Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Best saddles for big guys?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Best saddles for big guys?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 11:51 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My plan is to pick up whatever interesting saddles I see at yard sales. That way, if they don't work, I'm out <$10, not the $$$ that I'd spend at the bike shop or on flea-Bay. If I find a brand or two that work well for me consistently, THEN I'll consider investigating their more expensive models.
Old 12-01-14, 03:41 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Actually, for the upright position that one has on a Townie, the padded blob saddle isn't too bad. I can put about four miles on the Townie before I need to get off and walk a bit. That said, I can ride four miles again and again and again with only that short walk in-between segments.

For a road bike, then no, the Townie's blob saddle wouldn't work, but it is fine for what it's intended to be, IMHO.
This is what I put on my Townie: Amazon.com: Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser Bicycle Seat: Sports & Outdoors It was cheap and it's held up for several years, even when I was about 400lbs and riding daily. The stock Townie saddle was bruising my butt.
Old 12-01-14, 05:46 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was measured for a 155 in Specialized's flat saddles and a 168 in the saddles where the tail rises. I'm told that's unusual for a man, even a large man such as myself.
Old 12-01-14, 05:52 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Judi
This is what I put on my Townie: Amazon.com: Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser Bicycle Seat: Sports & Outdoors It was cheap and it's held up for several years, even when I was about 400lbs and riding daily. The stock Townie saddle was bruising my butt.
These wide saddles just cause thigh chafing, you have to be able to sit *and* pedal on a saddle, it's not a bar stool. I just think they're a bad idea.
Old 12-01-14, 05:59 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love my Serfas RX

At a high of 285...
Old 12-01-14, 06:15 PM
Judi

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
These wide saddles just cause thigh chafing, you have to be able to sit *and* pedal on a saddle, it's not a bar stool. I just think they're a bad idea.
Depends on your personal anatomy and bike. With the Townie, most of your weight is on your butt, the weight is not really distributed between your legs and butt like other bikes, and you're not leaning forward to pedal. I put a saddle like that on my spin bike, very briefly, because I happened to have a spare in the garage when the saddle on the spin bike broke. The wider saddle is not useful or comfortable on the spin bike at all, but it's ideal for the Townie.
Old 12-03-14, 04:09 PM
Captlink

Bikes: Univega/custom,Evil Brut Fatbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a tight wad and consider the purchase of my Brooks saddle one of the best purchases of my life time.My B-17 Team Select is in near perfect condition after 30 years of use with minimal care.Buy the women's model if it fits you better,its your rear end.
PS: These saddles will not be comfortable when you try one in the lbs.It takes a bit of time till its broken in to your individual seat.
Old 12-07-18, 09:19 AM
gtharv

Bikes: Surly, Giant Xtc, Salsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me i would go for brooks i find it very comfortable especially in the long rides
Old 12-08-18, 06:35 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
I'm 6'4", 270#. On four different bikes, I have a Brooks B17, a Brooks Swift, a C17, and a Fizik Arione. I haven't gotten much time in on the Arione yet, so I can't really opine on that. All the Brooks saddles have all been great for me, though. I inspect the leather ones regularly, and they don't appear to be degrading because of my weight...they're doing quite well.
Old 12-31-18, 05:44 AM
billm67

Bikes: Jamis Revenge, Fuji Roubaix, Raliegh mountian bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I have several WTB saddles and have had good luck with them. I also have a b17 and took it off because it was causing numbness. I believe the problem was that it had stretched and needed tightened. I haven't put it back on yet...but I think with it will be fine now that it is once again tight.
Old 01-04-19, 12:05 PM
Oli_Aponte

Bikes: Custom steel bicycles made by me and a Felt B12

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using a large fizik aliante. Its been really good to me. Though its very tricky getting the saddle angle right.. I had a lot of trial and error, but finally dialed it in, and it feels amazing
Old 01-05-19, 04:50 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am 240 lbs and just under 6 feet. I have gone through a LOT of saddles for my Specialized Hardrock Sport (being converted to eBike). I have done all the upgrades and the bike is mechanically sound and way better than it left teh factory. But it has not been comfortable ... I have other bikes and they are fine. So I emailed Velo about a seat I have on my K2. Bought it used and it was/is my favorite. It says VeloPlush and Memory Foam. It's a mid-sized saddle.

So they got back to me in a day (yeah) and said the current model that corresponds is the Velo Cloud ( VL-6104, VOAM Cloud ). May help others ...
Old 01-06-19, 09:46 AM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Whoa - So many choices! I've read that the Brooks B17 isn't suitable for anyone over 250#, yet @rick458 says his works fine.
If you like Brooks, but are concerned about the B-17 under load, take a look at the Brooks C17. I have both. The B17 is definitely "nicer" but I've stretched it out more than I would have liked. But my C17, which is a touch less comfortable, is damn near indestructible. It's what I use on my brevets (and most of my rides, frankly). Longest ride on it was a 600k, and the saddle was not my week point at the end. And yes, I'm allowed to be in this forum. So... I love my C17, but admit that the B17 is nicer.
Old 01-06-19, 02:08 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
In the 350 - 400 lbs range; I like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1C88ZY Pure Fix Velo Drome Bicycle Saddle for my 10+ commute (one way). My bars are at the same height as my saddle.
Old 01-07-19, 12:21 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
USDA Certified Clyde here and I ride (IMHO) the best saddle ever created, the Specialized Phenom in a 142 width. “Big guy” doesn’t necessarily mean “wide saddle.” For me, wide saddles rub my inner thighs and cause chafing. Don’t be afraid to try something narrow.

-Kedosto
Old 01-08-19, 04:19 PM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
USDA Certified Clyde here and I ride (IMHO) the best saddle ever created, the Specialized Phenom in a 142 width. “Big guy” doesn’t necessarily mean “wide saddle.” For me, wide saddles rub my inner thighs and cause chafing. Don’t be afraid to try something narrow.
Same thing here, I'm down to 250 but even when I was ~330 I preferred a more narrow saddle.

A local LBS here has a literal barrel of Giant Connect saddles for $10 a pop. All of my bikes are resurrected Craigslist finds and it's been a cheap way to spruce them up. Never had an issue with them, even on long rides.