Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Lezyne new GPS units look interesting

Old 07-24-18, 11:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I was interested until someone posted that turn by turn requires use of a phone. That would explain the battery life. Mostly.
All the phone is needed for is to send the turn by turn navigation directions to the GPS via blueooth. Once you send it, you can unpair the phone from the GPS.
Old 07-24-18, 11:39 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Guideme
I have just got a Lezyne Super GPS Enhanced. Working my way through the set up and the display shows the field numbers ( speed, distance etc) as small numbers down the right side of the screen. Difficult to see when riding. The manual however shows large numbers down the centre of the screen. Nothing I can find in the manual to correct this. Any ideas out there to fix it?
Use the Lezyne App on your phone and set up your pages with as many or few fields that you want. The less fields there are the bigger the numbers. There is also an option in the settings menu for large or small font.
Old 07-25-18, 01:25 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
All the phone is needed for is to send the turn by turn navigation directions to the GPS via blueooth. Once you send it, you can unpair the phone from the GPS.
You sure about that? It was my understanding that there is two ways the unit operates. You can stay on line with your phone and transfer the TBT directions thru BT or you can down load the map into your phone, then go off line. At that point I'm still thinking the unit has to be connected to the BT in your phone if you want turn by turn although I might be wrong about that. That said if I decide to buy something like this I'm not going to be satisfied until I get the answer directly from Lezyne ( unless of course someone here has one and knows for sure how it works ).

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 07-25-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 02:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
not sure what good the map is without the turn by turn. And turn by turn is no good if it requires a phone. I really want to like these devices, hopefully someone that likes taking risks will buy one and let us know. Specifically, somebody that rides for 48 hours at a time .
Old 07-25-18, 02:33 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Please, get one, try it out, and report back soon! Need to know before Christmas (when it's cold here!).
Jenson USA shows it in stock.
Old 07-25-18, 06:19 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
You sure about that? It was my understanding that there is two ways the unit operates. You can stay on line with your phone and transfer the TBT directions thru BT or you can down load the map into your phone, then go off line. At that point I'm still thinking the unit has to be connected to the BT in your phone if you want turn by turn although I might be wrong about that. That said if I decide to buy something like this I'm not going to be satisfied until I get the answer directly from Lezyne ( unless of course someone here has one and knows for sure how it works ).
Yes I'm sure. I own a Lezyne GPS.

Once you send the TBT directions to the GPS via blue tooth you can unpair the phone from the GPS.
Old 07-25-18, 08:00 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Once you send the TBT directions to the GPS via blue tooth you can unpair the phone from the GPS.
Unless you go off course, of course. Then the phone will be needed to reroute you.
Old 07-25-18, 08:10 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes I'm sure. I own a Lezyne GPS.

So if you down load a map from the Lezyne site ( or another like RWGPS ) to your phone ( app ), you then down load the map ( including turn by turn prompts ) into the unit via BT and at that point you have no to need to be connected to the unit with your phone (?)...okay sounds good to me. Do you think it would be possible to download a planned route from the Garmin website and somehow get it to run on the Lezyne? It does sound a bit complicated but then again so is my Locus app. I just wish I could order from REI but it seems REI is no longer carrying the Lezyne line of GPS units. Jenson only had a few of these left but truthfully I hate ordering from places like Jenson. Damn, I found a place to buy one but right now I'm already spending a bit of money on some other things I really want more. I'd love to own the Mega XL but it will have to wait till I see how much of a hit the other stuff I'm buying is going to do to my bank account.
Old 07-25-18, 09:24 PM
Sdjclevland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I order one it will be here Thursday so we will see how it is
Old 07-26-18, 04:41 AM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The use of your phone for navigation and loading third-party routes is covered here:By the way, the route creator on the Lezyne website is a bit... rough around the edges. The best workflow for making a route IMO is to create it on RideWithGPS, export the TCX file, and then import the file into the Lezyne site. It's a bit of a pain but it's better than trying to use the Lezyne route creator.
Old 07-26-18, 04:47 AM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, and one other thing to add - there's a section of the Lezyne GPS website titled "Strava Routes" with an "under development" sign. So there might be some more route planning options available in the near future. No idea how it will work or whether it will be exclusive to the new GPS units though.
Old 07-26-18, 05:34 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

the dependence on the Leyzene site is a little annoying, but that sounds pretty good. One of the strengths of the garmin devices is that you don't have to use any of their software other than the firmware on the device.
Old 07-26-18, 06:34 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by lightbulbjim
The best workflow for making a route IMO is to create it on RideWithGPS, export the TCX file, and then import the file into the Lezyne site.
Yes. To add to this once it's on the Lezyne GPS Root site it's available on the Lezyne Ally app on your phone which then sends it to the GPS unit via Bluetooth.
Old 07-26-18, 07:28 AM
prj71

So if you down load a map from the Lezyne site ( or another like RWGPS ) to your phone ( app ), you then down load the map ( including turn by turn prompts ) into the unit via BT and at that point you have no to need to be connected to the unit with your phone (?)...okay sounds good to me.
That is correct.

Do you think it would be possible to download a planned route from the Garmin website and somehow get it to run on the Lezyne?
Yes. You have to export it as a *.TCX from the Garmin Website and then import the *.TCX file into the Lezyne GPS Root website. After it's uploaded to the Lezyne GPS Root website it is now available on your phone on the Lezyne app which can then be sent to your GPS unit via bluetooth.

It does sound a bit complicated but then again so is my Locus app. I just wish I could order from REI but it seems REI is no longer carrying the Lezyne line of GPS units. Jenson only had a few of these left but truthfully I hate ordering from places like Jenson. Damn, I found a place to buy one but right now I'm already spending a bit of money on some other things I really want more. I'd love to own the Mega XL but it will have to wait till I see how much of a hit the other stuff I'm buying is going to do to my bank account.
What's wrong with Jenson????
Old 07-26-18, 11:58 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
...What's wrong with Jenson????
..Oh, I don't know. I know they've been around a while but I've heard stories about people who have bought from the smaller bike warehouses and had problems when they needed customer service. I'd buy something like a seat or set of tires from them but anything electronic...meh....with electronics I want to know the customer service is going to be great, just in case.

Hey, thanks for all the great info. Really helps with making decisions. I have a hypothetical ; I have a particular area I want to ride on my MTB. This region might actually be out of range of cellular so likely I'd have to down load the area from the Lezyne app and store it on the base unit. Assuming I do this, if I then download the TCX file from Garmin, transfer it to the Lezyne root site and then to my app....Would I then be able to download the route onto the "saved map" for use off line?

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 07-26-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-26-18, 03:27 PM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both my mega xl and wahoo bolt came in today. I ordered both to see which one I like better.

Without a doubt the bolt is nicer in terms of the device itself. The set up on the bolt is also way better. The buttons are also nicer on the bolt along with the fact it comes with a outfront mount. The lezyne does not. The design is also much better with the bolt. The lezyne is more bulky and sticks up high when you mount it on the bars.

I have hardly used either device expect for one ride and the turn by turn alerts on the lezyne are better. I feel with the lezyne you don't even need a map because it does a super good job beeping right when you have to turn. The bolt is more like a car gps the tells you a decent amount ahead when you have to turn. The streets are also easier to read on the lezyne, the bolt is very small with the directions and I can hardly see it.

Based off this one ride I will probably keep the lezyne only because I have poor eyesight And I can see the mega xl better and it seems to do a better job informing you when to turn. I still need to play more with them but yes the lezyne is harder to use and the app sucks more

Old 07-27-18, 03:03 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is an out front mount for the Mega XL but you might have to order it as an extra. I remember seeing it on the Lezyne website. Bummer that they just don't give it to you with the unit.

Looking forward to more of your observations. I am wondering about the app now that you say it sucks. If it does indeed suck the good part is that apps are more easily updated. I'm assuming that planning a route with just the app is not the easiest thing to do...?
Old 07-27-18, 04:24 AM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had time today to play with the route building on the app and it actually works pretty well. It was pretty easy to use. It's nice it's in the app unlike the wahoo. First issue already I am having is I can't get my hrm to pair with the mega xl. It worked in 2 seconds with the bolt. In terms of the app it's just very bacis I guess. The bolt app give you tons of data. It even tells you your heart rate zones which is sweet I am planning on going on a longer ride today with lots of turns if I have time and am gonna use the mega xl so I will be able to see how it goes more
Old 07-27-18, 04:39 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdjclevland
I had time today to play with the route building on the app and it actually works pretty well. It was pretty easy to use. It's nice it's in the app unlike the wahoo. First issue already I am having is I can't get my hrm to pair with the mega xl. It worked in 2 seconds with the bolt. In terms of the app it's just very bacis I guess. The bolt app give you tons of data. It even tells you your heart rate zones which is sweet I am planning on going on a longer ride today with lots of turns if I have time and am gonna use the mega xl so I will be able to see how it goes more
Hmmm....Someone else mentioned that the Lezyne's had issues with pairing with different brand sensors so not pairing with a HRM doesn't surprise me. If I buy one I'll be sure to buy my speed sensor from Lezyne, just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-27-18, 04:44 AM
prj71

Hey, thanks for all the great info. Really helps with making decisions. I have a hypothetical ; I have a particular area I want to ride on my MTB. This region might actually be out of range of cellular so likely I'd have to down load the area from the Lezyne app and store it on the base unit. Assuming I do this, if I then download the TCX file from Garmin, transfer it to the Lezyne root site and then to my app....Would I then be able to download the route onto the "saved map" for use off line?
Yes.

Mega XL and Mega C are now on Amazon as well.

Last edited by prj71; 07-27-18 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-27-18, 12:31 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes.

Mega XL and Mega C are now on Amazon as well.
Hey, thanks for that feedback. I almost wish you hadn't told the folks about the Lezynes being on Amazon as likely they will sell out. Oh well, doesn't matter for me now anyway. I have my MTB in the shop and the LBS just called with some bad news that likely is going to cost me another $$$.
Old 07-27-18, 01:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Are the heart rate zones specific to you, or are they based on an algorithm (example: 220-age)?
Old 07-27-18, 02:27 PM
lightbulbjim
U*icyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by philbob57
Are the heart rate zones specific to you, or are they based on an algorithm (example: 220-age)?
You can set them up however you like. Both the number of zones and the thresholds.
Old 07-27-18, 02:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

selling at retail on Amazon, I can get it cheaper at my LBS
Old 07-27-18, 03:24 PM
Sdjclevland

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am on a beer break on a 40 mile ride now. So far the screen is still awsome on the mega. Nice and big and pretty good to see.

The gps started off great giving me turn by turn and then halfway through my ride started pissing me off bad. It would tell me to turn but I would then be off course. Then had to turn around. I ended up just pulling my phone out. Ithis was on a custom route Maybe it's the places I laid the way points that is causing this. Don't know.

Also so I thought if you made accustom route you would have a map but you don't. I guess you have to download a offline map which you can only do a section at a time which would not cover my entire ride today even.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.