Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are Races Available for folks over 50?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 01:56 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

I wanted to find out if there are any bike races for the over 50 population. I would be very interested in participating in an amateur bike race that ran 50 miles or so. Not sure what the exact definition of a grand fondo is other than a "big race" but I think it would be a lot of fun to try one for my age category. Is there such a thing out there?
Old 05-21-18, 06:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
There are master' classes for 35+, 45+ and 55+ and maybe more .... i have seen a lot of guys over 65 who raced in the 55+ class and were really fast too.

Basically, on most race weekends, numerous classes race, from nine-year-olds to the elderly, usually over the same course .... for road races the stronger classes do more laps.

Check for these guys or groups like them ...I am sure if you google "bike races in {location] you will find a few promoters with scheduled events near enough to you.
Old 05-21-18, 07:31 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I've done a bit of racing, but never a grand fondo. It looks like they could be a fun event. I think they try to make make it a first class experience, with good food, entertainment, etc.
A good resource to start might be your LBS - they should know some about upcoming events, or at least were to steer your for more info. In my case, they got me in contact with a local amateur racer who represented the shop - he helped me a lot.
USA Cycling is also an excellent resource to find upcoming events.

Lots of wicked fast guys 50+! (me these days: not so much!)
Old 05-21-18, 08:34 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Delaware has an annual senior Olympics which includes one or more races with various divisions. Not sure if they still do this but the races ended with a few laps on the Dover Downs Race Track with its banked track. I would think that other states have similar senior Olympics.
Old 05-22-18, 03:40 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Check out American Bicycle Racing

In the Chicago area, there were plenty of men racing in the 50+ categories. And they were fast!
Old 05-22-18, 12:19 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TKJava
I wanted to find out if there are any bike races for the over 50 population. I would be very interested in participating in an amateur bike race that ran 50 miles or so. Not sure what the exact definition of a grand fondo is other than a "big race" but I think it would be a lot of fun to try one for my age category. Is there such a thing out there?
Are you talking real racing or just a timed event?

Grand Fondo's are usually timed events, not an actual race per say. They also may have a KOM for some climbs and award prizes for the fastest up the climb but they are not really races. They are usually pretty tough too. George Hincappie has one in the Greenville, SC area that is close by and it is a pretty hard ride of over 7,000 ft of climbing. There are a lot of pro riders now training in the Greenville-Asheville, NC area due to the fantastic roads and climbs.

As for racing, that's tough on the road since those would probably have to be sanctioned if it were a true race and that might involve getting certified. Then of course are the tracks. There are Velodromes and Criterium courses that do involve actual races. Fortunately, I happen to live really close to both a Velodrome and a closed Criterium course along with a world class BMX course. All of them are provided free by the city with a few stipulations. Velodrome is certified riders only. You have to pass a training course before they let you out on the oval. 5 bucks and you can rent a bike too. Fixed gear only and no brakes. Our Velodrome holds weekly events and if you are certified, you can enter. They have also hosted the Nationals a couple of times along with NCAA cycling championships. The criterium course is 1.1 miles and closed to traffic so you have the course to yourself. They do have racing there but if you are interested in racing where money is involved, you have to be certified as Cat 1, 2, 3 etc. There is a Masters division but don't be fooled, you have to average 20+mph just to keep pace and the speed goes way up from there. Cat 1's usually average 30+.

Now, if all you are looking for is a timed event, check out your local ride events in your area. Chances are that some of the larger events will be timed and they usually have groupings for ages.

john
Old 05-22-18, 12:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Also look at time trials. Short and fast... 24 miles?

Randonneuring may be something you're wanting. Short to very long multi-day events. I think there are both competitive aspects of it as well as just finishing.
Old 05-22-18, 01:16 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Northeast?
Here you go:

Home - Northeast Masters Cycling Association

-Bandera
Old 05-22-18, 02:53 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Are you talking real racing or just a timed event?

Grand Fondo's are usually timed events, not an actual race per say. They also may have a KOM for some climbs and award prizes for the fastest up the climb but they are not really races. They are usually pretty tough too. George Hincappie has one in the Greenville, SC area that is close by and it is a pretty hard ride of over 7,000 ft of climbing. There are a lot of pro riders now training in the Greenville-Asheville, NC area due to the fantastic roads and climbs.

As for racing, that's tough on the road since those would probably have to be sanctioned if it were a true race and that might involve getting certified. Then of course are the tracks. There are Velodromes and Criterium courses that do involve actual races. Fortunately, I happen to live really close to both a Velodrome and a closed Criterium course along with a world class BMX course. All of them are provided free by the city with a few stipulations. Velodrome is certified riders only. You have to pass a training course before they let you out on the oval. 5 bucks and you can rent a bike too. Fixed gear only and no brakes. Our Velodrome holds weekly events and if you are certified, you can enter. They have also hosted the Nationals a couple of times along with NCAA cycling championships. The criterium course is 1.1 miles and closed to traffic so you have the course to yourself. They do have racing there but if you are interested in racing where money is involved, you have to be certified as Cat 1, 2, 3 etc. There is a Masters division but don't be fooled, you have to average 20+mph just to keep pace and the speed goes way up from there. Cat 1's usually average 30+.

Now, if all you are looking for is a timed event, check out your local ride events in your area. Chances are that some of the larger events will be timed and they usually have groupings for ages.

john
Read this: https://www.bikeforums.net/33-road-b...s-tip-two.html

For USAC sanctioned road races, including criteriums, you need a USAC racing license. Don't worry, the qualifications are a bike, a helmet, and a pulse. Every one starts out as a Cat 5, regardless of age. After 10 mass-start race finishes, you can upgrade to Cat 4. Further upgrades are based on accumulating points through placings and/or experience. Look on the USAC website or www.bikereg.com for races in your area. When you sign up, you should also be able to purchase a one-day racing license (no sense in buying an annual license if you don't like it).

Also, if you're not already doing so, start going on the local group rides. More likely than not, there will be a Saturday morning one and a Tuesday evening one.
Old 05-22-18, 04:48 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Next August/September ask around at bike shops or look online for cyclocross races in your area. The older age categories are usually Masters 45+, 55+, sometimes 65+.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-22-18, 04:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Here's an example of a local race, something like this is what you'd be looking for: https://www.bikereg.com/8th-regalado-road-raceRoad

As a 50+ Cat 5, you'd be eligible to do either the straight Cat 5 field or the 35+4/5 field. I would recommend the 35+ field. It won't be easier, in fact, I'd bet it's for certain going to be harder, but you'd be lining up with adults.

Last edited by caloso; 05-22-18 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-22-18, 06:08 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Here's an example of a local race, something like this is what you'd be looking for: https://www.bikereg.com/8th-regalado-road-raceRoad

As a 50+ Cat 5, you'd be eligible to do either the straight Cat 5 field or the 35+4/5 field. I would recommend the 35+ field. It won't be easier, in fact, I'd bet it's for certain going to be harder, but you'd be lining up with adults.
Yes thanks, this is great there's a few here that are not that far away from me.
Old 05-22-18, 09:32 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Old 05-25-18, 05:15 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
You might also search to see if there are any time trials within a reasonable distance from where you live. It’s a great way to start racing, but a little less risky as generally you’re not riding in a group nor drafting.