Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

TdF 2019

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 02:25 AM
larscjoh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TdF 2019

Hi

We are going to Alps to watch stage 16-20, (this is our first time).

When is to mountain-passes closing for traffic(motorhome) and cyclists on stage days?
Like Col du Galibier, Val Thorens, Col de l'Iseran, La Sentinelle?
Do we have to come the afternoon before?

Why isn't stage 17s profil offical yet?

-Lars
Old 01-28-19, 03:25 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by larscjoh
Hi

We are going to Alps to watch stage 16-20, (this is our first time).

When is to mountain-passes closing for traffic(motorhome) and cyclists on stage days?
Like Col du Galibier, Val Thorens, Col de l'Iseran, La Sentinelle?
Do we have to come the afternoon before?

Why isn't stage 17s profil offical yet?

-Lars
https://www.letour.fr/en/overall-route
https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-17
Old 01-28-19, 06:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Many people drive and park along the big mountain stages days in advance to secure spots. Having been to the Giro, I would not expect to show up each morning, drive up a pass and find a convenient spot.
Old 01-28-19, 10:26 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Way back in 1994 (during military career) when I lived in southern Spain, a friend and I drove up to watch one of the stages in the Pyrenees. It was a stage that finished at a mountaintop at a ski resort...Luz-Ardiden. Only a single 14-mile road to the mountaintop. We ended up camping up there...along with thousands of others. Here are a few things you might want to consider.

- Since we got to the mountaintop the afternoon before the stage I don't know exactly when the road was/will be closed to auto traffic. Regardless, there will be tons of traffic so plan for that (and departure).
- Though the road was closed to cars, they did let cyclist ride it.
- Camping on the mountain. There were thousands of people. It was loud and rowdy all night long. The ski resort was closed. There were no toilets/porta-potties. No food vendors. Road was closed so a drive into town was out of the question. Car was blocked in anyway. Take whatever food and beverage you'll need. Almost impossible to find level ground to pitch a tent on...consequently had to sleep on a slant. FUN! Rain would have added to this experience.

Edited to add: This was a memorable experience. I'm glad I did it. But I doubt that I'd do it again (unless I was much younger). There are advantages to viewing on a climb rather than along a flat area where the peloton speeds by in couple of seconds and then it's all over. On the climb, the riders are spread out, and going much slower comparatively.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-28-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
There were thousands of people. It was loud and rowdy all night long. The ski resort was closed. There were no toilets/porta-potties. No food vendors. Road was closed so a drive into town was out
Reminds me of the "mountain" time trial stage when I went to the Giro in '95. We rode both climbs before the stage started. We were actually allowed to ride across the finish line and then head back down to watch the start via a different route. Many people seemed drunk. I remember seeing one guy chugging wine out of a glass jug. People had BBQ grills going. I got jeered by someone for wearing a Gan jersey at an Italian race. While this was during the day, the landscape looked like a giant party had been held the night before.
Old 01-28-19, 01:42 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Here's a panaramic view of the mountaintop when I went.

A few other pics from that day

Frankie Andreu

Marco Pantani

Lance Armstrong pre-cancer.

Miguel Indurain

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-29-19 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-28-19, 02:59 PM
indyfabz

Sweet! The year I went to the Giro Pantani got injured while training and sat out the race to heal for the TdF. The day we rode to the Bianchi factory for the stage finish he was out spinning around in his full Carrera kit. Rode right passed us going in the other direction. At home I have a great shot of El Diavolo starting the climb of the Col d'Agnello. That stage had to be shortened day because of an avalanche at the summit, so the riders never made it to Briancon in France.

Giro d'Italia - Italy
Old 01-29-19, 05:44 AM
indyfabz

Claudio! Tony Rominger, the ultimate tour winner, in the pink jacket.

Old 01-29-19, 09:29 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Excuse my language, but bugger! Once again the TdF is ignoring the region where I live. Ours is a pretty area , with heaps of good restaurants, excellent if little known wine, and decent places to stay, but not on the TdF map, apparently. It could do with a tourism boost, but, no, once again it’s same old, same old. Ah well, maybe next year after I’ve written some stiff letters to the organisers.
Old 02-04-19, 01:29 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Excuse my language, but bugger! Once again the TdF is ignoring the region where I live. Ours is a pretty area , with heaps of good restaurants, excellent if little known wine, and decent places to stay, but not on the TdF map, apparently. It could do with a tourism boost, but, no, once again it’s same old, same old. Ah well, maybe next year after I’ve written some stiff letters to the organisers.
My understanding is that local cities and regions pay the Tour for the "privelege" of having the tour pass through. or stop or start in a particular place. It could be that the local authorities in your region are on to this scam, and put their resources to better use. Last year I happened to be in a city where a Tour stage started, it was a big loud carnival, lots of advertising, and cars, and more cars, team cars, support cars, publicity cars, Gendarmes, Police, officials etc. Oh yes, there was the peloton that went by in a blur.

Almost as dumb as the Superbowl.
Old 02-05-19, 02:16 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, you are, of course, partly correct, but mostly for the early stages, which can and often do start in different countries. I wouldn't compare it with the superbowl, of which I have to say I've only read, as there is a big knock-on effect for tourism after the TdF.