Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Carbon Steerer - cut tube or spacers above stem?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Carbon Steerer - cut tube or spacers above stem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 09:22 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
One of the things overlooked in this thread is that Carbon manufacture and design has constantly been changing at a great pace over the years. In addition the makeup of a fork and the components that hold it all together on each manufacturer's bike will be different as well.

There is a great difference between the carbon fork on my 2013 road bike and 2017 endurance/gravel bike. The expanders are different, the carbon thickness on the forks are different and I am certain the layup of the carbon is different as well.

Best practice is to stick to the manufacturer's recommendation until you take it all apart and understand the engineering behind it. What works fine on one bike doesn't mean it's going to be the same for all bikes.

-Sean
Old 07-01-19, 09:51 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
I had a carbon steerer tube cut by a good shop, then when I disassembled the bike several years (but not too many rides) later, there were filaments separating from the steerer tube. I would put spacers above the tube to prevent needing to cut it, but probably not more than two inches in height.
Old 07-05-19, 02:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Update.

I went to the LBS from which the bike was bought, which is of course, a Felt dealer. They say that a small spacer (5 mm) on top of the stem is actually necessary, so that the force of the bolt securing the stem does not crush the top of the steerer tube.

When the fork arrives, I'll be bringing it back to this LBS for installation. They do much more work with high end bikes than the first LBS.
Old 07-10-19, 04:20 PM
reburns

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000; 2005 Co-motion Speedster Co-pilot; various non-tandem road and mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
After reading this thread, I posed the question to Advanced Composites, maker of the Wound Up Duo 2 all carbon fork used on one of my tandems. They have no problem with putting spacers above the stem.
Old 07-10-19, 04:27 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In the assembly manual for my R3, it explicitly states not to have any spacers above the stem, as well as the max amount of spacers below the stem. The top of the steerer is supposed to be ~3mm below the top of the stem. I also went full commitment and glued in the aluminum sleeve, because I've seen what an expander is capable of, if it happens to sit below the clamping area of the stem.

I imagine every mfr. has their own recommendations. I know some forks can be run with no expander/insert at all.
Old 07-10-19, 07:59 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Ideally you want the compression fitting centered where the stem attaches to the steerer. So you need to know the length of the fitting. Some are shorter than others. The type of top cap and compression fitting lip determines how much you need to add to the cut on steerer. In this case it was 5mm plus an extra 2mm to the steerer.

In this example you could run it without a top spacer, but using a spacer on top actually centers the compression fitting better. I will also echo the notion that your top spacer did not cause your steerer to fail.

Old 07-13-19, 02:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
In the assembly manual for my R3, it explicitly states not to have any spacers above the stem, as well as the max amount of spacers below the stem. The top of the steerer is supposed to be ~3mm below the top of the stem. I also went full commitment and glued in the aluminum sleeve, because I've seen what an expander is capable of, if it happens to sit below the clamping area of the stem.

I imagine every mfr. has their own recommendations. I know some forks can be run with no expander/insert at all.
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Update.

I went to the LBS from which the bike was bought, which is of course, a Felt dealer. They say that a small spacer (5 mm) on top of the stem is actually necessary, so that the force of the bolt securing the stem does not crush the top of the steerer tube.
Combining these 2 guidances yields what I've always thought was the 'rule'... namely steerer tube cut about 2.5mm above top of stem clamp, 5mm spacer over that 2.5mm. Steerer tube top protected by the spacer that's extending above by 2.5mm. The stem clamp is fully interfaced with the steerer tube.

FWIW, this is also what happens to be in Zinn's book as a "Pro Tip": "If the fork has a carbon steering tube, always place one spacer above the stem. That way, the entire stem clamp is clamped onto the steerer, and there is no chance for the upper part of the clamp to pinch the end of the steerer. This is a good idea for a steel or aluminum steering tube as well."
Old 07-13-19, 06:41 PM
jadocs

Pinching is not an issue with a compression fitting that interfaces with the top of the steerer like the one I posted above. You will note there is a small rim that sits on top of the steerer. It’s impossible to pinch because it makes the top of the steerer solid. This rim is 2mm and adds to the length of the steerer. The type of cap I am using requires 5mm above the steerer to compress properly, which is where the 2mm + 5mm I referenced above comes from.... but it is still optimal to run a spacer above so the fitting is centered in between the clamping mechanism of the stem.
Old 07-23-19, 01:35 PM
78rr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The manufacturer does not have a uniform standard and I will follow the manual of the current accessory for installation.

Old 07-23-19, 02:12 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The issue isn't the spacer itself above the stem but as others have said, lack of support for the stem inside the steerer when using short expansion plugs.

If the expansion plug does not extend far enough down into the steerer then the bottom of the stem can crush the steerer. Steerers are constructed with fibers running along the length of the tube. They are very resistant to bending loads but not at all resistant to crushing loads. It only takes 1 or 2 percent elongation to start cracking the fibers.

An example is below. The Specialized plug is on the left. The Enve plug is on the right. The Enve plug may not be long enough to support the inside of the steerer at the bottom of the stem.

-Tim-
Old 07-23-19, 03:08 PM
jadocs

That Enve compression fitting looks a lot like mine on my Litespeed. If it is the same that lip is 2mm not 1mm based on me physically measuring it.
Old 07-23-19, 03:16 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

This video explains the issue with steerers and expansion plugs well.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-23-19 at 03:38 PM.
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-23-19, 03:19 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by TimothyH
There are some who go so far as to remove compression plugs entirely after clamping the stem. I wouldn't. Two percent elongation is all that's required to crush the fibers. That isn't much and the steerer needs to be supported.

-Tim-
Why the heck would someone do that? I've heard people say the top cap is not necessary after adjusting the headset, but removing the compression fitting? That's kind of dumb, why would anyone remove something that contributes to structural integrity?
Old 07-23-19, 03:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by jadocs
Why the heck would someone do that? I've heard people say the top cap is not necessary after adjusting the headset, but removing the compression fitting? That's kind of dumb, why would anyone remove something that contributes to structural integrity?
To save weight.

-Tim-