Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Show us your gravel/cross bike...

Old 10-06-19, 11:01 AM
RideMyLeMond

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Raleigh Gran Sport (frame only), 1989 Diamondback Apex, 1997 LeMond Zurich, 2018 Specialized Diverge running R8020 Ultegra.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Diverge now shod with 650b and Specialized Pathfinder Pro tubeless in 47c. The ride on the trails is greatly improved!

Last edited by RideMyLeMond; 10-08-19 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-06-19, 04:21 PM
glider54

Bikes: 2016 DCO RealFat 26, 2015 Fuji Sportif 2.3 converted to single speed, 2019 Mec Provincial Road 222

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Mec Provincial Road 222.
Old 10-14-19, 12:28 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
My grinder

Finished build

First ride on bike
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 10-19-19, 06:50 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
New bike day.. shake down ride on our local easy mtb trails. First race on it tomorrow. Giant TCX Advanced.
Likes For Jakedatc:
Old 10-21-19, 07:57 AM
WestboroGoose

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Surly Cross-Check, Nashbar Steel 'Cross, Ribble Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Just built up a 56cm Surly Cross Check frame with a used set of Shimano 105s (50/34 to 11-32), Tektro brakes, and Alexrims CX28 wheels with 32mm Kenda touring tires. As I'm kind of a heavyweight myself (at 270 lbs), the weight of the frame is no issue at all. I highly recommend this setup for other big boys

Old 10-21-19, 08:57 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring

Old school.
Old's cool!
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 10-25-19, 11:57 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I agree, it is cool, but I'll tell ya from experience - downtube shifters and knobby tires don't always play together well. You had better have your reach dialed in when you reach down to change gears!
Old 10-25-19, 07:31 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Likes For intransit1217:
Old 10-25-19, 07:36 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry. First time uploading a picture here. Couldn’t figure out how to get text in the pic.

Picked it up on close out for 750, dumped the 2.1 slant sixes immediately. Hated those tires. Finally got to swap the deore drive and pro max brakes for 105 w FSA 46/30 mega exo and some trp spare stoppers. Tubeless resolutes!
Old 10-27-19, 11:35 AM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by irideiam
I don't get it. Why in the world would you want your brake levers pointing at the sky like that?

Likes For ab_antiquo:
Old 10-27-19, 12:28 PM
irideiam

Bikes: Various Vintage City Bikes, Cruisers, and Gravel/Adventure Bikes

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
I don't get it. Why in the world would you want your brake levers pointing at the sky like that?

They're not, they are even with the drops the Salsa Woodchipper drops kick out. This is how Salsa recommends they be setup. Here's some pics of someone else with the same set.
Old 10-27-19, 12:35 PM
StumpyJR

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Tracklocross set up at the moment, but I have a rear wheel (and a matching rear brake with paul lever) to race sscx on.

Likes For StumpyJR:
Old 10-27-19, 12:40 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

They're not, they are even with the drops the Salsa Woodchipper drops kick out. This is how Salsa recommends they be setup. Here's some pics of someone else with the same set.

Is this some kind of optical illusion then? I'm trying to imagine one finger braking from the hooks and the kind of wrist contortions that would be required.

Old 10-27-19, 12:58 PM
irideiam

Is this some kind of optical illusion then? I'm trying to imagine one finger braking from the hooks and the kind of wrist contortions that would be required.
It's an optical illusion! Did you not look at the pictures above?
Old 10-27-19, 01:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

They are tilted way up.
And it renders braking from the drops nearly useless.
It also isnt how this style was originally intended to be used.

But style and use changes with time and though the flared drops were originally intended to be basically flat for significant riding time in that position, even Salsa apparently claims an absurd angle is how they should be used.
People like em that way, I guess.

Good thing about bars is that each of us can set them how we want for how we ride.
My flared bars are level, but on one bar design i used to use, making the drops level then cants the brake lever in and slightly down. Many wouldnt like that.

My current Cowchipper bars are a great blend of level drops and flare without placing the levers in a wonky position too.

Soma Gator and Salsa Woodchipper bars seem like a really specific application bars to me, due to the severed bend at the hooks. Many of these flare bars seem like very specific application bars, actually.

These are pics I stole off the internet. Left(back) is Soma Gator, middle is Salsa Woodchipper, and front(right) is Sala Cowchipper.
You can see the extreme anger at the hooks on the Gator and Woodchipper. This hard angle requires levers to either mount pointing down and in if the drops are level, or it requires the drops to be pointed down at a significant angle if the levers are going to be mounted relatively level.

Just mentioning all this since it comes up on a semi-regular basis. One person mounts their bars with the drops at a useless angle, another person aggressively points this out, and disagreement ensues.
Both are right in this instance. Neither are wrong in this instance. And neither are right too. It's all just perspective.

Bars are set up how we use them, even if that's different from the original intended design.
Old 10-27-19, 01:13 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

It's an optical illusion! Did you not look at the pictures above?

I've looked at your pictures with your brake levers pointing at the sky which you claim aren't pointing at the sky due to pictures of some other guy's bars.

I still don't get why someone would want to ride with that kind of setup.
Old 10-27-19, 01:33 PM
irideiam

I've looked at your pictures with your brake levers pointing at the sky which you claim aren't pointing at the sky due to pictures of some other guy's bars.

I still don't get why someone would want to ride with that kind of setup.
You can keep not getting it and mind your own business, you would have been better off simply asking instead of being so aggressive. I am done with trying to explain it to you.
Old 10-27-19, 01:34 PM
irideiam

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
they are tilted way up.
And it renders braking from the drops nearly useless.
It also isnt how this style was originally intended to be used.

But style and use changes with time and though the flared drops were originally intended to be basically flat for significant riding time in that position, even salsa apparently claims an absurd angle is how they should be used.
People like em that way, i guess.

Good thing about bars is that each of us can set them how we want for how we ride.
My flared bars are level, but on one bar design i used to use, making the drops level then cants the brake lever in and slightly down. Many wouldnt like that.

My current cowchipper bars are a great blend of level drops and flare without placing the levers in a wonky position too.

Soma gator and salsa woodchipper bars seem like a really specific application bars to me, due to the severed bend at the hooks. Many of these flare bars seem like very specific application bars, actually.

these are pics i stole off the internet. Left(back) is soma gator, middle is salsa woodchipper, and front(right) is sala cowchipper.
You can see the extreme anger at the hooks on the gator and woodchipper. This hard angle requires levers to either mount pointing down and in if the drops are level, or it requires the drops to be pointed down at a significant angle if the levers are going to be mounted relatively level.

Just mentioning all this since it comes up on a semi-regular basis. One person mounts their bars with the drops at a useless angle, another person aggressively points this out, and disagreement ensues.
Both are right in this instance. Neither are wrong in this instance. And neither are right too. It's all just perspective.

Bars are set up how we use them, even if that's different from the original intended design.
thank you!
Old 10-27-19, 01:41 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

You can keep not getting it and mind your own business, you would have been better off simply asking instead of being so aggressive. I am done with trying to explain it to you.

Your photo prompted me to see what Salsa says about their bars and it makes your photos even more perplexing. "The brake/shifter position should be canted downward slightly, resulting in a 20–25° downward angle of the drops."

Additional info: https://salsacycles.com/culture/my_woodchipper_set_up

How do you brake when in the drops?

Last edited by Hermes; 10-28-19 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 10-27-19, 01:48 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts

Dropper post is a gamechanger
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 10-27-19, 02:03 PM
irideiam

1991 Trek 520 Touring frame (Made in Waterloo, USA lugged cro-mo frame), converted to a Gravel Grinder.
The bike is relatively quick for a touring frame and handles more like a CX bike with the 429mm chainstay, but can still handle a 42C tire without finders, 40C with fenders.
All new parts:
-Velocity Dyad / Shimano 105 hubs, custom wheelset
-700x40 Maxxis Rambler DC/EXO TR Gravel
-Rival 1 crankset 42T, 1X11
-Apex 1 rear derailleur, shifter/mechanical levers
-Paul Motolite Brakes (yes they work with the Apex levers)
-Thomson Elite Layback Seat post
-Brooks B17 Imperial
-Salsa Guide Stem & 46cm Woodchipper bars
-Speedplay Drillium flats pedals

Likes For irideiam:
Old 10-27-19, 02:44 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE TO ALL: Let's lighten up on the personal jabs, Thanks

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Likes For Homebrew01:
Old 10-28-19, 07:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

thank you!
Sure, I guess.
My post contained some historical context and modern application to explain how both you and the other poster could both be 'right', but at the same time- I really dont disagree that it looks like your drops are useless for braking, at least for me they would be useless. I would not find the position comfortable due to needing to be lower than I could otherwise be, and snaking my arms under the tops to then cock my wrists upwards.

The drops are pointed to the ground in front of the crank- its pretty severe. If you like it, then more power. It seems though that many set flared bars up with a severe drop angle like this because they are used to riding the hoods and arent used to the bar's design as it was originally meant to have the drops quite level for long periods of riding in the drops. The bars were also then set up higher than usual to account for using the drops so much. As mentioned- the varied bends of bars seems to be great for specific situations, but it appears that many users grab a flare bar and figure they are all the same or something.
This is all just an fyi in case you find yourself seriously uncomfortable 40mi from home because your back and wrists ache from the contorting to use the brakes in the drops(or not being able to use the drops at all). Rotating the bars clockwise may bring you more usable hand positions. Or if you are more flexible than I(which is about everyone), the setup you have may be perfect.
Old 10-28-19, 07:56 AM
irideiam

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Sure, I guess.
My post contained some historical context and modern application to explain how both you and the other poster could both be 'right', but at the same time- I really dont disagree that it looks like your drops are useless for braking, at least for me they would be useless. I would not find the position comfortable due to needing to be lower than I could otherwise be, and snaking my arms under the tops to then cock my wrists upwards.

The drops are pointed to the ground in front of the crank- its pretty severe. If you like it, then more power. It seems though that many set flared bars up with a severe drop angle like this because they are used to riding the hoods and arent used to the bar's design as it was originally meant to have the drops quite level for long periods of riding in the drops. The bars were also then set up higher than usual to account for using the drops so much. As mentioned- the varied bends of bars seems to be great for specific situations, but it appears that many users grab a flare bar and figure they are all the same or something.
This is all just an fyi in case you find yourself seriously uncomfortable 40mi from home because your back and wrists ache from the contorting to use the brakes in the drops(or not being able to use the drops at all). Rotating the bars clockwise may bring you more usable hand positions. Or if you are more flexible than I(which is about everyone), the setup you have may be perfect.
Thanks for being reasonable! Makes it easier to respond to you. Works well for me as I can brake in the drops and from the hoods with ease. I have long arms and big hands which may help. I originally had the drops set level and didn't like the feel, I need to check where they are now as that's an older picture while I was still getting everything setup. My guess is they are now set somewhere between what the pictures show and level, either way they are comfortable from my perspective.
Old 10-28-19, 08:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Thanks for being reasonable! Makes it easier to respond to you. Works well for me as I can brake in the drops and from the hoods with ease. I have long arms and big hands which may help. I originally had the drops set level and didn't like the feel, I need to check where they are now as that's an older picture while I was still getting everything setup. My guess is they are now set somewhere between what the pictures show and level, either way they are comfortable from my perspective.
Hey- as long as its comfortable. Below is an old pic of my brother in law's gravel bike. Its gone thru many changes since this- STIs and flared bars for one thing. Anyways, I think its a '92 750, which was the same frame as the 520 frame. Same brazeons, geometry, etc.
The early 90s 520 and 720 models really are versatile frames.

Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.