Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

3 Weeks into it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 07:44 AM
folgore

Bikes: Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 Weeks into it...

Good day everybody!

I'm 47 years old, was 277 lbs up to three weeks ago, and then I bought a great Trek 7100 for $150 on Craigslist and from that moment on, I haven't been able to stop!

Thanks to a great bike path, I've started riding more and more every day. First day 4 miles, then 9, then 17.5 and now every day I ride the whole 25 miles of the path. My butt and legs are killing me, but I've lost 18 lbs in three weeks (also watching what I eat or drink) and it seems like everyday I want to take a day off, but comes 5pm I can't keep from just going there and ride.

Now the big question that all the experience people here can surely help me with: my legs are really destroyed, so today I've decided to take a day off. What is the right amount of time to take off? 1 day, 2 days or until my legs dont hurt anymore?

Thank you in advance!!!!

Alex
Old 07-20-18, 08:01 AM
NUTNDUN
Lost in Space

Bikes: 1985 Trek 520, 1992 Trek 1200, 2014 Trek Remedy 8, 2019 Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's good to get a rest day after doing a longer ride. Just like weight training your muscles need the rest to rebuild and get stronger.
Old 07-20-18, 08:06 AM
folgore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I have put some rest day here and there (mainly rainy days) but still legs are still shot on the next. Should I push more now or let them rest and then push even harder?
Old 07-20-18, 08:12 AM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Find some training programs, google something like "how to train for a bike century". The training will outline just what you are asking. I have seen plans that start out a week where you'll go a few miles and increase by maybe 20-30% for 4 days and then rest a day and do it again. There is VALUE in rest and not riding. Those sore legs need to recoop and rebuild, then they'll be stronger and ready for another run.

I'll see if I can find you something like what I mean.

You'd have to plan some kind of cross training for the days it has that there (you can adjust your miles lower since you're not going to ride a 100 mile day)
https://californiatriathlon.org/wp-c...ingProgram.pdf

Last edited by jack002; 07-20-18 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-20-18, 08:15 AM
NUTNDUN
Lost in Space

Bikes: 1985 Trek 520, 1992 Trek 1200, 2014 Trek Remedy 8, 2019 Trek Emonda SL6

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would take another rest day or two if they are that sore. You could still go for shorter rides in the meantime say 5 mile or under if you just need to get out. Just don't be smashing the big gears and just spin on lower gears. Once your legs feel better then go for a 25 mile ride then take a day off. Rinse and repeat and you will feel each time you go out you will be stronger than the last time.
Old 07-20-18, 10:10 AM
folgore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you everybody for your inputs and thanks Jack for the link!

I guess it's just the newbie enthusiasm + the quick weight loss that are pushing me to do more before the summer is over and we go back to freezing temps!
Old 07-20-18, 10:11 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Or if you don't want to take a rest day, just go on a recovery ride. Do a nice, slow ride where you don't push yourself. You still get to get out there and enjoy riding while allowing your legs to recover by not pushing them hard. Keep it in a low gear and just do a slow roll.
Old 07-20-18, 10:49 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by folgore
Good day everybody!

I'm 47 years old, was 277 lbs up to three weeks ago, and then I bought a great Trek 7100 for $150 on Craigslist and from that moment on, I haven't been able to stop!

Thanks to a great bike path, I've started riding more and more every day. First day 4 miles, then 9, then 17.5 and now every day I ride the whole 25 miles of the path. My butt and legs are killing me, but I've lost 18 lbs in three weeks (also watching what I eat or drink) and it seems like everyday I want to take a day off, but comes 5pm I can't keep from just going there and ride.

Now the big question that all the experience people here can surely help me with: my legs are really destroyed, so today I've decided to take a day off. What is the right amount of time to take off? 1 day, 2 days or until my legs dont hurt anymore?

Thank you in advance!!!!

Alex
When I started working out in the winter, I was in such poor shape I needed a week to recover.
Now, I'm still working out once a week, but doing cardio on the bike on a day in between.
Get a cyclometer with a cadence meter or just keep the "flying monkeys" music from Wizard of Oz running through your head..
Started at 295 as a big tub of goo, now 245 with some definition coming in my legs
Old 07-20-18, 11:05 AM
folgore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JLDickmon
When I started working out in the winter, I was in such poor shape I needed a week to recover.
Now, I'm still working out once a week, but doing cardio on the bike on a day in between.
Get a cyclometer with a cadence meter or just keep the "flying monkeys" music from Wizard of Oz running through your head..
Started at 295 as a big tub of goo, now 245 with some definition coming in my legs
Congrats!!! Hope to achieve same results. I've quit smoking after 30 years at 2-3 packs a day, 13 months ago and my body blew up!

Hope I can go back to my 200 lbs or even less
Old 07-20-18, 11:55 AM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Congrats!!! Hope to achieve same results. I've quit smoking after 30 years at 2-3 packs a day, 13 months ago and my body blew up!

Hope I can go back to my 200 lbs or even less
Keep at it.. you'll get there..
Personally, I'm aiming at 220lbs.
Dr said 180 would be more his liking, but I think he's been gettin' in the pharmaceutical samples..
Old 07-20-18, 12:18 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I’ve been told to eat some quality protein immediately following rigorous muscular workouts that make you sore. This speeds the healing process, it also helps moderate the appetite so you’re not ravenous. When I say quality protein for me I’m talking about baked fish or just protein powder and Greek yogurt and fruit in a smoothie.

It is wonderful to know that the secret to break out of not bicycling can be obtained for so little money. Plus the identification with your 25 mile path - where you are compelled to return like that - is pretty magical! Way to go!!

BTW: I say +1 about taking an easy spin on recovery days. You are still burning calories and conditioning yourself with a bit less wear and tear. Because of the adaptive nature of training, often times rest days are nearly as fast as “hammer” type days.

Last edited by masi61; 07-20-18 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 01:23 PM
C.Jester

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations man. That’s awesome and I always get a kick out of hearing stuff like this. I started at 6’ 2”- 260 lbs. and now holding a steady 190 to 200 lbs. (depending on how long since my last dump).Working out and cycling stresses the muscles. Resting allows your muscles to heal the little micro tears from stressing them which is what actually builds the muscles.

I’m no professional trainer by any means, but everything that I’ve seen and practiced has stated that 24 to 48 hours is best for resting muscles. Really really sore would be more of the 48 hour time frame. This doesn’t mean that sitting around and doing nothing is best. Five to ten really slow easy miles or even a good mile or three walk will keep the muscles lubricated and getting them the added blood and oxygen to heal a little better. Looking into a good low fat/high protein diet will always help with weight and muscle maintenance too.

Sounds like you’ve really found something that you enjoy that is good for you.

Keep with it and update on the progress.
Old 07-20-18, 03:39 PM
SunDog70

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.3; 1992 Schwinn Hurricane MTB; 2018 Trek Domane AL 3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the progress, that is awesome! It truly is incredible how quickly people can make distance gains on bikes, when a few miles seem like a read toward death to suddenly doing 15, then 25, etc.

Sorry to hear about the pain though. Maybe it was mentioned above or you already have taken care of it, but do you think everything is adjusted properly for you? I guess it would concern me a little bit if you are still experiencing a lot of leg and knee pain after this time, even with frequent riding. Ex. is your seat too high/low, too forward/back. That can make a huge difference with even small adjustments - one knee can hurt like hell if I have my seat just a hair too low. Then as someone said above, making sure you are not grinding too hard in your pedaling and instead doing more easy spinning. If you are on a flat trail that may not be the issue, but thought I'd bring it up anyway. Hopefully a little rest will bring your legs back around. And some good bike shorts for your rear!
Old 07-23-18, 06:04 AM
folgore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! I can honestly say that no other forum has this much empathy and encouragement! Thank you all very much!

I am also trying NOT to look at road bikes on eBay and in stores. I am a big sucker for modern design, so naturally these beautiful carbon fiber machines are magnets to me, BUT I have a really bad back (I usually say BAD BACK and BEYOND) so I should stick to a more upright position.

Thank you again everybody!
Old 07-23-18, 09:43 AM
C.Jester

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling may be really good for your back depending on the cause and issues. Someone with a PhD could tell you better than me.
I road raced sport bike for seven years and wrecked at between 40 and 140 mph several times and just in general beat the crap out of my body. I used to visit the chiropractor pretty frequently. I've quit racing, but cycling was brought up by my chiropractor as a good way to help strengthen my hips and work the muscles in the lower back and upper legs that help maintain the hip's alignment. Haven't been to the chiropractor in over a year thus far.
Good luck.
Old 07-23-18, 09:52 AM
folgore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Then I'm gonna go for it!!!
Old 07-23-18, 12:32 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Cycling is certainly much better for your back & knees than jogging.
Old 01-01-19, 08:38 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I added potassium and iron to my supplement regiment cause I just seemed to hurt all the time, seems to have done wonders.
Old 01-01-19, 09:30 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Sore muscles =good

sore joints =bad

Mix it up on "rest" days. Active rest!

go for a walk, hike etc,
Old 01-02-19, 09:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
with weight training, I've read the ideal is to take 48 hrs off between sessions working the same muscles. cycling is different, meaning you can ride every day. running & swimming are the same like that. but where you are in your training, sounds like you can easily benefit from 24 - 48 hrs of rest. feel free to do something else of course, like a walk. even on the same trail you ride your bike. that might be interesting for you. once you get to a certain fitness level you can ride every day if you like. but right now, it would be appropriate to have at least 1 rest day per week. is your saddle height correct? a saddle too low, can cause unnecessary leg strain cuz you're not straightening your leg enough on the down stroke. too high is not good for other reasons, but check your saddle height, that might help immediately
Old 01-02-19, 02:17 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Wow! I can honestly say that no other forum has this much empathy and encouragement! Thank you all very much!

I am also trying NOT to look at road bikes on eBay and in stores. I am a big sucker for modern design, so naturally these beautiful carbon fiber machines are magnets to me, BUT I have a really bad back (I usually say BAD BACK and BEYOND) so I should stick to a more upright position.

Thank you again everybody!
I understand what you mean about fancy bike being eye candy. I look more at steel bikes but then I look at shiny equipment. I got a Waterford with R8000 equipment and this year I am planning on getting a Brompton, the reason for the Brompton is that it will fit in the trunk of my roadster. I have had a bad back and at some point, riding a road bike seemed to help stretch the back and relieve some pain. That was until that no longer worked, then I had surgery, that was one of the good things that I had done 15 years ago.

Last edited by cyclist2000; 01-02-19 at 02:57 PM.