Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best drill for wheelbuilding?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 06:54 PM
alaska
and an empty road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to purchase a new drill for my shop to speed up wheelbuilds. I will be using it with a PS Holy Driver or Unior nipple driver. I'm currently using a standard cordless drill we have various purposes and I'm finding it too large/heavy for this more delicate task. I have found numerous "electric screwdrivers" that seem to be the right size and power, but they all seem to be one set speed. Unior/Lifu nipple driver options open the door for non-chuck drills, but variable speed seems to be absent for these options.

Anyone using a drill for wheelbuilds? What do you use and what's your experience?
Old 01-15-19, 09:23 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
We tried an electric screwdriver way back when but found it far more awkward to use then the tried and trued Bicycle Research nipple driver. I've also tried a Yankee but it too was awkward to use. Andy
Old 01-15-19, 11:06 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with the smaller Black and Decker 2 speed cordless screwdrivers. It looks like a smaller size electric drill. I also have a cheap Harbor Freight drill that cost $9.99. It works pretty well, but it's only 1 speed, so it's a little slower.
Basically something that accepts a 1/4" driver bit is what you want to look for. I would go and try a few out and find what feels best in your hand. I've built thousands of wheels since the 1980's, and for me the electric driver is by far the fastest method.
I've always made my own nipple driver bits by grinding the corners off a standard flat head screwdriver bit as well.
Old 01-15-19, 11:49 PM
alaska
and an empty road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little bit more searching tuned up exactly what I'm looking for at Melody Wheel Works.

Except the Festool TXS is $329 CAD for me. So now the question is, what's like the Festool but cheaper?
Festool TXS
Old 01-16-19, 01:05 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
There are a bunch of cordless drills on the market.

Milwaukee makes a good cordless, both impact driver, and drill, although hopefully you won't need to be using the impact feature on your nipples. I know the drill is variable speed, I don't remember about the impact driver, something was slightly different with it.

However, for your shop needs, I wonder if there would be something a lot lighter? Simple cordless screwdriver, with several spare batteries.

I saw one that was slightly over-sized, halfway between a screwdriver and nut driver. I thought Ryobi, but I don't see it.

It looks like DeWalt makes a mid sized cordless screwdriver. 7.2V.

https://cordlessdrillzone.com/best-c...driver-review/
Old 01-16-19, 09:00 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I'm wondering if a power driver will really speed you up much. I happen to have laced up 2 wheels this morning and used a manual driver to do the initial tightening. This took me less than 2 seconds per spoke. If a power driver saved me 1 second per spoke, that would be only bit more than a half a minute saved per wheel. That would mean you would have to lace 120 wheels to save an hours time. Assuming that you pay the builder $25 per hour, you would pay for the Festool drill in 10 hours - equivalent to lacing 1,200 wheels. Build that many wheels? I will attest to the quality of other Festool products.

Power drivers are great for taking a wheel apart, though.
Old 01-16-19, 09:47 AM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by hoopdriver

Power drivers are great for taking a wheel apart, though.
+1
Old 01-16-19, 01:04 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alaska
Except the Festool TXS is $329 CAD for me. So now the question is, what's like the Festool but cheaper?
Festool TXS
Bosch 12V. It's the smallest driver out there.

Old 01-16-19, 01:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fwiw,

I, like Andy, go around my wheel counting turns of the crank screwdriver, a little at a time , to bring all the spokes up equally .,

As a Result, I have wheels that are still round and true, & 30 + years old..

have a big production run? invest in a machine that also turns the nipples , but does all of them at once..

Agree .. You may speed up in the tear down, replacing a damaged rim.. & save spokes...

Vs Bolt cutter and recycle the metal..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-19 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 01:34 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
On my ride this morning I thought to myself that perhaps I was a bit too hasty in questioning the actual need for a powered nipple driver. As thoughts do, mine diverged into other experiences with other power tools. Being an amateur woodworker and boat builder, I have 5 power drills, 3 of them cordless, yet despite doing a lot of work in my shop this week I used none of them. Instead, whenever I needed to bore a small diameter hole, I would reach for my favorite "cordless" drill, a early 20th Century German-made eggbeater. I had never thought about chucking in a nipple driver bit and using it for wheels; however I have another set to build up this week so I plan on giving it a try. Anyhow, the reason that I like this so much is that it 1)works great, 2)never needs charging, and 3) sounds like a bicycle when I'm cranking it. These old eggbeater drills are commonly available on ebay for as little as $20. They may need a bit of work, but they are easy to restore.

Old 01-16-19, 01:39 PM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
^^^ the problem with the "eggbeater" is you need 2 hands to use it.
Old 01-16-19, 01:45 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Here is a little guy with a friendly price , and it's a vari . speed .
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10529A-...76736873&psc=1

Old 01-16-19, 02:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I use the eggbeater drill for tiny sized twist drills .. like numbered sizes....
Old 01-16-19, 02:14 PM
alaska
and an empty road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sal Bandini
Bosch 12V. It's the smallest driver out there.

This is exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for, thank you. This is now my top contender.

Originally Posted by markwesti
Here is a little guy with a friendly price , and it's a vari . speed .
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10529A-...76736873&psc=1

Thanks for suggesting a Close Quarter drill. I hadn't heard of this category but it seems like the right stuff, albeit corded.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I, like Andy, go around my wheel counting turns of the crank screwdriver, a little at a time , to bring all the spokes up equally .,

As a Result, I have wheels that are still round and true, & 30 + years old..

have a big production run? invest in a machine that also turns the nipples , but does all of them at once..

Agree .. You may speed up in the tear down, replacing a damaged rim.. & save spokes...

Vs Bolt cutter and recycle the metal..

This is exactly what I want to avoid. I'm eliminating tasks that take precision and attention to detail that can be skipped by just having the right tool. As a shop procedure I need to insure that all my mechanics do it uniformly and saying "carefully count each rotation" is stupid. An adjustable length probe driver speeds up the ACCURACY of the process.
Old 01-16-19, 02:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

But that is why hand built wheels take rime and are better for it.. want mass production?

.. Buy a wheel production tensioning machine.... (they're a few K$) they use those in wholesaler's warehouse wheelbuilding..

https://www.hollandmechanics.com/machinery/

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-16-19 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 02:32 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Thanks for suggesting a Close Quarter drill. I hadn't heard of this category but it seems like the right stuff, albeit corded.
Yes, but a corded drill will be lighter than almost anything else of equal size. Weight matters when you're holding something for me than a few minutes.

$0.02
Old 01-16-19, 02:39 PM
alaska
and an empty road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Yes, but a corded drill will be lighter than almost anything else of equal size. Weight matters when you're holding something for me than a few minutes.

$0.02
I agree about the weight being important, but this Bosch drill is 1.8lbs and this corded close quarter is 3.2lbs so....
Old 01-16-19, 02:50 PM
Sal Bandini

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Did you see the size of that corded drill? It's huge.
Old 01-16-19, 05:09 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm just a hobbyist building a few wheels a year so I'm pretty slow, but tightening the nipples is one of the least time consuming steps for me.
I made this little nipple driver out of a flat-blade screwdriver and a file handle. The tip is 3mm long so it tightens every spoke exactly the same then disengages.
Old 01-16-19, 05:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Why bottom our the nipple on 1 spoke before moving on to the next? how will you keep the rim round that way?
Old 01-16-19, 06:04 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Why bottom our the nipple on 1 spoke before moving on to the next? how will you keep the rim round that way?
When I lace the wheel all the nipples are engaged a little differently because I thread them on with my fingers, so the tool gets all the nipples to the same thread engagement while making the wheel close to radially true. If the spokes are the right length the driver disengages easily before the nipples are too tight.
Old 01-16-19, 06:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Automated, stepper controller so it turns only a full turn.. or less?

Foredom flex shaft drive
+ jacobs chuck + foot controller ?

You wont have motor weight to support , just the tip.

Jewelry maker's tool ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-17-19 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 07:33 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This is exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for, thank you. This is now my top contender.

This is exactly what I want to avoid. I'm eliminating tasks that take precision and attention to detail that can be skipped by just having the right tool. As a shop procedure I need to insure that all my mechanics do it uniformly and saying "carefully count each rotation" is stupid. An adjustable length probe driver speeds up the ACCURACY of the process.

Those close-quarter drills are remarkably un-useful. Surprised that they're even still on the market.

I use the small Makita tool pictured (no longer made) for cabinet pulls, electrical devices, etc.- handy,

but also don't see how using one would result in a radially true wheel.
Old 01-16-19, 07:57 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Those close-quarter drills are remarkably un-useful. Surprised that they're even still on the market.
They're actually pretty good for drilling holes for braze-ons /in-situ/ inside the triangle of an otherwise assembled frame, if you use a "mechanics" length bit. That said, due to the transmission required to change the motor's driving plane, they are heavier than a standard drill.

A modern, light duty (3/8" capacity chuck) corded drill with no hammer function and a simple 1 speed transmission should easily come in at 1.5 pounds. The funny thing here is that a cheaper tool will be lighter than a high quality tool, since the more expensive one is built to last. An air-powered tool can be there same weight, or lighter; If attached to a ceiling mounted retractable hose, even that weight can be mitigated. The downside, of course, is the cost of such a tool.
Old 01-16-19, 08:08 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
I've built hundreds of wheels and never felt a need to use power tools. The Bicycle Research nipple driver mentioned above is a time saver in getting all the nipples to the same starting point for tensioning. I'm not sure that a drill would do it any faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.