Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Mountain bike in $500-600 Range

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 08:40 AM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are your opinions?
Old 08-16-19, 10:35 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Op.....in your price range I would consider a "lightly" used one vs buying new.
When I was looking around for a MTB I had to consider bikes costing ~$1000CDN to get something half decent new.
In the end my needs and actual use led me to a rigid "Hybrid". Great option for mostly paved roads and some light paths and well under your budget.

Good luck with your search......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 08-16-19, 10:50 AM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Yes, buy used on Craigslist. Plan on spending even more to service any suspension (if you buy a suspension bike).
Old 08-16-19, 11:18 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
500-600 bucks will buy a mountain bike looking machine good for light trail use. If buying used, do not go full sus unless you are willing to service pivots. Suspension forks and rear shocks are another issue to contend with.
Old 08-16-19, 11:49 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
How and where will you ride it?

If you haven't figured it out, your intended use will drive the price. A full sus BSO is $130 on craigslist here, yet I realized that my preference is going to be XC or singletrack, not all mountain, gravity, etc. I picked up an early 90's rigid frame, because I figured it'd be lighter than a similar level hardtail. I'll have to refurbish it, but I'm OK with that. Fully functional specialized and trek frames here are around $200, with and without a squishy front end. Full sus alloy DH machine? lightly used it's still over $600.
Old 08-16-19, 12:08 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
"Good","Better", "Best", doesn't usually become real apparent until somewhat higher price ranges. At the $500 dollar range, most bikes from a given name-brand manufacturer are usually going to be pretty comparable (and just barely above what might be considered outright junk).
As mentioned already, a clean, low-miles bike on Craigslist is probably your best bet. Also, as already mentioned, suspension gets you into another arena entirely. If you expect to do any heavy riding that will really need suspension, I would advise you save more money, and up your budget for a better bike.
If you plan on any serious use, you want a front fork that costs at least as much as you're wanting to spend on a whole bike !! Cheap forks are junk, and don't hold up, except for road and light trail riding, in which case, they're basically just a plain front fork, but with extra weight, and still having potential maintenance headaches.
I've been digging the rigid fork/hybrid concept lately, in fact I just sold my trusty old trek 26" mtn bike, and a couple months ago, built a rigid-fork, hybrid/dual-sport type bike, with 29" wheels, single speed crank, and 9-spd gearing. That bike will be fine on trails and dirt roads, but is also pretty nimble on the road, as a commuter/exercise bike.
I'm older now, and have no interest in thrashing the hell out myself and my bike, off-road, so I don't need the extra weight, cost, and maintenance headaches,of a suspension bike. Makes things easy, and i have a better bike without suspension, than I'd have if I spent the same money, on one with suspension . This may or may not apply to you, but you get the idea.
So, what type of riding to you actually plan to do?

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-16-19 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 12:48 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
For that budget I’d buy a rigid fork hybrid, not a MTB.

If I wanted a MTB I’d budget north of $1000 for a bike with a hydraulic damping fork and a dropper post. Probably the bottom build on a model that goes up near $2000.

I haven’t yet run out of nice things to say about my Timberjack.