Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Di2 adjustment help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Di2 adjustment help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 11:45 AM
nickc3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Di2 adjustment help

Hi, so I've just started messing around with adjusting my gears myself. Well, I switched wheelsets and this forced me to do it as its was not shifting correctly. However, no matter what I did., it could not get the granny gear to shift correctly without impacting other gears. What happens is, I shift into granny gear, and after a few revolutions, it jumps into next gear.

I gave up and switched to my original wheelset. I'm pretty sure it worked fine before I adjusted. But now, the same issue is with the wheelset. If I adjust so granny gear works, then the highest few gears are noisy and jump (big ring up front, smallest few in rear).

Is it possible I need to mess around with the limit screws? Or should I Just keep tweaking? Is there a recommended youtube or other instructinal on how to do this. I was exctied that I didn't need LBS for this..but maybe I do?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
Old 07-14-19, 11:53 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by nickc3
Hi, so I've just started messing around with adjusting my gears myself. Well, I switched wheelsets and this forced me to do it as its was not shifting correctly. However, no matter what I did., it could not get the granny gear to shift correctly without impacting other gears. What happens is, I shift into granny gear, and after a few revolutions, it jumps into next gear.

I gave up and switched to my original wheelset. I'm pretty sure it worked fine before I adjusted. But now, the same issue is with the wheelset. If I adjust so granny gear works, then the highest few gears are noisy and jump (big ring up front, smallest few in rear).

Is it possible I need to mess around with the limit screws? Or should I Just keep tweaking? Is there a recommended youtube or other instructinal on how to do this. I was exctied that I didn't need LBS for this..but maybe I do?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
This sounds like Gear Position Control is turned on. It prevents cross-chaining. It is supposed to, unless you turn it off within e-tube

Setup your indexing per the Shimano DM materials
Old 07-14-19, 12:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The first place to start with any Shimano repair or adjustment is dealer manual for your hardware at the Shimano technical documentation website.

https://si.shimano.com.

Find your model, download the dealer manual (DM) and do exactly what it says.

The dealer manuals are very comprehensive and if you follow it carefully and nothing is broken then everything should work fine.

I have the DM downloaded to my phone so that I can look at it in the garage.

-Tim-
Old 07-14-19, 03:00 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
It’s obviously something your doing wrong since it now has the same problem with the original wheels. I also recommend downloading the dealer manual referenced above. You probably need to start from scratch.
Old 07-14-19, 04:11 PM
nickc3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
This sounds like Gear Position Control is turned on. It prevents cross-chaining. It is supposed to, unless you turn it off within e-tube

Setup your indexing per the Shimano DM materials
my message was a bit unclear. this isn't for cross chainring. this occurs in small ring up front, granny gear outback.
Old 07-14-19, 06:33 PM
trailflow1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nickc3
my message was a bit unclear. this isn't for cross chainring. this occurs in small ring up front, granny gear outback.
That sounds the like the low limit screw is too tight. If so, the RD will detect it and auto jump to the next cog to protect the motor.

Also check the B-screw adjustment and the top jockey wheel is not too close to the cassette.

The L and H limits screws have to be dialed in near perfect at both ends. Yes you'll need to adjust them correctly. Then if needed, you can do further tuning with the micro adjustment mode, by using the buttons at the shifters to incrementally move the RD to eliminate any chain chatter, but sometimes this step is not needed.

Read the manual properly, watch as many Di2 video's as you can

Last edited by trailflow1; 07-14-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 08:52 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I don't have any advice for you. I know, I know...

But, I have found this website to be a good wealth of information: https://di2center.com/

Hope it helps.
Old 08-17-19, 12:36 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I don't have any advice for you. I know, I know...

But, I have found this website to be a good wealth of information: di2center
Hope it helps.
Thanks for the support, NoWhammies.
I'm adding new content or details to existing content all the time, but if there's anything you're missing let me know and I'll try to get some answers online ASAP*.

*ASAP means soon-but-not-too-soon-because-I-have-a-day-job-and-kid-too-so-time-is-limited ;-).
Old 08-19-19, 11:20 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be caused by a misaligned derailleur hanger - Di2 still bolts to the frame in the same way as mechanical derailleurs, right?
Old 08-20-19, 10:59 AM
RoCou

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Sounds to me like it could be caused by a misaligned derailleur hanger - Di2 still bolts to the frame in the same way as mechanical derailleurs, right?
Yes. Standard installation on the hanger, hanger alignment is the same - unscrew the RD mounting bolt (5mm Allen), place alignment gauge in its place (Park DAG is the classical one), align, remove alignment gauge, re-install RD, making sure the RD sits correctly on the stop notch of the hanger. Failing to do the latter can affect shifting performance (equivalent of mis-adjsuted B-screw).
Old 08-20-19, 11:10 AM
RoCou

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trailflow1
The L and H limits screws have to be dialed in near perfect at both ends. Yes you'll need to adjust them correctly. Then if needed, you can do further tuning with the micro adjustment mode, by using the buttons at the shifters to incrementally move the RD to eliminate any chain chatter, but sometimes this step is not needed.
The shop manual procedure is the other way around - adjust the deraileur offset (done in 5th cog, going to adjust mode, fine-tuning offset), then (and only then) do you dial in the limits. They have to be actually further off than on a mechanical setup, to allow the motor to over-shift. The small cog adjustment, for example, is to hit the derailleur, and then give one turn extra space. If you tune directly to the required position (as you would on a mechanical), the motor won't be able to over-shift and may then drop you to the next gear.
Old 08-21-19, 03:52 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by RoCou
The shop manual procedure is the other way around - adjust the deraileur offset (done in 5th cog, going to adjust mode, fine-tuning offset), then (and only then) do you dial in the limits. They have to be actually further off than on a mechanical setup, to allow the motor to over-shift. The small cog adjustment, for example, is to hit the derailleur, and then give one turn extra space. If you tune directly to the required position (as you would on a mechanical), the motor won't be able to over-shift and may then drop you to the next gear.
Yeah, first do the fine tuing and then the limit screws. The Shimano 6870 manual page mentions this on pages 64/67 (not allowed to post urls yet, but the file is right here: si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-UL0001-03-ENG.pdf)

I also made this mistake and wrote something like "first set up adjustment bolts and then do micro-adjustments".. but that's correct for the front-derailleur only. For rear derailleurs, first do adjustment/fine-tuning and then set the bolts