Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on the Shimano Nexus Inter-8 after 500 miles of light touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Thoughts on the Shimano Nexus Inter-8 after 500 miles of light touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 11:21 PM
gavsaway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ChiapasFixed, that mexico trip sounds great. Was wondering if it was on paved or off road. am off to the himalayas in june, mostly paved but a little off road. Was wondering what your thoughts were on this type of riding using this set up
Cheers
Old 01-08-09, 09:43 AM
ChiapasFixed
hipster traffic dodger

Bikes: IRO Mark V Pro, home made bamboo track bike, eddy merckx corsa extra, Airnimal Joey commute, UGADA Tikit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gavsaway
ChiapasFixed, that mexico trip sounds great. Was wondering if it was on paved or off road. am off to the himalayas in june, mostly paved but a little off road. Was wondering what your thoughts were on this type of riding using this set up
Cheers
hmm, not sure what setup you mean. On my Airnimal Joey I run a 42 toth chainring with a 16 tooth cog, but this is using 24" wheels. This ratio has proven very versatile both on paved roads, packed dirt, and light gravel. I have 40mm tyres on there, so I cant really cope with too much loose gravel or mud but it handles fine on most unpaved roads and paths. I have been repeatedly impressed with the climbing power of the lower gears on the nexus. Maybe its the 24" wheels, but I constantly find myself making climbs I thought I was going to have to walk up.
If you had proper moutain bike tyres and carried a couple different cogs (16 and 18 tooth maybe?) I have a feeling you could ride most anywhere with the Nexus hub....
this is as long as you are using a chain tensioner with it, or adjusting your chain length every time you switch cogs, although a bike with really long horizontal dropouts may allow enough adjustment for a two tooth cog size difference, if you follow me?
oh, and make sure you know how to use a small allen key to disengage the cable from the nexus for wheel removal, otherwise its a right pain!

Last edited by ChiapasFixed; 01-08-09 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-28-10, 07:39 AM
Derailed

Bikes: Priority Continuum Onyx; Hunter CX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
One last post in this tread because the hub, shifter and HubBub adapter are now for sale.

Four and a half years later, and the setup is still going strong. But, now that I have dedicated touring bike I no longer need the dual-purpose capability. That said, this was a great "experiment" for me, and it added a lot of versatility to my (usually) fixed-gear Cross Check.
Old 07-11-19, 09:11 PM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Found this via a Google search while reading up on these hubs. Thanks!

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...