Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 04:03 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
since february, the increase in activity has been linear in bicyclist usage; the numbnut mentality has been exponentially growing.

Less events have happened, but not by much... unless you consider 30ish miler "fundraisers" ending with blackout drinking & social/recreational substance usage an event. Those have been cropping up at random every month-week it seems. The cold weather hasn't phased that sorta activity, but maybe the high winds will shift that to a different direction. Although, numb minded folks don't tend to consider that as an impact...
Old 10-16-18, 04:14 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
We have a pretty good system of bike and pedestrian trails in our area. Most of the bikes in use are rentals for tourists. There's probably an even split between road cyclists and lower income workers who commute after that. I'd say at least a third of the rentals are ebikes now. A significant percentage of homeless are on bikes as well, some with large trailers.

What's concerning however, are the number of homeless encampments along and sometimes, in the middle of the trails. The trails are home to squatter camps say, every 5-10 miles along the trails. I never see this being reported in the news as a problem but the number of homeless along the trails is definitely trending upward.
Old 10-16-18, 04:34 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Cycling is booming in my small rural town . . . There are three of us now

Seriously, I'm a bit off the beaten path, but I don't have to go very far to see a variety of cycling cultures alive and thriving, from the coffee shop crowd in downtown Fargo, the mountain bikers around Detroit Lakes, and the numerous recreational riders and cycle tourists of lakes country.
Old 10-16-18, 04:39 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd guess that cycling is declining in my town, and it feels that way. The weather and infrastructure are already bad, and the traffic density and population is rapidly growing and moving outward from town. The roads get more stressful and less appealing every year.
Old 10-16-18, 05:37 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Photography, photography, photography.
First came photographs of the bike lanes.Someone took a trip to Europe and came back without any photos of the Dutch bike lanes, which we've heard so much about. But eventually, the Internet brought prodigious photos to America, thus proving the existence of bike lanes.
Now that the existence of bike lanes has been proven, new legislation is being passed to keep cars out of the bike lanes. (Can't tell them to stay out of a place that doesn't exist...)
Secondly comes the Go Pro contingent, who bring back photos of the cars, in the bike lanes. Now we have evidence for the prosecution.
Third comes more photos, to share on the internet , which gives solo riders the comradery of sharing the experience with others.
Additional photos show us new kinds of bicycles_ recumbents , electric ebikes, cargo bikes, velomobiles, fat tire snow bikes, trikes, and bike share rental bikes.
​​​​​​​
Old 10-16-18, 07:31 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I think it's. growing where I live. Mostly in the commuting and utility portion. Employment is growing in the downtown area, but the city has said it does not plan to build any new parking ramps, so it's ride or take the bus.

City of 100,000 with 4 bike shops and a sporting goods store that is an authorized dealer for a couple of brands.
Old 10-16-18, 09:37 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think Cycling is killing itself. The focus seems to be on latest tech. Instead of focusing on rider. We spend so much time on thinking and buying equipment. We should be able to buy a $99 bike from Walmart and ride a century. But we're obsessed with equipment.
Why why couldn’t you do that? I mean, once you got the thing shifting correctly and the forks put on the right way around and things like that.

-Matt
Old 10-17-18, 04:55 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
People in normal clothes are riding. White collared shirts , patent leather shoes.

( note: I am posting this from my new iPhone )
Old 10-17-18, 06:47 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Declining. Back in the 80's... just about every kid had a bike in the neighborhoods in my rural town. Now, there's many kids who don't even know how to ride a bike and don't care to. They'd rather sit around, play video games and fiddle with their smart phones.

20 years ago, there were 3 Local Bike Shops (in a 30 mile radius) that dealt with Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, etc. Now there are zero. The last remaining bike shop owner (Trek dealer) retired 3 years ago and closed up shop. Now, I have to drive 1-1/2 hours... about 100 miles, to nearest LBS.

Last edited by DomaneS5; 10-17-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-17-18, 09:12 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
I'm amazed how kids can sit in their rooms for the whole day & have no instinct to get fresh air/activity. In the old days that would have been a serious cause for concern, now I guess the busy parents feel that at least the kid is safe.
Old 10-18-18, 05:29 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
We have a major University in our town, so that helps to always have fresh blood. It probably evens out though when they graduate.

There's been expansions of MUPs here and proposals of expensive MUPs to connect larger trail systems so I take that as a good sign. People seem positive to it since it's not just cyclists benefiting. The rails to trails program is a God send to the mid west. I see lots of families enjoying cycling on the trails.

Also interesting is in my aggressive punk riding, there has been pretty much zero negativity towards me by automobiles. Nothing like the crazy stuff I see else where. Infact drivers are often too courteous.

As far as organized rides go I have yet to join, and I'm only aware of one group really that's only maybe an average of fifteen members. They seem really friendly though.
I think in Iowa we are lucky that Ragbrai has become so big. It has promoted cycling in our bigger cities and I even see some small towns trying to put MUP's in, even if they are just gravel. Part of the reason I will be purchasing a gravel bike this winter.
My worries for cycling is that I see fewer and fewer kids on them. I live in and grew up in a town of 1500 people. During the summer everyone rode their bikes to the swimming pool and ball parks, even out to the local lake to fish. When I go past these places now I rarely see a bike but tons of parents that drove 5 blocks to drop their kid off.
Old 10-18-18, 09:23 PM
DropBarFan

BTW motorcycling is also declining...racing, touring & commuting, even the Harley crowd is aging. Younger folks aren't interested in any transport mode that interferes with The Phone.
Old 10-18-18, 09:37 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to drive 1.5 hours just to see a bike on the road. Seen 3 non steady riders in my city in 20 or more years. Makes me sad. Would love to ride with someone once in a while. Must be karma coming back around.
Old 10-19-18, 06:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Definitely seeing more bike commuters in the summer where I live now that there are improved bike lane markings and a bike share franchise in town. Here in New England, it is always going to be a seasonal thing, however.

When I'm out riding in the country on state roads, etc., I see lots of adult riders of all ages and both genders. MUPs on weekends are packed with all ages on bikes, especially as I get closer to Boston (I live in NH).
Old 10-19-18, 07:37 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
This is purely anecdotal and there are folks in this community (Green Bay, WI) who would certainly know better, but I’d say growing. 1. About 20 years ago we built a 14 mile trail that stretches along the Fox River and it turns out to have been the best thing we could have done for public health. It’s definitely a case of ‘build it and they will come.’ There are always people on that trail and at times it’s quite crowded. 2. We appear to be supporting six or seven bike shops. With the exception of the decade I spent at college and rambling around the East Coast, I’ve lived my life here and that’s about twice as many as we’ve had in the past. 3. I’m noticing more people on bicycles going to work. It’s nowhere near, say Vancouver or even Milwaukee, but for Green Bay it’s a noticeable trend. 4. I’ve noticed a rise in lifestyle riding, you see a lot of younger couples riding cute retro bikes to the farmers market and that kind of thing. I don’t recall ever seeing that before. 5. I rode the Door County Century in September, that’s about an hour North of here, and I was astonished by how many businesses around d here have cycling teams with custom jerseys. I almost feel like I need to start one for my business!

I haven't really scoped out the local clubs and organized biking scene. But the bike shops, especially the newer ones, seem to really be pulling in community by organizing group rides, races, and other events. One of them in particular is very involved with Winter fat bike racing. It’s a whole new frontier of cycling. It’s not really my thing, but it looks like fun. The traditional bike club does feel like it’s in decline, which is a shame. But there's now a 'collective' that works to keep everyone informed of the numerous different things that are happening as well as fighting for improved bike lanes and other infrastructure. I’ve been impressed with the success of their advocacy.
Old 10-19-18, 09:53 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Definitely seeing more bike commuters in the summer where I live now that there are improved bike lane markings and a bike share franchise in town. Here in New England, it is always going to be a seasonal thing, however.

When I'm out riding in the country on state roads, etc., I see lots of adult riders of all ages and both genders. MUPs on weekends are packed with all ages on bikes, especially as I get closer to Boston (I live in NH).
Thanks for confirming my opinion to this thread, from February:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Is Cycling Growing Or Declining In Your Area (U.S.)?"

From my experience as a commuter and weekend road cyclist, I would say it has increased in Metro Boston. More specifically, back in 2011, I was able to post about progress...and it continues today.
Old 10-19-18, 06:38 PM
kimguroo

Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I live extremely bike friendly neighborhood because mayor likes bike. He was mayor for over 20 years then he was removed in this year. he made bike friendly city (probably someone was not totally happy about it).
new mayor took the city then she tried to get rid of one of popular MTB trails. Fortunately People fought to save the Trail.
I can’t say “declining” but my area always has good bike populations both road and MTB.
Old 10-19-18, 07:02 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I see a large number of doughy old guys riding high end road bikes in my neck of the woods. And many retirees out riding mid day. They kind of scare me as their balance is a bit off...sometimes due to a most awkward riding style. But hey, they are out enjoying themselves and excersizing. Not many youths into cycling. Many middle age guys in lycra. And women! Groups of 2-3 women riding all kitted out. Now with the weather cooling off the hoards of cyclists on the weekend are thinning out a bit. But overall a lot of cyclists in the area. And growing in numbers
Old 10-19-18, 07:33 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Cycling is hugely popular here in Charlotte, North Carolina but I think we have too many shops now. Cycling has grown commensurate with the population explosion here more than anything.

I think a few of the shops are struggling, mainly because there isn't anything to differentiate them from the other shops. The shops that have the best mechanics, the better bikes and the better service and help "seem" to be doing better than the others...but one never really knows. It's a cyclical business, has been for decades.

Bicycle shops have always had a tough time even when times were good. If you want to become wealthy, don't start a bike "shop", go all-out or not at all in my opinion.

I remember working with a guy named Richard many years ago here in Charlotte when I worked in a shop. His brother Gary started a mail-order business in Chapel Hill and asked Richard to help out. 30 years later we know that small mail-order shop that started in a garage as Performance Bicycle. His brother went "all-out" and gambled everything he had for that business, and it worked. Ballsy move and a man with a vision.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 10-19-18 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 07:46 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I'm amazed how kids can sit in their rooms for the whole day & have no instinct to get fresh air/activity. In the old days that would have been a serious cause for concern, now I guess the busy parents feel that at least the kid is safe.
From everything except obesity, childhood onset type 2 diabetes, early start on heart disease, depression . . .
Old 10-20-18, 08:24 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
Forgot all about this thread, but a lot of interesting responses. Seems most of the growth is in either large metros, or in year-round warm weather climates, both of which make sense. I do think there's a socio-economic factor in play, in that young, educated people who are generally more inclined to exercise and have disposable income, are moving in droves to large metros, causing a big decline in not only cycling, but running and other sports in smaller cities.

I'm in the southern part of Indiana, and as noted in my OP, cycling has declined across the board. Road cycling, from racers to racing events, club ride participation, event participation, the number of people out on the road, its all dropped significantly. People seem to still be buying mountain bikes, but the number of people actually riding or showing up for organized rides is down, and our local/regional mountain bike racing series have gone away altogether. We don't have any gravel, cross or fatbike riders, races, or events at all. Some of our neighboring towns, with populations ranging from 15-40k or so, have only a small handful, if any, riders of in any discipline at all.

check out the gravel grovel and the death march. There is also a cx series in Bloomington. Brown county is a mtb mecca, and terrehaute has quite a mtn bike park.
Old 10-20-18, 08:55 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Myosmith
From everything except obesity, childhood onset type 2 diabetes, early start on heart disease, depression . . .
Sadly so true, I see these things myself in friends' kids & also more frequent minor complaints like colds/allergies/headaches.
Old 10-21-18, 06:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I think it's increasing around Louisville KY. The Louisville Loop (paved MUP with a few off road trails) appears to be getting more out on bikes, Bike shops in the area don't appear to be hurting, either, so a gauge, can figure that more are riding. Louisville also has many Olmstead designed parks which are suitable for riding.
Old 10-21-18, 06:44 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
In my own area, it's hard to tell if interest is increasing or declining. There are a good number of cyclists who regularly commute, and the spring/summer crowd is fair. But, it's a "major" metro area laid out in the typical "U.S. major metro" style that generally seems to value the use of automobiles instead of bicycles. (Fewer bike/MUP lanes than one would hope for; less-than-safe recognition by the average motorist; etc.)

In the handful of years I've been here, I'd say it's probably increasing, albeit slowly.

Would love to see far more cross-town bike routes implemented, ones that are safe as well as effective for providing speedy cross-town access. Once that happens, I imagine far more people will begin to commute by bike. Until then, it'll largely remain a weekend affair for a lot of folks.
Old 10-21-18, 12:59 PM
SteelThisBike

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Intenso, Lemond Zurich, Stowe, Trek 930

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"I see a large number of doughy old guys riding high end road bikes in my neck of the woods."

Ha, ha, that would be me, though I'm on mid-range not high end bikes.Most of the cyclists here are fitter and seem to know what they're doing, so I feel like a dope. You need to know a thing or two here because it's dangerous riding with all the traffic and road rage. I go out in the wee hours when the roads are empty. For the most part I'd say cycling is neither growing or declining. More bike friendly features (bike lanes, bike racks on buses), but it seems pretty constant. I see lots of group rides, as always, but until they have one specifically for doughy old guys I'll leave it be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.