Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Shingles!!

Old 12-04-17, 12:57 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Try gabapentin/Neurontin, if she hasn't already, or consider asking to increase the dosage. It's very effective with neuropathic pain in some folks, and appears to be quite safe for most patients.
My mom got shingles a few years before she passed away - it would have been in 2012, so she was 87 when she got it. A lot of pain, and unfortunately, the gabapentin made her lose her hearing within a few weeks of starting it, which had been very good until then. She ended up with hearing aids, which helped, but it wasn't the same. Eventually, they put her on Lyrica. Neither the gabapentin or the lyric gave her very good pain control, alas.

Just something to check with your doctor about - hearing loss is, I understand, a pretty common side effect of gabapentin, especially in patients 70 and over.
Old 12-04-17, 01:01 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Here is another PSA (info from my doc):

My understanding is that until recently, the shingles vaccine was not terribly effective. Perhaps only 60%. My uncle had the vaccine and STILL got shingles. So don't kick yourself too hard for not getting it. It may have not made a difference.

There is a new vaccine that has just become available. It is in the order of 80-90% effective.

So if you eschewed the vaccine before because of ineffectiveness, this may be your time.

I had shingles when I was about 27 years old and it SUCKED. I intend to get the new vaccine.

Thanks from me, too, I was planning on getting the shingles vaccine when I turned 60 - I researched it and found it wasn't that effective if given earlier. This new vaccine sounds really promising, and I will definitely get it as soon as it's available.

Seeing the pain, hearing loss, and general suffering my mother went through when shingles hit her at age 87, almost 88 actually, even if I had to pay $1000 out of pocket for the new vaccine (I have no idea what it costs, I haven't found anyone near me that actually offers it yet, nor any cost estimates), it would be well worth it. My mom had the rash/blisters/scabs for at least 6-8 months, and still had shingles pain when she died, 3 years laster.
Old 12-04-17, 04:53 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Thanks from me, too, I was planning on getting the shingles vaccine when I turned 60 - I researched it and found it wasn't that effective if given earlier. This new vaccine sounds really promising, and I will definitely get it as soon as it's available.

Seeing the pain, hearing loss, and general suffering my mother went through when shingles hit her at age 87, almost 88 actually, even if I had to pay $1000 out of pocket for the new vaccine (I have no idea what it costs, I haven't found anyone near me that actually offers it yet, nor any cost estimates), it would be well worth it.

I got my shot of the old version last year at age 57 - doctor and insurance company both recommended it.
Doctor billed $380 and insurance paid the contracted $204 and my copay/deductible was zero - besides for the office visit.
My doctor was actually arrested (!) last year and I don't have a new one yet... I'll probably be ready for a physical about the same time the new vaccine is available, and that'll be a good time to meet a new doctor.
Old 12-04-17, 07:48 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
It's not just a "old" persons disease, my son (26) got it and it was in his eye. After a few months and many visits to the eye doctor, it went away.
I was at a local tavern talking with 3 other people. The topic got onto shingles. All 3 said they had gotten shingles in their 30's. I got the vaccine.
Old 12-04-17, 08:09 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
If it's not proven by a clinical trial, it's intrigue and nothing more.
It sounds like you'd rather have someone else doing the thinking for you,
instead of doing the research yourself.
Old 12-04-17, 08:43 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
It sounds like you'd rather have someone else doing the thinking for you,
instead of doing the research yourself.
By research do you mean run your own clinical trial with thousands of subjects? Or do you mean just using google?
Old 12-05-17, 08:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
By research do you mean run your own clinical trial with thousands of subjects? Or do you mean just using google?

Oh, you mean like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
il_570xN_1031485893_1to9.jpg (42.9 KB, 420 views)
Old 12-05-17, 12:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
...the gabapentin made her lose her hearing within a few weeks of starting it, which had been very good until then. She ended up with hearing aids, which helped, but it wasn't the same. Eventually, they put her on Lyrica. Neither the gabapentin or the lyric gave her very good pain control, alas.

Just something to check with your doctor about - hearing loss is, I understand, a pretty common side effect of gabapentin, especially in patients 70 and over.
Hearing loss isn't generally associated with gabapentin. There are a handful of documented cases of hearing impairment but those were associated with other complications such as renal failure.

I wouldn't be concerned about hearing loss as a significant risk with gabapentin. While gabapentin is one of those mystery meds that aren't yet fully understood, the benefits far outweigh the risks for some folks, including a friend with traumatic brain injury, and my mom as an adjunct therapy for her moderate dementia (along with Namenda, Aricept and others). It's comparable to discovering that migraines could also be relieved or minimized using beta blockers, anti-convulsants and meds like valproic acid normally used to treat bipolar disorder.

More than likely the main reason why some drugs may be associated with hearing loss in older patients is because... we're getting older. I've experienced significant hearing loss in my left ear over the past few years. I don't take any daily prescription drugs, and use muscle relaxers only a few times a year for severe neck spasms. I do take OTC allergy meds and ibuprofen, none of which are considered serious risks for hearing impairment.

The main reason for the left ear hearing loss is... I'm old. I just turned 60 and the body isn't liking it much. Combined with years of exposure to loud music and gunfire (even though I was very conscientious about using ear plugs and muffs), it's a wonder I can still hear fairly well out of my right ear. Bike riding may be a factor -- the left ear is more exposed to road noise on highways.

My high frequency hearing is pretty much gone with my left ear. And recently I'm noticing I need to turn my head and ask folks to repeat something they've said. Depends on ambient noise, voice tone and pitch, etc. A couple of my cycling friends are women with helium voices. It's adorable although I don't say that because they're also very independent and tough as nails, so it's not an affectation to be "cute". Their voices do not by any means accurately reflect their personalities. But increasingly I'm pretending I have ear congestion from allergies or whatever so I'll have an excuse to ask them to repeat something they've just said. But the fact is, I'm going deaf in my left ear. Runs in the family. Pretty soon I'll turn into my granddad.

Temporary hearing impairment is also a common side effect of opiates. Remember when radio personality Rush Limbaugh went "deaf" back in the 1990s? Then he was miraculously cured? Oxycontin. Yeah, he also claimed to have an auto-immune disorder (I sympathize, I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, with many seemingly unrelated but connected minor health complications). But when he kicked the addiction to oxy his hearing improved. Having taken oxy briefly after a car wreck broke my back and neck in 2001, I can vouch for the hearing impairment. Everything sounded muffled when I was taking oxycontin, like my ears were filled with water and cotton. And I took it very rarely -- a one month supply lasted me 10 years because I took it only when the neck pain was unbearable. Turns out muscle relaxers were more effective with fewer risks.
Old 12-11-17, 10:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
I was looking forward to a lot of rides this fall but early in September I contracted a severe case of shingles. Its been painful, irritating and debilitating. Consequently no riding since about September 4th. Just now feeling a bit better although I still tire easily. Of course my doctor had advised getting the vaccine but I never thought it would happen to ME. Please if you're over 50, get the shot, don't leave it to chance like I did.
There is not doubt older people should get a shot for shingles, and pneumonia. So many old people die of pneumonia.
Old 12-11-17, 02:39 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
A few years ago at 50 y/o I developed trigeminal shingles on the right side of my face. The shingles blisters rose along my outer lip, jaw, cheek, eye and ear. At first I thought I had a major dental cavity from the nerve pain along the jaw and went to my DDS. He examined me and advised me I had shingles.

The blistering took several days to fully develop and crust over after starting the antivirals. The neuralgia only lasted for a couple of weeks after the initial onset of symptoms. My case of shingles was mild compared to the images I have viewed on the web.

Since then, I took up road cycling to better manage my job stress.
Old 12-11-17, 02:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I got shingles when I was 24, during law school. It sucked and I do not wish to experience that again. Vax me up.
Old 12-11-17, 02:59 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
+1 on the new vaccine. Fortunately, it's available at no cost for employees over 50 at the hospital where I work. I've taken care of enough shingles sufferers to be motivated to do whatever will minimize my risk.
Old 12-12-17, 01:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Honusms
+1 on the new vaccine. Fortunately, it's available at no cost for employees over 50 at the hospital where I work. I've taken care of enough shingles sufferers to be motivated to do whatever will minimize my risk.
Shingrix is available at your hospital already? That's encouraging.
Old 12-17-17, 12:03 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I didn't get the existing shot because I read it was 50-50 or less. I'm all aboard for the new vaccine. My doc has no idea when it will be available through Kaiser/Medicare Advantage. I'll keep bugging her about it. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-01-18, 01:36 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Timely thread. After receiving the flu immunization yesterday the pharmacist asked if we also wanted the new shingles vaccination. After a bit of discussion decided to put it off pending research.

Next time in the store will be vaccination time.
Old 01-01-18, 04:58 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Timely thread. After receiving the flu immunization yesterday the pharmacist asked if we also wanted the new shingles vaccination. After a bit of discussion decided to put it off pending research.

Next time in the store will be vaccination time.
Would seem to be a genuine New, Improved product. Last I checked, was not yet in our hospital system's formulary but I need to see if the local drugstores have it. My most recent immunizations have been through the CVS nurse practitioner clinics.
Old 01-01-18, 05:51 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by JanMM
Would seem to be a genuine New, Improved product. Last I checked, was not yet in our hospital system's formulary but I need to see if the local drugstores have it. My most recent immunizations have been through the CVS nurse practitioner clinics.
I asked my own doctors office whether they had it, and they did not (put me on the list to be notified). I might go by CVS and ask however - that's another option.
Old 01-03-18, 10:30 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
FYI-for any vets getting health care through the VA, the older vaccine is available. It was free for me as I have a priority 3 disability rating. I'm not sure if there is a cost associated with lower priority ratings. The original study was done through the VA.
Old 01-08-18, 03:15 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Correct that shingles is not a herd immunity thing - herd immunity only applies to contagious illnesses.
Perhaps someday if, because of childhood immunization, chickpox becomes uncommon, then so too will shingles. The only folks who are at risk of shingles are those who have had chickenpox. Which includes almost all of us here.
Correction: Shingles is a low level herd immunity thing because someone who has not had chickenpox and who has not been vaccinated against it (chickenpox) can catch it if exposed to an open shingles lesion. Not aware that happens very often.

Wait, so I'm good since I've never had Chickenpox? My siblings had it while I was in the womb. I've never had it and treated a couple of my boys for it with no problems.
Old 01-08-18, 09:33 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Wait, so I'm good since I've never had Chickenpox? My siblings had it while I was in the womb. I've never had it and treated a couple of my boys for it with no problems.
Most people of a certain age have had chickenpox, whether or not they remember. A blood test can tell for sure whether or not you have immunity to it because of prior illness/exposure.

Someone who has not had chickenpox or been vaccinated for it, can contract chickenpox from someone ill with the disease or, more rarely, from contact with another person's open shingles lesions.
On the other hand, someone who has not had chickenpox cannot develop shingles. Gotta have chickenpox previously to develop shingles later.
When in doubt about whether or not a shingles vaccination (or a chickenpox vaccination) is needed, check with a healthcare provider. (Not an RN on a bicycle forum.)
Old 01-08-18, 10:42 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Oh, you mean like this?
Hee, hee! Natural medicine is great because "the known laws of nature are violated by its basic claims" (Wikipedia).
Old 01-27-18, 02:24 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Had it for New Years 2017, it sucked as bad as that winter. Not my first rodeo either.
Old 03-05-18, 11:22 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I got shingles last Feb (or it got me), after chemo wiped out my immune system. I still have the postherpetic neuralgia on the left side of my face and a scar on my cheekbone. I grew half a beard because it hurt to shave around my lip. Tried gabapentin and others, settled on lyrica, but it barely helps. I don't know about the vaccines, but it the nerve pain is my cost of beating lymphoma, I'll take it.
Old 05-29-18, 03:18 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,810 Posts
Well, hell;
I just got back from Costco, where they informed me the mfgr of Shingrix has fallen behind on production.
They are compiling a list of people who they will notify when they get their next shipment.
Old 05-29-18, 05:44 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Well, hell;
I just got back from Costco, where they informed me the mfgr of Shingrix has fallen behind on production.
They are compiling a list of people who they will notify when they get their next shipment.
I got my the shot a few weeks ago when I was at the Doctor's office. I am set to go back for the booster sometime in Sept.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.