Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I’ve crossed over to the dark side (e-bike content)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 11:34 PM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts

So, after 6 1/2 years of my 25km commute (often twice a day) I have bowed to the inevitable, followed my wife’s example and got a Pedelec.

It’s restricted to 16mph so I still get some exercise but, by God, it’s a wonderful thing.

It’s utterly hilarious to blat around the woods and tracks near me here in Frankfurt.

Bosch middle motor, 400wA battery, 1x9 Shimano drivetrain, lock out fork, hydraulic brakes.

i got it used for €900, which is just over half what they retail for now, and just under half what it cost new in 2016.

Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 04-15-19, 10:10 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Looks like fun! I'm pretty fortunate to have a short commute, but for one like yours, I'd consider going to the dark side as well.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-15-19, 11:52 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Yeah, I think 8 miles each way - with hills - is a reasonable justification for getting one.

My best time on my drop bar commuter bike was 29mins, and that was taking loads of risks and I was a right sweaty mess at the end.

I do it in 30 mins now consistently and - pretty much - easily. It justs flattens out the terrain so effectively.

Also, there is zero temptation to jump a red light as the thing whips you back up to speed so well after a stop.

They’re not for everyone, but this one works well for my circumstances.
Likes For Barchettaman:
Old 04-16-19, 10:05 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
First of all, it looks perfect, as, if I bought an ebike, I would buy one just like that, though I would put slick tires on it. Second of all, you got an amazing price. Third of all, it's so much fun!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-19, 10:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Surly brought out a new version of the Big Dummy with a Bosch motor. It looks good but... the price tag is astonishing!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-17-19, 04:35 PM
Barchettaman

Originally Posted by noglider
First of all, it looks perfect, as, if I bought an ebike, I would buy one just like that, though I would put slick tires on it. Second of all, you got an amazing price. Third of all, it's so much fun!
I have a set of Big Apple-style tyres that I got a few years ago for very little money, that I’ll throw on I think.

They are a hoot to ride. Super things.
Old 04-26-19, 01:09 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I feel like some prices are just not right when you compare bikes, so being able to find a bargain is always nice – especially when we’re talking e-bikes.

Nice you mention you still like to exercice. For most people 16 mph is more than enough assistance anyway. And leaves you more battery power.

'njoy!
Old 04-28-19, 01:52 AM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Congrats! I’m waiting for the Brompton Electric to be released in the US so I can convert to the dark side too. My workplace is at the very top of a hill as well. Coincidentally my commute also is 8 miles one way.
Old 04-28-19, 02:47 AM
skou

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on that one! Seems like you've got a lot of kilometers in front of you :-)
Old 04-28-19, 07:09 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Following with keen interest, enjoy!
Old 04-28-19, 08:39 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I was blown away by how well-equipped RMV is for e-bikes. I left in 2013 and they've really developed the infrastructure since then. I was also blown away by how much of the Ostend has changed with the EZB being complete. We had friends buy a small house in Maintal (€600k!) And they commute to work by ebike (WB platz and Riedberg).

Good changes all around. Hope that it works well for you!
Old 04-29-19, 09:37 AM
Roccorides

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was surprised to learn that in Europe some ebikes are limited to 16 mph, whereas the same bike in the US is limited to 20. 16 is pretty slow, but so is 20 if you're covering lots of miles on a commute. Even at 16, it's tremendously helpful on hills, through headwinds, or offroad. For long road commutes, I like the Orbea concept . . . provide some assistance while keeping it as close to regular bike weight as possible.

I don't think you should shame yourself, even in jest, by talking about the "dark side." Why people stigmatize ebikes is beyond me. Of all the things there are to worry about in this world, ebikes shouldn't even crack the top one thousand.
Old 04-29-19, 03:06 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That is so cool! Gotta love Cube (and Canyon) bikes. I would be frustrated with the 25kph limit, as I pedal around 20mph. I designed and built a 350 watt bike that cruises around 25mph. Its a fun way to get to work.

One good thing about e bikes is the consistancy and ease of acceleration. On my pedal bike the other day I had a 30mph headwind. Instead of 50 minutes it took me 80 minutes to get home (and I surely wasn't cruising anywhere near 20mph that day).
Old 05-07-19, 07:39 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
That is so cool! Gotta love Cube (and Canyon) bikes. I would be frustrated with the 25kph limit, as I pedal around 20mph. I designed and built a 350 watt bike that cruises around 25mph. Its a fun way to get to work.

One good thing about e bikes is the consistancy and ease of acceleration. On my pedal bike the other day I had a 30mph headwind. Instead of 50 minutes it took me 80 minutes to get home (and I surely wasn't cruising anywhere near 20mph that day).
those are the days when I consider an electric motor something I could live with. I really like an electric bike that looks more like a normal bike though. i have thought that an electric set up for commuting would be perfect on the days I have to get home for something quick I could use the power that day to cut down on commuting time. (11 miles one way commute)
Old 05-07-19, 08:12 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
those are the days when I consider an electric motor something I could live with. I really like an electric bike that looks more like a normal bike though. i have thought that an electric set up for commuting would be perfect on the days I have to get home for something quick I could use the power that day to cut down on commuting time. (11 miles one way commute)
I understand! for a 12 mile commute, the ebike saves about 10 minutes in my case. I build a drop bar bike several years ago that looks just like a normal road bike. Its a lot faster though (to the surprise of many cars).
Old 05-07-19, 08:44 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Roccorides
I was surprised to learn that in Europe some ebikes are limited to 16 mph, whereas the same bike in the US is limited to 20. 16 is pretty slow, but so is 20 if you're covering lots of miles on a commute. Even at 16, it's tremendously helpful on hills, through headwinds, or offroad. For long road commutes, I like the Orbea concept . . . provide some assistance while keeping it as close to regular bike weight as possible.

I don't think you should shame yourself, even in jest, by talking about the "dark side." Why people stigmatize ebikes is beyond me. Of all the things there are to worry about in this world, ebikes shouldn't even crack the top one thousand.
20 mph is slow on the road, but it isn't slow on a bike path or MUP. And if it's too slow for you on the road, just get a proper scooter.

It's not that people are trying to stigmatize e-bikes, it's more that they are trying to make it clear that you are now participating in a different activity. You are now using motorized transport, which in some respects is quite different to a regular bicycle. It doesn't make you a bad person, but to some people it puts you closer to the category of those driving cars and riding motorcycles/scooter than those riding bicycles. Deal with it.
Old 05-07-19, 11:58 AM
Roccorides

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
20 mph is slow on the road, but it isn't slow on a bike path or MUP. And if it's too slow for you on the road, just get a proper scooter.

It's not that people are trying to stigmatize e-bikes, it's more that they are trying to make it clear that you are now participating in a different activity. You are now using motorized transport, which in some respects is quite different to a regular bicycle. It doesn't make you a bad person, but to some people it puts you closer to the category of those driving cars and riding motorcycles/scooter than those riding bicycles. Deal with it.
I stand corrected, sir! No one ever uses terms like "dark side" to refer to ebikes. I don't know where I got that idea!

Of course I deal with it. I deal with far more difficult problems every hour of every day. That's sort of my point: we should focus our concerns on things of more consequence than whether a bicycle has a battery and electric motor attached to it.
Old 05-07-19, 12:26 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Roccorides
I stand corrected, sir! No one ever uses terms like "dark side" to refer to ebikes. I don't know where I got that idea!

Of course I deal with it. I deal with far more difficult problems every hour of every day. That's sort of my point: we should focus our concerns on things of more consequence than whether a bicycle has a battery and electric motor attached to it.
Yeah, solving world hunger, nuclear nonproliferation, blah, blah...

I get your point, but these are the bike forums, so it's an issue we can and should discuss here. And if some moron on an e-bike hits you at just 20mph, or a "slow" 16mph, it might become that much more serious an issue for someone.
Old 05-07-19, 01:37 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I understand! for a 12 mile commute, the ebike saves about 10 minutes in my case. I build a drop bar bike several years ago that looks just like a normal road bike. Its a lot faster though (to the surprise of many cars).
i like the Trek Crossrip + looks like a normal bike with a motor under the hood haha .
Old 05-11-19, 11:39 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Yeah, solving world hunger, nuclear nonproliferation, blah, blah...

I get your point, but these are the bike forums, so it's an issue we can and should discuss here. And if some moron on an e-bike hits you at just 20mph, or a "slow" 16mph, it might become that much more serious an issue for someone.
Are you saying there are not bicyclists riding at 16mph without electric assist? Really?
Old 05-12-19, 04:59 AM
Archwhorides 

Originally Posted by phughes
Are you saying there are not bicyclists riding at 16mph without electric assist? Really?
E-bikes hit *much* harder at that same 16 mph 🤣
Old 05-12-19, 06:07 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
E-bikes hit *much* harder at that same 16 mph 🤣
Most of the German pedelec bikes were substantially more heavy that a standard so the force exerted (assuming momentum conservation after the collision) on a pedestrian or other cyclist would be greater than a similar non-Pedelec variant at the same velocity.
Old 05-12-19, 09:16 AM
Archwhorides 

No argument, P = MV is an equation that really works, and that is why I always carry extra dead-load in my pannier, because the increased momentum makes me a greater threat on the road, LOL. If you respect the physics, the sizable increase in velocity is what makes e-bikes a more significant threat, not the nominal increase in mass.

Let's say you weigh 175 lbs and ride a 40 lb e-bike with a 15 lb backpack at 16 mph limit. Meanwhile I weigh 260 lbs and am on a 22 lb commuter with the same 15 lb backpack at 16 mph. Is your e-bike a greater threat than my commuter?

Originally Posted by acidfast7
Most of the German pedelec bikes were substantially more heavy that a standard so the force exerted (assuming momentum conservation after the collision) on a pedestrian or other cyclist would be greater than a similar non-Pedelec variant at the same velocity.
Old 05-12-19, 09:37 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
No argument, P = MV is an equation that really works, and that is why I always carry extra dead-load in my pannier, because the increased momentum makes me a greater threat on the road, LOL. If you respect the physics, the sizable increase in velocity is what makes e-bikes a more significant threat, not the nominal increase in mass.

Let's say you weigh 175 lbs and ride a 40 lb e-bike with a 15 lb backpack at 16 mph limit. Meanwhile I weigh 260 lbs and am on a 22 lb commuter with the same 15 lb backpack at 16 mph. Is your e-bike a greater threat than my commuter?
I weigh 80kg on my bike (muscle/slender and 188cm only). I would buy a CUBE ebike as shown here.

A CUBE acid 29er pro pedelec weighs 21.1kg.

Making 100kg total (keep the math easy.)

A regular CUBE acid 29er pro weighs 13.5kg.

Thus the different is 8% in Force, which I would consider significant.

Having said that, my personal and bike weights might differ from others thus your mileage may vary.
Old 05-12-19, 09:56 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Two other quick bits of fallacy:

1. Most locales that are reasonable will regulate ebike speed to be consistent with bicycle speed.

2. Probably saw about 1000 people today at the beach and around. Didn't see a single person that was around 120kg in weight. Especially not among the 50 or so cyclists I saw on bikes.

So, I think your example isn't a commonplace occurrence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.