Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Breitie

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 08:42 PM
Breitie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Breitie

I have a 5-spd hub and have adjusted the gears according to the instructions that came with it, ie: the blue marking on the adjuster chain just peeking out of the axle when in 2nd gear. That worked fine for while but since then the gears are continually out of whack with missed gears etc. Every time I ride I have to 'tweak' the adjustment but never seem to get it quite right.
Actually, I am sorry that I went for the 5-spd and not the 3-spd because of these constant problems. Also, when the hub is working, there is no discernible difference between 2nd and 3rd gears.
What am I doing wrong? I would welcome any suggestions.

Last edited by Breitie; 11-08-17 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 09:00 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
What is the model number on the hub shell? is it something like XRF5, and if so, is there a w after the number?
The w is the wide range model, and the indicator with the blue mark is for use with the short guide nut only. If you have the standard guide nut, or the roller in place of it, you require the indicator with a yellow mark. Adjusting to the mark on the wrong indicator would lead to poor functioning.
Old 11-08-17, 03:37 PM
Breitie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you Dan of Oakville, Ontario (wow, that is far away as I am in Brisbane, Australia) for your kind advice - my Hub is a SRC5 (W) 5-speed. The indicator rod/chain has a blue mark and came supplied with the hub, as did the guide nut (with viewing holes) so must be the correct ones.
Disregarding the blue mark, is there a 'trial-and-error' method to achieve the correct setting? I find that if I get 2nd and 3rd gear right, then 4th and 5th don't engage properly.
Old 11-08-17, 06:35 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Breitie
Thank you Dan of Oakville, Ontario (wow, that is far away as I am in Brisbane, Australia) for your kind advice - my Hub is a SRC5 (W) 5-speed. The indicator rod/chain has a blue mark and came supplied with the hub, as did the guide nut (with viewing holes) so must be the correct ones.
Disregarding the blue mark, is there a 'trial-and-error' method to achieve the correct setting? I find that if I get 2nd and 3rd gear right, then 4th and 5th don't engage properly.
It has been my experience, having installed a fair number of these hubs, that the wide range model is much more finicky to get and keep adjusted properly than it's predecessor was. In a lot of cases, the sliding key that engages the sun gears is inhibited from free movement by lack of lubrication. I have been able to improve the shifting performance on these hubs by removing the indicator spindle and dribbling some light oil down into the mechanism. I have a supply of #80 neutral base oil which is what I use, but any light non vegetable based oil will do.
They generally improve with use as the sliding key wears in and moves more freely.
I have found that sometimes you do have to tweak the adjustment off the indicator mark to get it to act right.
Old 11-08-17, 07:44 PM
Breitie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once again, thanks Dan for this valuable advice. 'Finicky' and constant 'tweaking' and adjusting certainly apply. Temperature also plays a role because once the hub is warmed up it works better, and then, the next morning, it is uncooperative once again. I have previously dribbled light oil into the spindle hole, by laying the bike on its side, because I had the impression that the gears and bits were sticking and not moving as they should. So far that has not made much of a difference. I also suspected that some spring inside the hub was not doing its job, because often, after engaging a gear nothing would happen, and then, a while later, the selected gear ratio would finally engage. I accept your 'diagnosis' that perhaps parts are sticky and need to 'run in' with use. Will see what happens.

Last edited by Breitie; 11-08-17 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-08-17, 08:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...if the problem is, indeed, that your hub is a little sticky and the indicator rod is hanging up on its travel, you can often adjust for this by overshifting when you change gears, and entering into your preferred gear in the pulling mode, rather than in the releasing mode.

I know it's not how the hub is supposed to work, but it often makes the shift more positive and prevents engaging in a neutral position, which can be distressing.
Old 11-09-17, 04:51 PM
Breitie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, 3alarmer from 'The Big Tomato' - don't know where that is but we have a Big Pineapple and a Big Prawn and lots of other 'Big' things down here - anyway, I will try what you suggest. Incidentally, since doing a bit of research on Sturmey Archer Hubs I have come across oodles of websites, mostly cycle related, with lots and lots of comment and useful information. Am becoming quite the 'expert' by now! One thing is certain however, and that is that 5spd hubs are a bugger to adjust properly.
Old 11-09-17, 05:01 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Breitie
Thank you, 3alarmer from 'The Big Tomato' - don't know where that is but we have a Big Pineapple and a Big Prawn and lots of other 'Big' things down here - anyway, I will try what you suggest. Incidentally, since doing a bit of research on Sturmey Archer Hubs I have come across oodles of websites, mostly cycle related, with lots and lots of comment and useful information. Am becoming quite the 'expert' by now! One thing is certain however, and that is that 5spd hubs are a bugger to adjust properly.
...the one site I always look at is Hubstripping.
Old 11-14-17, 10:56 PM
Breitie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am very happy to report that, in desperation after none of the things I tried and that were suggested here improved the shifting performance of my 5spd hub, I lay the bike on its side and dribbled a good helping of that magic fluid called WD40 into the hub axle, and hey presto, for the first time in over a year the hub is working as it should. Is that magic or what! This is a variation of the 'lubrication' suggested above by the good Dan Burkhart.
I had initially used ordinary oil but that did not cure the problem.