Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Almost starting from the beginning...so sad!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-15, 10:07 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So on April 18 I did something stupid and injuried myself seriously. Had my ankle pinned on April 30 and the screws came out last week. During this time, I could not ride; not even sit on a spin bike (the doctor was afraid the activity could break the screws). And because I was in a cast of some sort for 4 almost 5 mos., I did little exercise other than weight lifting for my upper body. So yeah... I was basically a couch potato and have the expanded waist line to prove it.

Last night was my first time back on a bike. I took out the commuter which has flat pedals (I still cannot clip in and out of a cleat - too much pain) and flat bars. My plan was to ride an hour just slow and easy. Well... how far I have fallen. I rode an hour (almost) but I think I only went 2 maybe 3 miles. All that time I was huffing and puffing and almost in tears realizing how little "fitness" I have left. Small little bumps seemed to be big hills! I am literally starting all over again, darn. So much work ahead of me. I can see why some people just give up the sport altogether. I realize I am going to have to force myself to get out there and try; otherwise I'll never get it back. What's sad is just before my accident, I was probably in my best shape ever; strong, confident, not afraid to tackle distance or climbing. Now I am afraid to get back on the bike and have to ride another 2 - 3 miles on flat surface...

I appreciate and feel for everyone who is just starting out either again or the first time...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 09-14-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 10:19 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I feel your pain! Literally, I have a plate and 4 screws in my left foot and it still feels weird. Oh, and that ankle has also been kevlared back together.

I don't get it, some people can take 6 months off and never drop an ounce of fitness... for me it's more like a week.

Keep the faith, you'll be "back" before you know it.
Old 09-04-15, 10:45 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Wednesday night was my wife's third ride since her ankle surgery. Made an almost 10 mile trip, it started raining (light and pleasant) about 3 miles into our ride, and she just kept pedaling. I actually rode up beside her in the rain and gave her the pointers about wet paint, wet brakes, puddles and leaves because she wasn't going to stop. I was very proud of her.

I did a terrible job of riding last year myself, I just let life get in the way. But this year has been a complete turn around, I've been riding with a group and we have turned into a great support system for training and riding. Just keep riding.
Old 09-04-15, 11:10 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 4-5 months off, you'll find that your fitness returns much more quickly than if you were truly starting over again. Seriously, it will come back quickly. If you ride regularly, I bet your back up to your normal ride lengths and performance within weeks. Had you been off a couple of years, it would be different, but this won't be so bad. First week or two will be hard, but once you get through that, you'll be back in form in short order. I have a fair amount of experience coming back from injury induced idleness, so I've been there.
Old 09-04-15, 11:41 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well bass... I hope you are right! That ride last night was hard!!! I plan to do more (and longer) rides this weekend so wish me luck.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 09-04-15, 01:11 PM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Pam - on the bright side you're back on the bike, and you know what it feels like to be where you want to be because you've been there.

Take it slow. And remember every one of us regardless of fitness level has days when we feel great on the bike, and days when we feel not so great. It still beats work!
Old 09-04-15, 01:20 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
Pam at least you live in a place where you can ride year round outside. Put in the base miles and you will get your fitness back. I agree with #bassjones that the first several weeks will not be pleasant or easy both physically and mentally but once you are past that you should improve by leaps and bounds.
Old 09-04-15, 01:29 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You got this!

Go and have fun. The performance will return in due time.
Old 09-04-15, 01:50 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think taking a week or two off between rides can be worse for your body than one large "vacation". I work long hours during the week and rarely get on my bike mainly due to pure exhaustion, then weekends I've been stuck with parental responsibilities now that school's about to start up again. My last ride, a typical 25 mile loop after a week break, took me two and a half hours with virtually no wind (high humidity though which can seem just as bad sometimes) while it used to take only 90 min. Just work up to it, you'll return to your fit level soon enough! :thumbsup:

Last edited by MikeRides; 09-04-15 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-04-15, 02:10 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think a lot of being a cyclist is mental, I am dead certain that even 20 YEARS off the bike for the most part, that fact that I had ridden back then gave me a HUGE leg up on people making the journey to their first Century for the first time.

Your mind is still that of a cyclist, it will drive your body up to the "old speed" or as close as you can come MUCH more quickly than you got there the first time :-).

Bill
Old 09-04-15, 02:23 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hang in there, you are going to be just fine...just adjust the mind set and keep it fun.
Old 09-04-15, 03:14 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Stick with it. For myself, one of the greatest joys in cycling (or any athletic endeavor) is the satisfaction that comes as you are able it increase your fitness. When what was a struggle last month, becomes a cake walk this month and you are able to increase your goals it will be worth it. And it always amazes me how quickly those goals can be met.
Old 09-04-15, 04:42 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
I feel ya pain....sort of. I just had the plate and 8 screws removed from where my collarbone exploded when I had an accident. I have basically no reach in my left arm at the moment and during the plating period, could not lean on the arm at all, so basically any upper body exercise was not approved. I could only walk at a slow pace. Anything that would shake rattle or roll the shoulder was verboten... . Did not keep me from getting my bike priorities in order though. LOL. I bought a new bike, have been picking and choosing parts and moving parts from bike to bike and selling another all in prep of getting back on the bike. I am so ready to start commuting again, I can't wait.

Old 09-04-15, 05:12 PM
glider54

Bikes: 2016 DCO RealFat 26, 2015 Fuji Sportif 2.3 converted to single speed, 2019 Mec Provincial Road 222

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I know the frustration of an injury denying you the ability to do the things you love, and I know how hard it can be to start over. The mental pain is the hardest to deal with. But as Willbird says, you already have the mind of a cyclist. It will be a tough go for a while, but I think you'll regain a lot before you know it.
Old 09-04-15, 05:54 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Congratulations on being able to ride again! I started over just 2 years ago this month after not really riding much at all for 30 years. What was amazing to me was the noticeable progress each week. Now after 2 years and almost 10K miles, progress is much more subtle.

Being off just a few months, I'm sure your fitness level will increase quickly. Look at where you are each week compared to the prior week, not where you were before you got hurt.

Maybe a GMR ride in the spring of next year?
Old 09-04-15, 06:05 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pam,
i think that is amazing considering the amount of healing necessary.

Best of fortune!
Old 09-04-15, 06:26 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Hang in there! As the others have mentioned...you will get there. But I empathize with you. I feel my loss of fitness from lack of riding due to travel and other non cycling activities this summer. I feel slow and out of shape. I struggled on Cool Breeze this year and I did so much better last year and the year before. And I am not coming back from a serious injury to make things tougher. I will be pulling for ya!
Old 09-05-15, 04:56 AM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with starting over is that you have memory and expectations of "when I could"....
Old 09-05-15, 05:54 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dual650c
The problem with starting over is that you have memory and expectations of "when I could"....
Yep.

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 09-05-15, 06:30 AM
Lee Yoder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job in getting back on the bike! That is the hardest part. As others have posted, it is good and bad that you have memory.....bad as in you know what you WERE able to do before the injury, and good because that same memory will get you back to that point and beyond. I came off the bike about three and a half weeks ago and messed my shoulder up. Nothing broken, but it is still giving enough problems that I want to my doctor to investigate further. Take it easy and don't over-extend and you should be fine. I personally had to ride 7 miles back to the car after my accident, and have been able to do a couple of 25 milers since, so all is not lost.

Later,
Old 09-05-15, 07:54 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I feel ya pain....sort of. I just had the plate and 8 screws removed from where my collarbone exploded when I had an accident.
OK that sounds friggin aweful... Did you have the plate removed as a routine procedure or did you blow it all apart because of an accident??? I have a plate and screws as well and debate every year to have it removed; it bugs me alot. I can't imagine having this thing there where I reach 70 or 80... if routine, how all was it there and why did you have it removed?

I did another ride today.. alittle farther and little longer (5 miles)... still all was hard and I am so tired now. My ankle is aching and I'm icing it. Tomorrow I plan just alittle longer ride (10 miles) and hope I start to get into a routine. One thing i forgot about; geesus; getting used to the saddle again... why did I buy such a "hurty" saddle???

I keep telling myself; I will get it back, I will get it back. It may take until next spring; but hopefully it comes back...

Last edited by Pamestique; 09-05-15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-05-15, 09:09 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Hey Pam, sorry for the confusion. I had an accident and my collarbone broke into 4 pieces and some small bits. Not all of it was positioned where it could be easily retrieved without risk of nerve damage. The doc put in the plate and told me it would be a very tough op and would be amazing if all the screws remained in bone. After the first week, the 2 screws on the outsize detached out of the bone and the plate started to shift to a more verticle position from the slightly horizontal position it was on. After 3 months only 1 screw was still in bone, I could feel all 8 screw heads and the plate edge. It was brutally painful, I had a 24/7 nerve pain in my tricep as screws were pinching on my nerve. Once the bone filled in nicely, was solid enough, the doc said he would pull the plate. That was done last Tuesday and the nerve pain is for the most gone, my arm range is about 3 inches without pain, so I will have major pt work ahead of me. I can barely reach the hoods without major struggle and cant pull the left brake lever at this time. A lot of work ahead for me, but I will get there at some point.

One of the guys at the lbs, had more of less the same issue I did, but he still has his plate in, has a full range of motion and it does not bother him, so I think it just depends on your situation. If you dont need the plate, discuss with your surgeon to have it removed.
Old 09-08-15, 05:01 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
OK that sounds friggin aweful... Did you have the plate removed as a routine procedure or did you blow it all apart because of an accident??? I have a plate and screws as well and debate every year to have it removed; it bugs me alot. I can't imagine having this thing there where I reach 70 or 80... if routine, how all was it there and why did you have it removed?

I did another ride today.. alittle farther and little longer (5 miles)... still all was hard and I am so tired now. My ankle is aching and I'm icing it. Tomorrow I plan just alittle longer ride (10 miles) and hope I start to get into a routine. One thing i forgot about; geesus; getting used to the saddle again... why did I buy such a "hurty" saddle???

I keep telling myself; I will get it back, I will get it back. It may take until next spring; but hopefully it comes back...
Hey Pam! I'm just tossing my support into the ring.

Machka has her own story to tell about being off the bike (in her case, DVT) and the frustrations involved in putting on weight, getting it off again, and overcoming fitness issues, especially the aforementioned high expectations.

It's a gradual process, for sure, but it's worth it. Five miles is nothing to sneeze at -- go ask your average shopper at a Walmart. Just remember the 10% or 15% rules... add that much to your previous ride. Your butt might appreciate that sort of progress, too!

And yes! You will get it back. But maybe leave the single track alone for a while.
Old 09-08-15, 07:10 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
So on April 18 I did something stupid and injuried myself seriously. Had my ankle pinned on April 20 and the screws came out last week. During this time, I could not ride; not even sit on a spin bike (the doctor was afraid the activity could break the screws). And because I was in a cast of some sort for 4 almost 5 mos., I did little exercise other than weight lifting for my upper body. So yeah... I was basically a couch potato and have the expanded waist line to prove it.

Last night was my first time back on a bike. I took out the commuter which has flat pedals (I still cannot clip in and out of a cleat - too much pain) and flat bars. My plan was to ride an hour just slow and easy. Well... how far I have fallen. I rode an hour (almost) but I think I only went 2 maybe 3 miles. All that time I was huffing and puffing and almost in tears realizing how little "fitness" I have left. Small little bumps seemed to be big hills! I am literally starting all over again, darn. So much work ahead of me. I can see why some people just give up the sport altogether. I realize I am going to have to force myself to get out there and try; otherwise I'll never get it back. What's sad is just before my accident, I was probably in my best shape ever; strong, confident, not afraid to tackle distance or climbing. Now I am afraid to get back on the bike and have to ride another 2 - 3 miles on flat surface...

I appreciate and feel for everyone who is just starting out either again or the first time...
When I broke my femur, I walked on crutches for several hours each day. I also reduced my calorie intake substantially. You probably should have done something like that.
Old 09-08-15, 08:18 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Congrats, Pam - admitting the problem means you are on the road to recovery - go slow - it will get better. I promise!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.