Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Aerodynamics/hydrodynamics

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-13-19, 07:18 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Before last year, my main bike was a Giant Defy Advanced with a triangular down tube. When it rained, the flat bottom of the down tube forced water coming off the front wheel to depart to the sides at almost a 90 degree angle, ensuring that shoes were soaked in the rain. Last year, I picked up an old steel Miyata with traditional round tubes. I wondered how the water distribution would be and finally got a chance to find out last weekend. Two major differences stuck out, first the water coming off the front tire is more likely to "wrap" around the round down tube and then run down and drip off the bottom bracket. Secondly, the airflow around the steel bike leads to way more droplets of water hitting the legs. Not sure if this is a function of turbulent airflow around the frame or if the flat down tube prevented it by not allowing water into the frame triangle space.
Old 06-13-19, 08:52 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
I'm super interested & I'm surprised to think the shape of the tubing would have a significant effect compared to other factors that effect water from the front tire. I'm convinced enough water spray comes outward from the tire itself to hit our feet even w/ fenders. but fenders do help a lot

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-13-19, 09:52 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I use these https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho.../p/14381703021

they work pretty well, and keeping toes toasty on cold mornings. Wear them in sockguys wool socks.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.