Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ultimate city e-bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Ultimate city e-bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultimate city e-bike

Hi guys,

I'm having this crazy idea of putting an add-e sports edition motor on a Tern Verge S8i to create the ultimate city bike and avoid having to buy a car. Any thoughts?

Here are the pros:
1. Tern Verge S8i is well built for the city / going to work / transporting groceries in back bags
2. Both the engine and the bike are ultra small so it provides a maximum of convenience (engine is easy to remove too along with the battery) and easy to avoid theft (which is why I chose this engine)
3. The bike has disk breaks and seems more appropriate and cheaper for city riding then the Brampton or other competitors

Here are my concerns:
1. Did tern fix their frame problems
2. Price: are there better alternatives for the total price of like $3500 usd
3. Range: how many miles can I pull off with 160Wh-200Wh
4. Should I buy a motorcycle vest with back padding to minimize the risk of spine injury in the case of an accident? (Downtown Toronto is pretty busy so it is a risk) - If so any recommendations?
5. Speed legality: The engine can go up to 45km/h which is great. It's design is very sleek and hard to notice (battery looks like water bottle and engine is ultra small) if it weren't for the potential noise (friction motor). The power can be adjusted in the battery. If I were to go max speed, what are the chances of me getting pulled over and what would be the repercussions considering it's not quite legal since the Ontario limit is something ridiculous like 32km/h.

Thanks guys,
Peace

Links:
Tern bike: nycewheels.com/tern-verge-s8i.html#tab2
Add-e motor kit: add-e.at/onlineshop/add-e-Sport-Edition_1

Last edited by Ultimate Biker; 03-28-17 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to add links
Old 03-29-17, 08:33 AM
chris@propel

Bikes: Riese & Müller Birdy Speed, Riese & Müller Load

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you considered the Tern Vektron? I think it would be a much more refined and reliable solution.
Old 03-29-17, 09:02 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't see how the friction drive would be able to reach the rear tire due to 406 wheels and the distance to the bb.. maybe they have an adapter plate for small wheels.. beyond that, noisy,much less effective in wet weather, tire wear, small battery, limited range, the 250w rated motor is the same motor as the 600w rated motor, so same low torque with only a top speed restriction removed with additional chip..

The Bosch equipped Vektron is a complete integrated, top rated system.. probably only a couple hundred bucks over a new S8I + add on kit .. if you factor in labor, probably a dead heat..
Old 03-30-17, 03:00 PM
Ultimate Biker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! Very good point. Didn't know this bike existed. Perhaps it is new or something. Still have two questions.

1. Are the tern frames reliable now?
2. I see the Vektron doesn't have the "Gates Carbon Drive drivetrain". Did they cheap out on it or is it because of engineering aka it wouldn't work with the motor?
Old 03-30-17, 04:57 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ultimate Biker
Thanks guys! Very good point. Didn't know this bike existed. Perhaps it is new or something. Still have two questions.

1. Are the tern frames reliable now?
2. I see the Vektron doesn't have the "Gates Carbon Drive drivetrain". Did they cheap out on it or is it because of engineering aka it wouldn't work with the motor?
The frames are completely different.. the Vectron is purpose built to accommodate the Bosch motor and has vertical drops for conventional derailleur... the S8i is purpose built for belt drive with a break in the frame for a belt and dropouts that allow a sliding axle for belt tension.. as there is potential for greater range with a derailleur 1x system as well as less complexity and ease of maintenance, I could understand a derailleur based system for the Vectron ..

I personally have derailleur, IGH, and Hybrid (Dual drive) drivetrains on my mid-drive ebikes..

The boards haven't been lit up with frame failures over the past few months, so there is a pretty good chance Tern has addressed the issue..
Old 03-31-17, 09:24 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I had not seen that brand. Looks pretty good for a folder.

-SP