Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Vacay in AZ

Old 03-10-18, 09:53 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Vacay in AZ

I made it out to Tucson again. Last year i didn’t ride but I am this year. Rented a road bike and will get in 2, maybe 3 rides before returning it. It is a size smaller than my bike at home in WI, so the seat is above the bars instead of even. Did 2 hours in “The Loop” yesterday and my back is sore. Some ibuprofen today and I should be good to go. Pistol Hill was recommended by the bike shop. Gonna be another 80 degree day! Let’s Ride!

Last edited by dannwilliams; 03-10-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-10-18, 08:58 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Enjoy! I enjoy riding in Tucson. I wish we had those temps!

We love Guadalajara Mex Restaurant on Prince Ave if you get the urge. Salsa made fresh table side.
Old 03-10-18, 09:36 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You're a lucky man! 35 degrees here!
Old 03-10-18, 10:11 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Enjoy! I enjoy riding in Tucson. I wish we had those temps!

We love Guadalajara Mex Restaurant on Prince Ave if you get the urge. Salsa made fresh table side.
Did that! Went to the Kolb Rd location. Great food!
Old 03-11-18, 10:58 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Raining a bit here this morning, still in the mid 60's at 9:30. I'm thinking about going out in an hour or so for a short 24 miles.
Old 03-11-18, 03:14 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Returned the bike today. I could have used a size bigger, my back can’t handle seat being so high above the bars. I did the route recommended at Broadway Bikes, from Saguaro East up and over Pistol Hill, then back and thru the park. Over 30 miles with almost 2000’ of elevation gain. That being day 2 of the 2 day rental and my back saying enough I am happy. Next year I think I’ll ship my bike down with bikeflights.com. Then I’ll have a bike that fits for a whole week and can get in all the riding I want. Go back home first thing Tuesday morning.
Old 03-11-18, 03:43 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Next year I think I’ll ship my bike down with bikeflights.com. Then I’ll have a bike that fits for a whole week and can get in all the riding I want. Go back home first thing Tuesday morning.
PM sent.
Old 03-12-18, 10:30 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
I did the route recommended at Broadway Bikes, from Saguaro East up and over Pistol Hill, then back and thru the park.
That's a great loop. I've been visiting Tucson at least once a year to cycle for the past decade, and always make it a point to ride in Saguaro National Park East. Funnily, I only just discovered Pistol Hill last year; whenever I used to ride out on Old Spanish Trail I would pass by Pistol Hill obliviously and continue to Colossal Cave, then turn around and ride back on Old Spanish Trail. Kinda boring, and always subject to headwinds in at least one direction. Pistol Hill really breaks that up nicely, plus adds that sweet descent into Loma Alta.

Did you rent the bike from Broadway Bicycles? If you don't want to bring your own next time, you might want to give Cycle Tucson a try. They have a good selection of different sized bikes plus they'll do whatever they have to (swapping stems or saddles etc) to get something to fit.
Old 03-12-18, 03:32 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I think a big part is to bring your own saddle & pedals
& maybe an adjustable stem too.

But yea,
Nothing is gonna beat having your bike
Old 03-14-18, 08:25 AM
RVwriter

Bikes: 2017 Giant Cypress 24-speed & 2017 Giant Escape 21-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Dann, before you got to Tucson next year, if you'll send me an e-mail, I'll give you the phone number & e-mail of my biking buddy who goes to that area every year and ends up not riding because he doesn't like to do it alone. He's same age I am, 79. Like me, he's lost some of his speed over last couple of years. Like you, he rents a bike, but I don't think he knows about bikeflights.com. I'll clue him in. His name is Paul, and he's a retired clergyman (don't let that put you off 'cause he can out-cuss you if he wants!). My email is rvwriter@msn.com. Name Don.
Old 03-15-18, 02:28 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Transporting your bike

Before paying a freight company to transport your bike to your vacation destination check with your airline.

My favorite airline, Alaska Air, considers a bike in a purpose built container luggage. That means it costs the same as a suitcase. In many cases that means Free.

Maybe other airlines do the same.
Old 03-15-18, 04:40 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Before paying a freight company to transport your bike to your vacation destination check with your airline.

My favorite airline, Alaska Air, considers a bike in a purpose built container luggage. That means it costs the same as a suitcase. In many cases that means Free.

Maybe other airlines do the same.
I know it never hurts to check. The one time I took it in the plane cost me $80 or $100 each way! That’s why I started renting. Only 2 airlines fly directly to Tucson from Minneapolis.

Last edited by dannwilliams; 03-15-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-19-18, 08:44 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Just got back from Sedona AZ and driving through Tucson was fun with 50mph gusts. They shut down I10 outside of Tucson and traffic was diverted via the scenic route through AZ to New Mexico then back to I10. Dust was so thick it was a smart move to close that section of the interstate.
Old 03-20-18, 11:13 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
I made it out to Tucson again. Last year i didn’t ride but I am this year. Rented a road bike and will get in 2, maybe 3 rides before returning it. It is a size smaller than my bike at home in WI, so the seat is above the bars instead of even. Did 2 hours in “The Loop” yesterday and my back is sore. Some ibuprofen today and I should be good to go. Pistol Hill was recommended by the bike shop. Gonna be another 80 degree day! Let’s Ride!
Lucky stiff...I/we are thinking of retiring somewhere in Az. Wife hates the cold with a passion and Tucson seems like it is nice and hot. Not to mention that it fits the bill as a cycling mecca which is what I am looking for.

Maybe next year I will get out there to do El Tour de Tucson in November. This year looks like I will have to stay in the East an maybe do the Horrible Hundred in Florida in November. Tucson is on the short list though.

john
Old 03-20-18, 06:48 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Nice stories about Tucson area riding!
Have lived in the area for 40 years . . . at ages 85 and 83 we still ride our tandem about twice a week and I ride my racing bike another 4 or 5 days a week.
What's not to like?!
Old 03-20-18, 11:30 PM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
We are first timers in Tucson for 2 weeks now. I spent the first week Mt Biking and this week riding The Loop. It truly is a cycling Mecca. Looking to Winter here next year.
Old 03-21-18, 07:55 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I just checked out The Loop (Tucson) now it is on the list for some winter riding.
Old 03-21-18, 09:03 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Lucky stiff...I/we are thinking of retiring somewhere in Az. Wife hates the cold with a passion and Tucson seems like it is nice and hot. Not to mention that it fits the bill as a cycling mecca which is what I am looking for.

Maybe next year I will get out there to do El Tour de Tucson in November. This year looks like I will have to stay in the East an maybe do the Horrible Hundred in Florida in November. Tucson is on the short list though.

john
I lived in Tucson for six years. (Yea I know about Mt Lemon, I rode it hundreds of times) I did not make friends there and it ends up being too hot there in the summer for me. After a lot of exploring, I ended up moving to the smaller, slightly cooler town of Globe. While Globe does not have the cycling culture like Tucson does, in my opinion the cycling opportunities are actually much greater. For openers, there is the 188 which starts out like an abandoned runway with ridiculously wide shoulders and very little traffic. There is also the 60 which heads out to Show Low. There is also the 70 and 77 which take you out of town. Mountain biking is fantastic with the Pinal mountains towering over the town. Did I mention that housing is cheap here?
Old 03-21-18, 11:13 AM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
I lived in Tucson for six years. (Yea I know about Mt Lemon, I rode it hundreds of times) I did not make friends there and it ends up being too hot there in the summer for me. After a lot of exploring, I ended up moving to the smaller, slightly cooler town of Globe. While Globe does not have the cycling culture like Tucson does, in my opinion the cycling opportunities are actually much greater. For openers, there is the 188 which starts out like an abandoned runway with ridiculously wide shoulders and very little traffic. There is also the 60 which heads out to Show Low. There is also the 70 and 77 which take you out of town. Mountain biking is fantastic with the Pinal mountains towering over the town. Did I mention that housing is cheap here?
Thanks for the tip. Tucson is like a marker. I can live in another smaller city/town without a problem, and yes, we'd like to save some money too.

We both like hot weather so we are not all that scared about the heat. We just need to find a nice community and nice house that would fit our budget. Ohh, and of course it has to be bike friendly.

john