Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

MUP Gripes 2019

Old 05-06-19, 07:45 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
"Hell is other people". There's just no getting around that basic fact, especially when riding a bike for pleasure. You gots to pick your times and routes carefully.
OT: Lol. Personally, I didn’t like Sartre in philosophy class. I preferred when we read “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.” There should be an adaptation for bicyclists IMO.

It’d be hard to put it in practice on a MUP trail though.
Old 05-06-19, 08:03 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Oh, I agree 100% about Sartre, but he did get hit that one idea right on the money, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-06-19, 11:53 AM
taz9803

Bikes: Trek FX S5, Specialized 2019 Tarmac Disc Road Bike Comp LTD Sagan Collection

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
AAAAH yes its that time of year , when all the fake fitness dweebs come out of their electronic device induced hibernation to pretend to get in shape , and see the outdoors ???
they take to the local "BIKE PATH " to clog it up with all sorts of non BIKE activities and PERSONAL TIME ,
such as , 30 foot dog leash walking , because your dog has to be 30 feet away cross both lanes for it to be consider a humane experience ,
and dont forget entire family on the path 5 wide taking both lanes ,
kiddy slalom sessions , because dodging ninja laser beams is radical !!!
and we cant leave out , the rides the pitch black path with no lights or reflectors ,
the classic ,
head to toe high vis with three tail lights gives you a dirty look for wearing black , but cant handle and up right Schwinn with training wheels lol ,

anyway post all your MUP GRIPES BELOW!!!!
Try riding at 4am. you'll find all the free road you want till 7am, but don't be an ass. I can't help you with that
Old 05-06-19, 12:32 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by taz9803
Try riding at 4am. you'll find all the free road you want till 7am, but don't be an ass. I can't help you with that
I would normally agree, but I passed a guy who was sleeping in the middle of a local MUP the other morning at about 5:30 AM. I'm sure he'd been there since long before 4AM.

But this got me to thinking...

At first I found it odd that he was sleeping in the *middle* of the MUP, since I'd seen him before in the same area but on the edge of the concrete path. After thinking about it, though, it seems to me like if you're going to sleep in the MUP, placing yourself in the middle might just be the best place. On one side or the other, it seems like you're be more likely to get run over.

Normally I wouldn't hijack a thread like this, but in the case of this thread, I think changing the discussion to "which side of the MUP is the safest to sleep on" would be more productive.

-Matt
Old 05-06-19, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I would normally agree, but I passed a guy who was sleeping in the middle of a local MUP the other morning at about 5:30 AM. I'm sure he'd been there since long before 4AM.
Maybe he was dead. I was riding to work one morning. Guy was sitting in the grass with his back propped up on a large, public sculpture. Had it not been for the cops and the sheet covering his body (his left hand was still visible), I'll be he looked to be sleeping.
Old 05-06-19, 12:39 PM
taz9803

Bikes: Trek FX S5, Specialized 2019 Tarmac Disc Road Bike Comp LTD Sagan Collection

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat

But this got me to thinking...

At first I found it odd that he was sleeping in the *middle* of the MUP, since I'd seen him before in the same area but on the edge of the concrete path. After thinking about it, though, it seems to me like if you're going to sleep in the MUP, placing yourself in the middle might just be the best place. On one side or the other, it seems like you're be more likely to get run over.

Normally I wouldn't hijack a thread like this, but in the case of this thread, I think changing the discussion to "which side of the MUP is the safest to sleep on" would be more productive.

-Matt
wow.lmao
Old 05-06-19, 12:52 PM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
That reminds me...mid morning last summer there was a bum looking guy sleeping in the middle of the MUP. Normally I hate to get involved in other people's crap, but I had to turn around. I woke him up and suggested he move over to the shade of the trees. The sun would have taken his hide off. He thanked me and staggered over to the trees.
Old 05-06-19, 01:03 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
In my region, there are so many bike lanes, adequate road shoulders and non-traditional routes that I rarely have to venture onto an MUP. But there are certain terrain and physical obstacles (interstates, rivers, portions of downtown DC) that force me to take a path for a portion of a ride to get from where I am to where I need to be.

Taking a path would be the absolute last resort, though. Let the other people have their fun.
Seconded!!! From a fellow NoVA resident, you sure hit that nail on the head.
Old 05-06-19, 01:12 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Geese.
Old 05-06-19, 01:24 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Maybe he was dead. I was riding to work one morning. Guy was sitting in the grass with his back propped up on a large, public sculpture. Had it not been for the cops and the sheet covering his body (his left hand was still visible), I'll be he looked to be sleeping.
I did wonder about that, but since I'd seen him once or twice before I wasn't too worried. As I passed him I saw him move a little to pull his coat up over his head better.

-Matt
Old 05-06-19, 03:43 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Sorry to the OP, but three people replied to my post, so here we go again.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Is this considered a (popcorn) thread if all the replies are in agreement?
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I think we made our point.

How about we invoke a mercy rule?
Recently I posted:...

To add to the pile-on, I agree most with...:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Um...that was so confusing, I don't know where to start. Ironic, since you apparently nest for clarity.
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
This.
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your post was less confusing than reading any rehash of previous posts nested for so-called "clarity."
As one who posts for enjoyment,
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972...I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise...
Posting has become an avocation for me…and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post...
...I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I [underline or] bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

Furthermore…While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.
Now, if you have read so far, one of the best replies was seemingly tongue-in-cheek, but IMO unintentionally articulates my intent:
...Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote:
Originally Posted by turbo1889
First of all you [not referring to me] have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people.

Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.
So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”

I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Jim from somewhere between New Jersey and Vermont gave us a post which is more than one foot long ---about short posts.

The rest of you just need to surrender and bow down.
Originally Posted by ksryder
Wow. That is masterful. I've always thought it was just self-indulgent and convoluted, but now I see that they are really performance art.

Bravo, sir. Bravo
(from a now-closed thread)I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue.

Personally for me, as a diversion, it’ s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads. I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.
Besides my own enjoyment, Bike Forums may be the better for all those (nested) quotes.
Originally Posted by gugie
Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use.
Originally Posted by Rollfast
You mean that more people possibly view your profile?...
Originally Posted by obrentharris
You miss the point. Some of us actually like to communicate with each other:

Quotes and mentions are a great tool for doing that, also for moving discussions forward within a large and diverse thread. Just look at the number of times quotes have been used to forward this discussion.
Originally Posted by himespau
I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people...

And mentioning [and quoting] someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits.

More page views => more revenue...
In this post I have quoted 12 other subscribers, and just this morning before 7:30 AM I had quoted 10 others on six different threads;
@mstateglfr twice.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you....
Anyways, regarding clarity (from now-closed threads),
I took a course in oral communication and was introduced to the sender-receivermodel of communication in which the sender transmits a message and the receiver interprets it and provides feedback to the sender to ensure the accuracy of the message; indeed, it is the receiver who completes the communication event.
As a Famous Writer wrote, If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.”

I only read the threads and posts that interest me. If I'm particularly interested in the content then I'm motivated to read no matter how long. It takes some time to write a properly composed long post, and I take my chances that my expenditure of time might connect with another interested reader.
I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy. Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes [like this present one] on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-06-19 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 05:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts

Sorry to the OP, but three people replied to my post, so here we go again.
Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from Boston Is this considered a (popcorn) thread if all the replies are in agreement?Quote:Originally Posted by oldnslow2 I think we made our point.

How about we invoke a mercy rule?Recently I posted:...

To add to the pile-on, I agree most with...:Quote:Originally Posted by mstateglfr Um...that was so confusing, I don't know where to start. Ironic, since you apparently nest for clarity.Quote:Originally Posted by downhillmaster This.Quote:Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike Your post was less confusing than reading any rehash of previous posts nested for so-called "clarity."As one who posts for enjoyment,
Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from Boston I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972...I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise...Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from Boston Posting has become an avocation for me…and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post...Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from Boston ...I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I [underline or] bold key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

Furthermore…While even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW.Now, if you have read so far, one of the best replies was seemingly tongue-in-cheek, but IMO unintentionally articulates my intent:
Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from Boston ...Last year I came upon a post that to me embodied the communication style that I like about BF. In response to a long quote, turbo1889 wrote:Quote:Originally Posted by turbo1889 First of all you [not referring to me] have no need to apologize for a lengthy post, least of all to me of all people.

Part of the reason I like forums as apposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather then the quick short snappy sound bite like format like twitter and such.So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”

I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from the post.Quote:Originally Posted by Maelochs Jim from somewhere between New Jersey and Vermont gave us a post which is more than one foot long ---about short posts.

The rest of you just need to surrender and bow down.Quote:Originally Posted by ksryder Wow. That is masterful. I've always thought it was just self-indulgent and convoluted, but now I see that they are really performance art.

Bravo, sir. BravoQuote:Originally Posted by Jim from Boston(from a now-closed thread)I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue.

Personally for me, as a diversion, it’ s challenging to arrange the quotes, and to find them in prior threads. I think it’s a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic.Besides my own enjoyment, Bike Forums may be the better for all those (nested) quotes.
Quote:Originally Posted by gugie Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use.Quote:Originally Posted by Rollfast You mean that more people possibly view your profile?...Quote:Originally Posted by obrentharris You miss the point. Some of us actually like to communicate with each other:

Quotes and mentions are a great tool for doing that, also for moving discussions forward within a large and diverse thread. Just look at the number of times quotes have been used to forward this discussion.Quote:Originally Posted by himespau I imagine that he means that those of us who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because our interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about our comments not that we want to look at the profiles of people...

And mentioning [and quoting] someone draws their attention to the threadin which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits.

More page views => more revenue...In this post I have quoted 12 other subscribers, and just this morning before 7:30 AM I had quoted 10 others on six different threads; @mstateglfr twice.
Quote:Originally Posted by wphamilton At last I'm enshrined in a Jim from Boston quote chain, feels like the big time! Thank you....Anyways, regarding clarity (from now-closed threads),
Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from BostonI took a course in oral communication and was introduced to the sender-receivermodel of communication in which the sender transmits a message and the receiver interprets it and provides feedback to the sender to ensure the accuracy of the message; indeed, it is the receiver who completes the communication event.Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from BostonAs a Famous Writer wrote, ”If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.”

I only read the threads and posts that interest me. If I'm particularly interested in the content then I'm motivated to read no matter how long. It takes some time to write a properly composed long post, and I take my chances that my expenditure of time might connect with another interested reader.Quote:Originally Posted by Jim from BostonI think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy. Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes [like this present one] on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-06-19, 05:42 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Don't forget a 30' dog leash AND head buried in a cell phone. I almost took out a cute cocker spaniel becuz the leash was across the trail and I didn't see the dog in the shadows until the last moment. If it was having trouble doing its "constitutional" before I got there, from the look on its face when I was bearing down on it, it was prob'ly leaving a brown trail all the way home.

Another is a couple stopped and having a conversation out in the path hidden from me due to a blind corner (and they had plenty of room to be off the trail).

Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
AAAAH yes its that time of year , when all the fake fitness dweebs come out of their electronic device induced hibernation to pretend to get in shape , and see the outdoors ???
they take to the local "BIKE PATH " to clog it up with all sorts of non BIKE activities and PERSONAL TIME ,
such as , 30 foot dog leash walking , because your dog has to be 30 feet away cross both lanes for it to be consider a humane experience ,
and dont forget entire family on the path 5 wide taking both lanes ,
kiddy slalom sessions , because dodging ninja laser beams is radical !!!
and we cant leave out , the rides the pitch black path with no lights or reflectors ,
the classic ,
head to toe high vis with three tail lights gives you a dirty look for wearing black , but cant handle and up right Schwinn with training wheels lol ,

anyway post all your MUP GRIPES BELOW!!!!
Old 05-06-19, 06:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,902 Posts
5 years ago, the bike paths had rougher surfaces than the local roads.
The bike paths are smoother than the roads now, yet nothing was done to the bike paths in those 5 years...

Minds well pour down shards of glass & metal debris everywhere. Make everything equally unsafe to commute on.
Old 05-06-19, 06:37 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My only gripe is when they repair the rail-trail with pea gravel. Our roads are deteriorating faster than the bike paths.
Old 05-06-19, 07:34 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 470 Posts
Speaking of rail trail, we have hundreds of miles of it. Usually the specific rail trails (not intracity mup) are lined on each side by 1.5" to 3" rock. There always seems to be some on the path.

Where do they come from!!??

Where does that random rock come from on the mup that has grass bordering it!!??
Old 05-06-19, 10:37 PM
keith_h

Bikes: Rossin Record, Rossin Columbia, Rossin Sprint, Cannondale Topstone, Orbea Opal. Grace, space and pace.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
Around here the MUPs are so crowded that no one uses them anymore.
Unsure if amazingly ironic, or incredibly tongue in cheek. However in my neck of the woods if you are on the bike path at the same time as the park runners, dog walkers and the awesome mums and dads out taking their kids for a spin, you take it easy and enjoy the ride. Maybe even stop and chat - what a concept.

If you venture farther afield where the runners can't go, the bike paths are heavily populated by cyclists all going about their business. I ensure I stay well out of the way of those who have the need for speed. Life is just better that way.
Old 05-07-19, 05:32 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by keith_h
Unsure if amazingly ironic, or incredibly tongue in cheek...
Google "Yogi Berra quotes"
Old 05-10-19, 06:53 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
"Some day a real rain will come, and wash away all the dog walkers, joggers, smiling well-adjusted nuclear families, fake fitness dweebs, blacked-out riders, and head to toe high vis with three tail lights scumbags."
Man! I gotta admit some of that stuff is somewhat irritating and some even dangerous but geez. Some "BP" are multipurpose and ya gotta deal with what's happening. I almost always avoid BP unless directed to or because of safety considerations even then... Sometimes there's no other way and then, if you have to share, it's cyclists that are at the lower end of the food chain. I slow down and even walk in a few situations. Some cyclists see me in the left turn lane on a multilane intersection and think I'm nuts but it's safer than negotiating some BP.
Old 05-10-19, 07:36 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Wednesday i was riding on a MUP in the preserve and came across a loose dog so I stopped. The owner yelled SORRY. I told him if he was obeying the 6' leash law he wouldn't have to be sorry. He then yelled I should slow down and I replied there's a 15mph speed limit and I was only doing 14mph. And that I was obeying the law while he wasn't.

BTW, there was no one on the path and the speed I was going was more than safe.

I generally ride at 16mph but was only doing 14mph since I was not on a open road.
Old 05-10-19, 08:01 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Wednesday i was riding on a MUP in the preserve and came across a loose dog so I stopped. The owner yelled SORRY. I told him if he was obeying the 6' leash law he wouldn't have to be sorry.
How toolish.
Old 05-10-19, 08:03 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by sputniky
How toolish.
Told him if I was going too fast and couldn't stop and the choice was him or the dog... it would of been him.
Old 05-10-19, 08:04 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Told him if I was going too fast and couldn't stop and the choice was him or the dog... it would of been him.
You misunderstand. I wasn't referring to the dog owner.
Old 05-10-19, 08:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by sputniky
You misunderstand. I wasn't referring to the dog owner.
I understood.

I just didn't get his logic that his breaking the rule was my fault.

Anyway, as I always say "when riding on a MUP it's always YOUR fault if you hit a kid or a dog". That's why when I'm on one i ride slower.