Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Brown bear with cubs mauls cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 12:21 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I'm so envious of all of you who encounter animals on your rides.

"the bear came across a brown pair with cubs"---oops, sorry, "the pair came across a brown bear with cubs while cycling on a main gravel road near Clunie Lake."

Brown bear mauls cyclist on JBER

Edit: Title messed up. Edit: Thanks mod for correcting my title.

Last edited by vol; 07-08-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 01:26 AM
Cigarguy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A mother who thinks her child is threatened is dangerous regardless of species.
Old 06-26-17, 02:05 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Bear spray actually saved them.

I don't think Timothy Treadwell carried or would have ever used bear spray.

On October, 6th, 2003 a scheduled air taxi pilot arrived at the couple’s campsite to pick them up and take them back home. Unfortunately, once the pilot landed at the site, there was no sign of either Amie or Timothy. However, there was a large bear pacing the campsite area. Upon investigation, the taxi pilot and local park rangers found Treadwell’s disfigured head, right forearm, and partial spine. They also found Amie’s half-eaten body buried under twigs and dirt.

Because campsite rangers believed that the large protective bear was the culprit in the killings, the bear was shot and killed. Following the bear’s death, a full necropsy was completed on the bear. The necropsy revealed that the bear had in-fact attacked, mauled, and eaten both Timothy and Amie. There were several limbs, toes, and fingers found in the bear’s stomach.

Upon even further investigation, rangers stumbled across a video camera at the campsite. While the actual video footage was blank, there was clear sound that had been recorded. The sounds recorded on the video camera were of Amie and Timothy screaming, yelling, and begging for their lives while they were being mauled to death by the large grizzly. The agonizing sounds captured only lasted for about six minutes before the video camera ran out of tape. However, the six minutes of agonizing screaming was long enough to capture all of the horror that occurred during the last few minutes of the couple’s life.

Last edited by SHBR; 06-26-17 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-26-17, 03:09 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
I like the small cans that'll fit in a bottle holder adapter, easy and fast to deploy. Hope I never need it....
Old 06-26-17, 05:17 AM
ad18

Bikes: TREK FX3

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One must always be aware of any animal with young this time of year. Best defense is to make sure you make some noise as you travel, especially by yourself. Let them know you're there and they will usually stay clear. This is the first real year I've rode on remote trails and it is amazing how quietly you travel on a bike. You sneak up on an adult animal with young, they will defend them vigorously. Bears are infamous for it, but others can cause a lot of damage as well. I've seen Canada geese beat down adult dogs very badly. Let 'em know you're there.
Old 06-26-17, 11:38 AM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Bear spray actually saved them.

I don't think Timothy Treadwell carried or would have ever used bear spray.
How horrible.

"and begging for their lives"... begging to the bear?
Old 06-26-17, 12:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Many moons ago I spent about 3 months on a bike tour in the USA and Canada where I had to be worried about brown and black bears. I can not tell you how many beautiful, level, pristine campsites I passed up because there were no tall trees or other provisions to keep my food away from bears. It was a real aggravation. By the end of those three months I would have been delighted to hear that every bear in North America was DEAD. It was a constant source of stress and inconvenience.

Of course I realize that I was a guest in "their home" and not serious about killing all the bears but I gotta tell you...it skewed my caring about bears quite a bit for several years.
Old 06-27-17, 12:41 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Follow the Rules

Having lived with bear neighbors for years and watching how others who similarly live has given me a few rules.

First, don't try to be quiet. When I was by myself and miles from any other humans I was Very vigilant about unexpected noise. By the same token don't make noise that excites curiosity, like bells.

Don't move fast. The cyclists were both quiet and fast.

Basic rule is: You stay out of my nest and I'll stay out of your's. The penalty for violation is severe. Of course there are vandals on both sides.

Lots of alarmist news and city folk comments. In fact humans and bears routinely live in close proximity as long as both respect the other.
Old 06-27-17, 08:47 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I think its safe to say, that most bears are more afraid people, than we are of them.

However, I can't sleep so well in a tent at night if I think there are bears in close proximity.

I have even thought about setting up some motion activated lights, as a sort of early warning system.
Old 06-27-17, 09:52 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Around here bear encounters are frequent. Daily at some times of the year. Almost always black bears although he occasional grizzly is around. We are fortunate that there are almost no hostile interactions, which I put down to a developed tolerance on both sides. The rare 'hostile' encounter is a maximum of a bluff charge - far more likely just a wuff or growl. But I know there are no guarantees!

Early this spring I encountered a mother and two cubs on a trail. The cubs ran off to the left and mom to the right. I stopped a little way down the trail and stopped two bikers and told them to wait. A few seconds later mom popped out of the bush and crossed the trail to where the cubs had gone. We waited a few seconds for the happy reunion and then everyone went on their way without any fuss.

I still carry bear spray but despite my many bear encounters I've never had to use it; and hope I never do.
Old 06-27-17, 12:00 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cigarguy
A mother who thinks her child is threatened is dangerous regardless of species.
Usually.
Old 06-27-17, 01:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Being mauled and then eaten by a brown bear is the most terrifying way to go!
Probably go into shock pretty fast. At least it would be a "natural" way to go unlike getting hit by a car. And I believe you have to be pretty darned unlucky to get yourself eaten by a bear.

I won't be riding in any bear country for sure!
I gave up riding around cars instead. Just playing the odds. Reminds me of how some people are terrified of flying but will drive/ride in an automobile without a second thought even though the odds of dying in an airliner crash is statistically ZERO. About the same as getting eaten by a bear actually. I do agree that staying away from bear country lowers the risk substantially to an ACTUAL zero percent chance.
Old 07-05-17, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,523 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I think its safe to say, that most bears are more afraid people, than we are of them.

However, I can't sleep so well in a tent at night if I think there are bears in close proximity.

I have even thought about setting up some motion activated lights, as a sort of early warning system.
Just got back from a two-week, self contained tour in NW Montana (with one day in ID) that included two days in Yaak and two days in Glacier, both of which are big black and grizzly country. Most places I stayed were in bear country. And I have spent countless other nights in bear country while touring and seven days backpacking the backcountry of Glacier. Never felt the least bit nervous.

Those of you who think they are out there waiting to attack you are simply incorrect. They don't want anything to do with humans. They will defend themselves and their young if they feel threatened. Other than that, they will mind their own business and avoid you unless enticed by food. Keep a clean camp, use bear boxes, which can be found in many U.S.F.S. campgrounds in bear country, or hang food, etc., properly.

I consider it lucky to even catch a glimpse of one, like this guy I saw during a day ride in, of all places, New Jersey. He was on the side of the road and made a hasty retreat into the woods when he heard us coming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BLACK BEAR.jpg (91.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-05-17, 07:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,523 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I won't be riding in any bear country for sure!
Awesome! More space for those of us who are informed.
Old 07-07-17, 09:10 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Probably go into shock pretty fast. At least it would be a "natural" way to go unlike getting hit by a car. And I believe you have to be pretty darned unlucky to get yourself eaten by a bear.

I gave up riding around cars instead. Just playing the odds. Reminds me of how some people are terrified of flying but will drive/ride in an automobile without a second thought even though the odds of dying in an airliner crash is statistically ZERO. About the same as getting eaten by a bear actually. I do agree that staying away from bear country lowers the risk substantially to an ACTUAL zero percent chance.
Bit of an aside...

I suspect that folks that are afraid of flying aren't thinking of the potential for a crash, but are instead just afraid of heights, or the idea of heavier than air flight, or of being in a tube with a bunch of strangers.