Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 04:36 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

Does anyone have one? I want to carry all the stuff in my car but of course itīs not practical so maybe a 1kg kit with the most important things you would need to take care of the bike and yourself in -C temperature on a 20km commute?
Old 10-31-18, 04:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The most important thing to carry is your tool kit which should include: spare tubes, pump, chain tool, spare chain links and multi tool. Personally I also add some extra clothing items such as: extra sweater or base layer, gloves , glove liners, beanie etc.
Old 10-31-18, 05:08 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I commuted 16km one-way in -15 C (5 F), and for those temps the only extra pieces I added to my emergency/spares kit included 2 sets of chemical handwarmers and a small mylar thermal blanket. I figured the worst case scenario on my commute was having a ride ending mechanical failure at exactly the half way point, and then deciding if I wanted to walk 8km back home or walk 8km to work, or waiting for a ride from a friend/co-worker/Uber (hence the thermal blanket). What's much more likely to happen is a flat that you simply change as fast as you can, with your gloves on for as long as possible, but probably with your gloves off for some period of time and freezing your fingers a little (hence the chemical warmers).

What's "all the stuff in your car" that you would consider bringing on the bike?
Old 10-31-18, 06:34 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
A phone to call someone to help...but I suppose that's a given. If it's a flat, you try to fix it, but using your bare hands when temperature is so extreme is not easy, or even possible, in which case a phone to call someone for help is crucial. Anywhere along my route is no more than a ten minutes walk from some kind of indoor business into which I can probably beg/plead for help, or at least a warm place to change my tire. Most people are decent enough to help out like that. So other than the usual tool kit necessities I don't carry much else.
Old 10-31-18, 06:36 PM
Obeast
100% Certified Beast

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I have an emergency kit in the car that is meant for 2 days emergency including a lot of unnecessary stuff. I can either create a brand new kit or take parts from the car kit. I want to bring some kind of wool blanket as well but itīs going to take up a lot of cargo space. I need some front panniers I guess.

Originally Posted by Riveting
I commuted 16km one-way in -15 C (5 F), and for those temps the only extra pieces I added to my emergency/spares kit included 2 sets of chemical handwarmers and a small mylar thermal blanket. I figured the worst case scenario on my commute was having a ride ending mechanical failure at exactly the half way point, and then deciding if I wanted to walk 8km back home or walk 8km to work, or waiting for a ride from a friend/co-worker/Uber (hence the thermal blanket). What's much more likely to happen is a flat that you simply change as fast as you can, with your gloves on for as long as possible, but probably with your gloves off for some period of time and freezing your fingers a little (hence the chemical warmers).

What's "all the stuff in your car" that you would consider bringing on the bike?
Old 11-01-18, 02:51 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
How much other traffic is there along that commute?
My commute is 18 km suburbia, 7 km dense city.
Under anything resembling normal working hours I think there'd be another person along in less than 10 minutes even on the most "remote" stretch. From any given point of the journey, I can probably get to, and onto, public transportation that can take me someplace useful within 30-45 minutes.
Not much need to go full prepper for that.
I bring some extra clothes and a headlamp to be able to deal with the fixable stuff.
And a lock to deal with the unfixable.
Anything outside walking distance to home/work I can't deal with by the roadside, I'll walk the bike to someplace where it seems OK to lock it up and leave it there for later retrieval.
Unless I can get a taxi that can carry a bike.
Or have someone else pick me up.
Old 11-01-18, 08:16 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
if I'm going to be somewhere remote I'll bring stuff to start a fire

Old 11-01-18, 10:09 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Cell phone's about my limit for a commute. Perhaps if I commuted to a remote ranch I'd look into adding a bivy, winter sleeping bag, something to shoot the grizzly bear or wolf that might happen by while I was stranded, etc. Despite the fact there was a yearling black bear sighted south of town last spring, I think my town is mostly civilized.
Old 11-01-18, 12:19 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
1. Cell phone
2. Credit card

I am always biking somewhere with cell coverage and the ability to call a an uber/lift/taxi/tow truck/ambulance if there was an emergency so that's my backup plan.
I could see how if you bike through places offroad or without cell coverage, an extra layer could be helpful for keeping you warm while you walk home.

I'm kinda interested in seeing what other people carry, but I've figured you're going to have less of an ability to fix mechanical issues in the severe cold anyways so there's little reason to carry more stuff. If something important breaks your choices are to get picked up or to walk your way out. Some of my tires are difficult to get on and off when it's warm, is it even possible to get them off the rim when it's cold and the rubber shrinks a bit? If my chain broke would my fingers be capable of the dexterity needed to replace a link in the extreme cold? I would think that despite increased danger your realistic ability to fix mechanical issues in the extreme cold would be a lot lower vs when it's warm.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 11-01-18 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-01-18, 01:36 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Maybe already part of your regular kit but I wanted to underscore the importance of water.
Remember that e.g. a 30 min. commute may end up taking at least twice that long.

I don’t think a thermal sleeping bag is necessary though.

Last edited by Bikewolf; 11-01-18 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-02-18, 02:10 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
...Personally I also add some extra clothing items such as: extra sweater or base layer, gloves , glove liners, beanie etc.
I do this too.
Old 11-02-18, 06:30 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
A phone to call for help and clothes that will keep you warm and dry while walking. Unless the wind picks up and everything goes totally south on you, you should be able to walk the 10 km to either end of your commute in less than two hours.

But, if you want to be really prepared check out this list. Scroll down to 19 for the gear list. Arrowhead 135 - Race Rules
Old 11-02-18, 07:15 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
AAA Emergency Road Side for Bikes
Old 11-03-18, 07:20 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the sounds of it, I'm fortunate to have a rack and panniers setup for my 4 mile commute. Also, I keep a frame mounted pump as well as a tube, tools, levers and a pair of rubber gloves stashed conveniently in my saddle bag. The logic being if its raining or just very cold I can save my gloves by chucking those in my jacket and using the rubber gloves to keep me and my gloves clean and or dry. Being that they're in a saddlebag access is always immediate instead of emptying my pannier.

in one of my panniers I always keep a u lock, a very lightweight wind layer, a rain jacket, beanie, a merino wool buff, and toe covers. When it's really cold, I'll throw in a sweater and use it for layers. I know it sounds like a lot but, rolled up in the bottom of a pannier that is only used to hold my lunch, it's really not cumbersome.
Old 11-03-18, 07:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My winter kit isn't that much different from my summer kit. Summer stuff always includes tubes, tire levers, some way to inflate tires, some way to remove wheels (if not quick release), allen wrenches/mini screwdriver, and usually, a chain tool.

For winter, I usually bring, in addition:
  • Chemical warmers
  • Lighter
  • Extra wool shirt (sweater or baselayer, depending on temperature)
  • Extra gloves or liners (both for cold hands, and to replace if there's too much sweat build up)
  • Sometimes, extra head covering (again - sweat.)
  • Maybe some extra lights.
A lot of the serious survival gear might be important if you're going way out in the boonies in serious, extreme cold. I'm usually just going slightly into the boonies, and figure I can survive long enough to walk to a farmhouse (or bar) if it gets seriously bad.
Old 11-04-18, 06:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
Does anyone have one?…so maybe a 1kg kit with the most important things you would need to take care of the bike and yourself in -C temperature on a 20km commute?
Originally Posted by mcours2006
A phone to call someone to help...but I suppose that's a given. If it's a flat, you try to fix it, but using your bare hands when temperature is so extreme is not easy, or even possible, in which case a phone to call someone for help is crucial.

Anywhere along my route is no more than a ten minutes walk from some kind of indoor business into which I can probably beg/plead for help, or at least a warm place to change my tire. Most people are decent enough to help out like that.

So other than the usual tool kit necessities I don't carry much else
Originally Posted by dabac
How much other traffic is there along that commute? My commute is 18 km suburbia, 7 km dense city. Under anything resembling normal working hours I think there'd be another person along in less than 10 minutes even on the most "remote" stretch.

From any given point of the journey, I can probably get to, and onto, public transportation that can take me someplace useful within 30-45 minutes
.Not much need to go full prepper for that.

I bring some extra clothes and a headlamp to be able to deal with the fixable stuff. And a lock to deal with the unfixable. Anything outside walking distance to home/work I can't deal with by the roadside, I'll walk the bike to someplace where it seems OK to lock it up and leave it there for later retrieval.

Unless I can get a taxi that can carry a bike.Or have someone else pick me up.
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
1. Cell phone
2. Credit card

I am always biking somewhere with cell coverage and the ability to call a an uber/lift/taxi/tow truck/ambulance if there was an emergency so that's my backup plan.I could see how if you bike through places offroad or without cell coverage, an extra layer could be helpful for keeping you warm while you walk home… .

I would think that despite increased danger your realistic ability to fix mechanical issues in the extreme cold would be a lot lower vs when it's warm.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
if I'm going to be somewhere remote I'll bring stuff to start a fire.
I too ride on urban / suburban routes with similar measures, but early, before 6 AM. I envision going to an indoor ATM machine to fix a flat, so I carry a bank card too.

I routinely bring enough clothing in a pannier to accommodate any wet / cold weather, with enough space to doff items, from about 50° F to zero. I don’t carry a lock and wouldn’t want to abandon my bike, with hassle of picking up later.

I have only about three times called a taxi on my decades of commuting, all in temperate weather. I haven’t used Uber yet, so I don’t know how long wait (and inactive) times would be, especially in the early AM,so I would prefer to keep moving in the cold.

Since I have excellent Commuter Rail as an alternative commute, even on which to take my bike, I have frankly disdained busses, which are more accesible and frequent on my routes. Last week I did take a bus with my bike, and was pleased with the service, and carrying capacity, so now that looks like a primary emergency measure.

PS: I also use Kevlar tire liners year round, even on my fair weather carbon fiber road bike, to hopefully forestall flats.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-04-18 at 12:54 PM. Reason: added PS