Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is meant by "fast" bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 06:18 AM
The Hansenator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. It's dumb question time.

This might seem obvious to some people but I see bikes described as fast or slow sometimes and I'm not sure what that refers to. I assume you can put the same tire on two bikes and the rolling resistance would be pretty similar. Is "fast" related more to the handling or a more racing oriented position? I'm sure lighter weight would help but I've seen relatively heavy bikes described as feeling fast so there must be more to it.
Old 04-22-14, 06:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This is my fast bike:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010987.jpg (104.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg
Pedals.jpg (104.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-22-14, 06:24 AM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
1987 Schwinn Le Tour

Last edited by turky lurkey; 04-22-14 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 06:26 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Oy vey!
Old 04-22-14, 06:27 AM
turky lurkey

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR600, 1965 Schwinn Super Sport, 1973 Schwinn World Voyaguer, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1985 Specialized Rockhopper, 1988 Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This one looks pretty fast:

I can't afford the one above so I use this one when I want to go fast, they are probably about the same since they have the same color:

Last edited by turky lurkey; 04-22-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 06:29 AM
bdcheung
Carpe Diem

Bikes: 2007 CAAD9; 2014 CAADX; PedalForce CG1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me, a fast bike:

1) Puts me an a position to optimize aerodynamics and power output;
2) Transfers power efficiently (i.e. not a lot of energy 'wasted' by flexing the frame);
3) Looks fast (possibly the most important)
Old 04-22-14, 06:30 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
It's marketing talk trying to lure the racing type of consumer. It may or may not be true, depends on the geometry of the bike and many other factors. Buyer beware of the marketing BS.
Old 04-22-14, 07:04 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
That saying is about a subjective thing. Its about a guy who owns several bikes and he talks about the one that's fast. Just like you described with the handling and stuff. That guy is not talking so much about which high end bike is fast or fastest. Its more about his own stable.
Old 04-22-14, 07:05 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A fast bike is a bicycle with a fast rider riding it.
Old 04-22-14, 08:02 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A fast bike is a bike that's fully operational, has no mechanical defects, and has a very strong rider cycling on top of it.

A really strong rider on a GMC Denali can beat any weak rider on a Trek Madone!
Old 04-22-14, 08:34 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
A fast bike is a bicycle with a fast rider riding it.
There you go. Put me on any bike and it won't be fast.

"Man, your bike is fast!" comment I would thing is much like in the photography hobby, "Your camera takes nice pictures!"
Old 04-22-14, 08:36 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by The Hansenator

This might seem obvious to some people but I see bikes described as fast or slow sometimes and I'm not sure what that refers to. I assume you can put the same tire on two bikes and the rolling resistance would be pretty similar. Is "fast" related more to the handling or a more racing oriented position? I'm sure lighter weight would help but I've seen relatively heavy bikes described as feeling fast so there must be more to it.
I think a fast bike means it's meant for speed. Short headtube, long toptube. Geometry designed to encourage your shoulders, and head down low. A drivetrain that is all about movement, no wasted swaying, all force into the rear wheel. A bike that is nimble with great control so rider can be confidant while riding at high speeds. It's a lot of things.

Best example to me of a what a fast bike is? Specialized Venge.
Old 04-22-14, 08:49 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fast?

I think fast is perception on how a bike feels. I had plenty sports of cars...some "felt" fast...some, not as much. All would scoot when you asked them to. I currently have a full size Ram 1500. With nearly 400 hp, it will definitely get out of its own way. The thing is I often find myself speeding because it doesn't feel like I'm going that fast. I have to be careful.

I have a few bikes...some "feel" faster than others. My Tarmac definitely feels the fastest...probably due to geometry/weight. Is it any faster than the rest? No...no bike is fast...only I can make it go fast. But...my Tarmac is 100% a more interactive, faster feeling bike than the others I have.
Old 04-22-14, 08:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
On the other hand, there's a lot more to riding a bike than just going fast. People who only do intervals have an impoverished experience of cycling.
Old 04-22-14, 08:55 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
On the other hand, there's a lot more to riding a bike than just going fast. People who only do intervals have an impoverished experience of cycling.
That may be true, he was just asking what people though a fast bike is. Not a fast cyclists or fast training day. Or having some idealistic biking experience site seeing or whatever it is you do.

For some people, pushing their body hard and riding fast is where the fun is.
Old 04-22-14, 08:55 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by The Hansenator

Usually it just means that they're happy with the new bike.

Some bikes are inherently faster than others because they allow a lower position, but I sense that you realize that and are asking about comparisons within a given category. I sometimes feel like buying a really nice "fast" road bike but I realize that the most of the differences boil down to ride quality, not really speed per se. Also one doesn't really accelerate faster than another given similar tires, at most maybe 5% faster acceleration high end vs low end, due to weight and wheel weight. It's a perception thing, or that 5% seems like a lot and makes the bike feel "faster".
Old 04-22-14, 09:02 AM
zymphad

Fast bike definitely is real. It just depends on whether you are good enough to cycle at a speed where you can see that.
Old 04-22-14, 09:03 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Yeah, it's kind of a dumb question and the right answer is the one about the bike with a fast rider, but there is some meaning to it.

As winter turns to spring and I switch from a heavy steel bike with fat studded tires to one of my road bikes (any one of them, really), I get this thrill of remembering how easy it is to go "fast". Fast as in 17 MPH. With the winter truck, I've got to wail to maintain 17 MPH. With a fast responsive bike, it's not a problem.
Old 04-22-14, 09:10 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
With identical riders, one bike will be faster than another if it is: lighter, more aero, or puts the rider in a more aero position.
Old 04-22-14, 09:17 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yeah, it's kind of a dumb question and the right answer is the one about the bike with a fast rider, but there is some meaning to it.

As winter turns to spring and I switch from a heavy steel bike with fat studded tires to one of my road bikes (any one of them, really), I get this thrill of remembering how easy it is to go "fast". Fast as in 17 MPH. With the winter truck, I've got to wail to maintain 17 MPH. With a fast responsive bike, it's not a problem.
Same here.

I had my first ride in summer kit a few weeks back on my road bike (the temps were high 70's). Put on my lighter wheels too (500g lighter). Without all of that heavy clothing on and on my road bike vs my winter bike...wow, what a difference in feel. Its amazing how much I miss it during the winter.
Old 04-22-14, 09:25 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
That saying is about a subjective thing. Its about a guy who owns several bikes and he talks about the one that's fast. Just like you described with the handling and stuff. That guy is not talking so much about which high end bike is fast or fastest. Its more about his own stable.
^^^^this.

I have a fast bike and a camping/touring bike. When I say I'm taking the fast bike out today what I mean is that I am taking my bike that I have set up to go fast out today.
Old 04-22-14, 09:27 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
fast bike

Old 04-22-14, 09:30 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
it means the marketing department has very little imagination.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-22-14, 09:42 AM
Ricanfred

Bikes: Yes, I ride an aluminum Trek!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is slow, it's not me; I swear! Seriously though, some good responses above.
Old 04-22-14, 09:52 AM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
even better when those intervals take you uphill with no decent, then it's all slow and still impoverished.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.