Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear tire constantly flat!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-01-19, 05:59 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I only use my bike in the summer(2 months)in order to get to my summer job. Have had my bike for 2 years now. Last year had my rear tire get pop twice, one was a pretty big gash, and forget what other look like. The past 2x I hit a curb trying to jump it(my tires weren't hard rock). Today I got a flat just riding it, didnt do anything fancy.

My question is first should my mtb tires be hard rock, usually I leave it so there is some indention when I press on the tire. However had my bike tuned this Tuesday, and the shop had pumped my tire rock hard. 2nd question, is there a problem with the rim's or tire or something and not the way I ride? I'll post a pic of what today's flat looks like
Old 08-01-19, 06:43 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Well, do you pump your tires up before riding? Its probably not necessary every day but if you're getting flats and jumping curbs and what not, you should probably go to the max inflation listed on the sidewall of the tire. It sounds like your curb jumping excursion was what we like to call a pinch flat.

Next time you get a flat, take the tube out and figure out where it flatted and why so you can prevent the cause rather than just patching it up and hoping for the best.
Old 08-01-19, 07:07 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
Get a pump and a pressure gauge and pump them up to something in the recommended tire pressure range. When you get a feeling of what works and what doesn't, you can play around and see what works best.
Old 08-01-19, 07:12 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Well, do you pump your tires up before riding? Its probably not necessary every day but if you're getting flats and jumping curbs and what not, you should probably go to the max inflation listed on the sidewall of the tire. It sounds like your curb jumping excursion was what we like to call a pinch flat.

Next time you get a flat, take the tube out and figure out where it flatted and why so you can prevent the cause rather than just patching it up and hoping for the best.
Usually the holes is near the valve, my pump that I use doesnt correctly say the air pressure so probably gonna need to get a small one on Amazon that correctly tells me the pressure. Problem is I dont know the "why"
Old 08-01-19, 07:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
A large gash in the tube that's not accompanied by a gash in the tire, indicates a pinched tube, where the tube is between the rim and the tire bead. When inflated, the tube eventually pushes out from behind the bead and, not being able to sustain the pressure by itself, pops. Proper mounting prevents these kinds of flats.

The second flat you describe is a "pinch flat" (not to be confused with the pinched tube above.) In a pinch flat, you have insufficient pressure in the tube, and when you hit an obstacle, the tire bottoms out against the rim and you get a pair of holes punched in your tube by blunt trauma. They typically look like a pair of snake fangs put holes in the tube, so the other common name for this type of flat is a "snakebite." The solution is to keep more air in the wheel so that the tire cannot bottom out.
Old 08-01-19, 08:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I'd certainly start by making sure you're inflating your tires to the max pressure (you can go lower later when you figure out what works). A decent floor pump with a pressure gauge is really a necessity. A good one will last decades, so don't go too cheap.
Old 08-02-19, 07:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
tubeless