Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Clunking under strain, pulsing when coasting...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 10:00 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I just got a cheap used Schwinn hybrid cruiser type bike. I'm going to dig into the rear hub first because of this issue, but I thought I'd ask for ideas here.

In my test riding I'm thinking the bike is making me work harder than I should be. I also notice two things, which might be related:

When I pedal hard I get a clunking clunking sound. Not sure where it's coming from. The bike has cheap 1-piece crank.

When I coast I feel a pulsing resistance -- which must be coming from the rear hub.

Both wheels spin freely.

I've had the 'clunk clunk' in a bike before but not in the last 10 yrs, etc., and I don't recall the cause/fix.

[UPDATE: It's a 6/7 spd derailler bike with caliper brakes.]

Last edited by JeffOYB; 09-29-19 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 10:07 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I concur with your rear hub hypothesis. Could be bearings, or a bent or broken axle. One key question: is the pulsing synched with the wheel rotation? If you find an isolated safe place and coast, does the pulse synch up with the inflation stem or a wheel decal or something to indicate wheel rotation?

What kind of gearing/brakes do you have? I guess if this is a coaster brake model it could be that the brake is morked up.
Old 09-29-19, 10:16 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Is this a derailleur bike or an internally geared hub? My first thought was a freewheel or freehub issue but if it is an internally geared hub, that could also be the issue.
Old 09-29-19, 11:36 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks. I updated the OP with the helpful info. It's a caliper bike with a rear derailler and 6/7 speed freewheel/cassette
Old 09-29-19, 11:51 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Remove the rear wheel and-
Rotate axle. Feel for roughness/sloppiness.
Ditto Free wheel.
Not sure why you haven't done something that simple yet. You have the bike.
Old 09-29-19, 03:16 PM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry for any confusion. I'm asking what people think BEFORE I get into the bike. That's all. It's possible there's a common known cause for clunking and pulsing. I've had it happen before but as i said i forget what it was. But yeah i'm getting into it today. we'll see!
Old 10-01-19, 02:46 PM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
well, i was out of town, visiting relatives. i checked out the rear hub. zero play, maybe a touch tight. I loosened the cones a smidge using tools from their garage. no bike tools available. not sure much improvement. i wasn't going to repack or anything. still, i wonder what is the common cause of clunk-clunk from rear hub under load. whups, i forgot to spin the freewheel or try to feel how that was behaving.

thankfully this is a utility bike that's only going to be used short distance on flat ground. it only clunked for me when straining hard up a hill.

i also felt some minor pulsing resistance from the front wheel when coasting.

i suppose both hubs need repacking?

well, i've left now. if the owner ever notices they can take it to a LBS and good luck to em! ... : )
Old 10-01-19, 03:05 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Pulsing resistance is also commonly caused by brakes rubbing a rim that is out of true. It could also be caused by the tire hitting the frame.

The clunk is quit likely the bearings in the bottom bracket. One piece BBs are easily serviceable with regular hand tools.
Old 10-01-19, 03:07 PM
JeffOYB

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
no brake strike

it's an internal resistance

as i posted i get a clunk clunk when pedaling hard then a pulse pulse when coasting -- which made me think maybe not in crank. but it could be. i never did check for tightness looseness grabbiness of crank -- rats. could've done that easily. oh well!