Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for decent, but economical, ergo mtn grips.......

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-17-19, 07:24 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts

Naturally, there are options all over ebay, but it's hard to tell what's decent and what's junk, and a lot of the ebay vendors will state a big brand name in the title, then in the fine print, say that it's "unbranded", so I was hoping for some recommendations.
I like those larger, odd-shaped ergo grips, and have an aging set on one bike, that came from Performance IIRC, but those seem to be discontinued (as seems to always happen with anything that works great, and doesn't cost a mint).
A lot of the ebay vendors will state a big brand name in the title, then in the fine print, say that it's "unbranded".
BTW, I'm also kinda liking the grips that come with the abbreviated bar ends, but again, it's hard to tell what's what, quality wise.
Anyway, you get the idea.......thanks......
Old 07-17-19, 07:29 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I have to admit that I started with the Ergon branded grips, which I really like a lot. But recently, I've had good success with the Chinese unbranded ergon grips with mini bar ends. The kind that has locking rings to hold the adjusted angle firmly. There's no need to buy the expensive name brand. Make sure that the palm "platform" is the size you think you'll need.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-17-19, 07:37 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Thanks Phil, I was wondering specifically about those generic ergons with the bar ends. These would be going on a hybrid-commuter type bike, for steady-paced, paved road exercise, rather than any aggressive off-roading, so they wouldn't be getting torqued on, I just like having the option to change hand positions (without resorting to a drop bar).
(BTW, any chance you still have a link to exactly what/who you bought from?)

Last edited by Brocephus; 07-17-19 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 08:40 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
No, I don't. They would have been an eBay purchase at least two years ago when I built my wife's MTB. She likes the grips a lot, too.
Old 07-18-19, 07:57 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I love my Claud Butler cork-effect lock-on ergo grips, but they're not the lightest as there's so much solid rubber. Fine for my e-bikes but carbon junkies might wanna consider weight with big rubber mouldings.