Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Saddle Bag?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Saddle Bag?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 03:01 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Any cheap $10 saddlebag is fine as long as the zipper functions fine and it has a strap for the seat rails and seat post. Think I have had the same cheap saddle bag for like 5 years now. Forgot the brand but it’s nothing fancy it does expand though which is nice
Old 07-01-19, 06:31 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Odd thread bump.

....but since it's re-animated, I love my Silca Premio seat roll. Moves quickly and easily from bike-to-bike, doesn't have a seat post strap to abrade my bib legs and it looks less dorky than many other options -

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-01-19, 08:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I simply have a handlebar bag on my Road bike ..

Tools & spare tube wrapped in a shop towel and a bright Orange found safety flag
secured with a toe strap worked well .. too ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-01-19 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 09:00 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Odd thread bump.

....but since it's re-animated, I love my Silca Premio seat roll. Moves quickly and easily from bike-to-bike, doesn't have a seat post strap to abrade my bib legs and it looks less dorky than many other options -

Those Silcas are nice. I replaced mine with the Silca Capsule.
Old 07-01-19, 01:19 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Anyone else using a ziplock bag and a toeclip strap?
Nope, but I've seen something like this in use many times:
Old 07-02-19, 01:46 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Still satisfied with a couple of Serfas Speed Bags after a couplafew years, one small, the other expandable medium. Just typical wedge bags, two saddle straps, one seat post strap.

But the Speed Bags are better organized than any other ballistic nylon wedge bag I've seen.
  • Decently roomy main pouch for tube(s), multitool, etc.
  • The medium includes a zippered expandable floor for extra snacks, USB battery/cable, etc.
  • There's a little pocket in the lid. I use it to hold a Lezyne glueless patch kit in a little envelope, a spare Missing Link, asthma pills for emergencies (ephedrine and guaifenesin).
  • A latched hook for keys (which I rarely use).
  • Inner pouch for tire wedges, zip ties and a couple of Mylar pouches of DripDrop or Propel electrolyte powders.
  • Inner elastic strap for... whatever. I tuck a couple of gels there.
  • Outer rear facing strap for my Cygolite Hotshots, which grip like eagle talons.
  • Good quality zippers and overall material and build.
  • Bright reflective strips.

Haven't found anything to complain about. The medium bag swings a bit but it's on my 30+ lb hybrid, and I often use a handlebar bag on that hybrid too, so the saddle bag weight isn't noticeable. Ditto the weight of the small Speed Bag on my 25+ lb steel road bike.

No point in my using smaller bags. I'd just end up stuffing more crap in my jersey pockets, then I'd "need" tighty cycling shorts with pockets, etc. If I can avoid it I'm not gonna call a cab or friend to bail me out 50 miles from home, so I carry whatever I might need.

But I'll probably try a rigid clamshell bag or minimalist Arundel or Lezyne bag for the carbon fiber bike, just to keep the weight down a bit and see if it makes any difference. So far the only difference I've found on the carbon bike is it's a little faster on climbs. But we don't have enough long climbs for it to matter much over a 20-50 mile ride.
Old 07-02-19, 09:04 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Odd thread bump.

Wow. I definitely like the look of this ^^. I'm not in need of a new saddle bag, but I could be convinced to change my current setup to this.
Old 07-02-19, 09:15 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Wow. I definitely like the look of this ^^. I'm not in need of a new saddle bag, but I could be convinced to change my current setup to this.
I've run in to one person that had one and preferred something else - the thing that he didn't like was that it took a little more time to get access to things. *shrug* I guess that I can see that, but I run tubeless, so I don't need to access it very often (I think that I've opened the thing on the road more often for my club mates than for myself). Anyway, I love the fact that it's easy to move from bike-to-bike, that it doesn't have a post strap that'll chafe and that it holds stuff securely - zero rattling around. Oh, and Boas are cool.
Old 07-03-19, 07:16 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Here is what I can get in my Topeak Micro 1/2 liter bag with a little bit of room left. The tube in the bag is 32mm.

I just recently considered getting a Scicon but they didn't have a size in this range I liked and for the smaller size Scicon but the connector seemed as big as the bag! The Topeak connector is quite light and has been completely reliable for me for many years riding over rough roads and trails.

Nice. I've been using a Topeak Micro Wedge for many years (same clip in) but its use of velcro to anchor it to the seatpost makes me nervous and I've been itching to eliminate that loop. (I've already trimmed it to have zero excess, but it's getting a bit worn and frayed now.) Velcro IMO just doesn't belong anywhere on a bike in any capacity as the hooks will destroy lycra in a heartbeat. The problem on my wedge bag is the post loop is needed or it gets very floppy. Did that model you use come without a post loop, or did you remove it yourself?
Old 07-04-19, 09:27 AM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Nice. I've been using a Topeak Micro Wedge for many years (same clip in) but its use of velcro to anchor it to the seatpost makes me nervous and I've been itching to eliminate that loop. (I've already trimmed it to have zero excess, but it's getting a bit worn and frayed now.) Velcro IMO just doesn't belong anywhere on a bike in any capacity as the hooks will destroy lycra in a heartbeat. The problem on my wedge bag is the post loop is needed or it gets very floppy. Did that model you use come without a post loop, or did you remove it yourself?
The model comes without a velcro loop and it does not flop around.
Cheers