Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Turp

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 05:04 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Turp

Im having Turp done Monday. I hope I’m not off the bike to long. I missed a lot of riding this year with my wife and myself. Hopefully next year will be better.
Old 09-06-18, 06:07 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
I hope it goes well, George.

Old 09-06-18, 07:33 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by decotriumph
I hope it goes well, George.
Me too

Ummm, what's turp?
Old 09-06-18, 07:47 PM
George

Thanks for the reply guys. TURP is getting your prostate reamed out. The prostate is shutting down your urinary track from going so it has to be cleaned out.
Old 09-06-18, 08:00 PM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Thanks for the reply guys. TURP is getting your prostate reamed out. The prostate is shutting down your urinary track from going so it has to be cleaned out.
Thank you for the explanation.

And I truly wish you the best. We will all have to face some kind of aging problems unfortunately, its just the way it is. I will add you and your doctors in my prayers. Stay strong!
Old 09-06-18, 08:08 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Im having Turp done Monday. I hope I’m not off the bike to long. I missed a lot of riding this year with my wife and myself. Hopefully next year will be better.
Good luck with the procedure and hoping your recovery will not be too long.

Just wondering if the Dr. had you try some non-surgical methods available before making the TURP choice?
Old 09-06-18, 09:21 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I had the greenlight 3 months ago. Not same as turp but same reason. Did they give you that option much easier and faster recovery. I did not know they did many standard turps anymore.
Old 09-07-18, 06:22 AM
George

Doctor told me and I also read, that the Greenlight would only last 3 or 4 years. Maybe more with some people, I really don't know for sure. The drugs had some bad side effects, so we decided on the turf procedure.
Old 09-07-18, 07:25 AM
deacon mark

I guess I am a bit lost most doctors I know only do the greenlight. Way less risk and minimal blood loss. I never heard of the situation that that greenlight is only good for a few years. My doctor is hoping to get 15 out of mine as certainly things can grow over again. It guess I do not understand since the procedures are suppose to do the same thing. In may case I was off the bike for only two weeks and went back to running in a week. I had one slight complication in surgery that required doctor to have to do back in and clean up a bleeding which is pretty rare but again things went ok. Many times greenlight is an outpatient.

My brother-in-law is a family practice physician and I trust him and he was very positive on what the surgery could do. If I were I would be seeking another opinion since TRUP while it was considered the gold standard is not longer done as much due to higher complications and longer recovery for sure.
Old 09-07-18, 07:40 AM
George

Thanks for the reply Mark. I'll give them a call today and see if I can get it changed.

I just called and I'll see what happens. I DO like the sounds of the greenlight better.

The doctor said he would change it, but its not as efficient as the turf. I guess its a roll of the dice now.

Last edited by George; 09-07-18 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 09:06 AM
deacon mark

I am not a dr but I would ask questions. In my case at 57 my prostate was huge and I was going to the bathroom 20 times a day. I had retention and would probably go an just get rid of about 20% of my urine. I waited too long should have done it 2 years ago I think. My wife is battling re-occurring breast cancer and has had that for 9 years so I tried to ignore. Bottom line it was good I did have a catheter in for about 24 hours due to the complications. I initially started to void after taking it out for 4 hours then plugged up again and they straight cath me once time after that and I finally started going ok. I went home and it was better immediately after that and other than bloody urine was going fine and less.

Seems like now I go about 10-12 time in a 12 hour period. I still get up once at night but I drink a lot of liquid in the evening, I do not put out huge amount of urine each time maybe 6-8 oz tops but I can now go. I had the surgery on May 2nd and then my first ride was about 2 weeks later. That went ok but then did a 40 mile ride 3 weeks after that seemed ok but then few days later out for 44 and had real dark bloody urine and had to back off. That stopped after about 7 weeks I would get some in AM after running or a ride. I stayed off bike for another week after that.

Good luck and let me know how things go.
Old 09-07-18, 11:26 AM
George

I went to 2 doctors, the first one wanted to use greenlight and the second one said TURP. So I’m gambling that the first one was right.
It doesn’t seem like your emptying as much as you should . I guess if you feel better, that,s what counts.
Good luck and I’ll get back to you later.
Old 09-07-18, 12:11 PM
deacon mark

I made an error i should have said 10-12 timex in 24 hours now. I don’t hsve that sudde urge I have to go right then. This is much better.

The week before surgery i road my bike about 300 miles 30-50 miles a day. I wss stopping to pee 3-4 times in 2-3 hours. I can niw ride 3-4 hours no
stopping.
Old 09-07-18, 12:19 PM
George

That sounds better Mark . Anyhow thanks for the reply and I’ll get back to you.
Old 09-08-18, 02:37 PM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
A new procedure to treat enlarged prostates has just been approve in the UK. It uses steam and is said to be an improvement on other methods. I don’t know if It is approved by the FDA.
Old 09-08-18, 03:29 PM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
A new procedure to treat enlarged prostates has just been approve in the UK. It uses steam and is said to be an improvement on other methods. I don’t know if It is approved by the FDA.

Looks interesting.

In late 2015, the FDA approved Rezum as a treatment for BPH
Old 09-11-18, 07:01 AM
George

I just got mine done yesterday and I feel great today. I'm glad I had it done. So far I am anyhow.