Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perks for the 55 and older rider?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 10:35 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts

I hit the threshold at IHOP for the “old folks” menu, though I still order regular items. So I wonder if there are any known bicycle perks or discounts for those past the golden anniversary of living? I’m learning to ask for the senior discount every time I get sticker shock. As I always looked for discounts (kid prices) when my girls were young, I might as well take advantage of being old.w
Old 04-02-19, 11:17 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
You don't have to go to work anymore because you're retired. It's easy to find ride days when there isn't a 40 hour work week in the way.
Old 04-02-19, 11:49 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
You don't have to go to work anymore because you're retired. It's easy to find ride days when there isn't a 40 hour work week in the way.
Two years away for me. The countdown has started...
Old 04-03-19, 04:16 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Two years away for me. The countdown has started...
Regardless of what people tell you, "nothing" is very doable and enjoyable
Old 04-03-19, 04:43 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Seems like around here senior discounts start at 62. I just hit that mark this year and the only cycling related discount I can think of is I can now get the US National Parks lifetime pass for $90. In 2017 my wife and I went to Yellowstone and Glacier and did hiking and biking - the pass was actually cheaper then but we didn't qualify. Occasional bike around here (DC area) on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, about the only place to use it locally biking!
Old 04-03-19, 06:35 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I'm not aware of any bicycle related discounts for seniors but I do always try to remember to ask at almost any other place I go. Like you said, when I get a little "sticker shock" it usually reminds me to ask. Right now there are only a couple that I probably use on a regular basis, like a couple of local restaurants and the movies. It pays to ask. The minimum age is different at many places. If I'm not mistaken I think I've seen as low as 55.
Old 04-03-19, 06:39 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
55 is the frequent demarcation for "seniors" in a lot of places around here. I'm well past that, but I still have trouble asking for the discount. If they ask 'do you have any discounts?', I'll grudgingly admit to qualifying as a 'senior' but I have difficulty declaring it unprompted. It's a peter pan thing.

Last edited by jon c.; 04-03-19 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-03-19, 06:41 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I thought so. I’ve been working since I was 16, time to enjoy life.

I’ve got plans...BIG plans...and they all involve cycling, cycling, cycling. OK, there is also beekeeping, gardening and playing with the dogs.

Old 04-03-19, 07:11 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Disagree strongly. Doing "nothing" every day soon becomes a routine, just like going to work every day was, and you can (very easily) adjust to the new work-free schedule in a few weeks. You adjust your expectations, and have about the same number of "good days" and "bad days" relatively speaking. Boredom becomes an issue and your mind starts inventing problems out of things that didn't used to bother you.

Terrible things the neighbors are doing, real or imagined health issues, noise, finances, relatives, pets, politics, family issues, inactivity, idleness, isolation, relationships with other people, whatever. You will find plenty of things to worry, obsess, and stress-out about. Doing nothing can become every bit as draining as going to work every day. And an idle life without a "purpose" (i.e., going to some stupid job every day) is fertile ground for depression, so it often takes a toll on your mental health too.

So I think "doing nothing" is highly overrated. Don't believe me? Don't get out of bed for a week, and see what happens.
Old 04-03-19, 09:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
MacDonald's coffee, $0.55. Although since it takes 90 minutes to cool down to drinkable, that's hardly a cycling perk.
Old 04-03-19, 09:27 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,228 Posts
Major discount for retired cyclists = you have time to learn how to wrench your bicycle, or time to wrench more/better. Save on all your repairs, upgrades and frameset builds.
You also have time to watch CL, flee-bay, FB, etc for used bikes in good shape so to build up a selection for your increased cycling time.
Old 04-03-19, 09:28 AM
nomadmax 

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Disagree strongly. Doing "nothing" every day soon becomes a routine, just like going to work every day was, and you can (very easily) adjust to the new work-free schedule in a few weeks. You adjust your expectations, and have about the same number of "good days" and "bad days" relatively speaking. Boredom becomes an issue and your mind starts inventing problems out of things that didn't used to bother you.

Terrible things the neighbors are doing, real or imagined health issues, noise, finances, relatives, pets, politics, family issues, inactivity, idleness, isolation, relationships with other people, whatever. You will find plenty of things to worry, obsess, and stress-out about. Doing nothing can become every bit as draining as going to work every day. And an idle life without a "purpose" (i.e., going to some stupid job every day) is fertile ground for depression, so it often takes a toll on your mental health too.

So I think "doing nothing" is highly overrated. Don't believe me? Don't get out of bed for a week, and see what happens.
Not one of those things bother me, I even had to look at a calendar to see what day of the week it is today If there's one thing metastatic cancer taught me; it's ALL little stuff
Old 04-03-19, 10:02 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I started looking into the "senior" discounts when I turned 50 (a long time ago at this point). I noticed that most of them weren't really a discount at all. Consider the senior menu at Denny's. It's actually less expensive, more selection, and just as much food to order a regular breakfast and share it with your spouse or riding partner.

I think they figure we're all older and we're easier to fool.

Old 04-03-19, 10:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I am only 54, but I still got an offer from Nigeria to accept funds for a percentage. Just sent them the $10,000 transaction fee I had to front. Waiting for the funds to be wired to me. Going to use them to get a custom ti bike with eTap. and carbon wheels. Jealous?
Old 04-03-19, 10:44 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am only 54, but I still got an offer from Nigeria to accept funds for a percentage. Just sent them the $10,000 transaction fee I had to front. Waiting for the funds to be wired to me. Going to use them to get a custom ti bike with eTap. and carbon wheels. Jealous?
Old 04-03-19, 10:47 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Many marijuana dispensaries are offering senior discounts.
Old 04-03-19, 10:54 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
My very first senior discount was on a riverboat tour in Sacramento - I thought it was a low bar at 55, but I gladly took it.
Bought some beer on the way home at a convenience store and got carded.

Senior discount and carded for alcohol on the same day!

Old 04-03-19, 11:20 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
If there's one thing metastatic cancer taught me; it's ALL little stuff
This.

There is an old Italian saying ... "Dolce far Niente", which means "the sweetness of doing nothing."

Strangely enough, doing nothing and doing it with elan is something I have to work on ... it's an art.

Old 04-03-19, 12:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
dam, I remember 10 yrs ago when I joined this 50+ club ... guess it's a good thing I didn't eat all the cheese cake! perks of being older? old guys know stuff. how's that?
Old 04-03-19, 03:09 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
The only reason I say
”I did nothing today”
is
i forgot what I did
But i’m tired & sleep well every night:
somebody is
:cutting the firewood, mowing grass, riding
cleaning,servicing my bike,
planting -weeding garden
loosing my golf balls
filling the freezer with fish, garden veggies etc..etc..etc.........

Retirement is all it’s cracked up to be,
just

hard to remember the multitude of stuff you get to do each day
Old 04-03-19, 03:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A few years ago, when I was still in my 40s, my wife and I went to a movie and I was surprised how reasonable the tickets were. It was early evening and I thought that maybe we just got in the matinee window. Then I looked at my ticket and realized the kid at the box office had given us the senior discount. I assume it was the hair which was already mostly gray.

As for cycling, at 55 I can take retirement and finally have time to ride as much as I want. And I can start racing M55+. But that's not much comfort because all the fast guys who've been killing me since before will also be getting older too.
Old 04-03-19, 04:24 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts

Not one of those things bother me, I even had to look at a calendar to see what day of the week it is today If there's one thing metastatic cancer taught me; it's ALL little stuff
Agreed with your first reply and the follow up, only I'm playing the waiting for mets to appear game. While friends are out riding EVERY DAY or doing something CONSTRUCTIVE, doing nothing is not an issue one tiny iota.
Old 04-04-19, 08:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts

Suggest that you not project a personal issue on to others, and stop using variations of the word "you" in place of "I."

I've enjoyed doing "nothing" for the past 6 years since retiring.
Old 04-05-19, 11:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Movies at matinee prices all the time..
Old 04-06-19, 12:45 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I even had to look at a calendar to see what day of the week it is today
Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.