Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Robots in your bike lane, coming soon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Robots in your bike lane, coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 09:30 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Since this thread is already geeked to the n+1, may I observe that the Roadrunner reference ... well, the Greater Roadrunner (Geococcyx californianus) is NOT a reptile ...
Thanks for implying I was referring to such false information.

The robot should also do a moderate tasmanian devil maneuver, along with the blinking & meep meep.
Old 07-19-19, 09:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Someone quipped that laws were made to support business first! Going to work one morning and had to go around the Channel 46 truck parked SQUARE in the middle of the MUP. Tech told me, "we will only be here awhile." Told him the 'coverage I could count on' was him getting OFF the MUP! Emailed both the local constabulary and the station. Cue the elfin' crickets.... Earlier this month, Stone Mountain City maintenance trucks parked on the MUP. This past year it has been a fiasco of camera crews (one covering a politician), maintenance and construction morons that have no time or need for laws....
Ball bearings in their valve caps? Give them four flat tires and see if they're going to get to the next traffic accident for a live update.
Old 07-19-19, 09:36 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
The omission of lines slows traffic. Give someone a lane and they'll take it, full assault, no matter what! Blank areas promote caution. Also, the pedestrians and cyclists are told to stop. Because it's a road. They cross when it's safe. No confusion.
Omitting lane lines might slow drivers down, but omitting crosswalks and then not re-creating them virtually in the way the laws in many other places do, is just uncivilized.

Remember that being told to stop and cross only when it is safe is no way in conflict with the laws in civilized countries requiring drivers to stop for pedestrians who are waiting for such an opportunity. It's really only in situations where traffic is required to stop even if no one is there that proceeding without checking is workable. And checking is always advisable.

That sounds like a pedestrian crossing i mentioned earlier. Where a crossing is actually printed on the road with lights.
Flashing lights draw extra attention, but they don't change the legal obligations of drivers. Technically, putting in an actual timed traffic light limits pedestrians, as drivers now have an excuse not to preemptively stop to allow crossing until the light changes state; granted, drivers are more likely to fulfill their obligations at a timed traffic light than they are at a crosswalk, even one with flashing lights.

The key however is that in more enlightened places the crosswalk doesn't actually have to be painted - it is still there in effect at any legal place of crossing, even if not painted.

If you want to argue that not painting anything on the road increases safety, then you need a virtual pedestrian crossing law, too. Or else you need to paint crossings even though you don't paint lane lines.

It makes more sense for a pedestrian to work around traffic than traffic to work around pedestrians - that coming from someone who doesn't even drive..
Only if a society is still prioritizing convenience over safety. Where simply giving pedestrians priority doesn't work for the volumes, you put in a traffic light with actual phases.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-19-19 at 10:33 AM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-19-19, 10:11 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Your insistence that pedestrians should/can cross a road in front of traffic, regardless of road type, in any 'civilised' country is wearing thin.

We do things here in a way that is safe, convenient for all, and works. Deal with it.
Old 07-19-19, 10:27 AM
UniChris

Your insistence that pedestrians should/can cross a road in front of traffic,
Not what I said. I said that there are lots of cases where traffic is required to stop to allow this, either because of specific markings, or because the law in that location paints a virtual marking everywhere it is even legal to cross.

That does that mean that pedestrians should walk into the actual path of the vehicles until they have stopped in accordance with either the law or courtesy.

regardless of road type
Here you are just making things up in total fabrication. I specifically said where it legal to cross. There are plenty of places where crossing is illegal, and plenty of road types it is not legal to be a pedestrian on or near at all.

in any 'civilised' country
That's the one part you got right.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-19-19 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 12:00 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
There is a column for common sense.

Let's say there's slow moving traffic passing a crossing.

Now we do have some uncivilised drivers who will block it, not considering people/cyclists crossing. The vehicles do have right of way, but they're not going anywhere, so of course some will stop completely to give that gap. But we're talking bumper-to-bumper level. You know when that concept kicks in.

I'm trying not to be ignorant to how things are done elsewhere. But having such a varied array of systems wouldn't work here.

See, only 2/3 of people in England are English. Kids, anyway. I know that from schooling stats. We have so many foreigners here that everything has to be black and white. Otherwise it's like Africa, Poland, India and Iran all on one street. And assure you, someone's getting run over.

So this new town, which has so many answers to old town problems, and is an amazing place for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists, does have a rather simple uniform system in place.

We don't cycle on the roads. We're not London. We don't fill the Advocacy of Safety forum with dead cyclists because it just doesn't happen here. We don't have traffic jams. We can wait for a car before crossing because there's a gap behind it. Because we have no skyscrapers. Were not over-built. Traffic isn't gridlocked. We have parkland and wide open space all over town. All heavy traffic is on a separate bypass grid which we negotiate only via underpasses and bridges.

We don't have your problems, we don't use your flawed solutions to those problems. Ironically, the world can learn from us. I say ironically, because the town was built with America's grid town concept in mind. Plus the fact that America are not very switched-on to the rest of the world, are widely considered to consider themselves above us, and take little influence from the 95.7 percent of humans who, you should know, live outside the United States.

Me, I'm interested in how you do things there. But the idea of having a vast array of technicalities regarding the crossing of roads isn't doing it for me.
Old 07-19-19, 01:47 PM
UniChris

But the idea of having a vast array of technicalities regarding the crossing of roads isn't doing it for me.
Having actually been reading through them, your laws on this are far more complex (if sadly more car proritizing) than ours.

In the case of actual zebra crossings there isn't much difference in their actual meaning, it's your rules for unmarked (but legal) crossings which are behind the times.

If the actual goal were simplicity, nothing would be simpler than treating all legal crossings not controlled by a traffic light or traffic agent the same way, as a number of jurisdictions actually now do.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-19-19 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 12:39 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinghis
Well, hopefully not. But The Verge reports that a startup has recently unveiled plans to develop delivery robots for the last mile that use bike lanes instead of sidewalks. Because we obviously have even less political clout than pedestrians. I already have an issue with the e-boarders, uniwheel guys, random parked cars, etc. in bike lanes. Sure, let's add robots that may or may not see the primary users of the lane. Heck, we don't even know how well driverless cars are going to interact with us.
I understand your concern but you may be having a knee jerk reaction. Although it may seem like a bad thing on it's face but many of the other problems, (parked cars, careless users of the bike lane system and, in many areas, lack of bike lanes may be helped. A robot that is programed to use the lane properly is less of a danger than many of the obstructions I've seen carelessly navigating the bike lanes. One of the reasons I avoid bike lanes when possible are because of the ill informed or careless users of said lanes. Maybe the more frequent, proper use of the lanes will chase away the riff raff.😁 Maybe I could draft a robot or even temporarily attach for a extended tow.🤭
Old 07-22-19, 12:53 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I understand your concern but you may be having a knee jerk reaction. Although it may seem like a bad thing on it's face but many of the other problems, (parked cars, careless users of the bike lane system and, in many areas, lack of bike lanes may be helped. A robot that is programed to use the lane properly is less of a danger than many of the obstructions I've seen carelessly navigating the bike lanes. One of the reasons I avoid bike lanes when possible are because of the ill informed or careless users of said lanes. Maybe the more frequent, proper use of the lanes will chase away the riff raff.😁 Maybe I could draft a robot or even temporarily attach for a extended tow.🤭
It cannot be a good thing on its face! The part you are missing is WHEN these things start to outnumber cyclists. To the point where the bureaucrats start thinking seriously about just taking cyclists out of the equation! Domino's et all have real CASH to offer municipalities for the use of their bike lanes. What do you have to offer? Your outrage? Too late then. No, the time to get steamed is now, before the fat cats get a cent of bribe money ... ... damn, it may already be too late ... dead cyclist walking ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 07-22-19, 02:22 PM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It cannot be a good thing on its face! The part you are missing is WHEN these things start to outnumber cyclists. To the point where the bureaucrats start thinking seriously about just taking cyclists out of the equation! Domino's et all have real CASH to offer municipalities for the use of their bike lanes. What do you have to offer? Your outrage? Too late then. No, the time to get steamed is now, before the fat cats get a cent of bribe money ... ... damn, it may spitalready be too late ... dead cyclist walking ...
Wow. Sounds pretty bleak. I guess I've learned to adjust to the changing landscape with a little more aplomb. In spite of the present political landscape I've resisted being quite so pessimistic. Cheer up. We may get killed by a inattentive driver.🤔
Old 07-22-19, 02:34 PM
abhijitpat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Won't that be great to see? Two robots each sitting between the bollards and waiting for the other to get out of the way. Worse than the Chip-n-Dale routine the drivers around here do, trying to give me the right of way when I'm not expecting it. "after you!" ... "no, after you!..."
There's about 25 of these little guys in my wife's school in Northern VA. They need assistance while crossing. Apparently, the also. cannot handle the chaos of pedestrians and cars. They go into manual mode
Old 07-22-19, 04:09 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Fun to disassemble.
Old 07-22-19, 04:37 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Here you go. Won't be long.

This thing is actually pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3vfSQePcs
We don't need no stinking robot....
Old 07-22-19, 04:56 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I can just about get my head around how these robots would use the sidewalk system to get last mile access to local street addresses. I have less ability to comprehend how they might use the cyclepaths and trail systems that exist independent of the main street grid. The law is clear in Oregon. A driver spotting someone who even looks like they are about to enter the roadway must give them 50' of clearance. Sadly, adherence to this law is no longer enforced after it was first introduced. Many drivers found themselves ticketed when the pedestrian they illegally drove past was actually plainclothes law enforcement. You can tell the ones because they actually do give you 50' of room to cross, mid block if it comes to that. I never test it myself but I see others do it all the time. But the trails that cross active roads ... you have to be pretty darn quick. In an area where active road signals are 1/2 mile apart, you might be walking a 1/4 mile out of your way to the traffic light and then 1/4 mile back and that is just too much sometimes. If drivers aren't going to stop for a human being that needs to cross what are the chances they are going to stop for something that looks like an oversize bread machine on wheels? I'll say it again, there is no chance these things will get any traction in the U.S. as long as the Federal Minimum Wage remains at $7.25/hr. If that changes, then, maybe, but they will only be crossing roads that have controlled intersections. They simply do not have enough nous to navigate anything else.
Old 07-22-19, 04:58 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
We don't need no stinking robot....Self Riding Bike
I am so happy I watched that until the end.
Old 07-23-19, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I saw Chuck Jones, famous WB director and creator of the roadrunner, coyote and Pepe LePew, speak back in '95. He told the story of how they came up with the roadrunner sound. (I hear it as "meep meep, while others hear it as "beep beep".) There was a short many who worked in the animation studio at the time. He would walk around the office very fast with stacks of art work in his hand that obscured his vision. To alert co-workers as he rushed around the office he would say "Beeb! Beeb!"

Daffy Duck's voice was a mock of producer Leon Schlessigner, who had a lisp and was, according to Jones, a real a-hole. Jones was still an animator when the character was being created. Jones and a few others went to Mel Blanc and asked him if he could do Leon as a screwball duck. The day came for the first screening. Leon came into the screening room and said, as he often did, "Roll the junk." They all expected to be fired on the spot. Instead, Leon especially loved the voice, having no idea he was being mocked.
That'th dethpicable!
Old 07-23-19, 12:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That'th dethpicable!
My step brother, who eventually ended up in the entertainment industry, got to meet Mel Blanc. Blanc made him a personalized answering machine greeting tape in the voice of Porky Pig.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-23-19, 02:24 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
My step brother, who eventually ended up in the entertainment industry, got to meet Mel Blanc. Blanc made him a personalized answering machine greeting tape in the voice of Porky Pig.
Th-Th-The, Th-Th-The, Th-Th... That's all, folks!
Old 07-25-19, 07:48 PM
NeilBurt

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I Don't get it, how is a grocery store robot linked to cycling?