Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Manual. No.??

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Manual. No.??

Old 04-15-19, 12:11 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by Sapperc
This thread is about manuals and specifically the lack of useful information provided to the end user in some instances. Some of us feel that void and would like it addressed.
What I've done to fill that void is to go to the manufacturer's web page for the bike, print it out, and save it.

Note this is only good for a year or two. After that you buy new tires (which may or may not be the same brand, model, or size), and put on a new chain (ditto) and re-cable. A couple years later you may need to re-tape (drop bars), and perhaps change out the cassette. A few years later you may need to replace the brifters, and the original model is not longer available -- it's either change model names, or the same model name now has more gears. Etc., etc. On my 20 year old bike the fork and the brakes are original -- everything else has been replaced.

Again, either get yourself a bike repair book or familiarize yourself with the Park Tool repair site. I know this isn't what you're asking for, but it's what you need to know.

FWIW, does your car manual tell you how to change your struts or brake pads? I don't think the latest ones even tell you how to change your oil!
Old 04-15-19, 12:39 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts

Actually, they do produce maintenance schedules and procedures which I prefer to have. This information is readily available online from every 3rd party component manufacturer but not from Specialized. Also, every part on the frame has a parts number, from the headset parts to the cable guides specific to the frame set which I prefer to have so I don’t have to describe a part to Specialized or an authorized dealer if I need something.

This thread is about manuals and specifically the lack of useful information provided to the end user in some instances. Some of us feel that void and would like it addressed.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And no where in my original post did I say I can't maintain the bike. My question was "Why do bikes not come with a manual."

Sometimes I wish people could read and comprehend. And reply with helpful information. Many of you have. Some have not.
Old 04-15-19, 12:45 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Every manual I've ever gotten for a bike is a generic, covers all models, worthless waste of paper.
Old 04-15-19, 12:47 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
they used to

https://www.ebay.com/i/372030413491?...3D372030413491

I remember reading mine. I think mine was green tho
Old 04-15-19, 12:49 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts

Actually, they do produce maintenance schedules and procedures which I prefer to have. This information is readily available online from every 3rd party component manufacturer but not from Specialized. Also, every part on the frame has a parts number, from the headset parts to the cable guides specific to the frame set which I prefer to have so I don’t have to describe a part to Specialized or an authorized dealer if I need something.

Definitely OCD going on here.
Old 04-15-19, 12:52 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Razorrock
I purchased my first drop bar bike with 105 group set last year. I have ridden bikes all my life and understand shifting. Wondered why I had to click twice to drop down to the small chainring. After owning and riding a couple thousand miles I recently found out that that is "trim" and you can use it when cross chaining to the large gears on rear. Wish I would have known sooner. An Owners manual would have been nice.
So it wasn't a common sense thing when you would notices the chain rattling on the front derailleur when you were cross chained?
Old 04-15-19, 12:52 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by pdlamb
What I've done to fill that void is to go to the manufacturer's web page for the bike, print it out, and save it.

Note this is only good for a year or two. After that you buy new tires (which may or may not be the same brand, model, or size), and put on a new chain (ditto) and re-cable. A couple years later you may need to re-tape (drop bars), and perhaps change out the cassette. A few years later you may need to replace the brifters, and the original model is not longer available -- it's either change model names, or the same model name now has more gears. Etc., etc. On my 20 year old bike the fork and the brakes are original -- everything else has been replaced.

Again, either get yourself a bike repair book or familiarize yourself with the Park Tool repair site. I know this isn't what you're asking for, but it's what you need to know.

FWIW, does your car manual tell you how to change your struts or brake pads? I don't think the latest ones even tell you how to change your oil!
^^^So much this. Very true about car manuals.
Old 04-15-19, 03:54 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Definitely OCD going on here.

Why.??

Oh ya, I remember now. Because it's not rocket science. Nobody said it was.
Old 04-15-19, 04:30 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And no where in my original post did I say I can't maintain the bike. My question was "Why do bikes not come with a manual."

Sometimes I wish people could read and comprehend. And reply with helpful information. Many of you have. Some have not.
The reason is writing and printing manuals for all the different iterations of the models would be enormously expensive, and each word of them has to be vetted for liability. The reason I put up the link to the Specialized bikes is to show that they have a vetted manual they wrote in 2008, and they aren't going to substantially revise anytime soon.

If you're comparing to a car, btw, the costs of an owner's manual for a car is a much smaller percentage of the purchase price than one for a bike would be.
Old 04-15-19, 06:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Bicycles are so simple to use, they don't need an operating manual.
Old 04-15-19, 06:52 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Got some generic warranty booklet with my Specialized, and nothing with my Colnago.
Old 04-15-19, 07:13 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/contact-us
Not sure anyone at BF can answer your question to your satisfaction but the friendly folk at Specialized probably can.

Last edited by hillyman; 04-15-19 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 01:02 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
The Owners’ manuals that come with most consumer products, including bikes, contain only the most basic operating information and are primarily for the consumer information/warranty and warnings.

Bicycles contain so many 3rd party components that it would become a massive effort to include every possible variation. Does it have an FSA headset or Shimano? KMC chain? Are the tires Specialized, Schwalbe or Kenda?
Thats why the owners manuals typically say to take it to the shop.

Anecdotally, I bought a (used) road bike, a Mercier-branded BD. It came with a box of spares that included all the little Shimano component setup insert sheets , FD, RD, Brifters, pedals, but no ‘bike’ manual. Not that I cared, since I’d bought it for parts, but those little Shimano instruction sheet were useful during the driveline swap.

Besides, after the initial setup, a bike really doesn’t require a whole lot of service besides tire pressure and chain lube. I know here at BF we trend heavily towards OCD perfectionists, but the majority of bicycle owners don’t know or care.

Some types of equipment, like gas-powered tools ie; chainsaws and trimmers, and things that require frequent attention like motorcycles, have much more detailed service information.
Most bicycles don’t really fall into that category.
Old 04-16-19, 01:59 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Agree with most of the comments in this thread. If I'm very lucky then I'll get a generic manufacturer's manual that isn't of much use and some component manufacturer leaflets, which can be useful.

One of the first things I do with a new bike is take photos of all of the torque setting markings on the various bolts around the bike, and the tyre pressures marked on the tyre sidewalls. That generally gives me something to check and adjust as necessary before a first ride.

Most useful info can be found on forums and manufacturers websites.
Old 04-16-19, 08:29 AM
prj71

Why.??

Refer to post 35 and 38.
Old 04-16-19, 08:35 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Why.??

It is Specialized.

The manuals usually are filled with liability disclaimers.

Since they didn't provide it, you should sue them, much like they sue the rest of the world.
Old 04-16-19, 08:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Bicycles contain so many 3rd party components that it would become a massive effort to include every possible variation. Does it have an FSA headset or Shimano? KMC chain? Are the tires Specialized, Schwalbe or Kenda?
Thats why the owners manuals typically say to take it to the shop.
This is the simple answer, and it has been explained to the OP several times. The fact that he comes off as if he doesn't understand it makes me go "Hmmmmm?"

Peace. Out.
Old 04-16-19, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is the simple answer, and it has been explained to the OP several times. The fact that he comes off as if he doesn't understand it makes me go "Hmmmmm?"

Peace. Out.

Sometimes I think people who start threads are expecting about 100 "I know, right?" responses.