Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perks for the 55 and older rider?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Perks for the 55 and older rider?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 04:58 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am only 54, but I still got an offer from Nigeria to accept funds for a percentage. Just sent them the $10,000 transaction fee I had to front. Waiting for the funds to be wired to me. Going to use them to get a custom ti bike with eTap. and carbon wheels. Jealous?
I had a similar offer from a Senator here. I can hardly wait for all the things he is going to do for me.
Old 04-06-19, 06:22 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Both my wife and I are retired early in our mid 50’s. She just now only a week into her new found freedom. Getting up every morning and still getting paid is an amazing feeling. Doing pretty much what we want when we want is what we consider living free. No more corporate grind, commutes, or being on the corporate wheel. Hearing someone say I will never retire is sad. Or someone saying I just could never retire because I would get bored with nothing to do is sad as well. Often times it’s because they have really failed to financially plan and just can’t retire.

We take advantage of every perk or discount available.

Last edited by Patriot1; 04-06-19 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 06:35 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Nah, I did nothing for many years, I'm sorry, but it sucks. IMO, YMMV. It's impossible for me to truly enjoy having "free time", if every single day is a day off. That gets old real quick, and can be very tough to break out of. I feel fortunate to have gotten that particular urge (to do absolutely nothing) pretty much out of my system,

Last edited by Lemond1985; 04-06-19 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 07:35 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Disagree strongly. Doing "nothing" every day soon becomes a routine, just like going to work every day was, and you can (very easily) adjust to the new work-free schedule in a few weeks. You adjust your expectations, and have about the same number of "good days" and "bad days" relatively speaking. Boredom becomes an issue and your mind starts inventing problems out of things that didn't used to bother you.

Terrible things the neighbors are doing, real or imagined health issues, noise, finances, relatives, pets, politics, family issues, inactivity, idleness, isolation, relationships with other people, whatever. You will find plenty of things to worry, obsess, and stress-out about. Doing nothing can become every bit as draining as going to work every day. And an idle life without a "purpose" (i.e., going to some stupid job every day) is fertile ground for depression, so it often takes a toll on your mental health too.

So I think "doing nothing" is highly overrated. Don't believe me? Don't get out of bed for a week, and see what happens.
I wouldn't take "nothing" so literally! I doubt anyone means sitting in a chair all day, especially this crowd.
like when you Mom asked "What did you do?" when you were a kid and you answered Nothing, when you probably rode your bike.
Old 04-06-19, 07:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
Regardless of what people tell you, "nothing" is very doable and enjoyable
But if you set you rust. It brings on the old dirt bed much sooner.
Old 04-06-19, 08:17 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Nah, I did nothing for many years, I'm sorry, but it sucks. IMO, YMMV. It's impossible for me to truly enjoy having "free time", if every single day is a day off. That gets old real quick, and can be very tough to break out of. I feel fortunate to have gotten that particular urge (to do absolutely nothing) pretty much out of my system,
Two years from now I will figure who is telling the truth.

I do look forward to retirement and to not have to deal with the officious pinheads at work.

My family, my dogs, my bikes...together with gardening and the much anticipated beekeeping will keep my mind, soul and body engaged.

Watch out Morgan.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevorn.../#7742135adfa5
Old 04-06-19, 08:19 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
This may be a bit off topic but I thought is was a little relevant...

I've been retired for about 2 years now. I had always looked forward to the day and I'm glad it finally came.

One of the things that I've noticed is that many of my friends and work associates always want to know what you've been doing with all your free time. They are usually surprised when I tell them about all the "down time" I experience. They always appear ready to hear about all your adventures, but when you tell them "Yesterday I just kicked back all day" they sometimes seem to have a bit of a problem processing that. I think it's hard for some people to realize that in most cases it's not so easy to stay busy 24/7/365 (not that I'd want to anyway).

There is no shortage of things to do around this house. I enjoy keeping our cars clean and detailed, I enjoy working in my yard. We have 5 or 6 bikes in the garage that can always use a cursory "clean and lube". Suffice to say, there are plenty of things to do around the house that would mimic a full time job. Then there are trips to the gym, the bike rides and walks in the park. But, no matter how I try to fill a day with exercise and chores, there is always some free time.

But I don't let that free time (or free days) bother me. I take pride in the things I've done. I like the feeling of taking a day off and appreciating what I did the previous day. For myself, that feeling of accomplishment is just as fulfilling as the work itself. So, on that day off, read a book, take a nap, invite a neighbor to lunch. Just don't beat yourself up for "stopping to smell the roses".
Old 04-06-19, 08:35 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Obviously, when people here talk about "doing nothing" they don't mean it literally.
Next week is my last week at the job and I certainly look forward to leaving that pressure and enjoying down time despite all of the people warning me that I will be bored.
Old 04-06-19, 08:56 AM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Obviously, when people here talk about "doing nothing" they don't mean it literally.
Next week is my last week at the job and I certainly look forward to leaving that pressure and enjoying down time despite all of the people warning me that I will be bored.
congratulations John. All the people warning you about boredom don't know what they're talking about. Time and again you'll hear retirees say they can't find enough time.

it will feel like a vacation for a couple months. It took me just a month to do all the things around the house I put off doing. Then it took me a while to realize I don't need to rush things any more. Most of us volunteer some time with organizations we like. And if you decide to pick up a part time job go for it, it'll be an option not a necessity.
Old 04-06-19, 03:10 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
The one thing you have to learn after retirement, is to get better at saying "No", otherwise your family and friends will "volunteer" you to help them.......24/7, no lunch, no breaks, lots of overtime but no pay, and no paid vacations.
Old 04-06-19, 06:20 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Congrats man. Have a happy and healthy retirement.

I am right behind you.
Old 04-08-19, 01:14 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Well said. I can retire in December, and imagine biking around making use of all those senior perks. Ride to IHOP, or catch a matinee. It seems LBSs don’t cater to the AARP demographic, at least I haven’t noticed. A discounted helmet, or discounted service would be welcomed. I obviously will no longer have as much discretionary income. As it has been said, I will have time to do my own wrenching. Nonetheless, I’ll continue to keep an eye and seek out the deals.
Old 04-08-19, 01:27 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I'm not aware of any bicycle related discounts for seniors but I do always try to remember to ask at almost any other place I go...It pays to ask.
I’m trying to find a polite and endearing way to ask. Kinda mix massage when you have a multi-$k bike and you asked for a discount for an inner tube or handlebar tape. At one point I could play the poor guy who rode a used bike out of necessity, and bargained haggled. Not some much now, but I imagine being a little frugal soon.
Old 04-08-19, 02:45 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
^^
Just ask. There's nothing to be ashamed of. If it's a company or storewide policy, take it. It's not that you're being cheap, you're taking advantage of something that is rightly yours to take.
Old 04-08-19, 05:05 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
An AARP card at Denny's is good for 15% even off the record menu.

Old 04-08-19, 05:09 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I retired 2 months short of my 54th birthday. I'm now 68. My days are pretty much filled though I admit that a lot of it is cycling related.

Old 04-11-19, 01:29 PM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The city gym is half off for seniors starting at 55.
Old 04-11-19, 08:09 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I'm 55 - Still 12 years working ahead of me; I'm not 'old' just 'older'. No discounts expected for that.
That said - I'm very thrifty. At least for me, now that I'm older only buy what I really need & I don't care to spend money for status anything.
I'll probably ride my bikes until the frame give out; ride my wheels until the rims wear out, and only buy stuff I really need.
I do support my LBS and buy everything there even if on-line is less costly. I just don't buy a lot.
Old 04-11-19, 08:18 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jlmonte

Well said. I can retire in December, and imagine biking around making use of all those senior perks. Ride to IHOP, or catch a matinee. It seems LBSs don’t cater to the AARP demographic, at least I haven’t noticed. A discounted helmet, or discounted service would be welcomed. I obviously will no longer have as much discretionary income. As it has been said, I will have time to do my own wrenching. Nonetheless, I’ll continue to keep an eye and seek out the deals.
I got discounts from my LBS by joining their 'club team'. Usually 20% of retail, 50% service (yes!). I don't buying their kit and representing as I really believe in the shop. Nothing to do with a discount for just being older. I know a lot of guys older than I who an still throw it down. On a lot of rides, at 55 I feel like the young guy. So my LBS does cater to the older crowd a lot. Honestly, I wounder were the younger crowd is sometimes.
Old 04-11-19, 08:56 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'm a couple of years away, depending on the market. Working in the same place for 30 years, I periodically run across now retired colleagues I worked with over that long period. Some seemed like the sort of folks who were so wrapped up in their jobs you might have thought they'd never retire. Every single one that I meet tells me retirement is better than they could have imagined and I should do it as soon as possible.
Old 04-12-19, 06:36 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Blueberry farming a few months in the summer...there is plenty to do in retirement if you are so inclined.

Old 04-12-19, 07:52 PM
big john

Originally Posted by bargeon
congratulations John. All the people warning you about boredom don't know what they're talking about. Time and again you'll hear retirees say they can't find enough time.

it will feel like a vacation for a couple months. It took me just a month to do all the things around the house I put off doing. Then it took me a while to realize I don't need to rush things any more. Most of us volunteer some time with organizations we like. And if you decide to pick up a part time job go for it, it'll be an option not a necessity.
Originally Posted by dynodonn
The one thing you have to learn after retirement, is to get better at saying "No", otherwise your family and friends will "volunteer" you to help them.......24/7, no lunch, no breaks, lots of overtime but no pay, and no paid vacations.
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Congrats man. Have a happy and healthy retirement.

I am right behind you.
Thanks! Today was my last day. They fed everyone and gave me a small bonus, then my boss asked me to stay. Full of anxiety right now but I really needed to get out of there.
Old 04-12-19, 08:46 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Patriot1
Blueberry farming a few months in the summer...there is plenty to do in retirement if you are so inclined.

Oh man those blueberries look yummy. Every morning I put blueberries on my Greek yogurt, but the ones at the market look nothing like those.

I intend to get into beekeeping.
Old 04-12-19, 08:48 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Thanks! Today was my last day. They fed everyone and gave me a small bonus, then my boss asked me to stay. Full of anxiety right now but I really needed to get out of there.
Congratulations my friend, you managed to achieve escape velocity!
Old 04-12-19, 10:24 PM
big john

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Congratulations my friend, you managed to achieve escape velocity!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.