Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks in the rain

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brooks in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 07:59 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brooks in the rain

Sorry if I missed previous posts but I did try to search and didnt find much.

I am about to buy a Brooks team professional but am a little concerned about its ability to handle rain. I like most of you guys ride regardless of conditions and am concerned about its ability to handle being ridden in wet weather. I have heard about covering the bottom in profide and I know about saddle covers but find it hard to imagine riding with a saddle cover being comfortable. I also am not sure about how bad it would be if I happen to get caught out in an unexpected rain storm. I am mostly concerned about rain while riding, I am lucky enough to be able to store my bike inside or under cover the majority of the time.

Id really appreciate your advice on how your brooks has handled rain and what you have done to make it handle rain better.

thanks
Old 03-09-09, 08:09 PM
4000Miles
for affordable housing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use my Brooks on my commuter and will be using it on a long sagged tour this summer (see sig). So far, I've found that just covering it with a plastic shopping bag works fine for keeping the rain out while it's parked and for riding in the rain. I don't even notice it while I'm riding with the shopping bag on, but I also wear jeans while commuting, so you'll have to judge for yourself. I find that keeping the bag stuffed under the seat inside the rails helps to keep spray off the bottom when it isn't raining but the ground is still wet.
Old 03-09-09, 08:16 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
My Brooks survived this ... https://www.machka.net/brevet/2005_600.htm with no ill effects.

And this: https://www.machka.net/1000/1000km.htm
And this: https://www.machka.net/australia/oct26.htm
And numerous other rides in the rain over the past 5 years.

I have a plastic grocery bag tucked in the rails when I ride, and I put it over the saddle on rainy days, when I park the bicycle.
Old 03-09-09, 08:30 PM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A simple plastic bag is the answer. I find the ones from bookstores to be a little bit heavier, and longer lasting. Just ball it up, push it up between the seat rails, and it will be there for even a biblical downpour.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 03-09-09, 08:43 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a bit pickier, and bought a saddle cover as an add-on while ordering some other stuff. It works quite well, I don't find it uncomfortable. This one in particular is by Brooks and fits the saddle well, there is an elastic along the perimeter that holds it on pretty tight.

The bags work quite fine too.
Old 03-09-09, 08:50 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
When I'm riding my bike my butt is on the saddle; that seems to do a nice job of keeping the water off.

When I'm not riding the bike I try not to let the saddle get drenched. If I have to leave the bike out for any length of time I put a plastic bag over it.*

*A park near my house has little plastic dog poop bags in a dispenser. Those bags are the perfect size for a Brooks saddle. I highly recommend them.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 03-10-09 at 01:02 AM.
Old 03-09-09, 09:06 PM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
My Brooks survived this ... https://www.machka.net/brevet/2005_600.htm with no ill effects.

And this: https://www.machka.net/1000/1000km.htm
And this: https://www.machka.net/australia/oct26.htm
And numerous other rides in the rain over the past 5 years.

I have a plastic grocery bag tucked in the rails when I ride, and I put it over the saddle on rainy days, when I park the bicycle.
hmmm... I guess you just put all my fears to rest about using a brooks in bad weather. I bet your pretty hard on equipment as well Machka. btw, always liked your site. It is one of the reason I am going to do my first couple randonee's this year.

Thanks for the tips everyone, the brooks will be on the way tommorow now!!
Old 03-09-09, 09:14 PM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have ridden for days in the rain with no apparent effect on a B17.

When my bike is left outside and it's raining I put a shower cap over the saddle, the clear plastic type with an elastic around the edge that you get free in motels. They weigh almost nothing and I've used the same one for up to 2 weeks.
Old 03-09-09, 10:51 PM
mudmouse

Bikes: Trek Pilot, X-Caliber WSD, Rockhopper, Allez vita, miyata triplecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, shower cap or plastic bag when off the bike. Tuck it in the rails when riding. Works great. I ride in the PNW so lots of rain.

kari
Old 03-10-09, 12:20 AM
juggleaddict

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol, everybody seems to say the same thing,

ok, well while i would use the bag, haven't yet, only had the saddle for 3 months and have been graced by no rain when i ride

but, the particular brooks you're looking at (team professional) is the same model i have, and from what i've read about it, it is the "thickest" and toughest saddle they make, and takes the longest to break in. . . but this is just what i've read. to be honest, this is my first, and after about 300 miles, it's a DARN fine saddle, that may end up on the LHT when i get it, unless i get a B17 like the rest of the croud

in any case, if this is true, even if you are stuck without a bag, if it doesn't affect the B17, i would think it wouldn't affect the professional

WHILE I'M HERE::: the professional is made for riding with the handlebars lower than the seat or at the same level. on an LHT, do you think a B17 would be more comfortable in the long run? (seeing that the handlebars will be higher than the saddle) or just use the one i have?
Old 03-10-09, 12:21 AM
juggleaddict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dangit, i spelled crowd wrong :'(
Old 03-10-09, 12:41 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
brooks in the rain...

I cover mine at night on tour. you don't want to ride them when soaked or they will stretch a bit more than you want them to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brooksrainy.jpg (64.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-10-09, 04:35 AM
grinningfool
Senior Moment

Bikes: 2014 Surly LHT, 2003 Giant NRS 3, 1991 Trek 700, 2006 Cannondale Six 13 Team, 1985 Miyata 210

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Use snow seal on the bottom of the saddle to protect it from tire spray.
Old 03-10-09, 05:49 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Apply Proofide to the bottom of the saddle as well as the top. Don't tension your saddle when it is wet! (Unless you want to ruin it.)
Old 03-10-09, 06:04 AM
xilios

Bikes: Gazelle Playa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shower cap here also, over the saddle every night and over the helmet in the rain
Old 03-10-09, 06:11 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
[QUOTE=juggleaddict;8501546].......................
but, the particular brooks you're looking at (team professional) is the same model i have, and from what i've read about it, it is the "thickest" and toughest saddle they make, and takes the longest to break in. . . but this is just what i've read. to be honest, this is my first, and after about 300 miles, it's a DARN fine saddle, that may end up on the LHT when i get it, unless i get a B17 like the rest of the croud

The butt leather used in the Pro is thicker than the B17 but not as thick as the Colt model. Both take longer to break-in because of this.

WHILE I'M HERE::: the professional is made for riding with the handlebars lower than the seat or at the same level. on an LHT, do you think a B17 would be more comfortable in the long run? (seeing that the handlebars will be higher than the saddle) or just use the one i have?
Experience tells me that the Pro is better used in a more "racing" position and the B17 is more suitable for more upright positioning. Why would you want the bars higher than the saddle on the LHT? after all they don't have to be and it does place more weight on your backside. Why not the more usual touring position with the bars and saddle at the same height.

Old 03-10-09, 08:07 AM
juggleaddict

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onbike 1939

Experience tells me that the Pro is better used in a more "racing" position and the B17 is more suitable for more upright positioning. Why would you want the bars higher than the saddle on the LHT? after all they don't have to be and it does place more weight on your backside. Why not the more usual touring position with the bars and saddle at the same height.
that's what i thought n.n', which means i'll probably end up with a B17, but i've heard of people using a pro for touring before. and true enough on positioning, to be honest i've only hopped on a touring bike that actually fit me once, and it was the safari, so i haven't really felt what it's like to be on a "classic" touring bike. but i had simply assumed the handlebars would be higher. the hoods on my road bike now are level with the seat, but the bike is one size too big. the pro does seem much more comfy when i'm in the drops. but this could be a mind game. . . besides. . . perhaps i couldn't bring myself to take the saddle off my roadie O:-)
Old 03-10-09, 08:51 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mudmouse
Yep, shower cap or plastic bag when off the bike. Tuck it in the rails when riding. Works great. I ride in the PNW so lots of rain.

kari
Off topic but cute bird, kari.
Old 03-10-09, 09:29 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Best protection for the bottom of the saddle when riding in the rain, in addition to a bag stuffed under the rails or snoseal, are FENDERS!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-10-09, 09:36 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Best protection for the bottom of the saddle when riding in the rain, in addition to a bag stuffed under the rails or snoseal, are FENDERS!
Yep. Fenders, snowseal, plastic bag on bottom, butt on top.
Old 03-10-09, 10:04 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A saddle bag also helps shield the bottom of the saddle from road spray.
Old 03-10-09, 12:03 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
The butt leather used in the Pro is thicker than the B17 but not as thick as the Colt model. Both take longer to break-in because of this.
Where does this information come from? I know it is common knowledge on the forums, but it's not in any Brooks publication I have ever seen.
Old 03-10-09, 12:19 PM
Butterthebean
1 bike 2 many.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used the Brooks cover which has a very snug fit. I've ridden with it on the saddle and you don't even know it's there.

I also have to second what Chipcom said....fenders keep alot of water off the bike...especially the underside of the saddle.
Old 03-10-09, 05:32 PM
nubcake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually dont have fenders yet but I do have a rack that does a good job keeping water from flinging off the back wheel. After thinking way to hard on which brooks to go with I decided on impulse at the last second to go with the b17 narrow and a jannd seat cover (brooks covers are only sold in boxes of 8 or 10 through qbp) so ill keep that tucked under the saddle until I need it, which should be soon cause they are calling for rain every day for the next week...

On the team pro being the thickest leather, I didnt see it from brooks anywhere but quality does mention the thing about the thicker leather in their description.

thanks again for the re-assurance everyone
Old 03-10-09, 06:49 PM
Randochap
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Brooks saddle cover which velcros under the rails, but used a shopping bag for years. I have a 32 y/o Pro that's seen plenty of rainy rides. It goes without saying that you should have fenders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.