Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Riser bars or bar ends for more upright posture in old mtn bike commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 11-16-13, 06:09 PM
nonlinear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I use a 1999 trek 6000 for my short (15 min) daily commute. However, it has straight flat handlebars, and sometimes I feel like I'm bending over a bit too much. On longer rides, my hands also get tired of staying in the same position. I'm considering either a riser bar, bar ends, or both (?) to address these problems. Can you guys comment on those as solutions? Which would be better, and where would be a cheap place to get these parts? Need new handgrips too! This is just a durable commuter that gets locked, so I don't need anything fancy but it should be durable.

Thanks!
Old 11-16-13, 07:42 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bar ends would move your hands farther away from the brakes, which is a bad idea on a commuter bike. Can you get a taller stem?
Old 11-16-13, 07:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Bar ends are good for multiple hand positions, but when properly set up to provide them, they do not help you achieve a more upright posture; quite the opposite, in fact, since they stretch your reach and effectively lower your position.

Therefor, if you want to get more upright, you'll need to raise your bars. Risers will work somewhat, but it's probably just as easy and cheap to get a higher rise stem to replace your current one; you can probably get more height that way.

Try Nashbar.com for parts on the cheap.
Old 11-16-13, 08:17 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My vote is for a new stem as well.

As for the grips- Ergon GP-1. Come in different sizes and trigger or grip shift variants. I'm a bit biased, though, as I have a set that replaced the stock rubber grips that started falling apart after I cut them down in order to install bar ends.
Old 11-17-13, 12:26 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by no1mad
My vote is for a new stem as well.

As for the grips- Ergon GP-1. Come in different sizes and trigger or grip shift variants. I'm a bit biased, though, as I have a set that replaced the stock rubber grips that started falling apart after I cut them down in order to install bar ends.
I've been wanting to try those Ergons; maybe soon, as I'm scheduling the commuter for an overhaul late winter.
Old 11-17-13, 05:08 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would simply get some North Road handlebars
Old 11-17-13, 08:23 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Don't know where the o.p. is but I have risers aplenty to sell, swap or just swan off into that good night. The nicest riser bars I have (Truvativ) have Ergon GP3's still attached, along with Avid long pull brake levers. They are 31.8mm though. North Road bars don't come much more reasonable than the one's by Velo Orange. Not parting with those... yet.

H

P.S. The above notwithstanding, the real solution to the issues raised (nyuk) in the o.p. is drop bars. If you think you are bending over too much, you probably are not bending over enough. Eliminating potato chips and fast food can't hurt either...<running, ducking..>
Old 11-17-13, 11:24 AM
nonlinear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Don't know where the o.p. is but I have risers aplenty to sell, swap or just swan off into that good night. The nicest riser bars I have (Truvativ) have Ergon GP3's still attached, along with Avid long pull brake levers. They are 31.8mm though. North Road bars don't come much more reasonable than the one's by Velo Orange. Not parting with those... yet.

H

P.S. The above notwithstanding, the real solution to the issues raised (nyuk) in the o.p. is drop bars. If you think you are bending over too much, you probably are not bending over enough. Eliminating potato chips and fast food can't hurt either...<running, ducking..>
Hey I love potato chips as much as the next guy, but I'm actually very lean so that's not the problem. Why would you say I'm not bending over enough? It was so bad I was getting a tingly willy on longer rides (), I lowered my seat a bit and that helped but I still feel more comfortable sitting up a bit.
Old 11-18-13, 12:50 AM
Yip812

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I got these bars from amazon for $13. Makes for a much nicer ride.

They either went up in price, or I got the initial price wrong, they're $16

https://www.amazon.com/Wald-5-25-Inch...nch+riser+bars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20130901_173149.jpg (101.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Yip812; 11-18-13 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 11-18-13, 01:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by nonlinear
Hey I love potato chips as much as the next guy, but I'm actually very lean so that's not the problem. Why would you say I'm not bending over enough? It was so bad I was getting a tingly willy on longer rides (), I lowered my seat a bit and that helped but I still feel more comfortable sitting up a bit.
There is another thread, a poll actually, that breaks down the distribution of different kinds of handlebars in use by the forum at large. Personally I thought the percentage of flat/riser bar users would be much higher. I'm just one guy, my experiences don't count for much. But have a look at that poll. Now what do you think when a whole lot of guys think that drops on road bikes is a better way to go?

I'll save you some time and expense and tell you now that raising your bars will not provide as much relief as you hope. When you get into Dutch Workbike territory with the bars 6" higher than your saddle, maybe. But... are you going to change your saddle too? Probably not, but you should, you know. All of a sudden you are now putting your entire weight on a 145mm wide saddle. Is that a good idea? Since going to drops I am bent over without any tingles either below the waist or above. You have much more power to apply to the pedals. FWIW.

H
Old 11-18-13, 01:36 PM
erig007

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did both riser and adjustable stem 4 years ago. I'm still on them today and i'm pretty happy with my saddle on a more upright position . Medically speaking it is better to be more upright to put all the pressure on your sitbones. That's why 100% perineal pressure relieve medical saddles require from people to ride in a more upright position

Last edited by erig007; 11-18-13 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 02:07 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 225 Posts
If your riding style is upright, an adjustable stem ($27) riser bars ($19) and bar ends, I use the shorty style ($20)
should work fine. I have two bikes set up this now. My Raleigh MTB is shown.
The other is my Giant Cypress which has travelled 8000km (5000miles) with a similar setup.

I would love to actually have the "weight on the bars theory" verified some day. I don't think its as significant as most believe.

Attached Images
DSCF1258.jpg (96.6 KB, 14 views)
DSCF1255.jpg (95.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-18-13, 02:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I use Trekking bars , they are higher than my saddle. figure 8 bend in grip shift friendly 7/8" tube.

Ergons on my Brompton M3L.
Old 11-18-13, 02:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
I think with any upright bar (defined by having grips at the ends) is safe enough. I wouldn't worry about moving your hands to the brake levers to brake. I move my right foot to reach the brake in my car. It doesn't take too long.

While most of the advice above is probably all you need, it seems to me that you just might be able to put bar ends on backwards so they reach back. If you like that, then you could consider a North Road type of bend, which sweeps back towards you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-18-13, 04:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
There is another thread, a poll actually, that breaks down the distribution of different kinds of handlebars in use by the forum at large. Personally I thought the percentage of flat/riser bar users would be much higher. I'm just one guy, my experiences don't count for much. But have a look at that poll. Now what do you think when a whole lot of guys think that drops on road bikes is a better way to go?

I'll save you some time and expense and tell you now that raising your bars will not provide as much relief as you hope. When you get into Dutch Workbike territory with the bars 6" higher than your saddle, maybe. But... are you going to change your saddle too? Probably not, but you should, you know. All of a sudden you are now putting your entire weight on a 145mm wide saddle. Is that a good idea? Since going to drops I am bent over without any tingles either below the waist or above. You have much more power to apply to the pedals. FWIW.

H
That's laughable logic! Lots of people like some really dumb sh*t!
Old 11-18-13, 05:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Most of commutes, errands, and social functions are 15 min-25min rides, and my flatbar/bar end setup is awesome for that. I've ridden on 20 mile trips without problem, and would probably ride it any distance. Your experience may vary, but 15 minutes is brief enough that one could ride anything, I think.