Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone just give up on bike jerseys?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Anyone just give up on bike jerseys?

Old 08-12-18, 08:27 PM
bfuser284953024

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have two jerseys I like - one for $15 from Amazon, and one I got for free for doing a charity ride my work sponsored my team for. Honestly, like DrIsotope mentioned, I like them for the pockets. When commuting, I almost always wear either a t-shirt or tank (damn this humid summer!), but I have a backpack so I don't have the issue of managing my stuff. When I do my weekend exercise rides, I wear a jersey.

In the winter, the problem of "but where do my phone and keys go?" is solved by my jacket, and I wear whatever I please underneath!
Old 08-13-18, 07:53 AM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a jersey off aliexpress. $14 US. Shipped to my door. I've worn it a month with several wash cycles. Surprisingly no issues...I was really expecting it to fall apart on my second ride lol. I don't run it through the dryer though. None of the stitching has come apart. I think we are getting ripped off here in N. America.

Matt
Old 08-13-18, 02:14 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I have 40 or 50 jerseys, and still ride in t-shirts mostly, with a fanny pack if I need to carry anything. Many of them are polyester and only get comfortable after i start sweating, which is never long when a person is bundled up in some overly-tight, gaudy, usually ill-fitting, polyester blend jersey that's covered in obscure ads, on a hot day.

I guess if you need to "look the part" then wear a jersey, but unless the ride lasts more than a couple hours, I don't use any cycling-specific clothing except clip in shoes, and maybe gloves, mainly to keep the sun off my hands.

I'm convinced that bike jerseys are more for conspicuous consumption and posing purposes, and to let the world know "I'm serious cyclist, DAMMIT!" than for anything that's really necessary as a practical matter for most rides I do.
I draw the line at the fanny pack!!!! Bahahahahahaha
Old 08-13-18, 06:29 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by awesomeame
I bought a jersey off aliexpress. $14 US. Shipped to my door. I've worn it a month with several wash cycles. Surprisingly no issues...I was really expecting it to fall apart on my second ride lol. I don't run it through the dryer though. None of the stitching has come apart. I think we are getting ripped off here in N. America.

Matt
Exactly! When the quality is there, I will justify it. Most of my pricier jerseys are literally no better than my cheap Chinese ones. The zippers are no better and the material is no different from that used by the Chinese ones. The one jersey I have that IS better is the Gore jersey I was given by a friend that ordered the wrong size. I would gladly pay more for one of those, and PI would be on my radar to try also. The problem is, my Chinese bulk buy is still doing perfectly fine after years in rotation. I just can't justify buying more jerseys ATM
Old 08-13-18, 08:05 PM
tajar66

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Check with voler I have bought a couplenfrom there and am satisfied.
Old 08-15-18, 06:17 AM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brawlo
Exactly! When the quality is there, I will justify it. Most of my pricier jerseys are literally no better than my cheap Chinese ones. The zippers are no better and the material is no different from that used by the Chinese ones. The one jersey I have that IS better is the Gore jersey I was given by a friend that ordered the wrong size. I would gladly pay more for one of those, and PI would be on my radar to try also. The problem is, my Chinese bulk buy is still doing perfectly fine after years in rotation. I just can't justify buying more jerseys ATM
Just to add to this. I crashed my bike yesterday. Nothing too serious. But my LH shoulder hit the ground and slid...my skin is a bit marked up/scraped looking, but my cheap ass chinese jersey has no tears and nothing wrong besides being black from asphalt. Seems to hold up really well

Matt
Old 08-15-18, 06:50 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
For the record all cycling appeal should be hand washed. Although some advanced machines do have delicate cycles, I most certainly wouldn't trust the commercial ones. All should be line dried.
Old 08-15-18, 08:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Maybe if I was a $200 bib and $170 jersey guy, I would be hand-washing. But I'm not. So the kit I rode in this morning is in the washing machine right now.

My winter tights even go in the dryer. Because the fleece lining will apparently never dry out on it's own.
Old 08-15-18, 09:47 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Maybe if I was a $200 bib and $170 jersey guy, I would be hand-washing. But I'm not. So the kit I rode in this morning is in the washing machine right now.

My winter tights even go in the dryer. Because the fleece lining will apparently never dry out on it's own.

Old 08-15-18, 09:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Hey, I own one pair of tights-- I live in SoCal, why would I need more-- so if I want to wear them two days in a row, they gotta go in the dryer. Getting them on wet is just not happening.

Plus, the PI tag on the inside says drying on low heat is fine.
Old 08-16-18, 07:22 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You live in SoCal, why would you have *any* fleece tights!

FWIW my $200 bibs go in the washer but not the dryer. It's a front loader, maybe that makes it nicer on clothes, I don't know.
Old 08-16-18, 07:39 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You live in SoCal, why would you have *any* fleece tights!

FWIW my $200 bibs go in the washer but not the dryer. It's a front loader, maybe that makes it nicer on clothes, I don't know.
It can get cold enough, and enhanced by the wind. My fingers and face are particularly vulnerable. And yes, as you suspected its the agitation that's most damaging to fabric, so the front loader is the much better option.
Old 08-16-18, 08:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I’ve got lined tights because I don’t Zwift based on the weather. Any trip into the mountains November-January can get brisk. Remember when y’all bailed on GMR in December two years ago? Low of 25°? Tights came in handy.
Old 08-17-18, 09:49 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I’ve got lined tights because I don’t Zwift based on the weather. Any trip into the mountains November-January can get brisk. Remember when y’all bailed on GMR in December two years ago? Low of 25°? Tights came in handy.
I don't bail because it's too cold for my gear, I bail because I don't like cornering in snow or ice.
Old 08-17-18, 09:54 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Pffff. You only know about snow and ice as concepts. Well, to be fair, that could apply to me as well. A buddy of mine lives in southeast Pennsylvania-- he got trapped in his car during blizzards twice last winter, one instance for FIFTEEN HOURS. Nope.

Black ice is definitely no fun. But that doesn't mean I'm going indoors for the winter in SoCal. That's when some of the best riding is to be had.
Old 08-17-18, 12:23 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,575 Times in 2,339 Posts
last time I even owned a cycling jersey w pockets, I was 17. 42 years ago ...
Old 08-17-18, 01:00 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Pffff. You only know about snow and ice as concepts. Well, to be fair, that could apply to me as well. A buddy of mine lives in southeast Pennsylvania-- he got trapped in his car during blizzards twice last winter, one instance for FIFTEEN HOURS. Nope.

Black ice is definitely no fun. But that doesn't mean I'm going indoors for the winter in SoCal. That's when some of the best riding is to be had.
I grew up in the north-east, minnesota, denmark and other chilly locales. Definitely intimately familiar with snow & ice.
Old 08-20-18, 04:36 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've never been a jersey wearing cyclist. There seem to be three reasons to wear them:
  1. You like the way they look/fit - that's fine, but I'm just don't have any sense of style (verified by my wife).
  2. You want to carry stuff in pockets - I've never liked having stuff on my body on bike rides, or kayaking for that matter (like a Camelbak for water)
  3. The aerodynamics are better - I weigh 230 lbs, flapping shirts are the noise as far as power loss while cycling compared to the extra weight I carry.
I generally buy wicking T shirts, either cheap Hanes ones from places like WalMart, or over the winter fancier ones that go on sale at the various bike or outdoors outlets. They last a long time, now come in many hi-viz colors and are also usable other than cycling.
Old 08-20-18, 11:43 AM
KraneXL

You non-jersey types just eschew the look of a dedicated cyclist. I understand.
Old 08-20-18, 03:11 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
I have never liked jerseys. I have a couple, and I am extremely uncomfortable with a jersey hugging me tight all over. I like loose clothes. I have a couple MTB jerseys that are larger and more comfortable, but usually I just wear synthetic T shirts.

Lately I've discovered that, for the heat, a (loose) tank top can't be beat. All that wind lifting the back of the shirt and getting in everywhere -- feels awesome!
Old 08-20-18, 09:21 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I have never liked jerseys. I have a couple, and I am extremely uncomfortable with a jersey hugging me tight all over. I like loose clothes. I have a couple MTB jerseys that are larger and more comfortable, but usually I just wear synthetic T shirts.
You're not doing it right. A good jersey should feel like a second skin. For the record, only the pro fit hugs. Other styles become gradually looser.

Lately I've discovered that, for the heat, a (loose) tank top can't be beat. All that wind lifting the back of the shirt and getting in everywhere -- feels awesome!
All that drag!!
Old 08-21-18, 04:25 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You non-jersey types just eschew the look of a dedicated cyclist. I understand.
Exactly! Same reason I don't have manufacturer decals all over my car, even though I am a dedicated motorist...
Old 08-21-18, 08:02 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
You're not doing it right. A good jersey should feel like a second skin. For the record, only the pro fit hugs. Other styles become gradually looser.
It's the same with t-shirts and jeans. I could never wear 'skinny jeans'. I like jeans so loose I'm basically in shorts; my legs are shielded from view by denim curtains.

All that drag!!
Like jpescator said, "I weigh 230 lbs, flapping shirts are the noise as far as power loss while cycling compared to the extra weight I carry."
Old 08-21-18, 11:27 AM
mcm44

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Amazon sizing

Originally Posted by pennpaul
I have about given up on bike jerseys. I live in the Middle East now and there are no jerseys in my size--not because the men are smaller (because they're not), but because there aren't as many cyclists. I was stateside last week and stopped in Performance Bike and didn't see anything I liked. I also don't want to take a gamble buying bike clothes off Amazon and dealing with the return.

Has anyone just switched to wearing some kind of cotton/poly or fully synthetic hiking shirt or fishing shirt? I rode with one yesterday and it was fairly comfortable with the air flowing through but I think a vented back would be better. The one downside is that there are no rear pockets but I could dig out my fanny pack or get a top tube bag.

Just wondering if you have any recommendations. I'm 6'1" and 250lbs. Have recently gone from an XL to XXL.

Thanks
Paul

Hi
In USA it may be easier for Amazon returns. I get PRIME shipping amd free shipping back on return so Amazon has been easy.
Ive found that sizes vary greatly, Im 5-10, 215, 46C 37W, found one XL that fits very well, other times orderer XXL and was very tight, not flattering at all. So yea it i**** or miss.
I buy $10 shirts from Modells, their store brand nylon workout shirts, short slleeve light as anything and air goes right through
Old 08-21-18, 12:04 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I too put my kits in the washer on cold. I don't have a new fangled front loader fancy washer. I have a 1993 Sears Kenmore old school top loading machine. My kits hang to dry. I have on occasion tossed in dryer on low heat if I'm feeling less like waiting for kits to dry. I have enough kits tho at this point that letting them hang dry won't put me in a bind for what to wear. Unless I get home from a 7 day ride and have 7 sets of bibs/jerseys/base layer/socks to wash and dry. Our shower curtain rod gives up when I hang 7 full kits. Oops.

Once in a while won't kill them in the dryer.

I use my pockets as my seat bag holds tubes, CO2, CO2 adapter, tire levers, patch kit and multi-tool. No room for snacks.
Top tube bag holds some essentials. My jersey pockets end up holding my arm warmers/wind vest once it gets warm enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.