Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Utility Bicycle Trains

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Utility Bicycle Trains

Old 08-02-12, 08:46 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Utility Bicycle Trains

Hay, Utility Cycling group!

I have seen families riding on the parkways in Ottawa with a tandem, trail-a-bike, and kid trailer, and I think that is about the coolest human powered train I have seen.

What is the longest practical train any of you have put together? Tandem + freeradical + kid trailer + cargo trailer? Is this type of thing possible? I know the Xtracycle design presetns challengest for towing a trailer.

Has anyone ever added a freeradical conversion to a Big Dummy frame? Seems like a silly question now that I see it typed out, but somebody must have tried it.

I guess what I am asking here is “how long is too long?”
Old 08-02-12, 07:36 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When my kids were younger I spent a fair bit of time with a tandem, trailerbike, kid trailer setup. I can assure you that is about as much rig as I care to handle. One of the things that made tight areas challenging was it was the widest part (trailer) was at the far back end.
Old 08-03-12, 07:15 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply.

Did you mainly pull the train on recreational trails or on roads? I would guess backing up is the biggest hurdle - if you overshoot your destination you might have to go around the block and try again

What sort of brakes did you have and was going down a hill kinda scary?
Old 08-03-12, 08:25 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
The Xtra has no trailer towing challenges if it attaches to the rear axle. Been towing an InStep double trailer for over two years with my Xtra with no issues.

The longest train we've used was before the Freeradical was mounted on my wife's bike. Our youngest son had a trailGator on his 20" bmx bike. SO it went wife's bike, son on bmx bike and trailer in back. My wife said it was a workout pulling all that weight, but mostly just taking off; once she got rolling it wasnt as bad.

The longest train I could possible build now (although it wouldnt be practical inthe least): my Xtra+wife's Xtra+my old mtn+bmx (if I used the trailgator)+trailer. It'd probably be 100' long and impossible to ride, but it'd make for an interesting photo shot.
Old 08-03-12, 08:36 PM
labrat

Bikes: Bianchi Road bike, Nashbar Ultegra triple cyclocross, Raleigh full XT hybrid, lugged steel Schwinn, Full rigid Diamondback MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We used our tandem, trailerbike, trailer train on the roads and the local bike trails. Backing up was not an option so a little advanced planning went a long way. The tandem ran a 28/38/48 with an 11-34. It was pretty easy to get rolling as long as it was in the 28/24 or better when stopped (more planning ahead.)

I'd occasionally pull the trailerbike and trailer behind a single bike but preferred the braking of the tandem. The tandem had a cheapie set of v-brakes but had enough weight on the wheels that the extra weight of the train wasn't as noticable. It did really good on even steep hills but we don't have anything remotely like mountains here so I couldn't tell you how it would do on a long descent.
Old 08-03-12, 11:07 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Portland has big bike trains to school all the time, but I don't think utility cycles are used much for that.
Old 08-04-12, 05:55 PM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I saw a guy on a standard bike hauling 3 burley trailers. First 2 had kids in them, 3rd had all the picnic supplies. They were turning into the local lake/swimming hole.
Old 08-11-12, 08:06 PM
Fasteryoufool

Bikes: 2016 Giant Escape, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion Sport DLX, Trek 420, Schwinn Sierra, Schwinn Hurricane

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With my old Schwinn Sierra, I've pulled my youngest on an Adams Trail-A-Bike with my cargo trailer behind that, had no issues at all. The evil ex thought it was "dangerous" and "stupid" but then, she drives everywhere.
Old 08-15-12, 06:08 AM
dayworks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done the Road-train thing. As noted earlier they're awkward and they would only be more so if they got longer. I imagine there utility would be like the real road trains in Australia - if you have a long straight stretch it would be worth it. At the very least you'd need to know your route very well.
Old 08-15-12, 11:56 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Hardtail pulling a BAW64A pulling a kid trailer. This is my preferred set-up and have probably ridden 15 miles this way. One time, I had ~500 pounds on both trailers, for about 12 miles round-trip.

Raleigh 20 pulling a trail-a-bike pulling a second trail-a-bike (didn't work too well).

Hardtail pulling a trail-a-bike pulling a kid trailer.

Hardtail pulling the BAW 64A with a kid bike attached and rolling on the back end.

I guess the most I've ever had was 3 items in the train.

The hardest, by far, however, was riding tight, technical single track on my MTB pulling a trail-a-bike.
Old 08-18-12, 08:33 AM
maximumrob

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 (hot roddin') and a Scott SUB40 (commuter/tow-truck)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tow my kiddos on a Weehoo with a double-wide trailer behind it. I run 37c slicks so we have plenty of braking power (most important when approaching intersections) and flags and blinkies, but not to the absurd.

Besides braking, the only other safety concern on my mind is the seat post or frame giving way on my bike due to the stresses of pulling/stopping so much weight just above the seat stay.

The kids love it and used to regularly yell, "Daddy go 20!" Now that they're older and had a taste of more speed, they yell, "Daddy go 30!" ...like that's easy or something!
Old 09-02-12, 08:33 PM
salek

Bikes: 1984 Takara 490 Challenge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When they were the appropriate ages, my daughter was on a semi-bike attached to my touring rig, and my son was in a Winchester attached to the semi-bike. Scott Peterson "assisted" brakes. 22/45/52 against a 13/28. The semi-bike was a three speed and she used them. So we were an articulated, three wheeled tandem towing a trailer.