Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Feel powerless today - scale pointing the wrong way again

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 11-12-15, 11:45 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts

Jumped on the scale this morning after not being on it for 2 weeks, -- and the result -- 330. (Up from 325)

I've had some great rides and a couple of sessions on my rowing machine in that 2 weeks - i truly expected a downward trend

In my distant past, i was a very good track sprinter, and dabbled in bmx- i weighed between 205-215 lbs in peak condition and at 5'9, i am/was- built more like a small bodybuilder than a cyclist (ITs not uncommon for sprint trackies to be even bigger than that)

----- after starting my current career 13 years ago, i dove headfirst into work and packed on 100 pounds in 7 or 8 years -- it seemed gradual at first . But i went years without seriously riding my bike - i haven't pinned on a number since 2001

So here i am at 44 years old, and i regularly go on what i would consider to be "fun" rides - hour long MTB rides at a high RPE (rate of perceived effort) , plus occasional sessions at the BMX track, coupled with 30 minute rowing sessions.

My food intake per a Calorie Counter app is between 2300 and 2800 calories per day, -- but i'm also a beer hound. I can easilly add 7-800 calories a day in beer. And beer is my favorite post MTB ride refresher

I dug out my old training logs, and i never really had a week where i did not drink beer, - however i also ate between 4500-5500 calories per day most days and spent 25-30 hours a week training between the track and the gym

I like riding my road bike, but i dont love it, --- i'd much rather do something a little higher in intensity and be done with it than do a 3 hour long ride, ---
Even at my weight, i do far more than most of my peers and i am shocked that i am not making any progress whatseoever

So its clear to me that i need to

1) ditch my beer habit

2) work on a more systematic approach to making progress, rather than just going out and having fun when the weather presents a great day

I dont know how i ever managed to live with myself , nor how i let the weight creep up, --- but i was starting a new career, and it was exciting --- It was also a refreshing change not to be constantly thinking about my next workout, or next meal

I have had a recent health screening - curiously enough, my blood numbers are all good and i'm not diabetic -- the doc stated that i am the picture of good health with the exception of the scale reading

Even in Oklahoma, winter time is approaching -- winds were 50+ mph yesterday, and it gets dark early, -- so the bulk of my training may very well have to be indoors-- but i have a lot less inclination to go pound 6 brews after a 1/2 hour rowing or spin bike session than i do after getting in a nice ride outdoors

Writing this and expressing myself in words is my way of "coming clean" a little bit -- but when i saw the scale up 5 pounds this morning, it crossed my mind that if i dont fix this soon, at my age --- it'll just got harder

Long rant --- anybody who managed to hang in till the end, thanks for reading
Old 11-12-15, 11:50 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Unfortunately, as you age your body likes to pack on more weight for the same food intake / exercise outtake.

The best advice I can give you is to honestly track your food intake (there are tons of apps, it sounds like you are already using one) and don't necessarily eliminate anything you enjoy but definitely mix up the frequency & quantity to get the results you want. And don't add back the calories you burn on a bike / rowing machine.
Old 11-12-15, 01:48 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
I find a tape measure (or the looseness or tightness of my clothes) to be a better measure of weight loss... no it doesn't give you a weight in pounds, but it will tell you if you are shrinking (as in if my belt isn't on I have to keep on hand close to my pants incase they decide to make a dive for the floor... nothing like having pants around the ankles when walking across the kitchen at home).
Old 11-12-15, 02:15 PM
yooperbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started this summer with goal to loose some weight. Figured cycling several times a week and just a bit of care of food intake would take care of it. Well, that did not work. Started then tracking calories very carefully. One thing I noticed is that I had the habit of figuring if I did a ride I earned the right to eat a bit more. Result there was over doing it, eating more extra calories than I had even burned.

I went to a daily goal of 1800 net calories (i.e., allowing extra food calories over that to compensate for exercise), and keeping a goal of getting enough protein and good fats in those calories (15% and 30% of total calories). Soon learned that beer and other liquor had to be reduced way down to meet my goals (as beer calories are of no nutritional value to me). I still have a few beers every week, but they are kept as special treats and not an every day thing. I really feel better for it, as frankly just drinking out of habit I don't think is good for one's health.
Old 11-12-15, 02:25 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check this out:

Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

After riding really hard all year and stalling out on weight loss, I got turned on to the Primal Blueprint. The idea is that doing lots of chronic cardio will stall weight loss. He recommends taking it easier on cardio, doing weights coupled with removing grains and processed sugar from the diet.

I'm doing it now and weight is dropping again, but more importantly, my body composition is improving and I am feeling better now that I'm off the carb up/carb out, high intensity cardio plan.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 11-13-15 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 03:06 PM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's a better summary:

How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple
Old 11-12-15, 04:19 PM
DMC707

Thanks Jarret ---

I like the premise - weights, lots of low intensity stuff , followed by a couple of hard efforts a week is a scaled down version of some late season periodization schemes i've seen

No problems on the sleeping--- one of the things that prompted me to visit the doc recently was i was getting tired in the middle of the day and needed to take a nap - a high carb meal would prompt this too --- i thought i had diabetes or something-- (i dont have it --- and i love a nap occasionally, but everyday seemed a bit much when i got 6-7 hours of sleep a night regularly

Its pretty bad when i get invited to a party and tell my friends i cant make it - i have a litany of canned excuses for stuff like this, but the truth of the matter is i just dont feel like showing my face -- i thought it curious that i felt like this since i have been dealing with my weight problem for years now and my better friends are already used to the "new me" -- this tells me there is a psychological component to a weight loss struggle i am dealing with too
--- i told myself i'd be better off staying home and riding my bike than drinking and cracking jokes . In person, i'm a pretty gregarious guy, but i just didnt feel like "getting up" to be the life of the party for the umpteenth time

I likely have some issues outside the scope of a forum for heavyset cyclists, but for now i'll focus on going into the winter with some positive goals

As an aside, i found out on recent trips to the mountains that i'm a fairly good downhill rider, -- likely some residual skills left over from long ago BMX and motocross sessions, --- so this gives me something to look forward to --- when the slopes open up next May, i'd truly like to pin a number on again

I truly used to love to compete, -- i didnt ride for the love of riding, in fact it got to be a drag at times . I looked at the training during the week merely as the mechanism it took so i'd be ready to race on the weekends. Thats one of the reasons it was so easy to kick the bike to the curb when my racing aspirations were over -- it was almost a relief, ---

-- but now, i need the bike to serve as the shovel as i try to dig myself out of a hole

Last edited by DMC707; 11-12-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-12-15, 05:42 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMC707
Thanks Jarret ---

I like the premise - weights, lots of low intensity stuff , followed by a couple of hard efforts a week is a scaled down version of some late season periodization schemes i've seen

No problems on the sleeping--- one of the things that prompted me to visit the doc recently was i was getting tired in the middle of the day and needed to take a nap - a high carb meal would prompt this too --- i thought i had diabetes or something-- (i dont have it --- and i love a nap occasionally, but everyday seemed a bit much when i got 6-7 hours of sleep a night regularly

Its pretty bad when i get invited to a party and tell my friends i cant make it - i have a litany of canned excuses for stuff like this, but the truth of the matter is i just dont feel like showing my face -- i thought it curious that i felt like this since i have been dealing with my weight problem for years now and my better friends are already used to the "new me" -- this tells me there is a psychological component to a weight loss struggle i am dealing with too
--- i told myself i'd be better off staying home and riding my bike than drinking and cracking jokes . In person, i'm a pretty gregarious guy, but i just didnt feel like "getting up" to be the life of the party for the umpteenth time

I likely have some issues outside the scope of a forum for heavyset cyclists, but for now i'll focus on going into the winter with some positive goals

As an aside, i found out on recent trips to the mountains that i'm a fairly good downhill rider, -- likely some residual skills left over from long ago BMX and motocross sessions, --- so this gives me something to look forward to --- when the slopes open up next May, i'd truly like to pin a number on again

I truly used to love to compete, -- i didnt ride for the love of riding, in fact it got to be a drag at times . I looked at the training during the week merely as the mechanism it took so i'd be ready to race on the weekends. Thats one of the reasons it was so easy to kick the bike to the curb when my racing aspirations were over -- it was almost a relief, ---

-- but now, i need the bike to serve as the shovel as i try to dig myself out of a hole
DMC, you're not alone... I imagine more than a few of us here know precisely how you feel--I know I do. I'm currently pulling back on the stick, hard, to power out of a nose dive (being served with divorce papers, struggling at a weight plateau, etc.), but "it ain't over 'til its over!" for me . I, too, am checking out Jarret's link as my diet is not my friend right now (I'm counting everything, but seem to be on a serious yo-yo). Still, the fight goes on... Hang in there, bud.

Oh, and I forgot to mention--I'm living vicariously through Jsig's/TH's/PJ's expoits...
Old 11-13-15, 09:02 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I remember being there. 405 lbs. and making up every excuse I could to get out of social activities as I really didn't want folks seeing me at that size. There is definitely a psychological aspect to weight loss.

Here's a shopping list of the things to eat on the Primal Blueprint:

Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple

It's got me more into cooking lately. Egg white omelettes, chicken or pork stir fry, steaks, pan-seared salmon. I'm starting to enjoy the process of making this food and improving it each time. I've also found that these Oscar Mayer P3 Portable Protein Packs are great grab and go snacks on this plan. I like the one with turkey and almonds the most. They have them at my local Quick Trip gas stations, which makes it easy to grab something when I'm out and don't want to eat the usual bad road snacks.
Old 11-13-15, 09:28 AM
yooperbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-- but i'm also a beer hound. I can easilly add 7-800 calories a day in beer. And beer is my favorite post MTB ride refresher...
I had a hard time cutting back on my beers. Love my IPAs.

What I have done is replace my regular beers with carbonated flavored mineral water (La Croix). I will pour a can into a glass with ice, and then squeeze a lime (or lemon) in. It really is very refreshing. I sometimes just drink it from the can, but I find the whole glass/ice/lime thing makes it feel more like a real drink. Actually end up feeling better afterwards as no effects of alcohol slowing me down.

I still love my beers, but try to save those for special treats. I am down to maybe 4 to 6 beers a week (plus maybe a couple of glasses of wine per week). That is a very considerable reduction in calories compared to my old intake. Takes a while to develop a new habit, but is working for me now.
Old 11-13-15, 09:41 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
on average how munch time per week are you logging on the bike.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 11-13-15, 09:51 AM
Jarrett2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here's what Strava tells me:

[TABLE="class: dense striped"]
[TR]
[TH]Last 4 Weeks[/TH]
[TH="class: viewing"][/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Avg Rides / Week[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Avg Distance / Week[/TD]
[TD]104 mi[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Avg Time / Week[/TD]
[TD]8h 35m[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 11-13-15, 10:27 AM
Cyril 

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My suggestion? Keep it really simple.
Ditch the beer.
Make no other radical changes for a few months.
All the advice given in this thread is quite good and spot on, but doing
too much too soon can be really overwhelming.

Just ditch the beer and re evaluate the situation in a few months.

And ride your bike as often as you can.
fast, slow, long, short...just ride.
Old 11-13-15, 01:37 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Check this out:

Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

After riding really hard all year and stalling out on weight loss, I got turned on to the Primal Blueprint. The idea is that doing lots of chronic cardio will stall weight loss.
Cardio is good.

Riding 5-6 days a week I dropped from over 205 to 135-137 pounds, 36" pants to 26" around measured with a tape measure, sweaty crease between man boobs and belly to abs, large to XS or XXS jerseys, XL to small shorts.

Without being hungry.

I'm doing it now and weight is dropping again, but more importantly, my body composition is improving and I am feeling better now that I'm off the carb up/carb out, high intensity cardio plan.
High intensity cardio is not good for weight loss leading to the aphorism "you can't loose weight during racing season"

While you burn more calories per hour, the share which are glycogen increase, and eventually the percent which are fat decrease. Hunger increases disproportionately to what you've spent with the result termed "runger" by runners.

My weight loss stopped around 180 pounds when I added hard days and replaced my easy days with tempo rides.

You just need more easy miles below your aerobic threshold - the hardest you can go while still having a conversation, not breathing rhythmically, not feeling lactate, and can ride for 4-5 hours without an increase in Rated Perceived Exertion.

That can be combined with one or two really hard days a week past your anaerobic threshold to do even better over shorter distances than you could with a high-intensity plan.
Old 11-13-15, 04:08 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by jsigone
on average how munch time per week are you logging on the bike.
About 4 hours between my MTB and BMX sessions -- i also do about 1.5 hours per week (usually 30 minute workouts) on my Concept 2 (rowing machine) - Miles is hard to track because the MTB varies with the trails, and my BMX sessions are perhaps 7 or 8 laps of the track spread out over an hour -- basically an interval workout if you want to call it that

Gym work? -- not much -- i probably average 1 session with the weights every 2 weeks to be brutally honest
Old 11-13-15, 04:19 PM
yooperbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as a calorie burner, I don't think the BMX riding even counts. Not to say BMX isn't very physical, requiring strong sprint strength and excellent bike handling, but races are usually under 30 seconds aren't they?
Old 11-13-15, 04:31 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by yooperbiker
As far as a calorie burner, I don't think the BMX riding even counts. Not to say BMX isn't very physical, requiring strong sprint strength and excellent bike handling, but races are usually under 30 seconds aren't they?
Race length depends on the track and rider , --- but an interval session burns calories in theory . --- go with a starting heart rate of 120, then get it to 170 in a 40 second time period , --- wait for it to come back down to 115-120, then do it again

At my weight, for me to get a BMX up to 21-22mph takes a considerable amount of energy, -- but i have never tried to put a calorie counter on it, but i wear my HRM just about every ride
Old 11-14-15, 08:50 AM
yooperbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... go with a starting heart rate of 120, then get it to 170 in a 40 second time period , --- wait for it to come back down to 115-120, then do it again...
This type of workout is great for increasing your sprint strength, but not really doing much for weight loss. Read Drew's post above, he is spot on. For weight loss you need to be doing something like 2 to 3 hour rides at say an average HR of 120 or so. The lower intensity longer workouts will burn fat.
Old 11-14-15, 01:21 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by yooperbiker
This type of workout is great for increasing your sprint strength, but not really doing much for weight loss. Read Drew's post above, he is spot on. For weight loss you need to be doing something like 2 to 3 hour rides at say an average HR of 120 or so. The lower intensity longer workouts will burn fat.
I refuse to believe that shorter higher intensity rides do absolutely nothing. There are coaches who advocate short high intensity rides over 3 hour zone 1 and 2 slogs. There are plenty of big guys who can ride all day at a steady state 16 mph, but cant dial up a 25 mph sprint on flat ground if they were running from a bear

- The zone 1 and 2 sufferfest's can burn a higher % of fat, but a higher intensity ride burns more period with residual after effects for hours after the ride

But honestly, i'm not going to go on 50 mile rides at 120 heart rate ---- i'd much rather focus on nutrition right now
Old 11-18-15, 10:07 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A couple points.

5 lbs is within variation. Not saying that you have no reason to be concerned, but no reason to worry. The negative thoughts are self sabotaging as well.

Beer, look at the unique metabolic pathway, perfect for putting on VISCERAL fat.

Cardio style training has been shown to be great for health. Pretty much every bio-marker improves. However, only 2 styles have been shown to help with weight loss/ management.

HIT style intervals were most effective

long steady state, was also found effective. But long is LONG, greater then 4 hours.
Old 11-18-15, 10:45 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had been working really hard just trying to get in shape. Had alot of tough but fun rides planned and then =WHAM= got injuried and was unable to ride (actually do anything) for 5 months. During that time I gained a fair amount of weight. Just really sucks and got me down as I can't afford to gain; but what is my alternative? A friend teased me about going all the way; just sit on my arse and keep gaining - "go up to 500lbs! See how that feels!"...

Got the hint... ok so got back out there and started riding again. It's going slowly but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel... and hopefully I will be at my "fighting" weight again... it may take longer than I like, becuase of my lack of conditioning, but this beats the alternative!

Life is about alot of little offsets and backsteps... what makes us better and stronger is the method in which we deal with the problems. Yes stop the beer, yes keep riding... just keep going.

PS: Re the BMX riding... short intense burst of engery is anaerobic exercise... good for the development of muscle but not so good for cardio and conditioning or calorie burning. Probably not a bad idea to balance the intensity to build strength with the long, slow rides to develop cardio and burn calories...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 11-18-15 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-18-15, 11:32 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Jumped on the scale this morning after not being on it for 2 weeks, -- and the result -- 330. (Up from 325)
This is why daily weigh ins are such a good idea. A 5 lb variance is only a big deal is ift's a long term change. Given that it's normal for weight to vary 1-5 lbs per day even in individuals with carefully controlled inputs/outputs, the fact that two weight ins over a 2 week period were within 5 lbs of each other doesn't tell us much.

FWIW, I dropped 156 lbs over 2 years, and it was very common for me to plateau, or even appear to gain weight for days or weeks at a time before returning to the overall trend line. I've been in maintenance mode since 2013, and even with my best monitoring and discipline, my weight still fluctuates within a 5 lb window.

It's also worth noting that there are lots of things that can cause temporary weight gain:

1) hard exercise
2) increased sodium
3) infection
4) dehydration/overhydration
5) stress
6) injury
7) any change in diet
etc etc etc.

Keep in mind that at 325, a 5 lb gain or loss is only a 1.5% change. Stay the course, don't get distracted, and you'll get there.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-18-15, 11:54 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
---oops---

double post
Old 11-18-15, 11:59 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
remember you can hold up to 20 pounds of waste in your bowels. Also remember a five pound gain can just be muscle development, or you might be retaining water due to too much sodium.

Five pounds can happen for many reasons, but unless your clothes start shrinking I wouldn't worry about five pounds unless it is a five pound loss (then you can brag).
Old 11-19-15, 10:46 AM
VCSL2015

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Cardio is good.

Riding 5-6 days a week I dropped from over 205 to 135-137 pounds, 36" pants to 26" around measured with a tape measure, sweaty crease between man boobs and belly to abs, large to XS or XXS jerseys, XL to small shorts.

Without being hungry.

High intensity cardio is not good for weight loss leading to the aphorism "you can't loose weight during racing season"

While you burn more calories per hour, the share which are glycogen increase, and eventually the percent which are fat decrease. Hunger increases disproportionately to what you've spent with the result termed "runger" by runners.

My weight loss stopped around 180 pounds when I added hard days and replaced my easy days with tempo rides.

You just need more easy miles below your aerobic threshold - the hardest you can go while still having a conversation, not breathing rhythmically, not feeling lactate, and can ride for 4-5 hours without an increase in Rated Perceived Exertion.

That can be combined with one or two really hard days a week past your anaerobic threshold to do even better over shorter distances than you could with a high-intensity plan.
Sorry? Did you mention high/low carb diet? Besides beer, what else do you usually eat

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.