Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Used NJS parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 11:12 AM
chased

Bikes: otobecane Mirage Road, Schwinn Sprint Fixed Gear, Panasonic Track Bike, Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Used NJS parts

There is a ton of used NJS parts (including Duraace and Sugino) - cranks, BB, handlebars, hubs, etc for drastically lower prices than new. What is the thought about buying them? Do they wear out that fast?
Old 08-22-16, 01:58 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
NJS stuff is usually good to high quality when new, even if it is technically inferior to modern equipment. For example, Nitto B123 steel drop bars are high quality steel bars with regards to fit, finish, uniformity, etc... They are still technically inferior to modern carbon sprint bars like the 3T Scatto, Alpina Sprint bars, or even the older Easton EC90s which are considered carbon remakes of the B123. NJS B123 doesn't even use a modern 31.8mm clamp area. It uses 25.4mm.

Another example would be to compare NJS pedals with modern clipless pedals.

Think of NJS as a quality control stamp as well as a "restrictor plate" maximum tech ceiling to avoid any athlete from buying a competitive advantage. NJS is the IROC of track cycling, where everyone drives the same car with the same specs.

Drivers raced identically-prepared stock cars set up by a single team of mechanics in an effort to make the race purely a test of driver ability.
Used NJS stuff is sort of buyer beware. I think it's true that gently used NJS stuff can be discarded because it wouldn't pass inspection. For example, if a frame has a small dent in it, it would not pass even though it doesn't affect performance in any way.

On the other hand, if it's something that's been beat to hell for one reason on another by a really strong athlete, it may not be worth it. For example, if some really strong guy uses some pedals for a season and the axles are slightly off-center due to hundreds of 2,000W standing starts. It would suck to ride those, even if they were free.

So, the short answer is: It depends.

Personally, I'd probably pass on anything but handlebars. I'd even pass on the chains.
Old 08-22-16, 05:26 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I'm a self confessed Shimano fanboy. I've had great experiences with ebay seller Phil_the_power_taylor. I've purchased a number of chainrings and cogs from him. As far as the chainrings go there are 3 price points. Lightly used, used, and well used. I went for the lightly used and the 55t I got looked like it hadn't even seen a chain! Price was less than half the retail on new! Back in Jan I bought some 165 Shimano cranks from NJS Export that were about 1mm out of true. Still good enough for my use at $220 when even second hand local stuff is up around $250-300. Bargains on used stuff are bargains for a reason, so don't expect stuff to be mint. Also be aware of how those keirin boys ride. They don't wear padding for no reason. That can translate to some serious abuse copped by bits like pedals, handlebars and frames!
Old 08-22-16, 07:44 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As an alternative, check out Evans Cycles. They have been my source for most of my Shimano track parts.
Old 08-25-16, 09:12 AM
chased

Bikes: otobecane Mirage Road, Schwinn Sprint Fixed Gear, Panasonic Track Bike, Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
I'm a self confessed Shimano fanboy. I've had great experiences with ebay seller Phil_the_power_taylor. I've purchased a number of chainrings and cogs from him. As far as the chainrings go there are 3 price points. Lightly used, used, and well used. I went for the lightly used and the 55t I got looked like it hadn't even seen a chain! Price was less than half the retail on new! Back in Jan I bought some 165 Shimano cranks from NJS Export that were about 1mm out of true. Still good enough for my use at $220 when even second hand local stuff is up around $250-300. Bargains on used stuff are bargains for a reason, so don't expect stuff to be mint. Also be aware of how those keirin boys ride. They don't wear padding for no reason. That can translate to some serious abuse copped by bits like pedals, handlebars and frames!
This is kinda what I have been thinking and have seen Phil's listings. The prices are outrageously better than buying new. The alternative would be to buy something lower end versus the dura ace njs used stuff. I'm mostly thinking crank, chainrings, and potentially BB and hubs. I feel like I can build a pretty high end bike for not much $ using these parts.

Carlton, I am well aware of what NJS means and the abuse some of the bikes take.

Thanks
Old 08-25-16, 11:48 AM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question on bars

What is your thought on use nitto bars with shims while using a OS stem?

Originally Posted by carleton
NJS stuff is usually good to high quality when new, even if it is technically inferior to modern equipment. For example, Nitto B123 steel drop bars are high quality steel bars with regards to fit, finish, uniformity, etc... They are still technically inferior to modern carbon sprint bars like the 3T Scatto, Alpina Sprint bars, or even the older Easton EC90s which are considered carbon remakes of the B123. NJS B123 doesn't even use a modern 31.8mm clamp area. It uses 25.4mm.

Think of NJS as a quality control stamp as well as a "restrictor plate" maximum tech ceiling to avoid any athlete from buying a competitive advantage. NJS is the IROC of track cycling, where everyone drives the same car with the same specs.

Used NJS stuff is sort of buyer beware. I think it's true that gently used NJS stuff can be discarded because it wouldn't pass inspection. For example, if a frame has a small dent in it, it would not pass even though it doesn't affect performance in any way.

On the other hand, if it's something that's been beat to hell for one reason on another by a really strong athlete, it may not be worth it. For example, if some really strong guy uses some pedals for a season and the axles are slightly off-center due to hundreds of 2,000W standing starts. It would suck to ride those, even if they were free.

Personally, I'd probably pass on anything but handlebars. I'd even pass on the chains.
Old 08-25-16, 12:01 PM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Not the Slowest
What is your thought on use nitto bars with shims while using a OS stem?
My first choice would be to get the proper stem. Failing that, a shim will work.

+1 on Phil_the_power_taylor. I got some chain rings from him that look like new for less than half the cost of new.

Paul
Old 08-25-16, 04:12 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think 8pilgrim8 has the best price for NJS parts. I ordered some handlebars from him.

And I personally recommend buying used steel handlebar(good condition) only for used njs parts.

Last edited by gycho77; 08-25-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 05:19 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by chased
This is kinda what I have been thinking and have seen Phil's listings. The prices are outrageously better than buying new. The alternative would be to buy something lower end versus the dura ace njs used stuff. I'm mostly thinking crank, chainrings, and potentially BB and hubs. I feel like I can build a pretty high end bike for not much $ using these parts.

Carlton, I am well aware of what NJS means and the abuse some of the bikes take.

Thanks
Something that was pointed out to me was that the likes of Dura Ace and Sugino use a much harder alloy than some of the lower but still high end chainrings like FSA. In the end, it all comes down to what you can spend, but the used DA chainrings were cheaper than FSA new for me. As for BB, I would personally buy those new. I have sold a used BB with my original set of 170mm cranks, but I would buy new myself. That is a part of the drivetrain that is under a huge amount of stress, and I think in the long run it can be cheaper to have the extended lifecycle of a new BB. A used one, you just don't know what kind of life it has had, and consequently how much life is left.

Also check @dunderhi recommendation of Evans Cycles. The prices from them, at least from my Australian POV are not much higher than the high end used NJS stuff. Availability of the particular part you need has been my issue in the past. Funnily enough, I only last week purchased some Vittoria Evo CL tubs from Evans to replace my Corsa CX tubs as I find myself doing most of my racing on boards these days.
Old 08-26-16, 08:51 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
I think there's a misunderstanding of the real purpose of NJS certification. Keirin racers in Japan are required to use NJS components and frames and it served multiple purposes. 1) It insured a certain standard for equipment in terms of quality and equality of equipment. 2) It's most important function was as a protectionist set of regulations (along with JIS standards)aimed at rebuilding Japanese manufacturing post war. I'm pretty sure at one point Campagnolo actually produced some NJS parts but they found the certification process prohibitively expensive, convoluted, and rigged against them.

Used NJS parts are no more beat to hell than any other track parts. Many amateurs in Japan use NJS parts, and Keirin pros are notorious for replacing frames and parts just because the frame is "unlucky" or it's become "soft". In competition, any crash which produces even cosmetic damage will necessitate the replacement of NJS parts. So it's really a "buyer beware" as with any used parts. That being said, maybe the market amongst the fixie crowd is driving the sale of parts that have been beat to hell.
Old 08-26-16, 09:05 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
If these used NJS parts are truly straight form the pros, they are generally very gently used and nearly new. Especially in the case of chainrings, which I would not hesitate to use. If they've been making the "fixie" rounds, all bets are off.
Old 09-02-16, 04:27 PM
Not the Slowest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NJS Alum bars vs NJS Steel, new or used

What about Nitto NJS B125 Aluminum bars vs Steel?
Is there a flex issue? I was thinking of playing with them for a fit and see how they feel project.
before I laid out money on Scattos.
NJS stuff is usually good to high quality when new, even if it is ?
for a technically inferior to modern equipment. For example, Nitto B123 steel drop bars are high quality steel bars with regards to fit, finish, uniformity, etc... They are still technically inferior to modern carbon sprint bars like the 3T Scatto, Alpina Sprint bars, or even the older Easton EC90s which are considered carbon remakes of the B123. NJS B123 doesn't even use a modern 31.8mm clamp area. It uses 25.4mm.

Old 09-02-16, 05:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
No, flex isn't an issue. I used aluminum Nitto B125AA and loved them. They are as light as carbon bars, too. Highly recommend them.
Old 09-03-16, 07:19 PM
Not the Slowest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noted

No, flex isn't an issue. I used aluminum Nitto B125AA and loved them. They are as light as carbon bars, too. Highly recommend them.
Old 09-03-16, 07:55 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
The difference in flex between steel and aluminum Nitto's is small, but if your front end is really stiff, you'll notice it. I did. The aluminum bars will bend before the steel ones do, as well as being prone to scratches/gouges which the steel ones can resist a lot better.