Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Back on Bike After Greenlight

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 12-09-18, 07:17 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

At 76 I reached a point where I had to address the BPH..The Greenlight (laser) procedure was done last Tuesday and I get the catheter out tomorrow. My Urologist/Surgeon says 2 - 3 weeks off the bike but he is not a rider. How long did you guys stay off the bike? At my age it gets harder to get the fitness back each time I have a surgery so I want to at least get on the trainer ASAP.
Old 12-10-18, 06:49 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by fastcarbon
.................... My Urologist/Surgeon says 2 - 3 weeks off the bike but he is not a rider....................
Good to read the procedure is done and you're now waiting for cath. to be removed. I would humor the urologist and abide by his recommendations since he could have some concerns specific to your treatment. Maybe others could mount a bike in a shorter time frame after surgery but they are not you. Yes you are a big boy now and can do as you please, just remember, you will suffer the consequences should any occur, not the urologist. You could always check again after cath. is out.

BTW, my prostate diagnoses and treatments were far more invasive than most men go through. My doctor gave me the OK for back on the bike in a couple of days since he knew my abilities and his abilities and felt that damage would not be done, but I was only 65 and 68 not 76, so no clue if I had been older.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 12-11-18, 03:20 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I had greenlight on May 2n this year I am 57 was 56. I am going to give you my story and you can do what you want.

I actually rode my bike 20 miles the morning of the surgery. My prostate was large and he dr said he would need to remove as much as he could to avoid this surgery again too soon. I was peeing 15-20 times day and could not empty bladder much it was bad I waited too long. So I go into surgery at 12pm supposed to be about 3 hours. Well I start to come out of surgery and waking notice a lot pain and the dr sees I am bleeding, which greenlight is not suppose to really have much blood loss the great benefit of it too.

So the dr says he is just going to go back in and get it taken care of he did not want to come back in the middle of the night. So 3 more hours under and I was out of surgery at 7pm. I had the catheter in for about 36hours still in hospital. They removed it and I started going ok but then stopped up. Well they then straight cathed me and I was finally able to get the plumbing in working order without catheter being reinserted. Otherwise I was going home with a catheter like I assume you did. Normally in greenlight they take the catheter out in sometimes a few hours but not more than 24 normally. I did have the complication so a bit longer for me but once going I was ok.

So my dr is a cyclist and said to wait till he give the ok to ride. I am a runner too so he said I could walk all I want but no real running for maybe a week or two. I was able to walk about 3-4 miles a few days later then started back running very easy and slow. The blood loss dropped my hemoglobin and I was clearly fighting that. By so by the second week after I was running easy 4-5 miles day. I was not getting much blood in my urine and dr gave me the ok to try riding so on May 19th, 15 days later I rode 10 miles not issues. I then rode the next day 20 miles not real problems. Sometimes after running in the morning I would have blood in urine that was normal but it would clear later in day.

I then saw dr for follow up 3 weeks later and he said it could ride but monitor blood in urine as I was still healing. So then that weekend I go out and do a 44 mile ride thinking I was probably ok not much blood showing. Well I returned from that ride and pissed what was pretty dark wine colored stuff. Oh I was worried. Nothing hurt and I was not in pain but scared. Well immediately started drinking lots of liquid to see if things would clear. Lucky for me they did and not issue came up but it gave me a scare. I then went back to running easy for another week and by 1 month I was ok and riding but careful. I had spotting of blood for abut 8 weeks at times.

I guess I can tell you to listen to your dr and don't push things. Better to missed a few days up front than get into any serious issues. It is easy to say now but hard to follow in reality. The follow up is now 6 months later I am fine I can ride 60 miles and not have to pee. I am able to basically empty the bladder almost all that was a concern the dr mention because I had such stretched bladder with lots of muscle build up. it was one of the best things I recommend it but home my story sheds some light. Greenlight is normally pretty easy and even done as an outpatient and you go home by the end of the day no catheter.

I am guess your surgeon has reasons for a week with the catheter but listen to him. Let me know how things are going I think you will find this really will make life easier.

Last edited by deacon mark; 12-11-18 at 03:23 PM.