Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

suspension seatpost

Old 09-28-10, 12:45 AM
captnfantastic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
suspension seatpost

Anyone use one? I am getting rocked on uneven grass and my lower back is not happy. Not worried about the weight as they are about 500g and my current post is 300g. would it mess with power transfer? thoughts? concerns?

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_175494_-1___

https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/200...p=275%20SETRD9
Old 09-28-10, 07:11 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...179-Thudbuster
Old 09-28-10, 07:57 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
I don't know about high quality suspension posts, but I had a cheapo on my old GT Timberline and I could feel it sapping my power (what little I had then) with every pedal stroke. It was like riding on a pogo stick. Anything with enough resistance to not do this probably won't help you much on rough grass. Your best bet there is lower tire pressure. A good suspension post might help with the bigger thuds.
Old 09-28-10, 09:51 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd make sure that you're not running too high of a tire pressure first. Many make that mistake.
Old 09-30-10, 05:36 PM
Pippin

Bikes: Cannondale Six13, Noble F4, Ridley Supercross, GT Xizang, GT Edge CX. Fat Tire cruiser bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chances are the impacts from CX racing are not causing your back pain. Work on increasing your back, hamstring and general flexibility. Core strength is also very important. The countless accelerations in cross racing can quickly fatigue your back and cause the pain. Also, many racers run their saddle height slightly lower than their road fit. Give that a try.
Old 09-30-10, 10:19 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have been using a Koobi saddle on my Tricross since January. The elastomers really smooth out the trail chatter.
Old 10-01-10, 12:07 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
USE, made in UK is not cheap, but they offer a series of rider weight adjustment
spring and elastomer kits
to get the spring rate and the weight on them synchronized.
Old 10-02-10, 07:44 AM
meanwhile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I have been using a Koobi saddle on my Tricross since January. The elastomers really smooth out the trail chatter.
That sounds, together with playing with tyre pressure (and maybe using a higher quality tyre with more threads per inch) like a good idea:

https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/...views/koobiPRS

Do the bouncy bits at the rear make a difference? It depends on your bike. If you ride a hardtail or rigid bike, then yes. If you ride a dually, the difference isn't noticeable. Initially, you spend a lot of time looking at the rear end of your bike trying to work out what's feeling so weird, then you get used to it and enjoy the fact that most of the little bumps disappear and the bigger ones have the edge taken off them. 10mm of travel can't do a whole lot to smooth out the trail, but it can do enough in combination with a very well shaped saddle to make a hardtail much more comfortable on those longer rides.
And some suspension can in theory make you faster - whenever your bodyweight gets lifted up, even by a millimetre, the energy to do so is stolen from the kinetic energy of the bike. If the Koobi smooths out vibration and doesn't steal pedalling energy, then it should be a win-win.