, and/or like to see people have to eat their words:

I decided to visit BS#3, farther away and sells Trek, just to see what else was out there, but honestly mainly to get their opinion on what size bike I need. This as a prelude to revisiting BS#2. I just had to have another opinion on size before I went back to BS#2! Then, I spent so much time nosing around the Trek shop, looking at carriers, helmets, this and that, that it got too close to closing time for me to make the drive to BS#2, so I have that to do tomorrow.

How-ev-er, I have fallen in love with a color (light metallic blue, "Coastal blue"). I am trying to tell myself it is only puppy love. My heart really likes that metallic blue, but I know I should NOT base my decision on a color!!! I was also hoping to check out the Trek 7000 just for the heck of it, which I did get to see in its unassembled state, but its platinum/silver just isn't as beautiful as that blue. It has a steel rigid fork even though it's aluminum framed. And I'm not in love with the silver, so it cannot steal me away from the elusive Cypress. Scratch the 7000 for now.

My mind is replaying these things I've read in many posts here and on the other forum:
1. "I hate that suspension fork."
2. Aluminum rides harsh.
3. A decent suspension fork alone costs close to $500.
4. Cromoly is good.
5. "Trek bikes are over-priced at every price point."
etc etc etc

The lovely coastal blue bike is aluminum with a (wash my mouth out with soap) suspension fork. But it was my size, and BS#3 was super nice to me, and I actually got to ride the thing!!! He even raised the saddle a bit, which took him 4 seconds. They apparently deal with lots of newbies and women. As in BS#1 and #2, BS#3 guy said that I need size XS. He had the blue bike in both XS and S. He didn't really do anything re size but look at me straddling the bike and said "13 inch." As I expected, I really could not tell much from the test ride. Nothing jumped out at me as being bad or uncomfortable, but I have no clue as to fit, etc., and nothing jumped out at me as being fantastic (except the color). I probably wouldn't recognize problems or fantastic-ness. The bike still seemed tall, but that's probably because I'm not used to riding, especially 700c wheels. I was just glad I did not fall off, crash, or make too much of a fool of myself. He even let me ride down a short steep hill, which sadly I had to walk back up.

Sorry, I'm babbling. Anyway, I was very tempted to buy the lovely blue bike on the spot, but I still want to check out the Cypresses at BS#2. The guy at BS#3 said the dreaded suspension fork would make a negative difference on *long* hills, but probably would not be noticeable on shorter hills like I would be doing. ?? He did say that he would not recommend a high tensile (cheap and heavy) steel bike, but that cromoly (cromo?) bikes were good and gave a smooth ride. Of course, he didn't have any of those; they are hard to find.

OK, I need some color-blind opinions on the Trek 7100 WSD vs the Giant Cypress ST W, the model I actually wanted (unless it rides horribly or something). Please convince me to wait for my true love, if that's what's best for me!

I plan to revisit BS#2, hopefully try the Cypresses (wrong model/right size and right model/wrong size), and see if he can get the cromo model in size XS as he had said he would do, but didn't. I am afraid he won't want to do that, though.

I was so amazed at someone actually encouraging me to try a bike that I almost ran away with the puppy love Trek. HELP ME, friends!! (Friends don't let friends buy the wrong bike.)

Man, that blue was pretty. But would Mr. Suspension Fork break my heart (and bank account)? help.....

Last edited by goagain; 06-06-11 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 08:15 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Trek make bikes with rigid forks. It sounds like this guy is down playing the advantages of a rigid fork because he has suspension fork bikes to sell. Merchants are slimy, never forget that.

The Cypress ST W may be hard to find. Perhaps the marketing people underestimated the purchasing people.

Quit saying you know nothing about sizing a bicycle. You know more than most people.

What do you mean when you say the bike felt tall?
Old 06-06-11, 08:51 PM
mjwithtwins

Bikes: 2011 Trek Utopia, 1999 Klein Quantum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is my opinion that you are putting way too much into the whole steel v. Aluminum and suspension v. No suspension issues. At the level of riding you are talking about doing and the price point you are buying I don't think you will notice one bit of difference. There are so many factors that impact your riding experience and frame material is just a minor part of it. Fit is number one, then you have variances in all of the other things from material, suspension, tires, air pressure, seats, handlebar position, handle bar grips, pedals, and so on.

But those are all on a spectrum, fit isn't or at least not on as broad of a spectrum. So above all else get a bike that fits. After that just get the bike that appeals to you the most and don't under value the color because if you don't like the way your bike looks you won't want to ride it As much. Sounds silly but it is true! Especially for a beginner. As you become more and more addicted to bikes different things will start to appeal to you but at whatever level you are as a rider you have to like your bike to want to ride it.

Another factor to consider is service. I believe in patronizing shops that give good service. It doesn't sound like you are getting that from the giant dealers. People can whine about treks all they want but in my experience the dealers tend to be very good about encouraging new riders. That is a great business move on their part but for whatever reason it is a good thing for a new rider to be comfortable going into their shop and
asking for help. The fact that you received helpful service at the trek dealer would be a huge point in favor of the trek bike if you ask me. In all the time you have been jerked around by the giant dealers you could have been out riding.

So if it were me I would go for the trek.
Old 06-06-11, 09:22 PM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would say at your price point do what feels good and don't look back. Too many people giving advice in total absolutes has your head spinning.

There is nothing wrong with a suspension fork. Yeah, it adds some weight and may not be totally necessary but at some point you are going to go over some rough stuff and it will smooth out the ride. The purpose in a suspension fork in a bike of this caliber is not to shred a mountain so you don't need a $500 fork. It's to simply emphasize the comfort aspect of riding.

Overall, from what I've seen regarding Trek prices (I've owned 2) whether they are overpriced or not is dependent more on the bike shop and time of year than anything else. Closer to MSRP with any of the major brands (except for Giant maybe) is going to result in a bit of an overpriced bike. Treks being overpriced at every price point is total bull when compared to similar manufacturers (Cannondale, Specialized, etc.). I'd say don't worry about the price and if you love the color and overall look get the bike. I know 3 people that have a 7100 and they all like them. I'd say get one of the two bikes you mentioned and not worry about it; you are going to love either one because it's the bike you'll be riding.

Last edited by knobd; 06-06-11 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 10:49 PM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, qms, mj, and knob!

@qms-- Those wheels still look gigantic, and even though BS#3 guy said he didn't raise the seat quite as high as it really needed to be, it "seemed" high to me, like I was way up in the air. My knee still had a good bit of bend at the bottom of the pedal stroke, so it's probably that I just haven't ridden in decades. My DIL's 26" wheel bike that I rode down the driveway felt gigantic to me, too. And the size S Cypress at grumpy BS#1 seemed to come up to my head, although I'm sure it really didn't. They just all seem big and tall right now. I did try to pay special attention to the handlebar reach, and that seemed OK today. My toes hit the wheel when I was turning (I forgot to do what you said, in my excitement), but he said that was not uncommon with smaller frames, didn't mean the bike was too small, and to just try to remember to do what you'd told me to do--pedals at 12 and 6 when turning slowly.

Actually, he did have a rigid fork bike in stock, XS, still in the box. He went back and got it and unpacked it so I could see the color, and said he'd get it put together tomorrow so I could ride it. But I told him not to just for me. It's aluminum framed with a steel fork, and the silver/platinum color looked OK but not fantastic, so I'm not really considering that bike at present. If I absolutely can't get the Cypress cromo model, I guess I would consider the silver Trek--it's the 7000-- if you folks here think it's better for me than the blue one (7100). I told him I liked the blue one much better except for the suspension fork. If I made it sound as though he was pushy, he really wasn't. I was asking him a zillion questions about the blue one. He said they sell a lot of them and he hasn't had any problems yet with the forks, but admitted they are slightly harder to pedal on long hills. I asked him how much weight the fork added over a rigid one, and he said probably about a pound. I think it's aluminum, too. He said the bike probably weighed in the low 30's. I still don't "get" why there are so many aluminum bikes with suspension forks out there in this low price range; those are about all you can find in stores. He had several on the floor but only the one rigid fork bike still packed up. Same with the other two BS's. I guess everyone but me must want them. ??? Does that mean I'm wrong?

@mj--
I do see your point!
BS#1 (Giant) wasn't helpful at all, gave me bunk info about cromo bikes, and charges more than the list price to boot.

BS#2 (Giant) was helpful to a point and talked with me, except they didn't offer me a test ride or to even sit on the bikes they had, although admittedly they were all the wrong size. They did take the trouble to weigh one of their similar bikes when I asked about weights. He said he would order the model I wanted in XS, but according to the person I spoke with on the phone, that's not what they received. I've still got to revisit them and I'll ask what happened on that. I suppose their service was "fair" considering they had nothing in my size in stock. It would be nice, though, if they kept smaller bikes in stock.

BS#3 (Trek) has by far been the friendliest and most helpful, and that does matter. And, unlike the others, they actually had bikes in stock in size XS! Their store was probably as large as the other two put together. BS#3 just had a different attitude and I felt more welcome and comfortable there. Otherwise, I'd have probably been out the door much more quickly. When I started the great bike search, I was hoping to not spend more than $400, and the Trek 7100 is $460, really above what I thought I could justify for my very casual, and perhaps infrequent, riding. But there I was, test riding it anyway.

I think I am too hung up over details, but then again, if the fork is actually going to make it harder for me to climb all those hills in my neighborhood, that may be a factor that needs consideration. I guess it is debatable how much difference it will really make, and it's encouraging that you think it probably won't make enough difference to worry about. I was disappointed, but not surprised, that I couldn't climb the test ride hill today. It was shorter but somewhat steeper than the hills on my street. I'm not good with the gears but it was in one of the lower gears. Boy, I'm out of shape! I am hoping I'm not biting off more than I can chew with this bike thing. My neighborhood is really the only convenient place I have to ride, and it's hilly in every direction.

I agree about the color, too! At my age, and I'm a very practical and patient person, I was surprised that I fell so in love with that light metallic blue! I am determined that I will not buy the brown bike even if I turn out to like the model (suspen fork) better. I know I want a pretty color. I really ALMOST eloped with the blue bike today. LOL

@knob--
You and mj are basically giving me the same advice. At some point, I need to DO something, even if it's wrong. My OCD self has to give the Cypress one more shot, though. I've put too much effort in it to give up without a revisit.

The Treks aren't more expensive than most of the brands, but they are a little more than the Giants, which are the only other brand I have reasonable access to. My husband would say $130 is not worth agonizing over on a one-time purchase, but it is over a third more than the $330 bike. I guess I'm looking for a little reassurance that I will get my money's worth if I decide to go that route. I'm a fairly frugal person by nature, but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. This is probably the only bike I'll ever buy, unlike most people on this forum. Is the Trek at all better quality than the other bike?

I'm hoping you good people can help me with my decision when I revisit BS#2. Assuming they indeed don't have the model I wanted in my size, I will need to decide what to do:
A) They may be cooperative and order the model and size I need quickly.
B) They may say I can special order it if I'm willing to pay shipping and then a restocking fee if I decide I don't like it. (Those hopefully would still keep the price under $400, but I just don't think I should have to pay them, in principle.) Both A and B will require waiting, although hopefully not too long. How long should I wait? They may say go away--no, surely not!
C) I can give up on the Cypress and my self-imposed price limit and go buy the Trek.

I have a hard time making decisions (do you think??), so I'm hoping to get lots of replies here, even if they do make my head spin! Thanks--
Old 06-07-11, 04:15 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do not overestimate the negative effect of a suspension fork on hills.
When pedalled properly with the right technique, a suspension fork doesn't bounce on normal hills taken at normal speed ... even when not locked out.
Old 06-07-11, 04:18 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
goagain, after your hundreds of questions and the helpfull replies of forum members I believe it's fair that whenever you finally get your bike you are obliged to take and post a bunch of pictures both driving and glamour pics and that you post a review about the bike.
Old 06-07-11, 05:57 AM
mjwithtwins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find the whole paying for shipping and restocking even if you don't buy it ridiculous! I know shops don't make a whole lot on bike sales but they do on repairs and accessories. They won't get that business without selling you a bike so those costs should be part of their overhead, not the responsibility of potential cosutmers who haven't even bought anything yet.

I also think it is wrong that they didn't lower the seat on the small they had instock and have you try it or at least sit on it and then give you a good explanation of why you needed something smaller while you were sitting on the bike and could both feel and see what he was talking about. That is what my LBS would have done.

I don't consider telling you that you have to pay for them to have adequate inventory even before you buy something good costumer service. It sounds a bit used car salesmenish to me.
Old 06-07-11, 07:54 AM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I so totally agree with everything said in all your replies!

Maybe I'm being stubborn, but it does irk me that BS#2 wants me to pay for them to get a bike from their distributor, and then pay again if it doesn't work for me. They're not going to ship it back; they'll eventually sell it to someone else. If the wholesale cost of a $330 bike means they go in the red, they have problems beyond the scope of any remedy I can supply. I just really think I'm not going to do that on principle, even if I'm the one who suffers because of it.

Yesterday, I really was close to buying the Trek, but I felt that would have been impulsive (yeah, I know--nothing at THIS POINT could really be called "impulsive" LOL), and I don't have good luck with impulsive. After sleeping on it, I am *almost* ready to skip any more effort toward the Cypress and just go straight back to the Trek store. Would I regret this later?

I have definitely decided that I don't want the Cypress model, XS, that is aluminum with a suspension fork and is brown and white, although I had decided to try it with an open mind if they would let me, since presumably it will fit and it's in stock. It's like the blue Trek, but $60 cheaper. I guess between those two, I'm perfectly willing to pay an extra $60 to get a prettier color. *sigh* And I guess the looks of the too-big (S) cromo Cypress that is light blue (pic looks like non-metallic) will affect my decision, if I do go back to BS#2 to look at those. But in that case, we're talking $100+ difference, even after the 5% future rebate. That may be getting into silly territory. I do want to guestimate the cromo's weight, too, as a heavier weight would cancel out the suspension fork disadvantage on hills (if I understand correctly) of the Trek. (But not the $$ disadvantage.)

Hubby hasn't been much involved in this search, but he thinks I should go for it IF I'm sure I like the Trek (aka suspension fork) now. The warm welcome feeling I got in the Trek store is still here after sleeping on it, making me want to go back. And, one of the very first replies I got on the other forum advised to go with the brand of bike that had the shop that gave me the best service, rather than worry about which brand is "best." I may compromise and just phone the Cypress dealer. If it's true they don't have the cromo Cypress in an XS, I may just skip driving back there. Am I being too impulsive or maybe just unwisely succumbing to frustration?? HELP ME HERE!!

I will definitely let you know what I decide, probably in far too great detail. You've earned it!!! Please post any thoughts, it will be several hours before I can drive to either BS. Thanks!!!!
Old 06-07-11, 07:57 AM
Whiteknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 months ago I bought my wife a new Trek 7000 hybrid. Last year's model marked down to $275 at the local bike shop. Step through frame as in the add. No suspension front fork. Otherwise like the one in the add. She also rides a 2004 Trek Navigator 100 with a suspension front fork. The new7000 is now her ride of choice. I ride a Trek 7000 purchased in 2005 which now has close to 10,000 miles on it. Other than normal chain and freewheel replacement there have been no problems with it.
Old 06-07-11, 08:06 AM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Whiteknight! So, are you saying maybe I don't want to go with the 7100 because of its supension fork? They also have a 7000, but the color (silver) can't compete with the blue on the 7100 in my eyes. If I do need a rigid fork, the Cypress ST is "prettier" but/and (depending on which camp you're in) is all cromo. Should I maybe hold out for that after all?

Or maybe you're just saying that the Treks are all very good bikes and the fork doesn't really matter? Please clarify if you see this post.

BTW, I think the BS's around here (in various directions from where I live) know they about have a monopoly. I haven't been able to get any of them to budge on price. BS#1 even charges more than the suggested retail price! BS#2 had a 2010 Sedona and it was still the regular price; I asked. Sounds like you got a great bargain!!

Last edited by goagain; 06-07-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 08:57 AM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goagain
Thanks, Whiteknight! So, are you saying maybe I don't want to go with the 7100 because of its supension fork? They also have a 7000, but the color (silver) can't compete with the blue on the 7100 in my eyes. If I do need a rigid fork, the Cypress ST is "prettier" but/and (depending on which camp you're in) is all cromo. Should I maybe hold out for that after all?

Or maybe you're just saying that the Treks are all very good bikes and the fork doesn't really matter? Please clarify if you see this post.

BTW, I think the BS's around here (in various directions from where I live) know they about have a monopoly. I haven't been able to get any of them to budge on price. BS#1 even charges more than the suggested retail price! BS#2 had a 2010 Sedona and it was still the regular price; I asked. Sounds like you got a great bargain!!
If you like the Trek then get it. Don't obsess over the suspension fork. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the suspension fork on this bike nor is there anything wrong with suspension forks on hybrids period. It will not slow you down and will give you a much more comfortable ride than the cheap steel forks that come on bikes at this level. I have a Trek 7200 with the same forks and I think it is a great bike. I do not notice any real drawbacks to the fork and I am used to riding a full carbon 7.9FX without suspension. In fact the fork on the 7100/7200 makes riding on limestone trails and uneven pavement that much more comfortable. If you plan on hammering and cruising around on smooth pavement at 18-22 mph (highly improbable) then eschew the suspension fork. Otherwise it will probably be an advantage to have it. It's that simple ... it really is.

Last edited by Talldog; 06-07-11 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 09:21 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1 Talldog! ......

@knob--
You and mj are basically giving me the same advice. At some point, I need to DO something, even if it's wrong. My OCD self has to give the Cypress one more shot, though. I've put too much effort in it to give up without a revisit.

This is the crux of the issue. There really is no wrong decision with the bikes you're looking at. I'd start worrying more about the time that you do not have a bike due to not making a decision.
Old 06-07-11, 09:29 AM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, talldog and knob, for even looking at my thesis! I am changing my attitude about the suspension forks. Almost everything actually in stock around here in the comfort/hybrid entry range has them, so they must not be all that bad or the stores would be stocking something else. I just know these hills are going to be problems for me, so that's why I've been obsessing. My almost level driveway and sloping back yard may get a lot of bike traffic until I built some strength. I probably should start a thread on "Which bike is easier to walk up hills?"

I'm going to fill the gas tank and go bike shopping again in a bit. Wish me luck-- Thanks!!

I love the "There really is no wrong decsion with the bikes you're looking at." I will repeat that in my mind on my drive over.

Last edited by goagain; 06-07-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 09:37 AM
mjwithtwins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knobd
+1 Talldog! ......

This is the crux of the issue. There really is no wrong decision with the bikes you're looking at. I'd start worrying more about the time that you do not have a bike due to not making a decision.

EXACTLY! You have missed out on weeks of riding. Talldog nailed it, at your riding ability and what you have described as the area you are going to ride you will not get any benefit from a cheap chromoly frame and fork over an aluminum frame with suspension. The cypress isn't some super light Reynolds steel it is a heavy cheap chromoly. There isn't anything wrong with that, one of my favorite bikes in the past was a giant chromoly mountain bike that I still regret selling. But it isn't as big of an advantage as you are being lead to believe, not in the style of bike you are buying or for the type of riding you are planning.
Old 06-07-11, 09:43 AM
Talldog

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, talldog and knob, for even looking at my thesis! I am changing my attitude about the suspension forks. Almost everything actually in stock around here in the comfort/hybrid entry range has them, so they must not be all that bad or the stores would be stocking something else. I just know these hills are going to be problems for me, so that's why I've been obsessing. My almost level driveway and sloping back yard may get a lot of bike traffic until I built some strength. I probably should start a thread on "Which bike is easier to walk up hills?"

I'm going to fill the gas tank and go bike shopping again in a bit. Wish me luck-- Thanks!!

I love the "There really is no wrong decsion with the bikes you're looking at." I will repeat that in my mind on my drive over.
What kind of "hills" are you talking about ? If you plan on hammering up 30 degree inclines then the suspension fork withoout lockout will rob power. If you are talking about gentle to moderate road inclines then there is no problem. But if you have severe hilly terrain then a comfort hybrid is the wrong bike to begin with as the riding position, particulary on the WSD step thru versions, will hurt you on steep hills far more than any suspension fork.. But I'm assuming that really severe hills are not the case.

Last edited by Talldog; 06-07-11 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 11:03 AM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Whiteknight! So, are you saying maybe I don't want to go with the 7100 because of its supension fork? They also have a 7000, but the color (silver) can't compete with the blue on the 7100 in my eyes.
I totally understand about the colors speaking to you. I chose the bike I did a couple of weeks ago, in part, because of its looks. But I will say, that with a silver bike, you can dress it up any way you want. Have you seen some of the gorgeous handlebar bags and baskets out there for sale? While a brown bike might be unsalvageable, a silver one could still be really gorgeous in your eyes with just a few well-chosen accessories.

some links that might give you inspiration:
https://www.basil.nl/gb/assortment/

Last edited by NormDeplume; 06-07-11 at 11:11 AM. Reason: adding links
Old 06-07-11, 11:12 AM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re MAKE A DECISION!!

??? re the hills
I'm not sure how to describe them. They are not long, but they look kind of steep when I'm imagining biking up them. They're nothing in the car of course, and I can easily walk them even in 90 degree weather, at my natural walking pace, and get only slightly winded. But after yesterday's test ride on the little hill, no way am I going to be able to climb them at first. Maybe later though? I'm posting a picture.

At my age and confidence level, I've got to have a step-through frame, and I want an upright bike. Every bike seems gigantic to me right now, and if I have to sling my leg over the seat to get on, I'd be terrified of falling and wouldn't ride at all. I'll just have to deal with the hills as best I can, not well I'm sure, or just ride back and forth around the more gentle corner at my house. If the hills actually are steep and not just imaginary steep, at least I won't look quite so ridiculous walking my bike up them all the time. haha

What do you think?

This was taken from near the peak of the next hill, looking back toward the way I would have come. I live on the other, slightly more gentle side, of the far hill. Note the stop sign at the bottom; no momentum to help. On the next block over, the hill is much steeper so this is the lesser of the two evils. I took several pix from different spots along the road, but this one seems to most accurately depict how the hill really is. It's every bit as steep as it appears in the photo, maybe a bit more.

More later---need to get on the road soon! Thanks much!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hill.jpg (99.6 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by goagain; 06-07-11 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 11:14 AM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Norm, just saw your post. The silver bike really is not too bad, and I hadn't considered "jewelry" for it. I will definitely keep that in mind if I get a dozen posts saying, "Touch the suspension fork and die." It does not lock out, btw. But the blue is just gorgeous!
Who knew they made baskets for the dog-child?

Last edited by goagain; 06-07-11 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 11:19 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's not a hill ... that's a bump in the road
Old 06-07-11, 11:24 AM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, Norm, just saw your post. The silver bike really is not too bad, and I hadn't considered "jewelry" for it. I will definitely keep that in mind if I get a dozen posts saying, "Touch the suspension fork and die." It does not lock out, btw. But the blue is just gorgeous!
Who knew they made baskets for the dog-child?
My daughter has a Raleigh Eva xs (12") with a suspension fork and is happy with it. It's not exactly a step-through, but it's much lower than many I've seen. We live in a hilly town more or less like yours, and she's not hamstrung by the fork at all. So while I'm happy without a suspension fork on mine, we ride the same hills together and do just fine, as long as we go slow.

Just buy a bike that feels good, then bring it home and ride it. And bedazzle it as you go, so you feel happy whenever you see it (and yourself on it)
Old 06-07-11, 11:25 AM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love you, AdelaaR!! It's a BIG bump to me, just not a long one. Maybe there's hope after all!!!!
And thanks, too, Norm! While I'm answering one post I get another. Loving it! Thanks--
Old 06-07-11, 11:30 AM
mjwithtwins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will be surprised how quickly you conquer the hills that seem so steep right now. What you might have to walk up your first ride you will barely notice by your third or fourth ride because you will have figured out the gearing and you will be able to anticipate when to shift.
Old 06-07-11, 04:22 PM
Whiteknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and ride both asphalt paved rail trails and stone dust paved rail trails. The suspension fork really does not come into play on these trails. My wife finds the rigid front fork every bit as comfortable as the suspension fork on the Trek Navigator. When we ride the SRT down into Philly on the old Towpath Trail with rocks and coarse gravel in places she has no problem with the rigid fork on the new Mulitrack 7000. After two rides she commented that the rigid fork 7000 was easier to handle in some of the narrow tight turns in the SRT and the local Thun Trail than with the Navigator (a so-called Comfort bike). Our short rides are 40 to 45 miles while the longer rides are 55 to 65 miles. Seats and handlebar grips proved to be more important to her than a sprung front fork. She is now about 2 weeks short of her 70th birthday.

Her new Trek 7000 is silver and black. Sort of sharp looking. The new Trek 7000 replaced a Raleigh Detour 3.0 hybrid I bought for her about 3 years ago. That had the sprung seat and sprung front fork. She did not like the way in handled compared to her Trek Navigator yet she wanted something a bit lighter than the Navigator.

When I spotted the marked down price Trek 7000 I hauled her out to the LBS for a look at it. The frame size was exactly what she needs. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. When you start moving up in a particular line of bikes you sometimes pay for some window dressing. She wants grip shifters, not trigger shifters. Stepping up to a more expensive derailer does not necessarily mean the bike will shift any better than the cheaper one on the next step down.
Old 06-07-11, 04:37 PM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SURPRISE!!!
You didn't think I'd ever really do it, did you?

Isn't it lovely?

I'm so happy to have this DONE! I phoned BS#2 where the Cypresses live, and I must say the person I got today was very nice. However, the only XS they had was the brown bike. The light blue cromo, size S, was still unopened in the carton. He said they would be making another order in 2-3 weeks, or I could special order an XS separately and pay through the nose. I was weary and took this as a sign that the Cypress ST was not meant to be for me.

We did discuss the rigid/susp and alum/cromo factors. He said they sell many more of the susp models because they are a little more comfortable. He said the two models weigh almost the same because the cromo frame is a little heavier but the suspension fork on the other one adds about the same extra weight. Just as we've been saying.

So, I phoned BS#3, got the guy I saw yesterday, and inquired as to what service would be included if I bought the Trek 7100. They adjust brakes and gears free for life as often as needed, will do one basic tuneup for free, no time limit (my heirs might be ready for this LOL), and after that, the $75 tuneup can be done for $45 from now on. They would not budge on the price of the bike or accessories, but I will get a 5% rebate (gift card) yearly on everything I've purchased during the year. I have a good start as I bought the bike, a pump, helmet, bike computer (odometer thingy), kickstand, polish to protect the bea-u-ti-ful blue paint, and a tiny bottle of chain lube. They installed the kickstand and computer at n/c. Yes, I asked to buy all this stuff. The only thing he asked me about was if I had a pump. He said the tires have to be topped off frequently. I had inquired about a helmet yesterday so he had no need to suggest that. I already have a little underseat bag and gloves that I got for my birthday. He put a reflector on, then took it off when I said that my little bag wouldn't have a place, and put the bike into my trunk. If interested, this bike will completely fit into a Camry with the back seats folded down. I may use my gift card next year to get some kind of bike carrier if it turns out I've taken my bike anywhere.

The kicker for me was the "flip a coin" thing for making difficult decisions--when it's up in the air, how are you hoping it will land? While I was on the phone with BS#2 and they were checking what they had in XS, I was kind of hoping they would not have the light blue cromo bike! (probably just to avoid having to make another decision, but still) Who would have predicted THAT? Having said that, I absolutely must say this, for the last time: I still believe that *optimally*, the cromo fork would have been best for my mountains, er, hills. But I fell in love with the metallic blue Trek, and I'm delighted with my purchase even though my bank account isn't so much. I just couldn't drag this out another two or maybe three weeks. Aren't you relieved?

I've only ridden it in the driveway and briefly in the back yard so far. I will update when I've had it a few days. BS guy said he was putting the seat a little lower than it really should be because he knows I'm a little apprehensive. Someday I will raise it higher in the sky. It still seems huge to me. I've got to practice a lot first.

Thanks again, everyone, for your advice and knowledge! It all made me much more comfortable in making a decision. More later--

Wish me luck on the hills.
Attached Images
road 11.jpg (99.6 KB, 34 views)
new bike cropped.jpg (97.4 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by goagain; 06-07-11 at 05:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.