Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Why you guys prefer ebike to bike?

Old 05-18-19, 01:47 AM
Frankenbike27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Because deer cross in front of you with their tails down, on a dirt bike they run! besides e-bikes make a better world for them, you know, global warming
Old 05-18-19, 01:48 AM
Frankenbike27

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice bike!
Old 05-18-19, 06:47 PM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ging
I am very interested in your conversions, do you have any pictures, was it very difficult to convert?
There was a learning curve for me as I didn’t know how to solder, but if I had bought motor and battery from the same supplier I would not have needed to solder on matching power wire connectors. I needed to buy some tools, watch a lot of YouTube videos, and added a lot of accessories. The bike started out as a 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST, I tow a trailer at the weekends and commute to work during the week.

Last edited by Dewey101; 05-18-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 04:14 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Three days ago I became the proud owner of a second ebike - a carbon belt drive Giant La free E+1. My first pedal assist, purchased solely as a recreational bike. The maiden ride was a day later at a charity bike ride, and by the end of the ride both the bike and I had found our sweet spot in the partnership. Yup, was still sweating and a touch tired at the finish, and very pleased that my "happy place" level of assist would allow for at least 60+ miles from the battery, and that my body was still comfortable (ie: no pain in any joints). No more worries about dealing with chains - the belt drive is breathtakingly silent and clean. The motor is also completely silent, just like my electric car, and very attentive to being available exactly when I need it. I can easily pick it up (with the battery taken off) and put it inside the Prius, and so it rides nicely inside the car (with front wheel on, too) which makes me happy. (I still have to see if it fits inside the electric car, intact). And the colorful Key West panniers I designed and created for going shopping on my Key West one speed cruiser fit perfectly on the new ebike. I'm already eagerly going through the upcoming charity cycling events this summer and fall, picking out the ones I want to attend. I will be riding the new bike today after I chauffeur my husband to and from a three hour meeting and wait out the those hours happily pedaling around the local community, exploring their streets and admiring the suburban yards and gardens.

For me, it is all about enjoying the ride, enjoying my bike, and enjoying the continued ability to still happily pedal down the roads and bike paths.

I'm using my converted throttle hub drive ebike (another Giant) for road litter cleanup - the bike stays attached to the trailer that carries the orange litter bags. Last month I was VDOT's Adopt a Highway "Highway Hero", featured in their online newsletter with a writeup of my years being part of the federal and state Adopt a Highway program as well as our county's litter control program, with a photo of my ebike pulling its litter bag trailer. That ebike allows me to comfortably travel miles and miles of our gravel and paved roads, picking up litter while the bike does the heavy lifting towing the trailer and "flattening" the hills. The end result is a pleasant ride for me and pristine roads for everyone to enjoy. I can't do that substituting a car (no place to park it within reasonable distance), or walking on foot carrying an increasingly heavy bag of trash, or riding a non-assist bike pulling a trailer. Tried. Didn't work.

The two ebikes give me the ease and freedom to do what I want, and still enjoy the same happiness I had as a kid pedaling my single speed down the road to find new adventures, just me and my bike.

PS - saw quite a few ebikes at the last charity ride, including e-trikes, all converted and quietly unobtrusive. Lots of big smiles from those riders, and lots of deep interest from former riders attending the event, standing on the sidelines, who really wanted to get back into biking but had medical or injury reasons preventing them from using a pedal only bike. It was nice to see the interest generated by the ebikes.

Last edited by momsonherbike; 05-20-19 at 04:40 AM.
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 05-27-19, 05:52 AM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'm not interested in trends. I ride an e-bike because my health is less than it once was, so I can't ride a regular bike more than a few miles. My doctors tell me it's still good exercise.
Likes For foothillbilly:
Old 07-23-19, 08:56 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a longish commute and live in a hilly area. It's shortened my commute and I'm not so tired. I also just enjoy being outside and riding. I don't necessarily ride for fitness. I still have a non assisted mountain bike that I love to ride. It's almost as heavy as my ebike. I greatly enjoy my ebike just as much as any other bike I've owned and I'm thankful it gets me outside to ride. My ebike has larger tires and lights which makes it's safer and more comfortable. I wish I had gotten an ebike sooner.
Old 07-23-19, 09:07 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
An e-bike is a tool just like any other. Sometimes it's the best tool for the job. I ride my bike without motor every day for exercise on a measured distance ride. I also use my bike(s) as a car, since I sold my car, and sometimes when the ride is fairly flat and I'm not carrying much or time isn't an issue, I ride my regular bike, too. Other times, I've got 40lbs of dog food in the trailer, or I am meeting someone and don't want to be sweaty and do want to be on time, so I add the motor to my bike. Or I want to ride someplace that has hills beyond what my doctor allows for my osteoarthritic knee, and I don't want to ride one day and be off the bike for a week after due to pain, so I will add the motor and still get to enjoy the same fabulous views. Right tool for the job, for me, at this point in my life. As the right tool situation changes, I'm prepared to adjust with it, too.
Old 07-25-19, 02:06 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
No preference really, I embrace both :-))

However, my main commuter is – by preference – an e-bike. Stubborn as I am sometimes, I enjoy riding an e-bike without assistance. Because I see it as an enjoyable challenge, training. But an e-bike is especially useful in windy conditions. So I accept the e-bike concept. As long as remains a bike so to speak.

When not commuting, I mostly choose a regular bike. Because those feel more bike if you know what I mean.
Old 07-26-19, 03:01 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
An update, I have ridden a regular bike to work for two months. My commute is 12 miles, going to work took me on my best days 50 mins and sweat, going home took me 70-80 mins, uphill and against wind. I have since purchased a mid drive ebike and now I can commute 50 mins both ways consistently, I save about 5 mins if I use level 3 assist. The benefits are I am not as tired on my days that I don't commute and I ride my regular bikes on my days off. My recovery is better and I enjoy myself on the bike more.

I am diabetic and riding has allowed me so far to lose 15 lbs and reduce my insulin intake by about 50%. I hope to lose 100 lbs by next summer commuting every other day. We will see. I'm curious to see how the ebike performs in cold weather. I'm thinking about getting a hub drive ebike to compare the two hub drives vs mid drive.
Likes For alloo:
Old 08-28-19, 01:50 AM
Manu431

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
For a fit person, no needs to purchase an ebike.
My son goes quicker on his travel bike as I can go with an ebike.

But, as I said in another thread, it is NO surprise that ebike is becoming so popular.
The fact is, that at least in Europe, they are the modern version of all the moped 45 km/h we all have known and used (Peugeot 103, Motobecane, Piaggio, Vespa, ...)., or Velosolex 25 km/h
The young people or people not in a hurry, commuters, ......doesn't have that anymore, they have Ebike.

I can not speak for USA, but at least in Europe it has always be very very common to use such moped / Velosolex daily, and this is exactly what an Ebike offers, in the same speed range.
You can carry everything , go easily into the city, carry the kids on a trailer, ....

I don't care if a guy with a road bike overtake me at 50 km/h. We are not doing the same thing, with the same goal.
Ebike is the future of bicycle, for sure.
Old 08-28-19, 02:00 AM
Manu431

Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
They could have been my parents in the 70's

Is it the same use as a lot of people do of ebike, or not ?
Old 08-28-19, 02:39 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
ebikes let 65 yr old overweight me still ride up up the hill I live on without dying.
Old 08-29-19, 06:01 AM
ThisGuy500
Woodsman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slomoshun
Hills, time, sweat
Every other street in my town is a steep hill. Unless you have the most fit legs ever 40 percent of my commute is walking my standard bike up hill. Now my standard bike is only for hardcore mountain biking.
Old 09-02-19, 12:57 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I ride an eBike because it allows me to choose how much I want to stress my body without constraining how fast I go. Biking for me is about fun combined with fitness. The eBike gives me the tool to fit both in to my satisfaction. My personal philosophy of fitness doesn't focus on cardio. I have another sport that I've been participating in all my life life provides a full body workout. So cycling isn't a critical source of fitness for me.
Old 09-02-19, 09:56 PM
pakman3999

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gotta drive around town for my job, its actually faster and it saves me gas money, and gets me exercise
Old 09-09-19, 09:46 AM
Anthony8858

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Cannondale Quick 4 ( 2019)... Been riding my whole life..
However, 61 years old took a significant toll on my ability to spend a long day out on the bike.. I also live surrounded by moderate hills and they would kill my ride.
A couple months ago I purchased a Cannondale Quick NEO e-Bike.. It most certainly extended my ride and made it that much more enjoyable..

But WAIT, the story gets better!!!!
I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and am fighting the battle of my life... Because of the pedal assist, I'm able to take a ride without the anxiety of running out of energy..
Im still riding because of my Cannondale Quick NEO.
And it fits on my bike rack for getting to the scenic parks.
Likes For Anthony8858:
Old 09-09-19, 12:01 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Very nice bike! Looks like a well made product. Enjoy it.

I also wish you the best in getting your health back in order. See yourself as a healthy person every moment you get and very important, keep having fun with life.

Originally Posted by Anthony8858
I have a Cannondale Quick 4 ( 2019)... Been riding my whole life..
However, 61 years old took a significant toll on my ability to spend a long day out on the bike.. I also live surrounded by moderate hills and they would kill my ride.
A couple months ago I purchased a Cannondale Quick NEO e-Bike.. It most certainly extended my ride and made it that much more enjoyable..

But WAIT, the story gets better!!!!
I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and am fighting the battle of my life... Because of the pedal assist, I'm able to take a ride without the anxiety of running out of energy..
Im still riding because of my Cannondale Quick NEO.
And it fits on my bike rack for getting to the scenic parks.
Likes For edwong3:
Old 09-09-19, 03:05 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
I have ridden mopeds in my youth as well as bicycles. I have been car less for 14 years now by riding a motorscooter. I'm considering getting a ebike to get in better shape. I am diabetic in my mid 50s and consider the ebike in the no man's land of bicycles, no insurance, bike lanes, lower maintenance costs and a healthier lifestyle. If I was still in my 40s, I would consider a regular bike. I want an ebike but am having a hard time justifying the cost $2000, since I could by a 50cc scooter for that same amount used without the health benefits.

I want a beach cruiser style bike maybe a older person bike. Not sure. I've been hemming and hawing between different bikes, Electra, Sixthreezero, Firmstrong feet forward designs. I think I would start out riding around the neighborhood, then gradually commuting, by catching public transportation for a part of my trip and gradually increasing the ride distance. The economy of riding a bicycle also appeals to me. We will see as I need to get more active, walking helps, but cycling extends the range. Maybe I'll meet more people. Where I live also requires that I store my bike in my 3rd floor condo. Not to convenient

For ebikes I like the Yamaha Cross Connect, Trek Verve+, Blix Prima, Blix Sol. Another commuting choice is that our public transportation doesn't allow bikes over 55 lbs on their bike racks. I am 5'7" 250 lbs, used to swim, and surf a lot, but trying to find my landlocked hobby and passion. I've been inspired by bicycle riders who have no lower threshold for cold weather riding in Denver. I am a four season scooterist. The ebike also appeals to me for aid up hills, possibly extending my range, sort of like insurance.

We will see. Any advice or tips are always appreciated. Thank You.

600 dollars for e-bike from Walmart.

20 mile range on 4 hours full charge.

It is better machinery than the other Walmart bikes.

I try to bike less when the afternoon heat is over 95 degrees.
I use it when my route has head winds over 15+.

I stop less for hydration and sore butt. It is electric assist which gives a 5 mph boost in top gear.
Old 09-09-19, 04:30 PM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony8858
I have a Cannondale Quick 4 ( 2019)... . It most certainly extended my ride and made it that much more enjoyable..I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and am fighting the battle of my life... Because of the pedal assist, I'm able to take a ride without the anxiety of running out of energy...Im still riding because of my Cannondale Quick NEO....And it fits on my bike rack for getting to the scenic parks.
Another who wishes you well in the battle against cancer. You chose a beautiful, elegant partner to help put the fun back into life along the way. Best of luck to you...and may your cycling continue to bring you joy!
Likes For momsonherbike:
Old 09-12-19, 04:37 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12172 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce

ebikes let 65 yr old overweight me still ride up up the hill I live on without dying.
Other than the fact that I am 68, that is my situation. Without the ebike, I just can't ride.
Old 09-16-19, 05:11 PM
4brilliant

Bikes: 1976 Peugeot UO-08

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
well.... living in switzerland for the last 4 months, and having riden both bikes and ebikes here, they certainly help. It's not about fitness as others noted previously. Going to work with a bike and wearing shirt and a tie, ebike is really helpfull, not arriving there sweating and ruining my shirts and trousers.
Likes For 4brilliant:
Old 09-25-19, 01:53 PM
Dan1962

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got me back to riding a bike again. I am more apt to riding a ebike over a regular bike. More fun and if I get a pain in my legs I'm not stranded!
Old 10-23-19, 04:55 PM
shepherd1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
Ebiking has gotten my wife back into biking. She's riding a Specialized Como 3.0. Otherwise, she probably would not go on long rides (20 miles plus).

I just got my 2019 Como 2.0 over the weekend. Looking forward to riding it!!
Old 10-23-19, 04:58 PM
shepherd1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not think it is a preference but a necessity. I am getting up there in age, my ebike keeps me active.
Old 10-24-19, 03:57 PM
newstyle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Pros & Cons of Ebikes

Pros of Electric Bikes:
  • less hard on knees and joints than riding a traditional bicycle
  • won’t get hot riding up hills, won’t struggle riding in the wind
  • get to ride on sidewalks, through parks and in bike lanes
  • don’t need a driver’s license to ride in most cases
  • more upright seating position than traditional bikes can reduce back and neck pain and also gives the rider a better perspective to watch for obstacles and cars
  • cheaper and more environmentally friendly than driving a car, no insurance, no gas (1 mile on an ebike costs just about half of one cent!)
  • helps you avoid rush hour
  • can walk the bike if you’re in a state where driving would be irresponsible or dangerous
  • get fresh air and a friendlier vibe from pedestrians and other bikers, more social than driving
  • ebikes are harder to steal than traditional bikes because many require a key to operate and they are heavier to move
Cons of Electric Bikes:
  • heavier than traditional bicycles
  • more expensive than most mid-grade traditional bicycles
  • harder to move and carry up stairs
  • expensive battery replacement (lead acid lasts a couple years ~500 cycles, lithium ion lasts three to five ~1,500 cycles)
  • tires get flats easier because the bikes are heavy 50+ pounds
  • tires are harder to change, motors and controllers can cost more to fix than traditional bike tune ups
  • less of a workout than riding a bike
  • parking is usually easier and faster on an electric bike than with a car but may be harder than with a regular bike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.