Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

2019 Randonnees

Old 06-24-19, 05:33 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I just got back from the NoVa1000k. Lots of climbing. I spent a couple of hours getting another rider medical attention, I have never been as scared for the well-being of another person as when I found him lying astride his bike in the middle of the road. It was a bit of a surprise since we had been riding together minutes before.
Damn that's scary. Have you heard how he is doing? Did you call 911?

I did another 600 this weekend, about 4100m of climbing. I had a good time, rode it very casually almost like a tour, always had a good time cushion. Got almost 4 hours of sleep too. Weather was perfect summer, except for 6 hours of headwinds on Saturday afternoon.
Old 06-24-19, 07:33 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Yikes! What happened, is he alright?
Old 06-24-19, 09:22 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

The BRM600 Big Hills Challenge 2.0 that I rode over the weekend was touted as Malaysia’s toughest BRM to date, as a follow-up to another Big Hills Challenge on the same month last year, but with more elevation than before. Preparing the route on RideWithGPS gave a total of 9464m (51050ft) of elevation gain, but post-ride my Garmin Edge 1030 recorded just 6765m (22195ft).

For this ride we got a 1-hour extension due to the difficulty of the route, making it a 41-hour ride that starts at 4:00am Saturday and ending at 9:00pm Sunday.

My plan was to treat this ride as PBP training. There’s cold temperatures up there in the high altitude mountain ranges, as well as all that tough elevation to get over. But it turns out I got more than I bargained for – rain, a puncture in the dark, and massive sleep deprivation. More on that later.

We had a total of 142 riders, although this was a mixed event consisting of a BRM200 and a BRM600. Riders doing BRM200 would reach the first control at 100km and then turn back; even that alone was about 3700m of elevation (12139ft), based on the Strava records of the participants whom I follow.

Long climb in the dark

We started as early as 4 a.m. in the morning, so it was a cold and dark start. Halfway up the first climb, we encountered a bit of light rain. Not enough to warrant stopping to break out the rain coat, but enough to make it feel cold. Peak elevation is approx. 1500m (4921ft); I paced myself to avoid going into the red and stay comfortably in the Z3-Z4 range… but it seems like everyone else had a different idea and most of the riders quickly passed me. On the other hand, I managed to get to the top at a steady pace without needing to rest (except one photo opportunity near the peak), while I passed a couple of people who did need to rest.

Sadly, view near the top isn't as nice as past years

Had a short break at the only petrol station at the top. Instant cup noodles to keep warm. After that, had a very enjoyable descent. Getting a nice 60-70kph (37-44mph) roll to the bottom, which was also a nice test of cold tolerance… though the lowest recorded temperature on my Garmin was just 13C (55.4F), and I’m guessing it can be colder on a cold night in France.

Long descent

Rolling all the way down would just be about 87km, then another 13km of rolling hills to the first control. This was the annoying kind of rolling terrain where you can go stupid fast down a descent, but still not have enough momentum to get you anywhere near the peak of the next ride, so the good ol’ strategy of powering up over the crest often does not apply here.

After the first checkpoint, is another 57km of similar, annoying roads to the second checkpoint. During this time the sun had risen and now we’re dealing with afternoon temperatures. I did not have my sunscreen lotion on at the time because it was still a cool and overcast sky when I left the first control, didn’t expect it to turn hot so soon. Anyway, it was just a little under 2 hours under the sun, but apparently that was enough to screw with my nutrition. I ordered a plate of chicken rice at the restaurant near the second control but couldn’t even finish half the plate.

But fortunately I had my supply of sweets that I picked up from petrol stations along the way – gummy bears, sugar-coated gummy sweets, dried mangoes; those helped keep me going even though I couldn’t finish proper meals.

Cows along the way

Ominous clouds

Ride to the third control at 274.4km was mostly an exercise in patience. It’s practically a long 114km stretch, mostly light rolling and only flatting out around the last 30km or so. Ominous clouds were also coming up and, as predicted, we experienced heavy rains along the last 30+ km of the route. Had to stop to break out the rain jackets and then lost momentum along this stretch since the rain, along with night riding, impaired visibility so we had to take it slow.

So the third control was at a Marry Brown restaurant. Some of the people I was riding with stopped for dinner but I was doing the math in my head and I figured we were already on a time deficit; furthermore I doubt I could eat anything proper so they told me to go on ahead first and that’s what I did. I soloed my way to the fourth control at 408km, but this was quite an eventful journey. First mishap of the day was a puncture to the rear tire. Changing tubes in the dark and wet was no fun, and furthermore something weird happened to my CO2 inflator and I wasted one good canister as a result. Didn’t want to risk another canister and just inflated my tire with the hand pump… slowly.

I reached my planned stop, a petrol station at 358km, but by that time it was slightly past 3am in the morning. I had planned to get some sleep here but considering the time, that was out of the question. So I lay down and tried to get a short 20-minute sleep, but couldn’t get myself to doze off. Had another cup of instant noodles before setting off, but still not able to down it all.

The climb up to the fourth control wasn’t as tough as the first one, but still quite a monster. 1000m (3280ft) at the peak, in the dark, solo, and hit with a serious case of sleep deprivation. Had to stop every 10-15 minutes to just close my eyes and shake off the sleepiness. Eventually morning came, I found a small coffee shop where I ordered a hot cup of coffee and buried my head on the table and somehow managed to doze off. It wasn’t very long though, when I woke up my coffee they already served my coffee and it was still quite warm, but most important thing is that this little bit of nap managed to fix my sleep deprivation woes.

Cold and misty near the peak

Finally reached the fourth control at the peak. Cold and misty up here. This is supposedly a rest area for travelers heading across the mountain range, but the only “shop” that was open was the public toilet where you had to pay money to use. Even had a bath there, but considering the temperatures up here, I doubt most people took that option. Anyways, I took a 30-minute rest before setting off, but it started drizzling during this time. I rode down with another rider, and we ended up sticking together for the rest of the ride. This time the descent wasn’t that great though; I suspect it was my rain jacket that acted as a speed cap, keeping me stuck at 48-50kmh (30-31mph) for most of the descent.

Long bridge across the lake

We passed a nice lake, supposedly a tourist spot but not-so-nice reviews left on Google. Didn’t have much time to stop for photos though, but immediately after the lake was the third climb. This one’s not so tall – about 600m (1968ft) at the peak – but it had stretches of long and continuous 8-9% grades to deal with. Usually this is not a problem, but after all the climbing beforehand, this was starting to make my lower back hurt. Fortunately those 600m went by quickly, and then it was a pleasant roll down.

Found a small restaurant open for lunch. Got just a very small amount of rice, topped with bean sprouts and a fried egg. Surprisingly managed to down it all. After this, no more big climbs to deal with; just some moderate rolling hills all the way back to the finish. We were pretty short on time though; my ride mate kept telling me he thought we might DNF as we still had about 8.5 hours to do 180km but I thought as long as we didn’t encounter any nasty terrain or elevation, that’s still doable with a nice and steady effort with minimal rest.

Only problem is, that annoying sleep deprivation thing came up again. This time I couldn’t shake it off by trying to nod off during one of our short coffee shop breaks. Instead, I had to somehow endure it (and nearly swerve off the road at least twice, as far as I recall) but what saved me was an energy gel. I rarely use these but keep them in case of emergency, and in this case it really helped (or maybe it was a combination of the sugar and caffeine in the gel, I don’t really know).

Roadside scenery

Funny thing at 5:15pm. I called for a short 15-minute rest at a coffee shop by the side of the route. By this time we had another 60km to go, and doing some math in my head, I casually asked my ride mate: “how about we try to finish this before 8:00pm?” I wasn’t expecting much but surprisingly, he decided to go along with it.

The remaining 60km wasn’t exactly flat, easy-peasy though. A bit of rolling, some traffic, also a bunch of red lights the closer we got to the city had us accumulate some amount of stopped time. It was about 9.5km left and 19 minutes on the clock if I wanted to complete by 8:00pm (and therefore within the standard 40-hour cutoff instead of the extended 41-hour period). So I did what you guys like to call it on the forum and “droped the hamer”. It was such a crazy stunt I didn’t even think I could follow through all the way. The hardest was the standing starts from red lights at intersections, but somehow I still managed to complete it at 39h 58m, with my ride mate barely managing to complete closely behind.

Post-ride, I wanted to check on my HR data for that last 10km stretch but surprisingly it wasn’t as high as I thought it would be. Just barely over the lower range of Z5. But I also remember reading from ultra-endurance people that HR data tends to be close to useless for long distance as HR typically drops and stays low especially on day-2 onwards?

The official timings aren’t out yet, but I believe the DNF rate for this ride was pretty high. Some people I knew already abandoned at the second control, and only two out of the group I left behind at the third control opted to continue riding. I also counted at least 2 or 3 groups of riders, in their support cars, passing by on the way back to the finish. My friend back at the finishing point made an interesting observation – those who show up with support cars tend to DNF first because that is the easy way out, whereas those who don’t have support tend to push on, because no one is going to bail them out (save for an expensive Grab or similar).

Most of the pictures above are actually screengrabs as I take more video than photos during a ride. Here's the full ride video.

Last edited by atwl77; 06-24-19 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 12:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
Yikes! What happened, is he alright?
I called 911 when it became obvious that he had a bad concussion. Seems like he's okay. He has been released from the hospital. I believe he fell asleep. Of course, he could have hit a pothole wrong, I can't be sure. I was falling asleep the morning before, really points out what could happen. And it could have been far worse, the road we were on sees very little traffic.

In retrospect, I probably should have called 911 earlier, but I was busy trying to see how badly he was hurt and trying to get him out of the road if I could. He moved out of the road himself, I wasn't going to move him. Switching from the mindset of moving forward at all costs to emergency response takes a little while.
Old 06-24-19, 03:55 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

I called 911 when it became obvious that he had a bad concussion. Seems like he's okay. He has been released from the hospital. I believe he fell asleep. Of course, he could have hit a pothole wrong, I can't be sure. I was falling asleep the morning before, really points out what could happen. And it could have been far worse, the road we were on sees very little traffic.

In retrospect, I probably should have called 911 earlier, but I was busy trying to see how badly he was hurt and trying to get him out of the road if I could. He moved out of the road himself, I wasn't going to move him. Switching from the mindset of moving forward at all costs to emergency response takes a little while.
Glad to hear he's fine. I know of a rider who crashed had a concussion two weeks ago, he didn't remember anything about the crash. It was on a group ride I wasn't a part of, but they shared a private video of the aftermath in WhatsApp.
Old 06-30-19, 09:24 AM
clasher

I did a half-gravel 200k yesterday. My girlfriend came too and it was a lot fun but hard work. It was up in the Canadian Shield so there was a lot of climbing, I had over 2300m by the end of the ride. A lot of short steep hills, one after the other... on the gravel roads they can’t really blast rock out of the way so they just go over the hill instead. One of the gravel was well driven and other sections looked more like mine tailings. It was quite humid but not unbearably hot. It’s peak fly season right now so stopping in the wooded sections would result in numerous deer fly bites on top of the normal mosquitoes. At last control my phone received a tornado warning as thunderstorm clouds had been building and we ended riding through a heavy downpour with thunder and lightning a few I’m away but the storm also gave us a sweet tailwind and we were rolling close to 30kmh despite all the climbing in the legs. It was a really nice ride through some beautiful and rugged terrain. Climbing on loose sandy gravel takes more work than normal but I had enough low gears to make every climb.
Old 06-30-19, 04:57 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts

Psychedelic Turtle 300K gets its name from the Turtle Creek Bridge built in 1869 as well as the ride start in Woodstock, IL.

It was a very hot and humid 300K yesterday in northern Illinois/southern Wisconsin. I've had no real opportunity to acclimate to the heat so was apprehensive as to how it would go. I brought my neck wrap (tube of fabric) so that I could fill it with ice at controls. That saved the day for me along with making sure I stayed hydrated. I used both Skratch hydration mix and Tailwind. Both products sit well with my stomach. I supplemented with GF pretzels, Indian crunchy snacks, GF crackers, some Clif blocks, Skratch energy chews and an almond butter sandwich. The only thing I bought at controls besides water was some packets of ham (Carl Buddig) and 2 cokes. I had no stomach issues and my energy levels were good all day.

Unlike my previous 300K at the end of May, I was riding with friends the entire time as well as many miles getting to know some other riders. Two of my friends dropped at mile 85 due to the heat. But my other friend stayed with me through the end. I really appreciated that in the hours after sunset. That was the best night riding I've had yet as the temps were cooler, the skies were clear, and there wasn't any crazy twisting descents in the dark. We saw fireworks, fireflies, and even bats swooping around getting the abundant bugs! I finished in 17:22 as compared to my previous 17:40 time. Much less climbing on this route, but my previous 300K was in temps that I prefer - 50s at the start and low 70s during the afternoon. Both rides had calm winds all day and no rain.

Bonus was meeting up with 2 of my other friends at a control that both the 300K and the 600K route shared. They are still out there and did have to deal with a line of storms that came through this afternoon. Lots of high winds, lightening, and rain. Hope everyone is safe.
Old 07-01-19, 05:28 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Congrats on the 300k! I saw the 600k riders had to deal with a power outage, that must have been fun.

I recently found that I need to ride a 300k this year to earn the elusive unltramega randonneur award (10 SR series). Turns out there aren't too many that are suitable. I was disappointed to see that the DC randos aren't running their fall series. Maybe I'll have to wait for next year. There is one the first weekend of August, not sure I want to do that one.

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-01-19 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-01-19, 05:36 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Congrats on the 300k! I saw the 600k riders had to deal with a power outage, that must have been fun.
The pictures that were posted this morning appear to show that the power did come back on before the last of the 600K riders finished. @83cannondale needed this 600K to be able to ride PBP. I was thrilled to see that he finished in time. Hope he pops in after he recovers to give us an update on his experience. I did see him and another friend on Saturday as the 300K and 600K shared a control. They were both looking good at that time.

Last edited by GadgetGirlIL; 07-01-19 at 05:42 AM.
Likes For GadgetGirlIL:
Old 07-02-19, 01:57 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Things I am glad happened before PBP: the clamp that holds my saddle to the seatpost shattered 77 miles into the NER 600k (which I was doing just for fun, so no big deal). It's getting a replacement, and possibly a replacement saddle (though I'll hang onto the old one; the rails *look* fine). Saddle and seatpost both had ~10k miles on them (same as the bike itself).

New seatpost definitely going to be one that doesn't clamp the saddle on with little flanges (instead of the usual metal-sandwich over the rails with bolts), because this was definitely metal fatigue.
Old 07-22-19, 03:35 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Completed a 200k on Sunday, this being the last brevet I'm doing before PBP. Very nice weather for a change, remained cool and overcast for most of the day except for a few sunny stretches. Mostly quiet rural roads, but also lots of rolling with very few flat sections -- kind of a short PBP simulation, I suppose. It's interesting to see all the kinds of bikes that people bring to these shorter brevets; this time around I saw a couple of foldies, one tandem, and one fat bike.

Most notable incident of this ride was being nearly chased by a herd of (bisons? oxens?). We were on a short climb when I noticed them on the other side of the road, separated by metal rails. At first I only thought it was odd how they kept looking at us, then they started to move and sped up to a run towards a gap in the fence behind us, so I thought "oh maybe they're just scared and waiting for us to pass before they cross the road or something."

And then once they got onto the road they started moving uphill -- in our direction. lol. 1-minute interval time, haha. But it seems they didn't really give chase (or if they did, maybe we outran them or they gave up very soon???). What an interesting experience, a lot more unique than being chased by dogs.
Old 07-22-19, 05:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

my experience with cows is that they can be really curious. I don't think I have been chased by one on a bike though.

We did back to back 200k rides last week. It was really hot and the first 200k had a lot of climbing in the middle section. I cramped pretty badly and didn't think I would finish the first day, but fortunately the course levels out at the end and I limped home. The second day was even hotter. I didn't have any trouble with cramping, I think because there weren't any steep hills. But there was a headwind for 3/4 of the ride, and I got really slow because of the heat. Fortunately, someone gave me water when I asked about stores. When I did get to a store, I bought a bag of ice and that made things a lot better. Also, one of the locals pointed out they had ice cream in the back so I got a giant serving, which was the small size. Don't order a large ice cream cone in Central Pennsylvania, you will not finish it.

I plan on riding a couple of 100k rides a week until I leave for France.
Old 07-22-19, 07:22 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Yeah, most of my encounter with cows have been pretty much docile. They'll be by the side of the road, just doing their own thing and not bothering us. Two notable incidents though:

One time on a climb I saw a lone, black male cow up ahead by the side of the road. It gave me bad vibes, I just tried to avoid eye contact and just keep going. Further ahead our ride leader had stopped to wait for the rest of the stragglers to pass, he also said he sensed bad vibes from that cow and was waiting to make sure everyone made it up.

Another time, I was with a fast group doing a pretty fast paceline at over 40kmh when we passed a herd of cows. Apparently one of the younger ones got spooked and ran across the road, right through the peloton but surprisingly no one crashed. I didn't even realize what happened until I was looking through my bike footage later on, since the incident happened behind me.
Old 08-04-19, 04:29 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

I rode New England Randonneurs' "ah Canada" 400k yesterday. That's a long drive for me, but I wanted to do a long ride and I haven't ridden in Vermont before.

Drove up on Friday, picked up another rider in NYC on the way. Left our motel room at 3AM yesterday to get to Woodstock VT in time for the 4:00 AM the start. Weather was perfect, too cold at the start, too hot in the middle of the day, too cold at the finish, can you beat that? Also a lot of tailwinds that created a pocket of hot stale air around me on some of the climbs. You just can't win!

This is a fast route with a lot of long gentle climbing. The cue sheet is two pages long. Several times we stayed on the same road for 20 or miles.

Despite many "moose crossing" signs I saw no moose, nor deer, nor indeed any wildlife at all. The scenery is spectacular, though.

I was the last rider to finish, in a bit over 20 hours. I thought I was pretty fast, but everyone else was faster.

Last edited by rhm; 08-04-19 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 06:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Thanks for the report, I keep thinking about riding one of their brevets. I hate to feel ungrateful, but tailwinds on a climb on a hot day really stink. Of course, headwinds on a hot day arent' that great either.
Old 08-05-19, 08:09 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Wow, for me 20h on a 400k is relatively fast. The others must be putting the hammer down.
Old 08-06-19, 05:43 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Yeah, I am much more likely to see a second sunrise on a 400k than to do it in 20 hours. I got close my first year of rando. I was happy to ride one in 22 hours last year. Although the huge climbs at 190 miles might have slowed me down a little on that ride.
Old 08-06-19, 10:14 PM
clasher

The only time I came close to 20h on a 400K when was I abandoned a 600K this year and that was still 20 and a half. Next year I'd like to do a 20h 400K.

The last weekend in July I did a 300/200K weekend and there was ~3500m on the 300K and ~2500 on the 200K. Both 6am starts... I was feeling really strong and was 15:32 on the 300 and 11:57 on the 200, probably could have been quicker on the 200 but didn't want to push it too hard. Both days I stopped for some longer sit-down meals since it was really hot both days. Gorgeous scenery since both rides started in Bancroft, Ontario in the middle of the Canadian shield.

This past weekend I did the Manitoulin 1000K and had amazing ride. The weather was perfect, days were warm but not over 30C like we'd had in July. It did get cold at night. Due to it being a holiday weekend and in remote areas, we were limited with hotels so we stopped at ~310km for our first sleep and left there around 2am... it was cold that morning, ~4C for a couple hours is what our GPSes were saying. The organizer told us to expect this so I was prepared though I could have used a set of toe covers for my summer shoes, oversocks didn't quite keep my toes warm enough. We had a support driver to do drop bags and water refills in a couple of spots where there are no services or stores, so that was really nice not to have to bring a cambelbak or water purifier. The second overnight was also cold, though only going down to 8C and we left at 4am with 330km on the last day. I had driven many of the roads on this ride but also hadn't been through some areas so it was nice to experience familiar roads on a bike finally and to see some new areas. I finished around 66:45 hours. I got around 10 hours of sleep between the two nights, which isn't all different from what I normally get somtimes! Here is a link to my photos from the ride: https://www.flickr.com/photos/clashe...7710148074636/

Last edited by clasher; 08-07-19 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 08:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

thanks for posting the pictures. I always wanted to take more pictures, but can't make myself stop
Old 08-07-19, 10:12 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
A couple weeks ago my wife saw a 2009 Bacchetta Strada recumbent on our local FB marketplace for $350, so I decided to buy it and ride it on the GLR Psychedelic Cow 400k on Saturday. The guys in the recumbent sub-forum were really helpful getting the bike setup and me ready for the ride. If you're interested in the back-story you can read it here. Riding the recumbent was quite different than my uprights and took some getting used to.

The Psychedelic Cow 400k was a really nice loop through northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin with just about perfect weather. I was in a group of 4 that rode most of the day together which always makes the ride more enjoyable We finished in just over 21 hours. While I'm glad to have had the experience, I'm going back to my uprights for the rest of the season.

Curious, I looked up my times on RUSA and have never completed a 400k in under 20 hours, between 20 & 21, sometimes longer. I'm sure I could do it faster, I finished the first day of the MMM 1,000k, which was 430k in 19 hours, but I don't really have any motivation to ride a 400k fast. If I finish in 18 or 21 hours, I still finish in the dark and have enough time to sleep and have a pretty normal day on Sunday, so I tend to keep the pace pretty relaxed and the stops relatively inefficient.
Old 08-07-19, 11:59 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
On Saturday, I completed my first 200 in two years. The last 200 was on a fixed gear on a pretty flat course. After that, I said I would never do another fixed gear 200, and definitely not in the mountains. So, when the opportunity came up this year to do a 200 in the mountains (Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies), naturally I started thinking about riding it on a fixed gear. Thank-you to some of you on this sub-forum for the encouragement.

This was a simple out-and-back with a minor detour on the way out for some extra climbing. 80% of the climbing is on the way out, with lots of descending on the way back. Three of us started on a typically cool morning (about 10C) under heavy cloud. Thankfully, the only precipitation was very periodic and brief light showers. Things started somewhat badly when I got a pinch flat only 5km into the ride. I told the other guys to ride on ahead, but they stuck with me while I changed the tube. My spare had a removable valve core which came out when I tried to unscrew the pump from the valve. Tried that twice and then went to my backup spare tube, which worked. Next time, I'll try unscrewing the hose from the pump before unscrewing the hose from the valve to release the hose pressure first. So, we lost almost 15 minutes to that stupidity.

Once the climbing started, we got separated; somewhat surprisingly, I ended up ahead. One of the guys was having back trouble which affected his ability to do standing climbs, so he spun up the hills slowly in low gear. We were all only a few minutes apart at the first checkpoint (50km), and after that, we got separated again and rode the rest solo.

Notable experiences from riding this fixed include:
- Climbing is tough in a high gear, but more bearable than I expected. On moderate grades, I was able to maintain standing climbs indefinitely without going anaerobic. On a long climb with the steepest grades (>10%), I did go anaerobic and had to alternate between walking and riding.
- Descending is worse than climbing. I'm sure my brake pads lost a couple of mm from keeping my speed in check. And it doesn't take much. Speeds higher than 42km/h started to get uncomfortable after a while, which was easy to get to even with a -2% grade.
- The worst part of the ride was riding 5km uphill into a stiff wind. Just before the turnaround at the highest elevation, the terrain opened up and we got slammed with a headwind. Wow, did I ever wish I had a lower gear at that point. Apart from that short bit, the winds were not too bad.
- The relief that comes from the ability to coast on a long distance ride cannot be underestimated. I was pretty miserable on the last 75km because I couldn't rest on the frequent descents. The ride would have definitely been much more enjoyable if I had been able to coast.

Finished in 9:30. Overall a worthwhile experience. My misery and pain was my own doing, and I accept it. As I said before, I'll never do another long distance ride on a fixed gear, and definitely not in the mountains. Until next time, of course. (There's a 300 coming up on my radar that skims the mountains and spends a lot of time in the foothills. If I do that one, I guarantee it will be on a multi-geared bike.)

Kudos to the federal government for resurfacing the roads over the last couple years. Brand-new edge-to-edge pavement, smooth as glass. Last time I rode in that area, the roads were quite rough.

Last edited by groovestew; 08-07-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 06:05 PM
mac mini 

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm

I rode New England Randonneurs' "ah Canada" 400k yesterday. That's a long drive for me, but I wanted to do a long ride and I haven't ridden in Vermont before.

Drove up on Friday, picked up another rider in NYC on the way. Left our motel room at 3AM yesterday to get to Woodstock VT in time for the 4:00 AM the start. Weather was perfect, too cold at the start, too hot in the middle of the day, too cold at the finish, can you beat that? Also a lot of tailwinds that created a pocket of hot stale air around me on some of the climbs. You just can't win!

This is a fast route with a lot of long gentle climbing. The cue sheet is two pages long. Several times we stayed on the same road for 20 or miles.

Despite many "moose crossing" signs I saw no moose, nor deer, nor indeed any wildlife at all. The scenery is spectacular, though.

I was the last rider to finish, in a bit over 20 hours. I thought I was pretty fast, but everyone else was faster.

I did that ride with my wife in 2017. It's a really nice route. We raced up the final mountain before Woodstock at I guess about 11:00 pm. I beat her by about 15 feet and spit out a piece my lung at the top. She said she let me win. We took it easy going down and it was a good thing. A deer jumped out in front of us. In 2016 a fellow randonneur had barrel rolled his submarine recumbent down the same mountain so we were a bit spooked. Again, its a nice route and rolls nicely, even the final mountain.
Old 09-09-19, 10:31 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Psychedelic Eagle 200K

An Emu in the Wisconsin countryside. Apparently it is a thing up in this area to raise them. Who knew?

After a 17 month streak, I didn't do any brevets (or 200K perms) in July or August. I did ride some populaires and permanents but had other cycling adventures that I wanted to do instead. This past Saturday was the Psychedelic Eagle 200K that started from Woodstock, IL and went north up to Eagle, WI. We had really nice weather with the exception of the headwinds on the stretches where we were going west. The weather forecast had said 6-8 mph but the winds ended up being stronger than that. Combined with rollers in that area, I got dropped but regrouped with another friend, @abshipp in Eagle. Had company most of the rest of the ride. It was nice to catch up with friends. Finished in under 11 hours which is good for me. I'm not a fast rider.
@kingston was doing the 600K that also started from Woodstock on Saturday. There was a 400K loop and then they did the 200K that we rode on Saturday. Not sure if he got wet as there was rain down by me on Sunday morning. Hopefully he will check in with an update.

Next up is our season closer 200K starting in Evanston in 2 weeks. We are also planning out next year's ride calendar this month. A lot of fun things to look forward to in 2020!

Last edited by GadgetGirlIL; 09-09-19 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-10-19, 12:37 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Puff the Magic 600k was nice. It's a great route with some hills, but nothing too major. Just enough to keep it interesting. One of our riders finished on a fat-bike, which I thougt was super impressive. Weather was pretty good. 55-70 the whole time. A little drizzle on Sunday, but not too bad. I brought my raincoat but never put it on. Finished the first 400k in around 18h30m. On Sunday I turned left when I should have turned right at the first control and didn't realize it until I got to the next control going the wrong way, so I got a 75k bonus to get back on track. Ended up finishing around 8:30p on Sunday, which was a few hours later than I was planning. Good reminder to always bring your lights and reflective gear even if you plan to finish before it gets dark, because you just never know. The etrex is great until the route doubles back on itself and it's not clear which way to go. I've made similar navigation mistakes in the past, but this was the worst one. In the future I'm going to break up the route into segments to eliminate any overlap.
Old 09-10-19, 01:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

wow, that's an impressive number of bonus miles. Great that you finished.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.