Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Maximum Tire Size for LeMond Versailles WSD Bicycle

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 06:51 PM
OracleOCA

Bikes: LeMond Versailles WSD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The current size of my 2006 LeMond Versailles WSD tires is 23mm (700 x 23c) which is great for riding on the smooth roads only. I want to start riding on packed crushed gravel on the Missouri Katy Trail. Does anyone know what the maximum size I can use on this bike? I want to purchase either the Gator Skins or the Amardillos. I assume I can at least go to 25mm but can I go up to 28mm? What are your recommendations, please?

Thanks
Janie
Old 01-07-09, 07:12 PM
AsianCarbon
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25mm is a nice size. If they are really 25mm. Some manufactures vary. What rims?
Old 01-07-09, 07:17 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
25's. 28's are tight between the chainstays and darned near impossible to get to clear the calipers if you need to use the QR's.
Old 01-07-09, 07:35 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
I remember when trains used to run on the Katy Trail. Then they pulled the rails up and the farmers threatened to shoot "trespassers" as the land was supposed to revert back to them when the rail line failed.
Old 01-08-09, 05:47 AM
OracleOCA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I guess I will need to bring in my bike to a local shop and have them try different sizes. I at least want a 25mm with tread so I can ride the Katy Trail w/o flats and whatnot.
Old 01-08-09, 10:02 AM
AsianCarbon
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OracleOCA
Well, I guess I will need to bring in my bike to a local shop and have them try different sizes. I at least want a 25mm with tread so I can ride the Katy Trail w/o flats and whatnot.
Would you buy a new dress or shoes without trying them on?
Old 01-08-09, 11:15 AM
OracleOCA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was trying to to solicit some advice from you all instead of depending on a single local bike store. I like to do some background before I make a final decision.
Old 01-08-09, 11:58 AM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem of tire clearance is usually more of a problem in the front. On my 2006 Sarthe (if there is anything in common with your 2006 LeMond Versailles WSD) the front brake caliper is mounted such that the top inside of the calipers is higher than the top inside of the fork itself, meaning that the maximum tire clearance is dictated by the tire opening on the fork. I can comfortably fit a 25C tire (on a Bontrager Race Lite wheel) on the front. I have tried a 28C which, although it fit there was no working clearance (< 1mm).

On the rear I have an old 28C Conti cincher for use on the trainer and there is about 3mm clearance, so I would be happy using 28C on the rear on dry pavement.
Old 01-08-09, 12:38 PM
Treefox
Young and unconcerned

Bikes: Yeah, I got a few.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Separate from clearance issues, if you're out on gravel you might want cyclocross tyres rather than armadillos (which are just more puncture-resistant, rather than offroady).

But you'll likely have clearance issues...
Old 01-08-09, 12:55 PM
AsianCarbon
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OracleOCA
I was trying to to solicit some advice from you all instead of depending on a single local bike store. I like to do some background before I make a final decision.
Without knowing your rims, frame size, and a few other things, it will be tuff to give you definitive answer.
Old 09-21-09, 02:07 PM
damage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Works for me!

This thread is getting pretty old but I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone asks the same question in google or something.

I got tired of flats. So I threw on some Continental Gators 700x28C's on my 2006 Lemond Tourmalet 58cm frame and they fit fine. I would *guess* that it could go up to 32 but I haven't tried nor do I expect to.

The 28C's and tubes were purchased at Performance. REI and the three local, independent shops I tried a) had no 28s in stock, b) looked at me like I was crazy, and c) didn't offer to order for me.

Last edited by damage; 09-21-09 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo