Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you placed your last online order for Shimano stuff & if so, what did you buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Have you placed your last online order for Shimano stuff & if so, what did you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 04:31 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by BobFishell
I know SRAM chains will work with Shimano components, but I'm picky about keeping my drive components kosher. I've always used Shimano chains and I'll keep using them until I can't find them any more. Besides, I bought a package of 30 8-speed Hyperglide pins about 20 years ago, and I still have a lot of them.
The rest of my drivetrain is all Shimano, but the one Shimano chain I tried wasn't as good at the SRAM I'd been using so I stick with them, or the other brand I can't remember now.
Old 05-29-19, 05:00 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Last, not at all, but you can bet I'll be putting off purchases until there's a deal
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-29-19, 05:26 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by neemt
When is the ban coming to EU?
It's not. EU customers can still buy bargain Shimano stuff, while the rest of us now have to deal with local distributors, many of whom make the worst government departments look like sleek, efficient highly-competent organizations.
Old 05-30-19, 06:20 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
F em! I have no issue using Campagnolo and actually prefer it. If I can't get discounted Shimano from the UK sites anymore than I'll just use Campy when I need new.
Old 05-30-19, 06:55 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Before the embargo email from bike-components hit, I was already looking at hydro brake replacement gear. Sunday, I ordered a full SLX setup and some consumables.
Old 05-30-19, 08:17 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisWagner
Before the embargo email from bike-components hit, I was already looking at hydro brake replacement gear. Sunday, I ordered a full SLX setup and some consumables.
Is that for your Bridge Club?
Old 05-30-19, 08:26 AM
ChrisWagner
Sierra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Is that for your Bridge Club?
Yep. The ProMax300s that came with it are adequate but I'm not too confident in how they'll deal with a full load. I pull a trailer sometimes.
Likes For ChrisWagner:
Old 05-30-19, 08:29 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
It's not. EU customers can still buy bargain Shimano stuff, while the rest of us now have to deal with local distributors, many of whom make the worst government departments look like sleek, efficient highly-competent organizations.
And then they have to pay VAT on top of it, which makes it much less of a bargain.
Old 01-06-20, 11:47 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, I'm a bit late to this party.

Wanted to get a cassette and chain to address some drivetrain issues...and all the UK/EU dealers I've used for years now have a note telling me they can't ship to the U.S. Ugh. Guess I haven't had many bike parts needs of late.

On a related note, been trying to track down 1xchainrings to replace the original SRAM Rival X-Sync one. I found that crankset on sale for $75 and now I'm realizing just the rings can be $50-$75. Ugh.
Old 01-06-20, 01:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497

Wanted to get a cassette and chain to address some drivetrain issues...and all the UK/EU dealers I've used for years now have a note telling me they can't ship to the U.S. Ugh. Guess I haven't had many bike parts needs of late.

On a related note, been trying to track down 1xchainrings to replace the original SRAM Rival X-Sync one. I found that crankset on sale for $75 and now I'm realizing just the rings can be $50-$75. Ugh.
Merlin still ships to the US. Or just use ebay.

As for 1x rings, I have used these for 3 our my family's mountain bikes and come in round or oval, depending on BCD. They work fine- https://usamadeco.com/collections/sh...4mm-4-bolt-bcd
Old 01-06-20, 02:16 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Merlin still ships to the US. Or just use ebay.

As for 1x rings, I have used these for 3 our my family's mountain bikes and come in round or oval, depending on BCD. They work fine- https://usamadeco.com/collections/sh...4mm-4-bolt-bcd
Thanks for the reply. Ah, I've used Merlin in the past. I'll check into them. Thanks!

I need a 5 bolt 110 BCD ring for a SRAM Rival 1x crankset. The original is 42 and I think worn out. My Shimano XT RD will only accept up to a 36 cassette, which I have on there. Would like a bit lowering gearing, so wanting a 38 or so. SRAM only lists the rings down to 38, so I'm guessing this is the smallest compatible.

I know you can find them, but like I wrote, they can be $75 and that is what I paid for the entire crankset, so it is a bit hard to stomach for just the chainring.
Old 01-07-20, 05:56 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497

Wanted to get a cassette and chain to address some drivetrain issues...and all the UK/EU dealers I've used for years now have a note telling me they can't ship to the U.S. ... Ugh.
Have you checked AliExpress? I still find what I want at a huge discount direct from China. You'll wait for dispatch/shipping/customs/shipping internal to the U.S., but who cares?
Old 01-07-20, 03:43 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
In the last month as a means of winter overhaul of the stable I've picked up 2 EDCO monoblock cassettes, a Novatec freehub, 2 sets of ENVE wheels with DT Swiss hubs, a RedShift dual position seat post, and matching aerobars, 2 elliptical chainrings, one Rotor, the other AbsoluteBlack.

I did buy a set of PD-M9100 pedals, a RT99 rotor & a Dura-Ace chain. I feel ashamed. I briefly forgot my anger over Shimano's using market influence to stifle consumer choice & artificially inflate prices. It won't happen again.

Thus far, Shimano could have had a lot more of my money. But I guess pedals, a rotor & a chain is just something they'll have to be happy with. There is no shortage of better stuff out there than Shimano has on offer.

Extralight has a crankset I am coveting.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-08-20, 09:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Microshift ranges from "chintzy" to "meh," but I'm hoping that it'll get better. All of my bikes are 9-speed, and by now the only Shimano I can get is Alivio - which is down there with the chintzy Microshift stuff.
Old 01-08-20, 12:29 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
With Shimano finally getting around to enforcing their ban on online stores selling Shimano gear, I had to have a long hard think about what stuff did Shimano make that I might need over the next few years, that I didn't want to pay a massive mark up on, from an LBS, compared to the online prices I have been use to.
I must be living under a rock, as this is the first I have heard of a ban for selling their stuff online? Is that even legal?
Old 01-08-20, 03:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Microshift ranges from "chintzy" to "meh," but I'm hoping that it'll get better. All of my bikes are 9-speed, and by now the only Shimano I can get is Alivio - which is down there with the chintzy Microshift stuff.
Since you mention Alivio, I assume you are referring to MTB. Ive never used Microshift MTB. The road shifters work fine. Accurate and quick shifting, for an incredible price on ebay.
Old 01-08-20, 03:07 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
I must be living under a rock, as this is the first I have heard of a ban for selling their stuff online? Is that even legal?
Of course its legal. Companies can choose how their products are distributed and they can also set pricing parameters. These actions ensure brand integrity, for those who care and feel the brand could suffer without the protections.
Old 01-08-20, 08:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
The ban if that's what it's called, is against one country's set of online retailers, selling to customers who live in another country. The ban isn't against selling online. You can buy Shimano online from lots of US online sellers. UK buyers can buy Shimano from lots of UK-based online sellers. etc.
Old 01-08-20, 09:22 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
The ban if that's what it's called, is against one country's set of online retailers, selling to customers who live in another country. The ban isn't against selling online. You can buy Shimano online from lots of US online sellers. UK buyers can buy Shimano from lots of UK-based online sellers. etc.
Oh, OK.
Originally Posted by ColonelSander
With Shimano finally getting around to enforcing their ban on online stores selling Shimano gear,
This is why I referred to it as a ban.
Old 01-08-20, 10:54 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Although the r9 rear der I put on my son's bike is having a little bi of a rust issue compared to what I would expect from shimano the shifters are quite nice from my experience. I put 1x10 shifters on both my kids' road bikes as they're readily available shirt reach and the kids could shift them easier then sram or shimano. Shifting is crisp, clean and just what you'd want. I've been considering their 11 speed shifters for a future cross build but have only seen 1x11 and I'd want a double. Nice thing about thier 1x11 that they're set to work with shiimano mtb der but are drop bar shifters.
Old 01-09-20, 07:46 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Of course its legal. Companies can choose how their products are distributed and they can also set pricing parameters. These actions ensure brand integrity, for those who care and feel the brand could suffer without the protections.

And, more importantly...it ensures regional distributors like QBP aren't getting cut out of their promised cut.

Because I don't think anyone can sanely claim international sales of Shimano has hurt anyone, even Shimano...other than corporate America like QBP. This move was entirely about keeping them happy.

"It" being defined to mean forbidding cross-national-market sales....Depending on where you live and how anti-consumer the law is...it might be illegal. Not a worry in the USA tho.
Old 01-09-20, 08:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
And, more importantly...it ensures regional distributors like QBP aren't getting cut out of their promised cut.
Because I don't think anyone can sanely claim international sales of Shimano has hurt anyone, even Shimano...other than corporate America like QBP. This move was entirely about keeping them happy.
Yes, the distributors are absolutely helped. Its always interesting to see how some brands and products excel when supplied thru a distribution company and how other brands and products excel when supplied direct to consumer or thru a simplified online retail setting.